• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 was also a way different time for Nintendo than 2016 will be.

They can't afford to ask people to just trust them. I absolutely think they believe they can ask people to just trust them.
Can you elaborate more on that thought, Alberto?

The console is such a hot selling property in Japan that they totally didn't have to tease Japanese software that's more than 3 years out
Yeah. Compared to the PS2 and Wii, the PS4 is not beating them but is doing well.. except in Japan.

Jigorath

Banned
The console is such a hot selling property in Japan that they totally didn't have to tease Japanese software that's more than 3 years out

I'm going to blow your mind. The world is bigger than Japan.

I don't. At all.

Not given their current position, and I think they've been working on backroom dealings and plans for some time (not least of which was the DQXI *leak*). They know full well that *trust us* isn't going to fly after it failed with the 3DS (which they managed to turn around with results not promises) and the WiiU (which they couldn't turn around with promises or, much to late, results).

Too many back-to-back failures and reality checks for me to think they believe such a thing now. Heck, "trust us" has completely failed with Star Fox and it has been delayed.

I agree. I think they'll have a nice reveal of games.

StevieP

Banned
I'm going to blow your mind. The world is bigger than Japan.

The ps4 is doing great in the west. The discussion was revolved around revealing properties (in this case, long awaited Japanese ones) years before they're even due or even started for some of them solely to create hype.

Now let me blow yours: the whole point of "creating hype" is because you want to sell people some plastic boxes, and give them the confidence to do so. If it "wasn't necessary" it wouldn't happen.

Jigorath

Banned
Nintendo doesn't even have to reveal a bunch of games with the NX. Just the core 3 that hype up the fans the most (3D Mario, Metroid Prime, and Zelda).

Nintendo doesn't even have to reveal a bunch of games with the NX. Just the core 3 that hype up the fans the most (3D Mario, Metroid Prime, and Zelda).
They need to be ready to make the first year of the NX a big one for online gamers. Smash in particular would be very well represented with an upgraded port of Smash U.

ZOONAMI

Ummm, there are a whole bunch of New 3DS enhanced games already on cartridges.

Also the New 3DS is a stopgap just like the DSi and Game Boy Color. Usually Nintendo replaces the handheld about 2 years after the stopgap version launches, which comes out to Fall 2016 (going by the Japanese New 3DS launch.)

Right, I know, but not games specifically built around the hardware specs of n3ds.

Neoxon

Right, I know, but not games specifically built around the hardware specs of n3ds.
But the point is that you can't have games built around the n3DS that also work on the 3DS. The only ones you can have that work on both are games like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate & Hyrule Warriors Legends that are enhanced by the n3DS. And as stated earlier, the n3DS is nothing more than a stopgap. The 3DS cannot survive past Q1 2017.

Pokemaniac

There are a bunch of games like that, such as Stretchmo or Monster Hunter 4.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for even. If something required the New 3DS specs to run at all, then how would there even be an Old 3DS version of it? The only things that run on both will always just be New 3DS enhanced games.

Roo

I mean, they had they likes of Dirt, Ghost Recon Online, Aliens Colonial Marines, Metro Last Light etc on their sizzle reel and none of them came out for the system at all.
I wouldn't trust Nintendo (or partnerships) at all at this point.

I wonder if we'll see Pokemon Z or whatever on NX. They oddly skipped this year. I know GF is usually slow to transition, but maybe Nintendo convinced them to switch over quickly. Or maybe they convinced the Pokemon Company to do so since they have Pokemon Go as well.
Probably not at launch but maybe 2017

I'm not sure what to expect hardware wise for the NX, but for some reason I'm imagining the console being meek on the GPU, letting the secret sauce/power being focused on the CPU for some reason.

I feel like GPU HBM would be too costly and a next gen CPU would be cheaper and better on the long run, but what's the verdict on the CPU's on the Ps4/Xbone? Could Nintendo match them with similar performance and keep the cost low?

Vena

I mean, they had they likes of Dirt, Ghost Recon Online, Aliens Colonial Marines, Metro Last Light etc on their sizzle reel and none of them came out for the system at all.

Nintendo's gonna come out and be all like "This here be a shotgun!" *kapow* "And it shoots games!" *kapow* "And it makes others give you games!" *kapow*

They then start kicking down walls to other booths and being like:
Nintendo: "You made this?"
Dev: "I made this."
Nintendo: "I'm taking this. And this too."

Sony's booth:
Nintendo: "You play this?"
Sony: "We play this."
Nintendo: "I play this too."

Microsoft's booth:
Nintendo: "You're Master Chief?"
Microsoft: "I'm Master Chief."
Nintendo: "This is Cooking Mama, she's the Master Chef."

And then E3's foundation collapses.

I figure, after the muppets, the above is entirely probable.

I'm not sure what to expect hardware wise for the NX, but for some reason I'm imagining the console being meek on the GPU, letting the secret sauce/power being focused on the CPU for some reason.

I feel like GPU HBM would be too costly and a next gen CPU would be cheaper and better on the long run, but what's the verdict on the CPU's on the Ps4/Xbone? Could Nintendo match them with similar performance and keep the cost low?
They could cut costs in certain places, like choose a low-storage medium (no 500GB hard drive), not expensive RAM, do the usual "do this thing to cut costs and increase speed" stuff, and maybe they can be at, or a little lower than those prices.

Neoxon

I wonder if we'll see Pokemon Z or whatever on NX. They oddly skipped this year. I know GF is usually slow to transition, but maybe Nintendo convinced them to switch over quickly. Or maybe they convinced the Pokemon Company to do so since they have Pokemon Go as well.
They probably won't for the reason you mentioned, Game Freak is usually slow to transition. Plus we know that we're getting a mainline Pokémon game next year, which is looking to be Pokémon Z. Game Freak is usually stuck in their ways, & I doubt that'll change now

I think any decent full rpg HD Pokemon with full cast and story would be most successful

it really bothers me they never made one so far

-Horizon-

Nintendo's gonna come out and be all like "This here be a shotgun!" *kapow* "And it shoots games!" *kapow* "And it makes others give you games!" *kapow*

They then start kicking down walls to other booths and being like:
Nintendo: "You made this?"
Dev: "I made this."
Nintendo: "I'm taking this. And this too."

Sony's booth:
Nintendo: "You play this?"
Sony: "We play this."
Nintendo: "I play this too."

Microsoft's booth:
Nintendo: "You're Master Chief?"
Microsoft: "I'm Master Chief."
Nintendo: "This is Cooking Mama, she's the Master Chef."

And then E3's foundation collapses.

I figure, after the muppets, the above is entirely probable.
Nintendo presenting everything like an Old Spice commercial?

I'm ok with that.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I've posted extremely infrequently in this thread so this may have been canvassed already, but as we are discussing launch games/reveal my major question is: How will they handle Virtual Console/Cross-Buy?

I would like to think we all agree Nintendo cannot for a 3rd time initiate a drip feed release schedule starting from a base of zero. Nor do I think those that have bought VC titles on the Wii Shop, then Wii U eShop, be made to buy the same title a third time. Even a 'one dollar' upgrade transfer would be irksome.

So, whilst there will undoubtedly be the usual suspects in development and ready for launch as major retail titles, I'm much more interested in how they address the VC. At minimum, all the currently released titles on the Wii U should be available day one NX.

udivision

so Pokemon is useless to help home console sales?

No, but why would Game Freak be concerned about that?

There are many ways to leverage the Pokemon IP on the console, but when it comes to mainline RPGs it makes the most sense for GF to stick to handhelds.

I've posted extremely infrequently in this thread so this may have been canvassed already, but as we are discussing launch games/reveal my major question is: How will they handle Virtual Console/Cross-Buy?

I would like to think we all agree Nintendo cannot for a 3rd time initiate a drip feed release schedule starting from a base of zero. Nor do I think those that have bought VC titles on the Wii Shop, then Wii U eShop, be made to buy the same title a third time. Even a 'one dollar' upgrade transfer would be irksome.

So, whilst there will undoubtedly be the usual suspects in development and ready for launch as major retail titles, I'm much more interested in how they address the VC. At minimum, all the currently released titles on the Wii U should be available day one NX.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Honestly, I can't pretend like I have a clue how they're going to handle it and make people happy... the VC seems so poorly implemented. I think the people who bought into are just gonna have to deal with it if Nintendo's compatibility solution is less than good again.

I don't think the store will have all the old stuff "day one" either.

Pokemaniac

Pokemon Z on NX simply isn't happening. Game Freak isn't going to port their engine to a new platform mid-gen, and it would make Pokemon Z vastly more expensive to make than a normal third version. It also introduces potential compatibility issues with previous Gen VI games. Mainline Pokemon will not come to NX until Gen VII. Gen VI spinoffs, on the other hand, are fair game.

I'm not sure I'd expect everything from Wii U on day one, but I think currently existing stuff will brought over much more quickly this time. Given some of their NX related comments, I think there's a decent chance they forgo the upgrade fee this time, though.

Sterok

It's about as useful as Call of Duty and GTA are to handhelds. The right project could move consoles (some sort of big spin-off like Pokken or whatever), and a mainline title would do well on home consoles (not as good as on handhelds), but ultimately it's a handheld first series most suited for that sort of device. Everyone involved recognizes that, which is why there's never been an attempt to get the main series on console.

I absolutely believe it'll be crossbuy with Wii U. 3DS? There's a reason they stopped that. It's fucked.

Koppai

I talked to a Nintendo rep at the store and he said that right now they are focusing on developing the QOL concept and that NX will more than likely be released by next Christmas. And that it seems just like the patent states that it will be digital only.

L Thammy

There are many ways to leverage the Pokemon IP on the console, but when it comes to mainline RPGs it makes the most sense for GF to stick to handhelds.

Adding to that. I don't think Game Freak or The Pokemon Company are invested in keeping Pokemon off consoles. Colosseum was the only legitimate way to get Gen 2 Pokemon in Gen 3 for a while. If there was a way to put the mainline Pokemon on home console as a multiplatform with handheld without threatening the handheld version in some way, I think they'd be willing to go that route.

Pokemaniac

Pokemon sells far better on handheld. Considering Game Freak's stance on portability, it makes sense that they continue to mainly develop for handhelds. However, I think that the handheld games will likely be playable on the console for Gen VII due to the shared library.

I talked to a Nintendo rep at the store and he said that right now they are focusing on developing the QOL concept and that NX will more than likely be released by next Christmas. And that it seems just like the patent states that it will be digital only.

On this subject, in July I shared a taxi in Osaka with a Taiwanese engineer. He said he had just pitched a wearable T-shirt to Nintendo, but they rejected it due to the high price. He went on to say there were a few other appointments about QOL that day.

Neoxon

I wouldn't completely trust just any regular Nintendo rep in terms of that kind of information. And if the NX Platform is digital-only, there will be insane amounts of backlash.

Vena

A Nintendo rep would have no idea.

4Tran

Adding to that. I don't think Game Freak or The Pokemon Company are invested in keeping Pokemon off consoles. Colosseum was the only legitimate way to get Gen 2 Pokemon in Gen 3 for a while. If there was a way to put the mainline Pokemon on home console as a multiplatform with handheld without threatening the handheld version in some way, I think they'd be willing to go that route.
Nintendo wants to convince a portion of their fanbase to buy both a handheld and a home console so there will be some games on one but not the other. Of Nintendo's product line, Pokemon is the prime candidate to be handheld only.

Fredrik

So when can we actually expect an announcement and full system reveal?
Could they announce the official name and show off the graphics capabilities at GDC 2016?
And do a full system reveal at E3 2016?
And a world wide launch in nov/dec 2016?
What's the latest gossip on this?

Pokemaniac

Random Nintendo reps tend not to be the most reliable source of information on matters like these. I wouldn't put much weight in these claims.

-Horizon-

If it actually turned out true, that'd be interesting. The digital only part I mean. Christmas/Holiday release already seemed likely in my mind.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Honestly, I can't pretend like I have a clue how they're going to handle it and make people happy... the VC seems so poorly implemented. I think the people who bought into are just gonna have to deal with it if Nintendo's compatibility solution is less than good again.

this Pokemon RPG makes more sense on handhelds is a tradition that GameFreak is willing to hold firm to

it is not like they ever gave it a decent try at home, people keep talking about those stadium battle games as if it was the same thing

I am not a pokemon gamer for this reason alone I purchased the first few but on my handheld I never really cared about investing the time it took to finish the games on a small screen

when traveling I'm busy I don't have time for the game, I feel I would enjoy this more at home on a large screen just a port would have given a choice to a few more fans but they made this rule and fan like you repeat it as holy fact that Pokemon rpg is handheld only

the game has a huge fanbase following this rule, it is true when you get no other choice

I got a Pokemon game for Wii U can't even remember the name of that crap
Scramble Shuffle?

Rubixcuba

Banned

I'm not sure I'd expect everything from Wii U on day one, but I think currently existing stuff will brought over much more quickly this time. Given some of their NX related comments, I think there's a decent chance they forgo the upgrade fee this time, though.

Its probably optimistic thinking to think we would get all the library. I just checked and here in PAL land there are currently 198 titles available. I suppose my point was that from the launch of Wii U, the VC only appeared 5 months after and with a grand total of 8 games across NES/SNES.

Surely, with NX we can have titles from every console (excluding Wii U?) on the first day with 3/4 from each respective library.

Vena

Its probably optimistic thinking to think we would get all the library. I just checked and here in PAL land there are currently 198 titles available. I suppose my point was that from the launch of Wii U, the VC only appeared 5 months after and with a grand total of 8 games across NES/SNES.

Surely, with NX we can have titles from every console (excluding Wii U?) on the first day with 3/4 from each respective library.

I'm almost certain that the reason they killed the 3DS VC was because they couldn't carry it forward, but the WiiU one is likely future proof for the most part and so they have very little work to do in moving it over and all of its already "approved and vetted" titles.

udivision

this Pokemon RPG makes more sense on handhelds is a tradition that GameFreak is willing to hold firm to

it is not like they ever gave it a decent try at home, people keep talking about those stadium battle games as if it was the same thing

I am not a pokemon gamer for this reason alone I purchased the first few but on my handheld I never really cared about investing the time it took to finish the games on a small screen

when traveling I'm busy I don't have time for the game, I feel I would enjoy this more at home on a large screen just a port would have given a choice to a few more fans but they made this rule and fan like you repeat it as holy fact that Pokemon rpg is handheld only

the game has a huge fanbase following this rule, it is true when you get no other choice

Scramble Shuffle?

For one thing, Game Freak made the rule (and repeat it) so it's not fanboy nonsense. They just don't wanna do it.

Secondly, I'm right there with you, but you gotta think about the numbers.

Full Fledged HD Pokemon is going to cost a lot more to make than handhled pokemon, It is also going to sell a lot less, by virtue of Nintendo consoles obtaining a decreasing portion of the marketshare.

Game Freak still has yet to make a "full" 3D Pokemon, and I can't imagine them making the jump from all the way to HD development, especially when their team is only 40ish people, IIRC.

When you have a team (2 teams) that small that can consistently push out 10+ million sellers every 1-2 years putting them on projects with greater investments and smaller returns doesn't make much sense.

You say there are gamers that would buy Pokemon for the console, but not for the handheld. You're right. But that is a nearly insignificant number these days in light of the health of Nintendo's home consoles.

Maybe console NX can get a port of the NX handheld one, but I don't expect it to because "lol GF".

EDIT: I completely forgot about Pokken. That's a good way to leverage the Pokemon IP without wasting GF's time I guess.

It would be the least successful

that's why they haven't done it
I don't think nice visuals turn people off.
They can release I on both the handheld and the console and reach both audiences
Also, it's not like it wouldn't sell. They just have never put a mainline one on consoles. The closest thing was those XD games which were clearly labeled as spin offs.
And we are talking about NX portable here which should be 360/Vita level so they will have to do an HD Pokemon game.
They took the year off so maybe they have something special. It's unlikely but I'd be pretty upset if they pulled a B/W 2 again

A retail representative won't know anything this far out.

Pokemaniac

I think they may stagger things a bit by platform. If they're going to put things up in waves, it would make sense to divide things by the different emulators, since each one is somewhat separate and would have it's own issues that things would run in to.

For one thing, Game Freak made the rule (and repeat it) so it's not fanboy nonsense. They just don't wanna do it.

Secondly, I'm right there with you, but you gotta think about the numbers.

Full Fledged HD Pokemon is going to cost a lot more to make than handhled pokemon, It is also going to sell a lot less, by virtue of Nintendo consoles obtaining a decreasing portion of the marketshare.

Game Freak still has yet to make a "full" 3D Pokemon, and I can't imagine them making the jump from all the way to HD development, especially when their team is only 40ish people, IIRC.

When you have a team (2 teams) that small that can consistently push out 10+ million sellers every 1-2 years putting them on projects with greater investments and smaller returns doesn't make much sense.

You say there are gamers that would buy Pokemon for the console, but not for the handheld. You're right. But that is a nearly insignificant number these days in light of the health of Nintendo's home consoles.

Maybe console NX can get a port of the NX handheld one, but I don't expect it to because "lol GF".

EDIT: I completely forgot about Pokken. That's a good way to leverage the Pokemon IP without wasting GF's time I guess.

Yeah I would agree with you this is just a situation where things are not at all favorable

I'm imagining something like a world the size of a Zelda or Xenoblade full of Pokemon in HD which that small team as you pointed out are not suited to pull off. But if I just ask for just a port I can play on my TV GameFreak gives no fucks about people who wants this, put all the old ones on eShop as a collection for fans... NOPE

I guess the IP is just trapped where it is

This is not true at all. Retail reps know more than people think. Most of them just do their jobs and like it so you're not gonna hear much about one going online and spouting stuff they aren't supposed to. Granted NX stuff is suspect but dont say they know nothing. Just a personal experience cause I thought the same at one point lol.

jmizzal

Well thats on partners, zero reason any of those couldnt have came out on WiiU outside of publishers not wanting the release them

Heck we know Cryteck had Crysis 3 ready for WiiU but EA said no

StevieP

Banned

Depends on the rep

Why the hell would Sony do that when TGS is a far better venue?

Tgs had the property that is focused solely on Japan already. The enthusiasts watching e3 in the west certainly care about the other Japanese properties as well, despite the fact that some of them won't take off with the mainstream. The aud shills weren't the only ones cheering for the non-announcement announcements. That kind of hype sells plastic boxes

TriBlade

Scramble Shuffle?

I completely agree, because I want a console version too. I don't play on handheld at all.

I mentioned before in another thread that they should release an NX console/handheld versions for their next mainline game. People could trade online or in person between the two device like cross-play. It could help demonstrate how the shared OS make development and interaction between the two devices really easy(if the speculation about shared OS is true). Also, the games could serve both the console focused, US and handheld focused, Japan.

Pokemaniac

This is not true at all. Retail reps know more than people think. Most of them just do their jobs and like it so you're not gonna hear much about one going online and spouting stuff they aren't supposed to. Granted NX stuff is suspect but dont say they know nothing. Just a personal experience cause I thought the same at one point lol.

They might not know nothing, but they typically don't know everything. Comments from them, especially on information that isn't really public yet, are often somehow inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom