• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to shut down Wii shopping channel on 2019/01/31

Blizzard

Banned
The first thing I thought of was the shop music, and I see I was already beaten multiple times. It will live on in our hearts.

It feels like a melody from a kinder, more innocent time.

Luigiv

Hmm, looks like I need to go on a wiiware shopping spree within the next 6 months then. At the very least I need to grab Castlevania Rebirth.

Garou

The first thing I thought of was the shop music, and I see I was already beaten multiple times. It will live on in our hearts.

The Wii Shop music had an official CD-release on the Club Nintendo “Touch! Generations”-soundtrack.

Considering it took like 30-60 seconds to load each page and downloading an N64 game took like 30 goddamn minutes, the music got a bit old.

VegiHam

Is there a WiiWare recommendation thread? I kinda wanna go waste money on some trash. If not we should make one to let people know what's worth getting before it's too late.

I'm dreading a Wii U eShop shutdown; it would force me to grab an additional external drive, as I've rotated so much software on and off the built-in 32 GB. Not supporting a convenient standard storage solution like SD cards was easily one of the worst decisions in the design of the Wii U hardware.

If you want to use an SD card as storage on Wii u, buy a USB SD card adapter. I'm pretty sure it works.

Heh I should go boot up my wii, and see what I have to dig up.

I see you can possibly transfer stuff to the WiiU?

You can, and it requires downloading an app from the Wii shop channel.

However, it won't get you around the channel being taken down, as the Wii u uses the wii shop channel and doesn't have Wii digital stuff in the Wii U Store.

The Giant

Banned
Well then this looks like devs will get some extra money from the wii shop now.

The Konami Rebirth series for one thing (CastleVania: The Adventure Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, Contra Rebirth)

Would be awesome if Konami did a hd remaster for Switch for these games.

sheaaaa

"Just"? We're still a year and some months away from this. And it's not like you couldn't rip your own games already if you want to preserve them.

What a massive overreaction. You want to get mad at digital content being lost? Go to the Gravity Rush 2 thread. This issue here is a non-issue.

Many of these games will be lost and unpurchaseable. In what world is this a non issue?

Luigiv

Many of these games will be lost and unpurchaseable. In what world is this a non issue?
In a world where the Wii wasn't cracked right open sure, but that's not the world we live in. The entire wiiware library was already archived years ago.

sheaaaa

In a world where the Wii wasn't cracked right open sure, but that's not the world we live in. The entire wiiware library was already archived years ago.

I get where you're coming from but for me it's a shame these games won't be legally available for purchase in the years to come.

theclaw135

Banned

All the people in denial. Acting like service shutdowns don't happen, or they aren't going to someday be affected by them, whatever other excuses.

None of that matters. Service shutdowns are cold hard documented facts. We can verify it DID occur, and DID affect those who continued to use it.

Is there a WiiWare recommendation thread? I kinda wanna go waste money on some trash. If not we should make one to let people know what's worth getting before it's too late.
I may have to search out an old thread or maybe this news will spawn a new, "last hurrah" thread for VC and WiiWare games.
I guess I'm putting some points on the Wii Shop Channel.
There has never been any widespread issues with using credit cards via Wii Shop, right? May just get a USD gift/credit card and active it for online use via the shop.

My main hitlist would include Excitebike: World Rally and the Wii updates for Tetris and Dr. Mario.

Also would like to grab Rebirth versions of Contra and Castlevania.

Lastly but not leastly, have always been tempted to buy Star Fox 64, Wave Race 64 and 1080 via VC. (Although just picked up Star Fox 64 on 3DS, it's incredible.)

Thoughts on the WiiWare/VC versions of these games?

theclaw135

Banned
Anyhow I might think on Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Not that I need more versions of those. Blaster Master Overdrive could be okay too.

brinstar

Good to know, I'm gonna need to redownload a few stragglers.

I think the only games on there I didn't grab that I wanted was Last Blade 1 and 2, but at this point I'm sure they'll be up on Switch eventually and I could grab them on PS4 as well.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I don't think this is particularly bad, but it does make going digital on Nintendo platforms even more of a concerning proposition than it already was.

dose

For those concerned about redownloading [as opposed to not having money to purchase all you want], all Wiis are moddable (quite easily, actually) and pirates have backed up the entire store and all the games. If you bought content that you can't download because the store goes down, you'll be safe -- simply pirate the game you own and install it on your system. It might be mildly annoying compared to using the store, but it's also mildly annoying to hook up your Wii at all in 2019 so...
I'm not sure why it's in any way mildly annoying to hook up a Wii online, but we shouldn't have to resort to piracy in order to have access to games that we've paid money for. Digital future indeed. It is seriously fucked.

Flintty

According to the FAQ you won't be able to redownload things. It will completely shut down.

That’s fucking bullshit. I need to make sure my Prime Trilogy is downloaded (on U).

Thanks Nintendo, you just made sure I never go digital on any of your platforms.

No.

ご購入いただきました「Wiiウェア」「バーチャルコンソール」の再ダウンロードや、WiiからWii Uへデータを引っ越しする「Wiiからの引っ越し」につきましては、引き続きご利用いただけますが、将来においてはこれらのサービスも終了予定です。

Check the bolded. Redownloads will stay up but will be shut down “sometime in the future” after the day from above.

Hm, do you think Wii to Wii U system transfers will end when redownloads do?

This does spill worry for those going all digital on Nintendo platforms.

Hardly. Wii was an architectural dead end, like how you can’t download iPod Classic games anymore.

Everything Iwata said leading up to “NX”’s formal announcement late last year pointed to Switch being a forward compatible platform where new systems won’t have to “start from zero” in their software library. He even said the future OS should be like iPhone and Android where there’s a common way of programming each hardware system.

Add to that the news that Nvidia and Nintendo’s partnership will last at least 20 years and it’s pretty clear Switch is going to be an iOS-like format where all games are forwards compatible. Thus, there’s no reason to shut off an entire store for it.

(Also worth noting that Microsoft is shutting down the Xbox Live Indie Store next week - because those games are a dead-end).

Either way, I’m not saying Nintendo is right to shut down the Shop Channel (personally I think 2026 would be better), but it’s not a bad sign for Switch owners.

I can't complain too much when they've kept the shop up so long, but I have to wonder why? Surely keeping the servers up costs Nintendo next to nothing, so why take it down?

What games on Wiiware are worth preserving.

From the top of my head:

Hydroventure/Fluidity
Excitebike: World Rally
Motoheroz
Swords and Soldiers
Toki Tori
Lost Winds
Bonsai Barber
MaBoShi: The three Shape arcade
You, Me and the Cubes
Art Style series (Light Trax/Dotstream etc)
Bit Trip series (pointer controls)
FF: My Life as a King
Space Invaders Get Even
FF: My Life as a Darklord
Contra Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth
Star Soldier R
Muscle March
Castlevania Rebirth
Ace Attorney Trilogy (most relaxing/lazy way to play the game, 60fps)
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Ivy the Kiwi

I’m sure others can add to this list. We should do a thread in the run-up to the closure like this one: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286360

iMerc

the wii VC has one of the best collection of retro games on a home console ever.
a shame the servers will be closing, but this was going to happen eventually and being given 1 year notice is more than decent.

i'm actually surprised that a service they put online two console generations ago is still up & running.
gonna be buying some wii shop point and doing some downloading.

Efejota

That’s fucking bullshit. I need to make sure my Prime Trilogy is downloaded (on U).

Thanks Nintendo, you just made sure I never go digital on any of your platforms.

That's a Wii Download from the Wii U Eshop. This is about the Wii Shop Channel.

Damn, so I have until 2019/01/31 to buy lots of Virtual Console games that I missed...

Make sure to add the points before March 27th 2018, though.

I'm glad I've stuck to mostly physical on Nintendo platforms since they always seem to be the first to put the shutters down on this service, but I'm seriously worried for when a similar announcement comes for PS3. I'm not sure even another 10 years would be enough time for me to get through my backlog of cheap sale purchases and ps plus titles.

Did the DS/DSi shop ever shutdown?

About a year ago: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286360

But the difference is, nearly all DSi software was transferred over to the 3DS eShop before it launched in June 2011. So you can still buy almost every DSiWare game on any 3DS.

On Wii U, Wii software was kept separate to Wii Mode. At least until Wii U eShop listings of Wii games happened under the “virtual console” banner, but only about 30 games were ever released to the Wii U eShop, and none of them were WiiWare titles.

Joey Ravn

Banned

That's is not what I said. I was talking about the "preservation" aspect of this. That is a non-issue. You have been able to rip and store your games for a long, long time. Claiming that Nintendo has made it so the only way to get this games is to pirate them is ludicrous.

MrT-Tar

I still need to buy the first Phantasy Star, as well as the Konami Rebirth games. I'll probably think of some more I need to get soon as well.

Piccoro

Make sure to add the points before March 27th 2018, though.

Oh wow, thanks. I somehow missed that.

Sigh, there's so many VC titles that Nintendo didn't bother to port to Wii U, I'm gonna need two jobs to purchase as many as I can until March... :/

Codeblue

I've actually been buying some SNES RPGs on the thing lately because I felt this was coming. Easiest way for me to play on a CRT these days.

Regiruler

From the top of my head:

Hydroventure/Fluidity
Excitebike: World Rally
Motoheroz
Swords and Soldiers
Toki Tori
Lost Winds
Bonsai Barber
MaBoShi: The three Shape arcade
You, Me and the Cubes
Art Style series (Light Trax/Dotstream etc)
Bit Trip series (pointer controls)
FF: My Life as a King
Space Invaders Get Even
FF: My Life as a Darklord
Contra Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth
Star Soldier R
Muscle March
Castlevania Rebirth
Ace Attorney Trilogy (most relaxing/lazy way to play the game, 60fps)
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Ivy the Kiwi

I’m sure others can add to this list. We should do a thread in the run-up to the closure like this one: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286360
Swords and Soldiers has a Wii U port, I'm pretty sure it has every wii feature.

Top Bottom