• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to shut down Wii shopping channel on 2019/01/31

There's still a lot of stuff I need to get. The Sonic games, Streets of Rage, the Bonk games, SMB2 finally, the Ninja Gaiden games etc.

I need to check what stuff is on the Wii U, as I'd sooner play on there if I can.

I would say a majority of it did reach wii u though.

Actually, no.

22 NES games, 30 SNES games, 4 N64 games, and 38 TG-16 games (though TG-16 games are still trickling out right now) have yet to make it to the Wii U, including 7 Nintendo published games. Incredibly, one of those games is fucking Super Smash Bros.

Perhaps more notable are the entire platforms that are missing. All 16 Sega Master System, 75 Genesis, 54 Neo Geo, 9 Commodore 64, and 21 arcade games.

Altogether nearly 70% of the Wii VC library never made it to the Wii U VC. Granted, a chunk of those were delisted from the Wii Shop (including all 9 Commodore games), but even then it's still the clear majority. The Wii U does have the GameBoy Advance, DS, and Wii retail releases, in addition to some NES/SNES/N64 games that weren't on the Wii, but the total library is still around 100 games smaller than the Wii's.

Airola

On Nintendo Life they tell you you can't even buy any games after 2018/03/27. And I understood after that it's only possible to redownload games and not buy new ones anymore.

But here it seems you are still able to buy them after 2018/03/27.

So can anyone confirm which is the correct way to interpret the news?

Oh, add Sexy Poker in the list of 'must buy' WiiWare titles :)

sublimit

Banned
Redownload of already bought software, as well as the Wii -> WiiU data transfer will stay online for the time being but will also shut down at an undetermined date in the future.

So basically if your Wii or WiiU system ever dies then you're fucked lol.

Let us all embrace our digital futures!!

MTC100

Banned
Sooooo I guess now is the tine to get things like My Life As King/Darklord before they are gone forever?

We live in the age of the internet, nothing is gone, ever. It's also questionable if anyone would want to play the games on this inferior hardware for much longer.

If anything I am surprised they still have the shop running for a decade old system.

Piccoro

On Nintendo Life they tell you you can't even buy any games after 2018/03/27. And I understood after that it's only possible to redownload games and not buy new ones anymore.

But here it seems you are still able to buy them after 2018/03/27.

So can anyone confirm which is the correct way to interpret the news?

Oh, add Sexy Poker in the list of 'must buy' WiiWare titles :)

What you read here is the correct translation. Nintendo Life got it wrong.

You can add funds until 2018/03/27 and you can keep buying until January 2019.

MisterHero

I regret buying Mario 64 and Waverace 64 on Wii U. I still use standard def TVs and Wii would've been better

Better snatch up all the Neo Geo games then!

Phoenixus

Had to happen eventually I guess, still sucks. I hope they have a big last week closing sale so I can get some of the rarer stuff I'm missing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Given Nintendo's controversial history with online services, I suppose it seems appropriate that they walk point and take the first hit with regards to digital storefronts from a major platform holder.

Man, this shit lasted for like 12 years, that's crazy.

The Virtual Console lineup this thing built was pretty amazing. Shame we'll most likely never have anything like it again.

boiled goose

good with gravy
So after this I will lose all of my VC library forever ? Great.

Didn't "upgrade" wii games to wiiu versions because fuck that shit.

We don't even know what will happen to our wiiu and 3ds vcs yet on switch.

I hate Nintendo when it comes to digital content management so much.

Freddo

Heh, I actually bought a few Wii Virtual Console games just a couple of days ago. A few Master System games, but more importantly ActRaiser and Chrono Trigger since they aren't included in the SNES Classic Mini.

Talking of which, is there any easy way to copy/extract the SNES ROMs from the unmodded Wii?

Yousefb

The Wii VC is the definitive VC. Classic Nintendo games AND other classic (plus obscure) retro consoles? Please bring that back for Switch Nintendo :(

We need Genesis and Turbografx back! Let alone wishful thinking for systems like Saturn and Dreamcast.

Garou

We don't even know what will happen to our wiiu and 3ds vcs yet on switch.

I hate Nintendo when it comes to digital content management so much.

Uh, no? All your games will continue working, no internet required whatsoever.

Tapejara

So, as someone who never used the Wii Shop channel but would like to buy some great games, how does this work on a Wii U?

- Can I access the Wii Shop through the Wii U's Wii Channel, purchase and download the games to my external HDD for use on Wii U? Or do I need to plug in my Wii first, purchase and download them there, and then transfer over to my Wii U?
- Do Wii VC titles suffer from emulation issues like the Wii U versions do (i.e. the dark filter in NES/N64 games)?

Yousefb

So, as someone who never used the Wii Shop channel but would like to buy some great games, how does this work on a Wii U?

- Can I access the Wii Shop through the Wii U's Wii Channel, purchase and download the games to my external HDD for use on Wii U? Or do I need to plug in my Wii first, purchase and download them there, and then transfer over to my Wii U?
- Do Wii VC titles suffer from emulation issues like the Wii U versions do (i.e. the dark filter in NES/N64 games)?

- When you access the Wii channel on the Wii U you are basically booting up a Wii. So you will be able to access the shop from there. You will just need to boot up the Wii channel from the Wii U homepage whenever you want to play the VC games.
- IIRC emulation on Wii was actually better. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Effect

Mam, the Wii Shop Channel Stoll has the best selection of retro games. Might have to check it out again before it's gone.
Same. I've been meaning to go on a spending spree. Might as well do it now and then transfer to my Wii U since there is no current VC in sight for the Switch.

Airola

No?
No-one takes them away from you.

You should.

The games would then at least get acknowledged by your Nintendo Account.
If your Wii falls apart there might be no way to get your old games back even if you have stored them on an SD card.

On Wii U it's at least theoretically possible that, as the games are now technically connected to your Nintendo Account (or whatever its name is) they could used if your old Wii U would break. Now, it probably wouldn't still be possible, but at least the chances are better on Wii U than on Wii.

Tapejara

- When you access the Wii channel on the Wii U you are basically booting up a Wii. So you will be able to access the shop from there. You will just need to boot up the Wii channel from the Wii U homepage whenever you want to play the VC games.
- IIRC emulation on Wii was actually better. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Awesome, that makes it much easier!

What Yousefb said, but I think you might not be able to use the same external HDD you use for Wii U. I might be wrong with that as I haven't tested it but essentially in the Wii Mode you have the same amount of HDD space what you had on your original Wii, which isn't much, but you can use SD cards the same way you could with the original Wii.

So if the external HDD won't work for games bought from the Wii Shop Channel, using SD cards will work.

I've still got plenty of space on the internal storage, so I doubt it'll be much of an issue. Will pick up an SD card if I need to!

Airola

What Yousefb said, but I think you might not be able to use the same external HDD you use for Wii U. I might be wrong with that as I haven't tested it but essentially in the Wii Mode you have the same amount of HDD space what you had on your original Wii, which isn't much, but you can use SD cards the same way you could with the original Wii.

So if the external HDD won't work for games bought from the Wii Shop Channel, using SD cards will work.

rudger

That is a generous warning time. But they'd better find a way to transfer those purchases onto future consoles with or without a fee (they won't).

Heh, I actually bought a few Wii Virtual Console games just a couple of days ago. A few Master System games, but more importantly ActRaiser and Chrono Trigger since they aren't included in the SNES Classic Mini.

Talking of which, is there any easy way to copy/extract the SNES ROMs from the unmodded Wii?

Umm, kind of... you mod it. Actually installing HBC on an actual net capable Wii is the easiest part these days. It's splitting the game image out of the WiiWare archive thing which is more engaging.

:(

I loved the Wii VC, man, so many awesome classic games, what an amazing collection of many various systems.

Many awesome memories of playing old favs on the thing and discovering new stuff I had never played before and now love.

Sadly we haven't see anything like it since, for some reason the Wii U one just never had as much coverage.

I still have some Wii Points on my Wii U one, will have to remember to use them one day. I really wish we knew what Nintendo were doing going forward with VC.

I shall miss the Wii Shop greatly, and the music! :(

Airola

It's sad the C64 games aren't available anymore. I would've bought them all.

I've still got plenty of space on the internal storage, so I doubt it'll be much of an issue. Will pick up an SD card if I need to!

Not sure if you understood it correctly.

I meant the space in Wii Mode is the same as in the original Wii, not in Wii U.

Meaning the Wii Mode has something like 0,3 gigs even if your Wii U's internal storage would still have 20 gigs left.

Sure you can fit plenty of VC games there but it will fill up fast if you get too excited to buy games, especially WiiWare that usually fills up more space than VC games.

Maybe you understood what I meant but as you said you still have "plenty of space" I thought you didn't because even when the Wii was released no-one could really say there was plenty of space even when it was completely empty :D

Tapejara

Not sure if you understood it correctly.

I meant the space in Wii Mode is the same as in the original Wii, not in Wii U.

Meaning the Wii Mode has something like 0,3 gigs even if your Wii U's internal storage would still have 20 gigs left.

Sure you can fit plenty of VC games there but it will fill up fast if you get too excited to buy games, especially WiiWare that usually fills up more space than VC games.

Maybe you understood what I meant but as you said you still have "plenty of space" I thought you didn't because even when the Wii was released no-one could really say there was plenty of space even when it was completely empty :D

You're right, I misread it (I'll blame that on being tired). Thanks for the clarification though!

Incredibly, the Wii is the only console that allowed gifting to friends, something that neither Sony or MS has done with far more robust and advanced storefronts. And Nintendo's own VC offerings have yet to be surpassed on either the Wii U or 3ds, as far as the number of systems represented.

Hero

End of an era, really. The Wii Shop / VC / WiiWare was one of the things that really made the Wii such an awesome system and something that Nintendo failed to replicate on the Wii U. Hopefully the Switch digital shop can be as awesome.

Davey Cakes

2019 marks the end of an era, but it's really awesome that they're keeping it going so long.

The Wii features are some of the best reasons to keep a Wii U around. The Wii Shop Channel has a legitimately good catalog of games that the Wii U's own VC couldn't match (with some exceptions like GBA/DS VC and games like Earthbound).

The prices of the games might not be appealing to everybody but the selection still makes it easy to pick up a select title here and there, with pretty solid emulation.

Airola

You're right, I misread it (I'll blame that on being tired). Thanks for the clarification though!

Yeah, no problem.

At least Nintendo had their "games can't be bigger than 40 megs" policy so even if you would only buy the biggest WiiWare games you would be able to get at least 8 of them before running out of space :)

The game sizes are shown as "blocks" on the Wii and I think the biggest WiiWare games take up somewhere between 300-400 blocks.
The smallest VC games are somewhere between 10-20 blocks.

EDIT:
Oh, and running the games directly from the SD card requires the system to have at least the running game's worth of space left as it always loads the game to Wii's memory before running it from an SD card.
So if you have tons of games filling the Wii's space and have tons of games on the SD card be prepared to leave some extra space available in the Wii Mode internal memory too if you want to run them directly from the SD card.

EDIT2:
Oh man, I still remember the days when the SD cards weren't an option...
And when they became an option, you weren't able to play games directly from them.
But later that became possible too, but only with having some space left on the Wii too.

FN-2187

Damn... better get to shopping.

I hope your Wii/WiiU doesn't die on you after you do all that shopping.

It really really bugs me that once this is shut down for good (including redownloads), if my WiiU dies, then all of my WiiWare/VC games are gone.

This is why hobbyist emulation and game preservation is so important and why it irritates me to no end when people bring up piracy in every thread about emulation.

Blam

For those concerned about redownloading [as opposed to not having money to purchase all you want], all Wiis are moddable (quite easily, actually) and pirates have backed up the entire store and all the games. If you bought content that you can't download because the store goes down, you'll be safe -- simply pirate the game you own and install it on your system. It might be mildly annoying compared to using the store, but it's also mildly annoying to hook up your Wii at all in 2019 so...

I'd also like to mention I guarentee someone is going to be creating a eShops alternative or is probably now already doing so.

Mr-Joker

Banned
End of an Era, though not too surprising as Nintendo has moved on with the e-shop.

I will probably have a look on the shop and see if there's any titles that I want to pick up, I am sure that there will be a few.

It's a shame that the Wii U virtual console never managed to live up to the Wii Virtual console and I wonder what the Switch virtual console will be like.

dose

We live in the age of the internet, nothing is gone, ever. It's also questionable if anyone would want to play the games on this inferior hardware for much longer.
Of course people want to play the games on the hardware, what are you talking about? If people have bought games on the Wii they'll want to play them on that. Not everyone has a souped up PC either.
No one should be content in the fact that they're going to lose the ability to redownload what they have paid for. Even more reason to stick with physical.

Top Bottom