• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS CEO: "Important that PS4 and Switch balance out." Multiplat "very much" possible.

Celine

Poor Xbox. Sitting in the corner, crying

whats-an-xbox.gif

FStubbs

Well what I have been saying: For Japan Switch is the new DS and therefore it willget a lot of japanese support

Fixed

I think Xbone did even worse than 360

As far as NIS goes, more like Switch is the new Vita.

I think Falcom will go PS4/PC before ever considering Switch.

DieH@rd

Banned
Switch CPU is faster (foxconn leak that was proven true friday) so that shouldn't happen.

If you mean by MHz count, that means jack shit. X86 Jaguar is more capable architecture, it has access to more electricity and it has more cores on the home consoles.

The market for core games is still around, even though people go to their phones, the people who are interested in core gaming dont suddenly dump it to play on mobile exclusively. I'm sure plenty of the phone gamers are also owners of a Nintendo handheld or a PS4.

There's no way Sony could be beating PS3 in hardware sales and software sales launch aligned otherwise

People just love to be the first to say that consoles are dead in Japan it seems.

Haha! Those timelines!

StereoVsn

Vita is a failure even in japan. It didnt sell anywhere near PSP. Saying that PS4 sold just as well as Vita is not reassuring. It just recently outsold WiiU LTD despite WiiU being pretty much dead for about a year. Also PS4 failed to sell software. There is not even one million seller on Ps4. Not even FF, a surefire millionseller, could reach that number. Now PS4 is in a good situation still because there is no competition in the market but its not an incredible success at least in japan so far.
PS4 unit software sales, attach rates and hardware sales are all higher then PS3. What is happening is those sales are distributed across greater variety of games then in the past, plusbyku are not seeing digital sales at all.

Overall actually PS4 is doing relatively well in Japan compared to what could have been happening. Now, no single game is doing as well as before, so MGSV is doing worse then 4, and FF is doing worse then XIII but overall sales are up compared launch aligned to PS3.

All that said, considering the budgets of most games we are talking about we will see a lot of 3DS and Vita publishers doing PS4/Switch/PC (except for Altus and maybe Level-5) since port costs are not as bad as before, all 3 have audience in the West and Switch at some point in 2018 will become a sole handheld platform (well maybe there would be a new handheld Switch Sky of some sort). That is unless Switch completely tanks Wii-U style which is unlikely.

As far as NIS goes, more like Switch is the new Vita.

I think Falcom will go PS4/PC before ever considering Switch.

Was there ever a falcom game on a nintendo platform? I think there was a gimped YSIII on SNES once right (also YS I and II on DS)? I dont see a reason why they would hate nintendo but they were PC only for a long time and kinda had a renaissance on Playstation so I would not expect them to bring games to Switch

Teletraan1

Banned
Their games are not technological beasts. I love their games but they should be able to get them running on just about anything with enough compromises. Other than a few (1) stage(s) I don't see why Disgaea 5 couldn't be ported to even a vita.

Not really, it's Japan and Xbox gamers don't really purchase these types of games.

Or any at all really looking at media create.

So I assume this strategy is projecting they'll be able to sell more copies on the switch in Japan and more on the PS4 in the west, which sounds about right - assuming the switch is successfully seen as a handheld in Japan.

fingers crossed on those and coven.

Coven maybe, but are they really gonna port a game that bombed as hard as Princess is money hungry? I'm expecting just the usual PC port if they come west.

Plus, NIS don't really have much of a history of porting handheld games to future handhelds. Aside from Criminal Girls they didn't do any PSP -> Vita ports. Maybe Switch is the exception but I'd expect Witch & Hundred Knight remaster in anticipation of a multi-plat sequel if anything.

If you mean by MHz count, that means jack shit. X86 Jaguar is more capable architecture, it has access to more electricity and it has more cores on the home consoles.

Jaguar is pretty much on par with Cortex-A57, but you're right that PS4 and Xbox One have double the cores and I believe their CPU clocks would make per-core performance superior to Switch's.

Was there ever a falcom game on a nintendo platform? I think there was a gimped YSIII on SNES once right (also YS I and II on DS)? I dont see a reason why they would hate nintendo but they were PC only for a long time and kinda had a renaissance on Playstation so I would not expect them to bring games to Switch

Ys V was on the Super Famicom.

I wouldn't count out Switch games from them, but they won't be developed internally, they don't have the resources for it.

Chorazin

My dreams of the Switch becoming Vita 2 seem to be getting closer to reality. Big, awesome Nintendo games and crazy weird Japanese games please!

kennyamr

Games that do not require that much power sure, the best route for them is multiplat, however there will be others that should stay on the PS4 camp to avoid too many compromises during development.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Having two viable systems in Japan, and the rest of the world for that matters, that has both overlapping and complementary demographics is going to be hugely important for a healthy Japanese game development. The full spectrum needs to covered and numbers need to be there.

NIS, I like you.

Disgaea is now day one for me on the Switch. I'm hoping we get tons more quirky Japanese releases localized in the west on the Switch.

Does Nintendo really censor third party games for the west? I'm curious.

Kacho

So time for this one?

2kWHUnN.png

I have no problem if this becomes the new norm for Japan, hopefully western developers will follow suit too.

lol my how times have changed.

This is good news as I don't own a PS4 but I'll be getting a Switch at launch. Assuming most Japanese publishers go this route the Switch is going to be godlike for me.

Having two viable systems in Japan, and the rest of the world for that matters, that has both overlapping and complementary demographics is going to be hugely important for a healthy Japanese game development. The full spectrum needs to covered and numbers need to be there.

So he is saying Sony should make a Vita successor if they dont want NIS and other Japanese developers to step into the ecosystem of competitors? I hope Sony takes that threat to heart and makes one.

lenovox1

Games that do not require that much power sure, the best route for them is multiplat, however there will be others that should stay on the PS4 camp to avoid too many compromises during development.

And what are those Vita-PS4 games that couldn't run on the Switch?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So he is saying Sony should make a Vita successor if they dont want NIS and other Japanese developers to step into the ecosystem of competitors? I hope Sony takes that threat to heart and makes one.

he didn't say anything of the sort. He said the japanese industry needs both PS4 and switch to do well and complement each other for the success of the non mobile developers

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And what are those Vita-PS4 games that couldn't run on the Switch?

Nier runs at 900p 60fps on PS4 with all that shit happening on screen. Considering Switch would have to take into account its handheld mode, it would be a hard sell.

Same with games like Nioh, or KH 2.8/3 or FF15, or FF7R which are bigger in scale and are built with PS4 as lead platform.

Somehow i doubt developers are going to try and cut that experience down to fit on the switch.

Smaller devs who were already 3DS and vita sure, and other new games that lead on Switch sure, but those already working on PS4 exclusively may find issues.

DQ11 i think will be a big first test for switch and PS4 side by side development on the same game. I don't think its really pushing PS4 all that much, but the Switch version will have to be taken into account anyway

So if I'm understanding him correctly, I don't need to buy a Switch because their games are coming to both the PS4 and the Switch. I'm I wrong?

I'm sorry to crush your beliefs but according to these lists psp had 61 games released in the entire 2012 while vita 83
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Portable_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M–Z)

the fact that vita games are divided into a-l and m-z lists while psp has a single lists says it all.

For some reason people really like to think that vita has no games, according to wiki vita has 1356 games while the 3ds "only" 1002(and the 3ds was released almost one year before vita)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

yeah vita is dead and has no games, some people are too casuals to verify if what they hear and then repeat is true, and it's not hard or slow to verify things just by simply surfing a little on internet.

Erm, aren't you being ridiculously defensive over things I never even implied? I've had two Vitas (a 1000 and 2000 model) since launch day and I own over 100 games for the thing. I'm not saying it has no games. I happen to remember PSP and DS having great support when the Vita and 3DS launched. Sheesh. Don't turn this into a petty Vita Vs 3DS discussion when most of us have both and appreciate the qualities of both.

But thanks for being incredibly patronising to me anyway. I guess I'll go back to my in-progress "casual" PS Vita and PSP-3000 games this evening, like Yomawari, Grand Kingdom, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Star Soldier. Bloody casuals and their Vita games libraries. I am not worthy ;) ;) ;)

Kyoufu

I wouldn't take this as true for other developers. NIS games could run on a toaster.

If you haven't noticed, Japanese PS4 games with the exception of FFXV and MGS4 could probably run on toasters too.

Publishers like Bandai Namco are chomping at the bit to re-use their PS3 Tales Of engine again.

Top Bottom