• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

It'll be the wii all over again

Hardware tech demo launch game
Cross gen Zelda
New 3D Mario

This time they even have some square stuff! maybe retros new game too. Pikmin 4?
they really need third party support Jesus christ
The sad part is that we're probably not gonna get much more third party support than what we got at the Wii U's launch.

Roo

Cross gen Zelda
New 3D Mario

This time they even have some square stuff! maybe retros new game too. Pikmin 4?

Third parties will come once Nintendo builds up the userbase because you know, they're totally the same market
/s

Pif

Banned
More then everything I want yearly refresh cycles for the hardware ala smartphones.

If they are going for a unified OS that allows older platforms to run games at lesser fidelity then the next year hardware update, so be it. I would upgrade every year if the gains would be tangible.

Pokemaniac

More then everything I want yearly refresh cycles for the hardware ala smartphones.

If they are going for a unified OS that allows older platforms to run games at lesser fidelity then the next year hardware update, so be it. I would upgrade every year if the gains would be tangible.

Yearly refreshes are a terrible idea for consoles. It'll keep prices high and it is much more difficult for developers to take advantage of due to longer turnaround times for game. With how long games take to make, it would almost be guaranteed that the newest hardware at the beginning and end of development would be different, and more substantial games would likely span multiple hardware refreshes.

There's also the fact that it is much less likely people would stay up to date, since game consoles are seen as more of a luxury item than a necessity.

Neoxon

Maybe not yearly, but every other year could work.

I expect Nintendo will also want a machine that offers 100% compatibility with legacy titles, so first party software from NES/GB to Wii U/3DS will be fully supported through the eShop.
I have a hard time seeing Nintendo adopt a gamepad as a primary controller for the second time running. Maybe they could have a gamepad as a peripheral or allow the use of existing Wii U gamepads, or maybe they'll have a way to use the NX handheld as a gamepad for the NX console, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to start from zero controller-wise. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to never see a Wiimote ever again.

Vena

Cross gen Zelda
New 3D Mario

This assumes most of Nintendo's devs have been and will have been doing nothing for the majority of two to three years. And there's no excuse like HD hurdles to weigh on the transition as per Wii (SD) to WiiU (HD) nor is there a handheld in dire need of saving (ala 3DS) when the WiiU launched. Combine the launch line-ups of the 3DS and WiiU, round down to factor in that a 3DS game is less time costly than a full HD game, and you'd have a better point of discussion.

All that being said, the situation is incomparable to past Nintendo because there now only one pipeline for Nintendo and one product.

The sad part is that we're probably not gonna get much more third party support than what we got at the Wii U's launch.

Stop parroting this because it makes no sense when you consider the other half of Nintendo that is a part of the NX overall product: the 3DS.

So many people treat this as if only half of Nintendo is involved in the NX, and the other half seems to have completely disappeared as if massive cognitive dissonance is now the "cool thing to do".

AdanVC

I just want NX to be succesful enough so we can have big third party games such as FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3. That would be insanely cool :'(

Neoxon

Stop parroting this because it makes no sense when you consider the other half of Nintendo that is a part of the NX overall product: the 3DS.

So many people treat this as if only half of Nintendo is involved in the NX, and the other half seems to have completely disappeared as if massive cognitive dissonance is now the "cool thing to do".
We have to consider that a good chunk of those who supported the 3DS at launch aren't there, anymore. Sure, there's still the Japanese companies like Square-Enix who will be there, but that's it.

Azure J

The Wii U generation, despite spawning a ton of cool games and moments, has really just left people very bitter and pessimistic. There's nothing anyone but Nintendo themselves can do to sort that perception out though.

Edit: Though I do have to say Neoxon, ease up on the "mandate" style of posting, no one knows anything for sure at this point.

Pokemaniac

I can't really speak for it having only ever played Pikmin with GCN controllers and the Gamepad, but gyro controls on PS4 have been used similarly to IR. Like when you're typing a message. I think it'd be fine.

That sounds horrifically cumbersome, unless you're talking about using the PS Move.

Vena

We have to consider that a good chunk of those who supported the 3DS at launch aren't there, anymore. Sure, there's still the Japanese companies like Square-Enix who will be there, but that's it.

And then factor in how many lost titles were from the simple march of technology vs. the outdated hardware specs. About the only reason Rev2 wasn't on the 3DS is because its just not able to handle the engine and episodic distribution well.

Of anything else it had, it mostly still has but the system is so unique and archaic that it effectively exists within its own development bubble to the rest of the industry.

The Wii U generation, despite spawning a ton of cool games and moments, has really just left people very bitter and pessimistic. There's nothing anyone but Nintendo themselves can do to sort that perception out though.

Of course but this thread seems to exist partially in an alternate reality where half of Nintendo or its products don't seem to exist.

I recommend they release a new StarTropics to buck this trend.

Clefargle

Here you go again. History has proven that third parties are as interested in Nintendo platforms as the consumers are. If the NX has a great opening and gets a serious install base going they will come back. It's just fucking economics. You sound like these devs are holding grudges, they care primarily about the money. With the exception of EA, any publisher/dev would be stupid to miss out on sales on a Wii/DS level popularity system.

Reveal titles?

Just as a bit of fun...

3D Mario
Retro's new game
Zelda WiiU NX
Pikmin 4
A new IP or two from the Garage program
Something Splatoon- probably a spin-off rather than a sequel, to communicate the message that the franchise has a future.
A pack-in game, similar to Wii Sports or Nintendoland- possibly something incorporating Amiibo?
Smash Bros. For NX- what we got on Wii U and 3DS, with the DLC characters, stages and costumes included.
Maybe Pokémon, if Z and Go are already out by the reveal and Game Freak want to get in on the ground floor.

Monster Hunter (N)X
Yo-Kai Watch
DQ XI
FF XIV
A few smaller Japanese titles, as they try and hold on to the last remnants of the handheld market.
Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions etc.

Nothing earth-shattering, sure, but I'd say this is reasonably feasible judging by Nintendo's recent development. Of course, there's no telling how the reorganisation and foundation of EPD has changed things, but I don't think there's anything too unreasonable here.

StevieP

Banned
With the exception of EA, any publisher/dev would be stupid to miss out on sales on a Wii/DS level popularity system.

Well... aside from the fact that sales like that aren't going to happen again (probably ever) I wouldn't look at the Wii as any kinda indicator of primary support from partners. That third parties sold as many software titles as they did (nearly 2/3 of the 900 million pieces I believe) was a damned miracle based on the junk many of them threw on the Wii.

Also, western publishers don't give a damn about handhelds. Their handheld teams are doing mobile now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have a hard time seeing Nintendo adopt a gamepad as a primary controller for the second time running. Maybe they could have a gamepad as a peripheral or allow the use of existing Wii U gamepads, or maybe they'll have a way to use the NX handheld as a gamepad for the NX console, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to start from zero controller-wise. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to never see a Wiimote ever again.

The Wii remote is just a bluetooth device, it will be supported for sure. Nintendo is not going to just cut off access to some of it's best games.

Wii U gamepad is a bit more complex but they will find a way to get their Wii U games playable on NX, they aren't going to just consign their Wii U library to the dustbin.

Also, western publishers don't give a damn about handhelds. Their handheld teams are doing mobile now.

Nintendo wants mobile developers on board much more than traditional console developers, at least when it comes to Western third parties.

Neoxon

Here you go again. History has proven that third parties are as interested in Nintendo platforms as the consumers are. If the NX has a great opening and gets a serious install base going they will come back. It's just fucking economics. You sound like these devs are holding grudges, they care primarily about the money. With the exception of EA, any publisher/dev would be stupid to miss out on sales on a Wii/DS level popularity system.
I'm talking about at launch. They're probably gonna wait on the fence to see if there's a sizable install base.

Reveal titles?

Just as a bit of fun...

3D Mario
Retro's new game
Zelda WiiU NX
Pikmin 4
Something Splatoon- probably a spin-off rather than a sequel, to communicate the message that the franchise has a future.
A pack-in game, similar to Wii Sports or Nintendoland- possibly something incorporating Amiibo?
Smash Bros. For NX- what we got on Wii U and 3DS, with the DLC characters, stages and costumes included.
Maybe Pokémon, if Z and Go are already out by the reveal and Game Freak want to get in on the ground floor.

Monster Hunter (N)X
Yo-Kai Watch
DQ XI
FF XIV
A few smaller Japanese titles, as they try and hold on to the last remnants of the handheld market.

Nothing earth-shattering, sure, but I'd say this is reasonably feasible judging by Nintendo's recent development. Of course, there's no telling how the reorganisation and foundation of EPD has changed things, but I don't think there's anything too unreasonable here.
As I've said numerous times, Game Freak likes to take their time when adopting new platforms. As such, they'll probably release Pokémon Z either in the summer or October for the 3DS as a swan song for the platform. And I'm not sure if we'd get anything Splatoon-related until the inevitable sequel in probably 2017.

Pokemaniac

Reveal titles?

Just as a bit of fun...

3D Mario
Retro's new game
Zelda WiiU NX
Pikmin 4

Monster Hunter (N)X
Yo-Kai Watch
DQ XI
FF XIV

Pokemon Z for NX isn't happening outside of backwards compatibility. There are very good reasons why Game Freak syncs hardware transitions with generation transitions.

Spinoffs, on the other hand, are both possible and likely. I wonder if the detective Pikachu game might resurface for NX.

As I've said numerous times, Game Freak likes to take their time when adopting new platforms. As such, they'll probably release Pokémon Z either in the summer or October for the 3DS as a swan song for the platform. And I'm not sure if we'd get anything Splatoon-related until the inevitable sequel in probably 2017.

I'm well aware of how the Pokémon cycle works, thanks, but they've already started Z promotion with the anime. I'll be staggered if it's still a year off. Revealing the new generation a few months afterwards is a bit of a stretch, admittedly, but it's not like I'm expecting it at launch.

I wasn't suggesting all those games will be at launch, either, just as a Wii-style software blowout at the reveal.

Pokemon Z for NX isn't happening outside of backwards compatibility. There are very good reasons why Game Freak syncs hardware transitions with generation transitions.

Spinoffs, on the other hand, are both possible and likely. I wonder if the detective Pikachu game might resurface for NX.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it would be Z. It just depends whether Game Freak drag their feet, like they did with the 3DS, or whether they want to get quickly established this time around.

Even without X and Y, the absence of any big Pokémon software on 3DS for the first few years of its life was baffling to me. Pokédex 3D seemed almost apologetic.

3DS only really had one game to show, Kid Icarus, in video form. It had a number of titles on a screen, most of which didn't materialize, one of which was laughed at. There were some games announced there (some of which changed scope drastically, like MGS3, and some were only shown in videos during later days, like Ocarina 3D), but it's not any different (or better) than how the Wii U was revealed.

If you count 2006 as the reveal of the Wii and not TGS 2005 where it was actually revealed with no games.

It had proto-versions of the Wii Sports games, but mostly stuff like "Here's Metroid Prime 2 with the Wiimote and nunchuck."

The only game really shown was Kid Icarus but the 3DS still had big names attached to it. I mean, it was announced with Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Layton, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive. The E3 conference had a lot of hype and interest from people.

Pokemaniac

I'm well aware of how the Pokémon cycle works, thanks, but they've already started Z promotion with the anime. I'll be staggered if it's still a year off. Revealing the new generation a few months afterwards is a bit of a stretch, admittedly, but it's not like I'm expecting it at launch.

I wasn't suggesting all those games will be at launch, either, just as a Wii-style software blowout at the reveal.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it would be Z. It just depends whether Game Freak drag their feet, like they did with the 3DS, or whether they want to get quickly established this time around.

Even without X and Y, the absence of any big Pokémon software on 3DS for the first few years of its life was baffling to me. Pokédex 3D seemed almost apologetic.

Even in the best case case scenario (Spring release of Pokemon Z) a 2016 reveal for Gen VII would be pushing it. I really don't expect to hear anything on that front until early 2017 at the earliest.

Gen VI spinoff games, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see at all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Black 2 released way late in the DS cycle. I mean it was a DS game that released a year AFTER the 3ds.

I wouldn't put to much stock into the Pokemon cycle in terms of the NX cycle.

On a somewhat related note, people just recently discovered what clockspeed the CPU and GPU runs in the PSVita, and it is lower than what a lot of people were expecting (at default 333MHz and 111MHz for games respectfully). Consider how well Vita's games have turned out, and that the n3DS's CPU got boosted to as high as it has, I don't think we have to worry too much about the NX portable not surpassing the Vita, and for it to respectfully look like a Wii U game on the small screen.

The only game really shown was Kid Icarus but the 3DS still had big names attached to it. I mean, it was announced with Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Layton, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive. The E3 conference had a lot of hype and interest from people.
Yeah not sure what the hell hes talking about. The hype for 3DS was insane because of all those announced titles and brands coming to the system. Dont gotta show much but need something similar for NX. Wii U didnt even have games like that like announced.

Announce it in Feb and show off the hardware, announce partners, demo like Zelda NX since its been announced, and possibly Pokemon for the handheld NX

Then tease Mario NX, Pikmin 4 NX and other big announcements for E3

E3 all games
I think they should announce or tease something during the reveal. Maybe the reveal would focus on the concept, one major title and more teases while at e3 they can go all out on games not having to worry about selling the concept.

Riki

I think they should announce or tease something during the reveal. Maybe the reveal would focus on the concept, one major title and more teases while at e3 they can go all out on games not having to worry about selling the concept.

If they tease anything, it should be Retro's game. Which isn't Donkey Kong or Diddy Racing.
I hope...

Pokemaniac

On a somewhat related note, people just recently discovered what clockspeed the CPU and GPU runs in the PSVita, and it is lower than what a lot of people were expecting (at default 333MHz and 111MHz for games respectfully). Consider how well Vita's games have turned out, and that the n3DS's CPU got boosted to as high as it has, I don't think we have to worry too much about the NX portable not surpassing the Vita, and for it to respectfully look like a Wii U game on the small screen.

IIRC some people in here calculated that even with those speeds the New 3DS only slightly edges out the Vita due to difference in the CPUs.

But yeah, Vita isn't exactly a high bar.

IIRC some people in here calculated that even with those speeds the New 3DS only slightly edges out the Vita due to difference in the CPUs.

It does in raw power but it wouldnt take into account PSVita's Cortex A9 architecture advantage such as SIMD or NEON.

If Nintendo wants to put up a big list of names on screen and elicit laughter again, I think that is well within their power, yes.

That makes sense. While the clockspeed for the 3DS' CPU cores are higher, those ARM11s are several generations older than the ones found in the Vita. Still.. it is strange for me to comprehend that Nintendo pushed the 3DS CPU that far. :eek:

If Nintendo wants to put up a big list of names on screen and elicit laughter again, I think that is well within their power, yes.
It does work. And a lot of those early titles that were teased did happen a lot of them did take a long time to come out though.
But yeah, the 3DS reveal was pretty hype despite its launch line up being less than stellar.

ZOONAMI

That makes sense. While the clockspeed for the 3DS' CPU cores are higher, those ARM11s are several generations older than the ones found in the Vita. Still.. it is strange for me to comprehend that Nintendo pushed the 3DS CPU that far. :eek:

I think it means the NX home console will arrive sooner than the portable. We will see more upcoming n3ds games. They really should figure out a way to put both a 3ds and n3ds version on the same cart to avoid consumer confusion.

2010 was also a way different time for Nintendo than 2016 will be.

They can't afford to ask people to just trust them. I absolutely think they believe they can ask people to just trust them.

Pokemaniac

Whatever game(s) they show at the initial reveal will probably play a big part in setting the tone for the system. They'll probably want a small set of games/teases that show that they mean business. Including one or two big third party games wouldn't hurt either.

Neoxon

I think it means the NX home console will arrive sooner than the portable. We will see more upcoming n3ds games. They really should figure out a way to put both a 3ds and n3ds version on the same cart to avoid consumer confusion.
I don't think they will, especially since Nintendo is slowing down 3DS support as much as they are Wii U support.

It does work. And a lot of those early titles that were teased did happen a lot of them did take a long time to come out though.
But yeah, the 3DS reveal was pretty hype despite its launch line up being less than stellar.
And if they need to learn anything from Sony to learn about hype look at e3 15. Those games dont need to come out right away but we need to know they are coming. A metroid reveal never happened and we know its never coming to Wii U. Especially what tanabe said about it should come to NX.

Pokemaniac

Ummm, there are a whole bunch of New 3DS enhanced games already on cartridges.

Also the New 3DS is a stopgap just like the DSi and Game Boy Color. Usually Nintendo replaces the handheld about 2 years after the stopgap version launches, which comes out to Fall 2016 (going by the Japanese New 3DS launch.)

Neoxon

Ok, so you're saying it will be like every Nintendo launch since the SNES then... Don't see what makes the NX different
No, the SNES came off of the successful NES. After the failure of the Wii U, most third parties will be apprehensive about supporting the platform until the NX Platform proves itself. Most of the third party support will probably be on the NX Handheld's end.

4Tran

And if they need to learn anything from Sony to learn about hype look at e3 15. Those games dont need to come out right away but we need to know they are coming. A metroid reveal never happened and we know its never coming to Wii U. Especially what tanabe said about it should come to NX.
The difference is that the PS4 is one of the hottest selling consoles ever, so Sony had no need to convince people that their product was worth buying. Nintendo has to sell a lot of skeptical stakeholders that the NX console and handheld have a lot of good games and features at launch. If they can't deliver something really eye-catching from the get go, then their hardware will be considered a dead duck right then and there. The question is whether Nintendo knows this.

Ogodei

The difference is that the PS4 is one of the hottest selling consoles ever, so Sony had no need to convince people that their product was worth buying. Nintendo has to sell a lot of skeptical stakeholders that the NX console and handheld have a lot of good games and features at launch. If they can't deliver something really eye-catching from the get go, then their hardware will be considered a dead duck right then and there. The question is whether Nintendo knows this.

I mean, if they're complacent at this point, they fully deserve whatever comes afterwards.

But given that Iwata seemed to be aware from the time of the Ambassador Program in mid 2011 that a sense of urgency was needed. They looked like they were coming out swinging with Wii U in E3 that year. That it all fell apart was, well, it was due to their mistakes, but not due to a lack of awareness that you need to lead strongly. Nintendo consciously knew that, they just dropped the ball.

Arguably not at launch. Launch Wii U sales were the only time the console looked healthy on the charts, and NSMBU was the right game to lead with. It was when we staggered into 2013 and suddenly everything dried up (on both first and third party lines, the Pikmin and Rayman delays were dual blows) that everything fell apart.

Vena

They can't afford to ask people to just trust them. I absolutely think they believe they can ask people to just trust them.

I don't. At all.

Not given their current position, and I think they've been working on backroom dealings and plans for some time (not least of which was the DQXI *leak*). They know full well that *trust us* isn't going to fly after it failed with the 3DS (which they managed to turn around with results not promises) and the WiiU (which they couldn't turn around with promises or, much to late, results).

Too many back-to-back failures and reality checks for me to think they believe such a thing now. Heck, "trust us" has completely failed with Star Fox and it has been delayed.

StevieP

Banned

The console is such a hot selling property in Japan that they totally didn't have to tease Japanese software that's more than 3 years out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom