• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS CEO: "Important that PS4 and Switch balance out." Multiplat "very much" possible.

he didn't say anything of the sort. He said the japanese industry needs both PS4 and switch to do well and complement each other for the success of the non mobile developers

Fine fine. I want to Sony to interpret how I did and come out with a portable Sony successor. Selfish, I know, but I do like the Vita.

As for the actual crux (after reading other comments correcting), I think this is going to be an interesting time in Japan and for titles coming from Japan. Home console market hasnt been doing great and handheld markets, while doing better, still are not where they were at the DS/PSP generation. I think the Vita to PS4 uprez phenomena worked as a gateway/stepping stone for some developers to get their titles on home consoles AND success in the west. How that translates to a Switch/PS4 ecosystem, I do not know as there at least some incentives like cross-save or cross-play depending on the title in the Vita/PS4 world.

NolbertoS

Thats goos news that NIS is going to give us more JRPG for the Switch. Already bought tons of CE'sfor the Vita and I expect NIS to sell them for switch. I'll probably divide my CE's based on preference. Think the Switch will be my defacto JRPG machine as honestly I get more JRPG's completed portably and keep the latest Disgaea's on PS4

jackdoe

That may hold true for more mainstream Japanese titles, but considering how niche the NIS games are, how well do they expect a multiplatform title to sell? Especially considering how expensive the "portable console" is.

Scrawnton

That may hold true for more mainstream Japanese titles, but considering how niche the NIS games are, how well do they expect a multiplatform title to sell? Especially considering how expensive the "portable console" is.
I think the fact that it's portable is the sole reason for the port. I like tactics RPGs but I don't play those types of games on console. Disgaea 5 is day one for me on Switch.

I think the fact that it's portable is the sole reason for the port. I like tactics RPGs but I don't play those types of games on console. Disgaea 5 is day one for me on Switch.

Exactly. I just don't have the hours to spend at home to play these kinds of games anymore.

Meanwhile I'm on a train for a minimum of ten hours a week.

Plus it doesn't hurt that mobile is the only thing that's been selling in Japan since the wii craze died down.

timberger

I'd assumed NIS going Switch as well as PS4 on everything from now on was a given tbh. Makes too much sense not to go that route.

Really hope we get more more than one healthy console on the market that has a receptive audience to Japanese centric games like Disgaea.

Switch is truly the Vita successor

Ouch... even sceptical as I am about Switch, I wouldn't sell it that short :p

Xe0x0ZA.jpg

Okay, I don't know if anybody gets it but that fallen hero timeline is brilliant.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Erm, aren't you being ridiculously defensive over things I never even implied? I've had two Vitas (a 1000 and 2000 model) since launch day and I own over 100 games for the thing. I'm not saying it has no games. I happen to remember PSP and DS having great support when the Vita and 3DS launched. Sheesh. Don't turn this into a petty Vita Vs 3DS discussion when most of us have both and appreciate the qualities of both.

But thanks for being incredibly patronising to me anyway. I guess I'll go back to my in-progress "casual" PS Vita and PSP-3000 games this evening, like Yomawari, Grand Kingdom, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Star Soldier. Bloody casuals and their Vita games libraries. I am not worthy ;) ;) ;)

Oh man i forgot to specify that in the second part of my post i wasn't talking about you, when i said "people" i really meant "(some generic)people" not "you"

The part of my post directed to you was only this one:

I'm sorry to crush your beliefs but according to these lists psp had 61 games released in the entire 2012 while vita 83
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Portable_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_(A–L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_(M–Z)

the fact that vita games are divided into a-l and m-z lists while psp has a single lists says it all.

the rest of my post was my sarcastic thoughts on vita haters, not on you.

I'm sorry for my not too clear post, i should have written it better :(

Exactly. I just don't have the hours to spend at home to play these kinds of games anymore.

Meanwhile I'm on a train for a minimum of ten hours a week.

Plus it doesn't hurt that mobile is the only thing that's been selling in Japan since the wii craze died down.

This, I have a long commute every day so I'll be picking up Disgaea 5 in a heartbeat and whittle away at it every day. I managed to play through a fair few RPGs last year because of that - Stella Glow, Trails of Cold Steel, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Trillion: God of Destruction - that way.

I'm sorry to crush your beliefs but according to these lists psp had 61 games released in the entire 2012 while vita 83
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Portable_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M–Z)

the fact that vita games are divided into a-l and m-z lists while psp has a single lists says it all.

For some reason people really like to think that vita has no games, according to wiki vita has 1356 games while the 3ds "only" 1002(and the 3ds was released almost one year before vita)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

yeah vita is dead and has no games, some people are too casuals to verify if what they hear and then repeat is true, and it's not hard or slow to verify things just by simply surfing a little on internet.

When people talk about games, it implies GOOD games. Critically acclaimed games. in that case every platforms have games. Of course Vita still gets releases, but when people talk about games, it's implying good games.

Oh man i forgot to specify that in the second part of my post i wasn't talking about you, when i said "people" i really meant "(some generic)people" not "you"

The part of my post directed to you was only this one:

the rest of my post was my sarcastic thoughts on vita haters, not on you.

I'm sorry for my not too clear post, i should have written it better :(

Aha! No hard feelings then! Sorry for misunderstanding.

That's pretty much how I'd imagine most of the niche/otaku game industry over there is thinking- handhelds still make up a large chunk of that market in Japan, and there's not going to be a Vita 2, so Switch is going to be the only game in town for dedicated handhelds. At the same time the Switch's success in that market isn't 100% guaranteed, so they still need to maintain PS4 support as the fallback plan.

Unless it bombs super-hard among the 3DS/Vita market I'd imagine that we'll see most Japanese devs whose games can run on toasters go from PS4/Vita to PS4/Switch. If it winds up being a massive success some of them may even go full Switch.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
PSP was still getting relatively major games through 2012 (and 2013) which skipped Vita. Stuff like Digimon World Re;Digitize; Super Robot Wars Z-II; Tales of Heroes; 7th Dragon 2020-II; Fate/Extra CCC; Yakuza Black Panter 2; Shining Blade/Ark; Summon Night 5; Nayuta no Kiseki etc.

All of them exclusive of course.

The fact Vita is getting multi-plats with PS4 that aren't coming to Switch in the first few months of its life is not surprising in any way whatsoever. It's not even getting any exclusives. We barely know of any games coming in the second half of the year and all the 'big' hitters for the first few months are also on PS4 (DanganRonpa; Super Robot Wars; Accel World vs. SAO etc.)

As has been pointed out multiple times in that thread, that isn't really down to Vita.

Games can be better than they are right now, but most of this comes down to budget. Look at things made just for PS4 - Omega Quintet; Onechanbara Z2 etc., there's no reason they couldn't have been tweaked to be on Vita without largely affecting the game. Because they're made for peanuts based on sales expectations.
I was trying to put into perspective the 5 old year dead handheld with the new handheld of the king of handhelds.

Few games, even if exclusive and really good, remain few games.
Obviously i expect other announcements for the switch and i don't expect vita to lasts forever, but vita has still some exclusives and games keep getting announced, yes most of them are multi with ps4(but for some reason people don't think the same of ps4 that most of its games are multis with xb1, vita, ps3, pc, 3ds and switch) and very few are somewhat medium-big, but a game is a game, or not?

People underestimates the importance of multis for the health of a platform, no multis=no third parties, it means that developers don't gain money on the platform hence don't develop games for it, not even multi.

When people talk about games, it implies GOOD games. Critically acclaimed games. in that case every platforms have games. Of course Vita still gets releases, but when people talk about games, it's implying good games.
Do you know that on metacritic vita had the highest score average in 2015 and 2016(i don't know before)...
metacriticplatforms204msza.png
NqWz5xG.jpg

...despite games like dragon quest builders, volgarr the viking, slain and others weren't counted at all on vita?

(I'm talking in general now)Again real numbers against unfounded hate, is it really that hard for people to check if what they hear is true?

Aha! No hard feelings then! Sorry for misunderstanding.

Good :)

Do you know that on metacritic vita had the highest score average in 2015 and 2016(i don't know before)...

...despite games like dragon quest builders, volgarr the viking, slain and others weren't counted at all on vita?

(I'm talking in general now)Again real numbers against unfounded hate, is it really that hard for people to check if what they hear is true?
Vita's advantage there is due to the quantity and nature of the games that have been releasing on the platform. In those years pretty much all Vita games released and scored on Metacritic were targeted at a particular niche and almost entirely reviewed by people in that niche, so naturally it's going to have a somewhat more stable average than the more popular platforms which have a lot of games that get universal mainstream critical acclaim as well as a lot of outright shovelware.

It's certainly unfair to say that the Vita doesn't get good games period- but it would be fair to say that it only has good games for a certain market. If you're part of the otaku game/niche JRPG market, the Vita's a great platform, if you're not, there's basically nothing there for you.

Durante

I'd assume the multiplatform aspect is not so much about selling more in Japan. It's about selling on Switch in Japan and on PS4 (and maybe PC if they ever catch up) elsewhere.

Also, NIS games should be quite cheap to port using a decent modern development pipeline.

Good point. I never play those kind of games on a tv. Played the heck out of games like tactics ogre and such on my handheld through the years though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vita's advantage there is due to the quantity and nature of the games that have been releasing on the platform. In those years pretty much all Vita games released and scored on Metacritic were targeted at a particular niche and almost entirely reviewed by people in that niche, so naturally it's going to have a somewhat more stable average than the more popular platforms which have a lot of games that get universal mainstream critical acclaim as well as a lot of outright shovelware.

It's certainly unfair to say that the Vita doesn't get good games period- but it would be fair to say that it only has good games for a certain market. If you're part of the otaku game/niche JRPG market, the Vita's a great platform, if you're not, there's basically nothing there for you.

While I see your point and i sort of agree too, niche people like games like Dragon quest builders, volgarr the viking, slain and others, but vita is so ignored by the critics that vita versions of those games didn't even reach the necessary number of reviews(4 IIRC) to get a metacritic average, they weren't even counted at all! In the 2016 screen there's written 46 games on vita, but in those 46 games DQB, slain, volgarr and many others weren't counted while they were counted in every other platform.

Vita simply doesn't even get the same treatment as the other consoles, the same rules that applies to other consoles don't apply to vita, if at least notable games like DQB, volgarr and slain were counted too vita's number of games and their average score would have been even higher.

Exactly, and I don't need to buy a PS4.

I only play nintendo and japanese games. So I'm pretty happy
I already have the PS4 and also love Japanese games so I guess I'm good. I do love Nintendo games but the Switch is looking more and more like a money sink. I'm going with the wait and see approach for now.

Smo21

This is what I was expecting. The switch becomes the home for Japanese rpgsand whatnot as a successor to the 3ds and Vita.

wagamer

Hopefully devs stop making games for Xbox?
How many Xbox games has NIS made?

I'm mostly talking about games made exclusively for Sony environment, but on the other hand if the resources are going to be put to either PS4+Switch or PS4+X1 I hope it's the former more often than latter.

Japanese work culture needs to chill a bit. Same with all the cramming for college entrance that starts in 11th grade. Give your young adults some free time to have fun and relax Japan. Make consoles great again.

Poor Xbox. Sitting in the corner, crying

Well, it does make sense. Of course the Xbox One is dead in Japan, and the audience in Europe and Americas probably aren't interested in the games. I think the only exception I've seen is the Attack on Titan game was exclusively PSVita and PS4 in Japan and got those versions along with Xbox and PC in the west, simply because the franchise is very popular over here.

Oregano

I'd assume the multiplatform aspect is not so much about selling more in Japan. It's about selling on Switch in Japan and on PS4 (and maybe PC if they ever catch up) elsewhere.

Also, NIS games should be quite cheap to port using a decent modern development pipeline.

I don't even think it's about selling on Switch in Japan. Disgaea 5 did 23k first week in Japan and somewhere around 50k LTD. If a Switch version sells 25k that's added half of the original sales on top.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I never had a Vita, but there were a lot of niche titles on that system that I would have loved to have played. If the Switch takes the place of the Vita and we see those types of games released for it, I don't think I'd have any complaints about the third party support. Nintendo aggressively targeting Western indies and Japanese niche titles would make for an awesome software lineup.

dracula_x

In terms of GOOD games, last year Vita actually was on par with 3DS. Just few examples – Dragon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, Grand Kingdom, Shiren the Wanderer, Steins;Gate 0, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

absolutely the same can be applied to Nintendo consoles. I mean, if you're not fan of Nintendo games, then "there's basically nothing there for you".

metacriticplatforms204msza.png
NqWz5xG.jpg

This "highest score average" is bullshit and means nothing. When you look just right next to it, 0 great games and 0 good exclusives. Hence why Vita got a better average metascore than PS4 or PC.
The average is obviously biased for popular platforms with a lot of games coming to it, because the spectrum is wider and includes also shovelwares.
These games weren't counted on Vita because they exist elsewhere, better and sometimes cheaper.

In terms of GOOD games, last year Vita actually was on par with 3DS. Just few examples – Dragon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, Grand Kingdom, Shiren the Wanderer, Steins;Gate 0, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

And all of these games were available elsewhere, better. What makes 3DS succeed is exclusives. That's what makes platforms stands: Exclusives.

dracula_x

And all of these games were available elsewhere, better. What makes 3DS succeed is exclusives. That's what makes platforms stands: Exclusives.

Vita is a portable system, if you didn't notice.

btw, Switch won't be much different. Most 3rd party games will be available on other platfroms too.

HeeHo

Gotta say, some of the jRPGs that I'm having the most fun with have been published by NISA,

I did not expect to like Grand Kingdom and Disgaea 5 as much as I did. I'm actually playing Grand Kingdom right now and I remember I purchased Star Ocean 5 over GK and I ended up only paying $20 for GK. Bone headed move but I thought SO5 was going to be a lot better than it was.

Vita is a portable system, if you didn't notice.

btw, Switch won't be much different. Most 3rd party games will be available on other platfroms too.

I did. It doesn't change the point though. As for Switch being not much different, you're right. This is why it'll struggle imo as of now, because of a lack of exciting exclusive. 3rd parties multiplatforms weren't going to make it a success, at all.

Pretty much, and I would go further with that statement. If a Japanese developer is planning on making a Switch game, it makes sense to prepare (at minimum) a PS4 port for the international market, especially considering there's no more dual screens to consider.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This "highest score average" is bullshit and means nothing. When you look just right next to it, 0 great games and 0 good exclusives. Hence why Vita got a better average metascore than PS4 or PC.
The average is obviously biased for popular platforms with a lot of games coming to it, because the spectrum is wider and includes also shovelwares.
These games weren't counted on Vita because they exist elsewhere, better and sometimes cheaper.

Do you really think that?

1)Witcher 3, fallout 4 and so on are all better and cheaper on pc, i guess you don't want them tot be counted on consoles too right?
For some reason this kind of reasoning only applies to vita, never for ps4 that has multis with everything(ps3, vita,xb1,pc, 3ds, wiiu) for example, we'll see if you'll write teh same about switch's multis with ps4.

2)Dragon quest builders, slain and volgarr are as good as on ps4 or close and cheaper.

3)vita had exclusives but weren't counted.

4)what makes platforms stands are exclusives? Wiiu was all exclusives and it's dead because nintendo is focusing on switch and there are no third party games.
Third party games are almost never exclusives, most of them are multiplatform, the number of multiplatform games show you what third parties think of a platform, if developers don't make money on a platform they won't even make multis, let alone exclusives games. Vita lost first party support long time ago but it's still here with many games coming, even exclusives, because third parties gain money with it, yes there aren't big games but vita last day is still far.
Multiplatform games count, way more than you think.

rpmurphy

Hopefully the Switch succeeds as a handheld platform to fill the space where the Vita will leave when it completely dies. The world needs this. I need this. :p

Nintendo should really help the Japanese developers bring their games to western markets if it looks like some games will be skipped over. It could help fill a lot of gaps in their lineup.

Nintendo should really help the Japanese developers bring their games to western markets if it looks like some games will be skipped over. It could help fill a lot of gaps in their lineup.

Honestly? Practically all of the stuff that Xseed, NISA, Aksys, pQube et al pass over is stuff that Nintendo of America will absolutely not touch with a bargepole. The only real problem is Square Enix, and after Bravely Default I think they've learned that there's a market for the traditional style of JRPGs in the West.

Almost everything that comes out on Switch, I will get instead of on PS4. Two reasons why:

1.) Being on gamecards instead on discs.

2.) Portability.

Do you really think that?

1)Witcher 3, fallout 4 and so on are all better and cheaper on pc, i guess you don't want them tot be counted on consoles too right?
For some reason this kind of reasoning only applies to vita, never for ps4 that has multis with everything(ps3, vita,xb1,pc, 3ds, wiiu) for example, we'll see if you'll write teh same about switch's multis with ps4.

2)Dragon quest builders, slain and volgarr are as good as on ps4 or close and cheaper.

3)vita had exclusives but weren't counted.

4)what makes platforms stands are exclusives? Wiiu was all exclusives and it's dead because nintendo is focusing on switch and there are no third party games.
Third party games are almost never exclusives, most of them are multiplatform, the number of multiplatform games show you what third parties think of a platform, if developers don't make money on a platform they won't even make multis, let alone exclusives games. Vita lost first party support long time ago but it's still here with many games coming, even exclusives, because third parties gain money with it, yes there aren't big games but vita last day is still far.
Multiplatform games count, way more than you think.

Yes I do. PC is a different market obviously, because these are different needs, different users.
The closest comparison would be PS4 and Xbox One and why the PS4 is performing much better as it became the de-facto platform to play these games.
But you're right, as for me I don't count these as I can play them better on my PC. What makes a platform stands are the exclusives.

We'll see if I'll write the same for Switch ? Wtf is that ? Some kind of platform loyalty accusation or double standard ? Right, you can actually read my thinking on the matter right now or even before switch event: 3rd party multiplats wont make Switch or Nintendo relevant or a success as these are already on established platforms.

Wii U was all about exclusives.. and yet it's exclusive library was dire and really lacking in term of excitement. No, Wii U didn't failed because it only had exclusives, it failed because it had a really small library of exclusives. Multiplats games count saleswise, but when you come into account thinking of getting a platform, it's a lot of factors that comes into it. And when you try to sell a new platform with games you can already have on a platform, and better on the platform you already own, it's a tough sell.

I get it, there are people who loves their Vita or their Wii U, that's cool. But they also have to realise that these platforms failed saleswise not because they were some kind of underrated special flakes or misunderstood platforms, but because they just had a lack of games and by that I mean good exclusives titles, that'd make people go "Wow, I need this platform to play this game !"

I don't see any way that switch doesn't succeed in japan.

Ps4 suffers from home console stigma and cost of development expectations.

Switch is the only mobile games platform alternative to mobile free to play games.

Maintains ps3 era level fidelity expectations that can manage production cost that many Japanese developers target anyway.

Top Bottom