• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh | Last Chance Trail Reveal Trailer | PS4

Neolombax

Gold Member
What kind of game is this. If it's platinum games/Ninja Gaiden like then I'm out. Tried them numerous times and found them boring/not my cup of tea.

On the other hand I've platinumed every souls game, so I'm interested to know which it leans towards.

Why not download it have a feel for yourself? It doesn't feel exactly the same as a Souls game, nor does it feel entirely like a Ninja Gaiden game. The movements are fast (not sure if its DS3 fast, didn't play that game), but you can't combo mash your way through the levels either...at least I can't.

What kind of game is this. If it's platinum games/Ninja Gaiden like then I'm out. Tried them numerous times and found them boring/not my cup of tea.

On the other hand I've platinumed every souls game, so I'm interested to know which it leans towards.

It's got a stamina bar, Estus flasks, Bonfires, doors that only open from one side and ladders you can kick down to create shortcuts. There's a deeper combat system with more mechanics in there, too, but you don't have to delve into it if you don't want to. Just try out the free trial and see for yourself.

Can someone please tell me how the coop is gonna work? Google just gives me info about the earlier betas

Summary

Two types of co-op:

1. Random summons - Just like Souls. Summon at the rest point. Need an item.

2. Matchmake summons - Pair up in the hub menu. Can pick your partner. Don't need item.

GonzoCR

I can't imagine if Bloodborne had that option.

The Ludwig fight at 60fps...

fry-money-seizure-o.gif

Don't; reality's too painful.

For the record Bloodborne is my favorite game ever, but its frame rate and frame pacing will always be a sore point.

MrTexor

I'm having some strange PS Store problems...
The first one is that I, iirc, received 2 different DLC items during the last beta. One after killing the 2nd boss. And the other DLC, again iirc, after one of the twilight stages. I only see one in my PS store items.

The other problem I have is with the pre-order. I pre-ordered the deluxe edition. When I go to store, it says that the deluxe edition is $20 (but I cant buy it) and the regular edition is unavailable.. Anyone else seeing this?

Jimrpg

Yep. Downloaded and ready to go.
This should make the wait for Yakuza 0 a little bit easier :)

That darn Yakuza 0 thread makes the waiting worse doesnt it? >.< I'm like extra hyped.

Hopefully in approx one months time I'll have both of these games and then Ill have enough to stop me from coming back here and buying the rest of Q1 and Q2 games....

I loved that trailer in the OP though, that weapon was so boss!

Remember, being able to download the demo already and actually being able to play it are two different things. Wish it started on Friday.

That darn Yakuza 0 thread makes the waiting worse doesnt it? >.< I'm like extra hyped.

Hopefully in approx one months time I'll have both of these games and then Ill have enough to stop me from coming back here and buying the rest of Q1 and Q2 games....

I loved that trailer in the OP though, that weapon was so boss!
Yeah, it really does. This Nioh demo literally couldn't have come at a better time.

Really annoying that this is locked until the weekend. I have it pre-ordered, what's the difference in letting us play the demo for four days instead of two? Absurd decision.

Does this game have online functionality of any type? I downloaded the previous demo/trial, but didn't play much of it. I've pre-loaded the new demo but I'm busy with Bloodborne at the moment so I'm not sure I'll get around to playing it.

Lakitu

st5fu
I would have liked to give this game a chance since it's clearly inspired by Dark Souls (but not an outright copycat). But every piece of media puts me off due to how dark the levels are. Why does it have to be so dark? Is it a story element?

Guymelef

Does this game have online functionality of any type? I downloaded the previous demo/trial, but didn't play much of it. I've pre-loaded the new demo but I'm busy with Bloodborne at the moment so I'm not sure I'll get around to playing it.

You can invoque other players for coop and PvP will be added after lauch for free.

Peroroncino

Online coop with random people or friends, fighting with dead spirits of other players for their equipment, and sometime after release, PvP will be added.

geordiemp

Summary

Two types of co-op:

1. Random summons - Just like Souls. Summon at the rest point. Need an item.

2. Matchmake summons - Pair up in the hub menu. Can pick your partner. Don't need item.

Wooah, you mean you can play the whole game coop with a buddy start to finish, no fucking about with summons or shit ! REALLY !

If this is true that elevates this game beyond recognition, always wanted a true coop gaiden type experience start to finish.

Bought Bloodborne to coop with my son, but he cant get past first levels to do the whatever, he dropped the game quickly.

Say it again....Matchmake ....in...lobby ?

I downloaded the Beta and when I want to start it says:

20.01 14:00 - 22.01 01:00

So I'll be able to play it tomorrow (friday at 14:00) right? And not like you guys starting from staturday 0:00? Or is this an error?

Coxy100

Banned
I downloaded the Beta and when I want to start it says:

20.01 14:00 - 22.01 01:00

So I'll be able to play it tomorrow (friday at 14:00) right? And not like you guys starting from staturday 0:00? Or is this an error?
I guess it's because at that time it's the weekend somewhere else?

Wooah, you mean you can play the whole game coop with a buddy start to finish, no fucking about with summons or shit ! REALLY !

If this is true that elevates this game beyond recognition, always wanted a true coop gaiden type experience start to finish.

Bought Bloodborne to coop with my son, but he cant get past first levels to do the whatever, he dropped the game quickly.

Say it again....Matchmake ....in...lobby ?

Oh boy this would take some explaining.

Nioh isn't an interconnected world like Dark Souls, each stage has it's own isolated zone on the world map and you select whichever mission/level you want to do. So for the buddy co-op you can matchmake in the overworld for a specific zone and the both of you will play out the area from start to finish.

In addition if you co-op using this system both you and your partner can revive each other in the field. You both will share a special blue meter and you use that resource to bring each other back, you will lose the game if that meter runs out. One more thing, if you co-op this way you will not have any access to the shrines in the area.

It looks very similar to the second mission area from the Alpha, actually. Just with a Hanya boss instead of the Nueh boss that was previously there.

If it really is a new area... the game could use some more varied scenery.

We've been through this already, there are plenty of different areas.

geordiemp

Oh boy this would take some explaining.

One more thing, if you co-op this way you will not have any access to the shrines in the area.

So you can, but you share essence or orbs or whatever, and the shrine things mean no upgrades..or whatever the shrines do ?

Sorry if I am dumb, just downloaded demo for first time and Nioh has just come into my radar.

Proper GOOD online coop games and campaigns fully fleshed out get insta buy digitally on our 2 Ps4's...From Nioh Wiki

You can summon another player to help you at any Shrine. Select the "Summon Visitor" option and offer an Ochoko. You will not lose an Ochoko if no player is summoned, but you cannot summon another player without one. After doing this continue playing as summoning will happen automatically. It can take quite a long time currently to summon someone.

Matchmaking in Nioh is how the player is summoned to assist another. From the general overview screen (this won't be present until after you beat the first boss in the Alpha) select a Mission and hit the Matchmaking button to help another player in their world in that Mission.

So you can, but you share essence or orbs or whatever, and the shrine things mean no upgrades..or whatever the shrines do ?

Sorry if I am dumb, just downloaded demo for first time and Nioh has just come into my radar.

Proper GOOD online coop games and campaigns fully fleshed out get insta buy digitally on our 2 Ps4's...From Nioh Wiki

No, don't confuse the two summoning mechanics.

The one I told you is for matchmaking with a specific co-op buddy, that is done from the 'lobby'.

There is another way to summon people but that is for random summoning like in Dark Souls. It requires you to use the Shrine to summon them. The Shrine is the rest point where you can level up, set your spells, save your progress and generally do a whole bunch of things so you're at a disadvantage without them. They also replenish certain items like your healing potion but those can also be loot from enemies.

Begaria

So far they seem pretty grounded. Katanas, dual katanas, hammers, axes, spears, bows, matchlock guns, and that chain weapon. Nothing too crazy I don't think.

BSpot

So it says 1/20 @ 20: hours. Does it really not go live until 8pm PST tomorrow? Or is it not PST that that time is based on?

Top Bottom