• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

Problem is that that's the place with the bigger thrill rides, which may not suit Nintendo's more family-focussed approach. Assuiming they'd be re-tooling them and not just replacing them

Also, that would mean the removal of Spider-Man. And no-one wants that.

Mind you, I could see them moving into Toon Lagoon. How does a change from "Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges" to "Mario's Flash FLUDD" sound?

Marvel isn't going anywhere. Nintendo will likely replace Toon Lagoon in IoA or Kidzone in USF

HUELEN10

Simpsons ride re-skinned as StarFox: Flight Of The Arwing

Men In Black Alien Attack re-Skinned as Metroid: Galactic Federation Training Sim

Rip Ride Rock It re-skinned as F-Zero: Time Trial Challenge

So lets talk attractions, some people here are already putting up some good ideas.

Mario Kart track is a given. Give me Blue Shells and all dammit
Zelda themed roller coaster 3D experience is probably a given too. Ride through Hyrule.
Luigi's Mansion Haunted House would be awesome(Give me Eternal Darkness theme instead!)
Mario Golf themed Mini-Golf course?
I could see them going the Space Mountain route with Star Fox/Metroid
Splatoon Paintballing? Though it is Universal so maybe water balloon fights instead.
Donkey Kong themed Rain Forest Cafe restaurant?

Then they've still got the likes of Yoshi, Kirby, Animal Crossing, FZero and more they could incorporate.

I could also see them opening a Mini Nintendo World Store at the Orlando Location, and definitely Hollywood if it comes over here.

Possibilities for this are gonna be crazy.

Alphahawk

Problem is that that's the place with the bigger thrill rides, which may not suit Nintendo's more 'accessible to everyone' approach. Assuming they'd be re-tooling them and not just replacing them

Also, that would mean the removal of Spider-Man. And no-one wants that.

Mind you, I could see them moving into Toon Lagoon. How does a change from "Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges" to "Mario's Flash FLUDD" sound?

Still theme parks schew pretty young. I rode my first "real" roller coaster around age ten or so. It'll most likely be a Disneyland type setup where the majority of rides are all ages afairs but there are a couple of roller coasters for the big kids.

I have no talent for video editing..

But I need someone to edit Yoshi into the Jurassic World trailer.

Especially the new trailer. replace all non-raptor dinosaurs with Mario enemies.

Make the new dinosaur Bowser.

Yes..... yes.....

:sighs: So close from that Disneyland dream but I guess this is the next best thing.

Disney has had Marvel for a while and hasn't done shit with it in DL besides meet and greets. At least Unversal gets stuff done.

For anyone who hasn't been to Universal Orlando...you guys are in for a fucking treat.

HUELEN10

Lastly, and most importantly, while having an amazing Nintendo filled day, you hear this while walking out...

http://youtu.be/SlPSjVjK0r4

; _ ;

So bittersweet...

Seriously guys, I'm still in disbelief, this is a dream come true for me, as it is for a lot of you.

I can exactly pinpoint when the idea of a Nintendo theme park entered my mind for the first time: last week of July 1996.

I was 10 and after obsessing over Super Mario RPG all that summer I finally beat it. Got to the ending credits, saw this and my mind began to wonder.

Almost 20 years had to go by for me to hear those fever dreams will be a reality.

http://youtu.be/isZsf_2cKh0

LOCK

And this is the big news of this report for outward expansion.

:) so exciting

I'll predict movie deals will be revealed this year as well.

Donkey Kong's Jungle Cruise

Piranha Plant Slide

Lylat Cruise (like the Star Wars ride in Disneyland)

Mega Man Astro-Blasters (like the Buzz Lightyear ride in Disneyland)

Magicant included in Kirby's Dream Land & Fountain of Dreams

Animal Crossing Village Replica (with real villagers, animalese, and errands to run)

Kid Icarus LIVE: The Musical

Alphahawk

I think this could put Universal parks over Disney for me. I'm almost as excited to see what they do with the hotels. Could you imagine a Mario themed hotel or an Animal Crossing one?

HUELEN10

Donkey Kong's Jungle Cruise

Piranha Plant Slide

Lylat Cruise (like the Star Wars ride in Disneyland)

Mega Man Astro-Blasters (like the Buzz Lightyear ride in Disneyland)

Magicant included in Kirby's Dream Land & Fountain of Dreams

Animal Crossing Village Replica (with real villagers, animalese, and errands to run)

Kid Icarus LIVE: The Musical
Mega man is not Nitendo, get that Non-Nintendo stuff out of my Nintendo Land. Rest of the list looks nice though!
I think this could put Universal parks over Disney for me. I'm almost as excited to see what they do with the hotels. Could you imagine a Mario themed hotel or an Animal Crossing one?
What about Hotel Dusk?

Disney has had Marvel for a while and hasn't done shit with it in DL besides meet and greets. At least Unversal gets stuff done.

For anyone who hasn't been to Universal Orlando...you guys are in for a fucking treat.
Wait wait, there's a reason for that. Disney can't do shit with Marvel at Disney World due to Marvel's previous contract with Universal Orlando.

They could theoretically do something in California's Disneyland but they're out of land! They're tightly packed as it is and Marvel could only exist in California Adventure which is small and without possibilities of expansion! Disneyland Park will never host a Marvel section. It's too traditional, they'd never threat the sanctity of the only park Walt Disney built and saw completed in his lifetime with something as otherworldly as Marvel superheroes.

Wait a decade or two when the Universal Orlando contract with Marvel expires. You can bet your bottom dollar Disney ain't renewing that shit and you'll begin to see Marvel everywhere at Disney World.

Wait wait, there's a reason for that. Disney can't do shit with Marvel at Disney World due to Marvel's previous contract with Universal Orlando.

They could theoretically do something in California's Disneyland but they're out of land! They're tightly packed as it is and Marvel could only exist in California Adventure which is small and without possibilities of expansion! Disneyland Park will never host a Marvel section. It's too traditional, they'd never threat the sanctity of the only park Walt Disney built and saw completed in his lifetime.

Wait a decade or two when the Universal Orlando contract with Marvel expires. You can bet your bottom dollar Disney ain't renewing that shit and you'll begin to see Marvel everywhere at Disney World.

Disney can use Marvel west of the Mississippi River. Universal also has the contract in perpetuity, so don't expect it to go anywhere.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Universal is a million times better than Disney Parks so I'm okay with this.

Of course this gets announced after my girlfriend and I visited the parks for Harry Potter land. It was fun, but this would make us nerd out hardcore.

Converse

Banned
This is smart stuff. I'd be absolutely down for an F-Zero Space Mountain, Donkey Kong mine-cart ride, a Star Fox take on Star Tours or a Mario Kart track. These ideas pretty much write themselves -- eager to see what pans out.

Disney can use Marvel west of the Mississippi River. Universal also has the contract in perpetuity, so don't expect it to go anywhere.
I know they can! I'm saying why you haven't seen much being done at Disneyland Resort. Marvel could only happen as California Adventure and they're out of land as it is!

And what do you mean perpetuity? Surely they can't have a contract as long as "for forever and ever" right? Theme park attractions are huge investments so nothing short of decades is completely expected (recouping those costs must take long).

I'd always think it would be something like "from the moment Universal gets a return on their investment thou shall hold the Marvel license for 20 more years with possibilities of contract extension".

Do you have a source?

Gsnap

Oh sniggidy snap.

As long as it's amazing then this is a dream come true. Ultimately I would have preferred them teaming up with Disney since I'm much more attracted to Disney than I am to Universal.

But as long as it's good I won't complain.

I would love to go to "The Roost", and have Splatoon-themed water gun fights. And of course a super fast F-zero ride must happen. Along with a million other things.

But I kinda doubt Nintendo would actually get enough space to make all the attractions of my dreams. Hopefully this is just the start of something bigger to come though.

Jetku

As a huge Nintendo and Disney World fan I am torn... I'd much prefer this to happen at WDW, especially instead of Avatar land. Hopefully universal does this justice like they did with Harry Potter. This definitely gives me a reason to visit Universal again.

Alphahawk

This is really smart for marketing. Assuming the NX has the same power as the next Xbox and Playstation systems, kids are going to visit Nintendo Land with their parents and then only want to get the console that has Nintendo themed properties.

Heck, even without the power behind it kids are going to go crazy for the WiiU if this thing takes off.

I know they can! I'm saying why you haven't seen much being done at Disneyland Resort. Marvel could only happen as California Adventure and they're out of land as it is!

And what do you mean perpetuity? Surely they can't have a contract as long as "for forever and ever" right? Theme park attractions are huge investments so nothing short of decades is completely expected (recouping those costs must take long).

I'd always think it would be something like "from the moment Universal gets a return on their investment thou shall hold the Marvel license for 20 more years with possibilities of contract extension".

Do you have a source?

Disney could always bulldoze something to make room at DCA.

The Marvel contract basically gives Universal infinite options for renewal as long as they're adequately representing the brand. The contract itself should be online, but I'm repeating what I've heard from other forums that know what they're talking about. It's been a recent topic with rumors going around about a Hulk refurb and an Avengers E ticket at IoA.

Enforced

I want a ride that have different air ride machines from kirby air ride. I want to ride the legendary dragoon. :3
latest

Do you have a source?

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

As a huge Nintendo and Disney World fan I am torn... I'd much prefer this to happen at WDW, especially instead of Avatar land. Hopefully universal does this justice like they did with Harry Potter. This definitely gives me a reason to visit Universal again.
I don't see how Nintendo Land would fit in Animal Kingdom (that's where Avatar Land's being built). I always saw a Nintendo section as something that belongs in Hollywood Studios.

I also wished this was happening at WDW but Nintendo's in good hands. Hey it could've been worse! They cluldve partnered with Sea World!

fi1ip

The most obvious business idea ever. They are finally going to make big money on this.

This is a win win situation for all. Is there a Nintendo fan who would not want to go to real life Nintendo Land?

Gsnap

This is also a great opportunity for Nintendo to bring some lesser known franchises to the forefront.

If they're going to have a super fast rollercoaster then it has to be f-zero, and then you sell f-zero merchandise in the gift shop afterwards and then you make a new f-zero game and people actually buy it.

And of course it would be a great place to just engage with the community by holding smash bros and mario kart tournaments or things like that.

Just.... pleeeeeeeease, make the most of this, Nintendo. Make it a big deal, get kids into it, make tv shows and movies. You've got the ball rolling so just don't let it stop.

a Hyrule Warriors Field where you are recruited by Sheik or Impa to enlist in the Hyrulian Army and reenact epic Zelda battles.

Also, sorry about including a Mega Man themed ride. Just assumed Capcom would the IP to Nintendo by the time the theme park attractions are finalized.

HUELEN10

The most obvious business idea ever. They are finally going to make big money on this.

This is a win win situation for all. Is there a Nintendo fan who would not want to go to real life Nintendo Land?

Assuming it would be mostly Pokemon, which I hope damn well it isn't, I wouldn't be interested; I know I am not alone in that sentiment either.

It's gonna be in Universal Studios Hollywood. Watch.

They'd make soooo much money here.

Assuming it would be mostly Pokemon, which I hope damn well it isn't, I wouldn't be interested; I know I am not alone in that sentiment either.

You're definitely not. The last thing I think most of us would want is mostly pokemon attractions... I'd love to see Hyrule theme'd attractions and exclusive goods. Maybe a miniature Animal Crossing town would be cool to visit. An F-zero coaster obviously. A 3D Fire Emblem And/Or Pikmin attraction. Kirby's dreamland ride. DK's Jungle Mines. (Something akin to Disney's Indiana Jones ride but much more exciting) D The possibilities are endless!

Mario Kart Bumper Cars Battle Mode
Pokemon Snap/Zoo
Super Smash Trophy Case
Super Mario Sunshine Waterslide
Donkey Kong Mine Cart Country
Star Fox Space Ride ft. Metroid

Such endless possibilities...

gimme my cut ninty.

Taker666

I'd imagine lots of repurposed rides/areas rather than things built from the ground up.

Fievel's Playland becomes Super Mario Playland etc.

Gsnap

They should have a Chaos Theater bar and lounge.

They should try really hard to not just stick to the basics: Mario, Zelda, etc.

Kids play smash bros. Kids know who ness is even if they aren't aware of what series he comes from. Ness' simple design would translate well to a costume, so make him one of the mascots and increase Earthbound's popularity.

Same for Pikmin, and many other franchises.

Top Bottom