• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might not know nothing, but they typically don't know everything. Comments from them, especially on information that isn't really public yet, are often somehow inaccurate.
Well I didnt say they know everything. goddamn. Im just saying people need to realize these reps are the people who inform stores, companies, businesses and workers about new information regarding the selling of their product, retail space, and future endeavors. I can tell you for a fact right now that there are reps that knows about stuff past (announced) Wii U games that we know of.

Terrell

That doesn't fit Sony's modus operandi, and it doesn't matter that much whether Playstation VR is financially successful. The idea is that it's a highly competitive nascent technology that holds a ton of promise. If Sony can get ahead of the curve and can capture the imagination of the public, the company can garner rewards well into the future. It's what they managed to do with all sorts of other technologies like the Walkman, compact disc, Blu-ray, TVs, and so on. If they could have released Playstation VR, they absolutely would have.

It doesn't matter that a company with a shaky financial situation doesn't release an expensive-to-R&D and expensive-to-make product to success? News to me.

Sony's MO seems to have changed to "let's do things that don't hemorrhage money", so PSVR being an expensive endeavour for something that's not a sure thing puzzles me endlessly, especially given how it's being positioned.

We have to consider that a good chunk of those who supported the 3DS at launch aren't there, anymore. Sure, there's still the Japanese companies like Square-Enix who will be there, but that's it.

Uhhhh... basically every 3rd-party on 3DS is from Japan, and there's a LOT of them still on-side with handheld gaming, since it's still the largest part of the Japanese gaming market in the traditional non-mobile space. It's not like it's just a gaggle of tiny niche publishers, either.

Your repeated downplaying of the importance of Japanese publishers and the influence they can still wield in the industry is borderline insulting.

One of PS4's biggest coups of the generation so far? Street Fighter V. Before that? The "Dark Souls Gaiden" that is Bloodborne. To say nothing of the multi-plat juggernaut of attention that is MGSV. And then there's E3 this year, where all the talk was dominated by... yep, 3 Japanese games. And this is just speaking from the console side of things alone.

They may not have the ubiquitous presence they once had, but Japanese publishers are no small fish like you portray them. Especially when a few of them outright own a lot of stake in the Western development world, so getting those ones onside does wonders for your primary argument about struggling to win over Western 3rd-parties.

Nintendo doesn't even have to reveal a bunch of games with the NX. Just the core 3 that hype up the fans the most (3D Mario, Metroid Prime, and Zelda).

I think reliance on those properties is part of what has driven so many people away from Nintendo in the first place. So you can bring those to the table, sure, but that can't be ALL they bring to the table, or they'll end up no better than where they were with the Wii U launch.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I think reliance on those properties is part of what has driven so many people away from Nintendo in the first place. So you can bring those to the table, sure, but that can't be ALL they bring to the table, or they'll end up no better than where they were with the Wii U launch.

Bingo. They need to be able to bring in a broadchurch of titles, genres and publishers. Can Nintendo snare Madden/Fifa/CoD?

Terrell

Nintendo wants to convince a portion of their fanbase to buy both a handheld and a home console so there will be some games on one but not the other. Of Nintendo's product line, Pokemon is the prime candidate to be handheld only.

I think if you actually run the numbers (and I'm sure Nintendo has), the broadest part of Nintendo's handheld user base is younger gamers, with their consoles skewing older, or at least in the West anyways. Hence the userbase disparity between Nintendo's efforts in both market segments and why PSP/Vita struggled to find a market that could equal Nintendo's dominance there. Heck, I imagine that there was similar demographic divides where the DS and Wii never aligned, as well.

So the actual overlap in buying both handheld and console Nintendo products likely already isn't there and this phantom notion that Nintendo can convince all but people like GAF users to buy both is probably not even on their radar, since it's such a small piece of their marketshare.

So no, exclusivity won't be done as a motivation to have consumers buy both, because that market potential hasn't existed since the 1990s.

Pokemon sells far better on handheld.

The spin-offs of Pokemon are a crap shoot regardless of the platform they're on.
If you're talking the true Pokemon RPGs? You're basically saying "faberge eggs sell better in 1st-world countries." It hasn't ever been a possibility to have a true Pokemon RPG on a console, and spin-offs are still iffy on any device, so it's a non-existent distinction you're making.

For one thing, Game Freak made the rule (and repeat it) so it's not fanboy nonsense. They just don't wanna do it.

The way it's preached as though it were woven into the design of the universe and making a console Pokemon RPG would tear the fabric of reality certainly is "fanboy nonsense". If they found a way to make it work for them, I can't imagine Game Freak would say no.

Secondly, I'm right there with you, but you gotta think about the numbers.

Full Fledged HD Pokemon is going to cost a lot more to make than handhled pokemon, It is also going to sell a lot less, by virtue of Nintendo consoles obtaining a decreasing portion of the marketshare.

When Nintendo is the one paying most of the bills on these games and not Game Freak, I can't imagine many fucks are given about that by them.

Game Freak still has yet to make a "full" 3D Pokemon, and I can't imagine them making the jump from all the way to HD development, especially when their team is only 40ish people, IIRC.

When you have a team (2 teams) that small that can consistently push out 10+ million sellers every 1-2 years putting them on projects with greater investments and smaller returns doesn't make much sense.

See, there's this team now called Nintendo SPD and another called 1UP Studio.

.... somehow I think they'll be fine. They can do a "Star Fox Zero" and get the gameplay fundamentals down while some of Game Freak and Nintendo's other teams do the rest of the heavy lifting.

And again, with Nintendo paying those bills and making the final platform calls?

You say there are gamers that would buy Pokemon for the console, but not for the handheld. You're right. But that is a nearly insignificant number these days in light of the health of Nintendo's home consoles.

Maybe console NX can get a port of the NX handheld one, but I don't expect it to because "lol GF".

EDIT: I completely forgot about Pokken. That's a good way to leverage the Pokemon IP without wasting GF's time I guess.

And yet, with the amount of people who say they'd buy it if it existed, and NX offering an option to do it without audience fragmentation? It's essentially a marketing move that could potentially pay big returns for Nintendo who, I'll say again, pays most of the bills on these projects.

Do you think that if Game Freak had the support that they needed to make a console Pokemon game, could make the game so that it interchanges with the handheld audience and thereby growing the audience instead of fragmenting it, and didn't have to pay for practically any of it that they would continue taking a hard line against the idea?

Let's get real for a second.

If the plan with NX has been a sort of software library synergy of sorts like we assume it is and all signs point to, are people so fucking stupid as to think Nintendo's first visit with their partner studios to discuss the nature of this idea wouldn't be to the one that makes them the biggest wad of money outside their own projects? Do you think they would even consider this to be something they could do with NX if they couldn't get Game Freak on board with it somehow?

It really shows me how fucking stupid people believe Nintendo to actually be, if they honestly believe that they wouldn't do that, or that Game Freak somehow has them by the balls on this matter and would never ever cave to this apparent Golden Rule of Pokemon, as written on an indestructible adamantium slab brought down from the heavens by Satoshi Tajiri.

Bingo. They need to be able to bring in a broadchurch of titles, genres and publishers. Can Nintendo snare Madden/Fifa/CoD?

Possibly, but perhaps not right away. They can snare a lot of other games people give a shit about though.

This is not true at all. Retail reps know more than people think. Most of them just do their jobs and like it so you're not gonna hear much about one going online and spouting stuff they aren't supposed to. Granted NX stuff is suspect but dont say they know nothing. Just a personal experience cause I thought the same at one point lol.

Depends on the rep

I can guarantee you that a retail representative won't know about a product that is currently undergoing R&D. Hell most people at NoA or NoE wouldn't know most details about it yet. Even at NCL, projects are kept secret. For example, Mario Galaxy team can't talk about their game with the Zelda team. Granted software developers would probably have to know some things about it to develop for it, but not everything would be down the chain all the way down to retail representative (who usually have a larger turnover rate) this early in the game.

I can guarantee you that a retail representative won't know about a product that is currently undergoing R&D. Hell most people at NoA or NoE wouldn't know most details about it yet. Even at NCL, projects are kept secret. For example, Mario Galaxy team can't talk about their game with the Zelda team. Granted software developers would probably have to know some things about it to develop for it, but not everything would be down the chain all the way down to retail representative (who usually have a larger turnover rate) this early in the game.
Like I said it was suspect he knew stuff about NX specifically but if you're a retail rep right after the holiday season they will be gearing up for new stuff. Starfox is like the last thing they will probably put panels up for then what? Theres literally nothing ahead for 3DS or Wii U. Most Wii U kiosks havent changed since amiibo so almost a year ago some stores dont even have a Wii U.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said it was suspect he knew stuff about NX specifically but if you're a retail rep right after the holiday season they will be gearing up for new stuff. Starfox is like the last thing they will probably put panels up for then what? Theres literally nothing ahead for 3DS or Wii U. Most Wii U kiosks havent changed since amiibo so almost a year ago some stores dont even have a Wii U.

Assuming a North American location...

I would think the next Nintendo retail promotions would be Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, and maaaaaybe #FE for Wii U. For 3DS, I see Fire Emblem Fates, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Bravely Default 2, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (this might be Q3), Hyrule Warriors Legends (Q3 again?), and Project X Zone 2 (due to the Nintendo characters, I'm sure some Nintendo promotion will happen). Wii U is the big question, definitely (am I forgetting something?), but I'm pretty sure 3DS has stuff for at least the first half of the year, perhaps through summer, not even counting other stuff that could be localized. So I'd guess a retail representative might have some insight into what Wii U releases are coming and the order of the undated 3DS games.

doctor_zzim

Neo Member
A handheld for 99$ that plays console games?? That sounds more unrealistic than a hybrid. Even if true what the games gonna look like? at 99$??

Well first of all I was just throwing out random numbers for the sake of showing why charge this much money for both instead of charging significantly less for each. I'm just asking the basic question of why the hell they would charge a lot of money for something like a Wii U/3DS bundle instead of continuing to sell Wii U for 300 and 3DS for 170. If they sold those together they'd slash it down to 450 at the cheapest. People would just rather buy the one they want or buy both. If they want to encourage people to buy both they can just do some kind of promotion where buy one, get the other for a certain amount less. There's no reason to force people to buy both is all I'm saying.

Super effective Snap

It's really strange how people treat this like some kinda law of nature.

Anyway I find it hilarious that people think that, with the way we're suspecting this synergy to go down, people think Pokemon would be a HH exclusive based on some kinda principal or something.

It's like thinking GF wouldn't make Wifi battles or trading because you normally have to do that in person and that was a key element until the DS.

Assuming a North American location...

I would think the next Nintendo retail promotions would be Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, and maaaaaybe #FE for Wii U. For 3DS, I see Fire Emblem Fates, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Bravely Default 2, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (this might be Q3), Hyrule Warriors Legends (Q3 again?), and Project X Zone 2 (due to the Nintendo characters, I'm sure some Nintendo promotion will happen). Wii U is the big question, definitely (am I forgetting something?), but I'm pretty sure 3DS has stuff for at least the first half of the year, perhaps through summer, not even counting other stuff that could be localized. So I'd guess a retail representative might have some insight into what Wii U releases are coming and the order of the undated 3DS games.
Yes NA...

Well assuming promotion for those games only starfox and pokken I see getting any kind of promotion. Even games like Yoshi woolly world.. I dont see nothing at all maybe preorder tag or something thats it. Last game I saw any significant promotion in stores was splatoon. Even Mario Maker was a bunch of stuff online but in the store nothing.
And yeah you are right about 3DS I guess. They keep putting games out for that Im assuming NX console-thingy is the next thing in line.

Pokemaniac

It's really strange how people treat this like some kinda law of nature.

Anyway I find it hilarious that people think that, with the way we're suspecting this synergy to go down, people think Pokemon would be a HH exclusive based on some kinda principal or something.

It's like thinking GF wouldn't make Wifi battles or trading because you normally have to do that in person and that was a key element until the DS.

At this point, I'm fully expecting the Gen VII Pokemon games to be both console and handheld, but with the handheld clearly still the lead platform.

To be honest, I'll be rather surprised if any handheld exclusives (outside of maybe StreetPass Mii Plaza NX) existed, and handheld exclusive content was basically all about adding features like StreetPass or certain types of multiplayer.

Peru

$9.99 with 10 games bundled.

Just 10?

New-Hot-Classic-Tetris-Game-Hand-Held-LCD-Electronic-Game-Toys-Brick-handheld-Arcade-Game-Travel.jpg

Eteric Rice

I suspect we'll see a gamepad with the NX, but with a far smaller screen and trimmed down a LOT. Maybe around the size of the primary 3DS screen.

Bashtee

I don't think anyone can currently pull off digital only. Just remember the backlash on Microsoft, and that wasn't even full digital. Now Nintendo doing it with their superb online infrastructure? If they do, I might consider pulling a Ozzy Osbourne and bite some crows heads off.

I suspect we'll see a gamepad with the NX, but with a far smaller screen and trimmed down a LOT. Maybe around the size of the primary 3DS screen.

If so, I hope they at least keep the resolution.

bomblord1

Banned
So I had a dream about the NX. It was E3 and I was at E3 and they said they were showing off the first look at an NX game. So they show it off and its a Donkey Kong kart racer in the art style of Disney Infinity where you can get out of your kart and explore the world.

Graphically I remember thinking "this isn't something that would look out of place on the wii-u" they refused to show what it was running on and then later you found out the NX platform includes the wii-u and their new handheld which can run wii-u games due to Nintendo's new compiler that makes game code completely portable between the two platforms.

SighFight

Just stumbled across this old article where Sharp anounced non rectangular screens and Nintendo was mentioned as a first customer even stating a march 2016 release. Has this been discussed before?

Nintendo is expected to use the displays in its new portable game consoles to replace the Nintendo 3DS lines, or for a Recently Announced device to map the sleep quality, Which the company wants to market by March 2016, the sources said.
Nintendo is considering creating a hole at the center of the display, making it the donut-shaped, one of the sources said.

https://translate.googleusercontent...kJrhgH0hvv7JZo_nLJU5fK-SdBHoR6wA#.VJFBR3vVs6V

4Tran

Tgs had the property that is focused solely on Japan already. The enthusiasts watching e3 in the west certainly care about the other Japanese properties as well, despite the fact that some of them won't take off with the mainstream. The aud shills weren't the only ones cheering for the non-announcement announcements. That kind of hype sells plastic boxes
Doesn't that invalidate your previous point?

It doesn't matter that a company with a shaky financial situation doesn't release an expensive-to-R&D and expensive-to-make product to success? News to me.

Sony's MO seems to have changed to "let's do things that don't hemorrhage money", so PSVR being an expensive endeavour for something that's not a sure thing puzzles me endlessly, especially given how it's being positioned.
It's precisely been Sony's MO when they attempt to be at the forefront of a new technological format. The prospects of long term gains from this product line are too great to give up on - VR is going to be huge sooner or later. In this case, even if they don't make any profit, they're probably not going to be losing much money on Playstation VR, so it's a bit of a moot point anyways.

I think if you actually run the numbers (and I'm sure Nintendo has), the broadest part of Nintendo's handheld user base is younger gamers, with their consoles skewing older, or at least in the West anyways. Hence the userbase disparity between Nintendo's efforts in both market segments and why PSP/Vita struggled to find a market that could equal Nintendo's dominance there. Heck, I imagine that there was similar demographic divides where the DS and Wii never aligned, as well.

So the actual overlap in buying both handheld and console Nintendo products likely already isn't there and this phantom notion that Nintendo can convince all but people like GAF users to buy both is probably not even on their radar, since it's such a small piece of their marketshare.

So no, exclusivity won't be done as a motivation to have consumers buy both, because that market potential hasn't existed since the 1990s.
It's exactly a play at the hardcore who would go and buy both products, so why would Nintendo get discouraged? They'd totally do it even if they only manage to sell an extra 5 million handhelds.

StevieP

Banned
Doesn't that invalidate your previous point?

It's precisely been Sony's MO when they attempt to be at the forefront of a new technological format. The prospects of long term gains from this product line are too great to give up on - VR is going to be huge sooner or later. In this case, even if they don't make any profit, they're probably not going to be losing much money on Playstation VR, so it's a bit of a moot point anyways.

It's exactly a play at the hardcore who would go and buy both products, so why would Nintendo get discouraged? They'd totally do it even if they only manage to sell an extra 5 million handhelds.

Not at all. Enthusiasts care about those properties as well. You know, folks like us who follow video games. Even though the properties are most certainly Japanese focused outside of maybe FF which still has western worth. It was well calculated and executed. Certainly a brilliant ploy to sell more boxes, even though these properties may not even show up until the end (or even after the end) of the generation.

Banned
This thread keeps growing yet nothing new is rumoured or reported. Let's all just wait for next year since that's when they plan on revealing info on it. Or wait for some leak.

sinxtanx

This thread keeps growing yet nothing new is rumoured or reported. Let's all just wait for next year since that's when they plan on revealing info on it. Or wait for some leak.

And while we wait we can talk about our hopes/speculations! This thread should do nicely.

Man, that rebranding to bring everything under one "Nintendo" umbrella. I think that will be taken to the next level next year. I expect the final name of the NX line to prominently feature the word Nintendo.

Riki

And while we wait we can talk about our hopes/speculations! This thread should do nicely.

Man, that rebranding to bring everything under one "Nintendo" umbrella. I think that will be taken to the next level next year. I expect the final name of the NX line to prominently feature the word Nintendo.
Nintendo Entertainment System
I don't know why they haven't thought of that yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With each month tech both in terms of APUs as well as mobile based tech is getting faster and cheaper. Considering 2015 isn't even over yet I hope this brings some extra optimism to those who previously low balled. (Not that Nintendo always pushes for the top flight).

Both next gen consoles can be for 350 with a pack in. New 300 and under phones are announced at what seems like a daily basis each trying to out do the next on price as well as performance.

NX should be a good step up from both the 3ds and Wii U regardless if Nintendo tries to go on the cheaper end of the spectrum!

Azure J

You don't need 3. Nes and Gameboy are so old you can just reuse the names. I think people would like it. People think of ds as Gameboy anyway.

The last thing Nintendo needs to do is fall back on "good times" branding for the sake of appealing to nostalgia. (Edit: Also, branding nightmare scenario right there. Introducing confusion to those who already have those products a la XB1 sounds pretty silly.) They already get criticized enough for this on their software front. What's more, using an engendered title like Game Boy in this day and age could also be seen as a slight misstep given the "open to all" branding they managed to accomplish in the last 10 years.

Anth0ny

wouldn't be surprised if xbone dropped to $299 this holiday, or at least during black friday sales.

if nx is as powerful as a PS4 I can see it going for $250 next holiday while making a profit from day one. after Wii U, I have to imagine nintendo would be hesitant to go above that $250 sweet spot.

Riki

They should really just name it Nintendo Augmented Video Integrated System.

NAVIS

The slogan is "Hey! LISTEN!"

4Tran

wouldn't be surprised if xbone dropped to $299 this holiday, or at least during black friday sales.

if nx is as powerful as a PS4 I can see it going for $250 next holiday while making a profit from day one. after Wii U, I have to imagine nintendo would be hesitant to go above that $250 sweet spot.
If the price point compared to other home consoles is important, the PS4 and Xbone might well be at $250 by the end of next year. Nintendo's price positions are going to be squeezed very hard, and they'll be dead meat if the home console is at $300 or more.

AdanVC

Yeah it's not even fun anymore :( I just hope Nintendo reveal it as soon as 2016 begins. A big reveal event on january/february and from there a big gigaton of Nintendo goodness at E3 2016.

Neoxon

Yeah it's not even fun anymore :( I just hope Nintendo reveal it as soon as 2016 begins. A big reveal event on january/february and from there a big gigaton of Nintendo goodness at E3 2016.
I have a bad feeling that they're gonna wait until sometime in the Spring.

ZOONAMI

The last thing Nintendo needs to do is fall back on "good times" branding for the sake of appealing to nostalgia. (Edit: Also, branding nightmare scenario right there. Introducing confusion to those who already have those products a la XB1 sounds pretty silly.) They already get criticized enough for this on their software front. What's more, using an engendered title like Game Boy in this day and age could also be seen as a slight misstep given the "open to all" branding they managed to accomplish in the last 10 years.

No one buying an nes at retail right now is going great to confused with the original nes. Same goes for Gameboy. But yeah, I'm with ya on the gender thing. Having Gameboy and gamegirl versions would actually just be more controversial.

I wonder if we'll see Pokemon Z or whatever on NX. They oddly skipped this year. I know GF is usually slow to transition, but maybe Nintendo convinced them to switch over quickly. Or maybe they convinced the Pokemon Company to do so since they have Pokemon Go as well.
Probably not at launch but maybe 2017

At the very least, it's going to be compatible. GF has never made a late-era Pokémon game that wasn't compatible with the next succession of hardware (Crystal, Emerald, Black 2 and White 2, etc.)

Riki

Wow so nothing from now until spring? Nintendo better drop massive gigatons by that time.
There's an investor meeting this month and this is usually when Nintendo reveals new stuff. We still have to get the Club Nintendo replacement and their mobile games.
But we definitely won't hear anything NX until next year.

StevieP

Banned

Um. Did 16nm finfet get cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom