• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 in Tokyo Dome [OT] The Omega Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the Nakamura v Ibushi match from WK11 and God Damn that was a match and a half. Why isn't Ibushi on this card?

Ibushi's
Tiger Mask W in the opening match
. His future is kinda up in the air at the moment, as he's not yet willing to commit to anywhere, so it's understandable that he's not being more featured.

Since I'm subbing for WK, I might as well ask how does NJPW's normal show schedule work?

Monthly PPV type events?

Are the weekly shows or...?

Hint: he is

He's Tiger Mask and ACH is Tiger Dark

Ibushi's
. His future is kinda up in the air at the moment, as he's not yet willing to commit to anywhere, so it's understandable that he's not being more featured.

It's not yet confirmed that ACH is TtD, but I'd believe it

As for Ibushi, him being Tiger Mask W and being on the card has to be leading to a feud between him and Omega. It has to be. It's too much of an excuse not to absolutely print money.

Since I'm subbing for WK, I might as well ask how does NJPW's normal show schedule work?

Monthly PPV type events?

Are the weekly shows or...?

There's usually 1-2 big PPVs a month, plus a few other smaller shows.

For instance, January will have WK, the smaller New Year's Dash show the next day, the 3 NJPW/CMLL FantasticaMania shows over the weekend of the 20th-22nd and a small 'Road' show on the 27th to set up for next month's PPVs.

Then February will have the two New Beginning PPVs, followed later in the month by the NJPW/ROH Honor Rising shows.

As for Ibushi, him being Tiger Mask W and being on the card has to be leading to a feud between him and Omega. It has to be. It's too much of an excuse not to absolutely print money.

Meltzer said that its ACH and unlike with the first TMW match it should be clear one way or the other.

Khrno

Tiger Mask W vs Omega would not occur, only if it happens on the anime, and that would just make Omega the next top heel, or plot twist, Yellow Devil gets unmasked on the next episode and Omega is the one behind the mask!

But this makes no sense. since Yellow Devil is Super
heel
Cena himself, and Omega was just a scrub in the NJPW world 2 years ago, when the stuff with Yellow Devil happened at the beginning of the anime, and he wouldn't be able to beat anyone from NJPW.

There's usually 1-2 big PPVs a month, plus a few other smaller shows.

For instance, January will have WK, the smaller New Year's Dash show the next day, the 3 NJPW/CMLL FantasticaMania shows over the weekend of the 20th-22nd and a small 'Road' show on the 27th to set up for next month's PPVs.

Then February will have the two New Beginning PPVs, followed later in the month by the NJPW/ROH Honor Rising shows.

Very cool, thanks. Sounds worth $10.

Copy/pasting a reddit post I made a few months ago:

New Japan has several events throughout the year. First off, there are the "Big 4" PPVs, usually headlined by IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches...

Wrestle Kingdom: New Japan's biggest event, their Wrestlemania, held annually on January 4th at the Tokyo Dome.
Invasion Attack, their big Spring event, held annually in the Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall), in late March/early April
DOMINION, New Japan's big Summer event, held in June/July, the last two years it has been held in Osaka-Jo Hall.
King of Pro-Wrestling, New Japan's fall anniversary show in October, also held in Sumo Hall.

New Japan also holds several major tournaments/leagues throughout the year.

New Japan Cup: A single-elimination tournament for New Japan heavyweights who don't hold a championship. The winner gets a choice of a shot at either the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, IWGP Intercontinental Championship, or NEVER Openweight Championship at Invasion Attack.

Best of the Super Juniors: A league tournament for Jr. Heavyweights in April/June, wrestlers are split into two blocks who then face each other, the wrestler from each block with the best record then face off in the final, and the winner (if it isn't the reigning champion) gets a Jr. Heavyweight championship match at DOMINION.

G1 Climax: The same as above, except for Heavyweights, held in July/August. The winner (if it isn't the reigning champion) gets a contract in a Money in the Bank-style briefcase to challenge the IWGP Heavyweight champion in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom. They must then defend the contract as a championship against anyone who defeated them in G1 block play until Wrestle Kingdom.

Super J Cup: A single-elimination tournament for Jr. heavyweights, seldom held but made its return in 2016. Features wrestlers from numerous Japanese promotions and not just NJPW.

Super Jr. Tag Tournament: A single-elimination tournament for Jr. Heavyweight Tag Teams held in November. Winner (if it isn't the reigning champions) get a Jr. Tag Team title match.

World Tag League: Same as the G1/BOSJ but for tag teams, held in December. Winning team (if it isn't the reigning champions) gets a IWGP Tag Championship match at Wrestle Kingdom.

Then, you have the minor events held throughout the year.

The New Beginning: Held in February, split into two events, one held in Osaka and another elsewhere. Each show is headlined by an IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental title match.

Wrestling Hinokuni and Dontaku: Held in late April/early May during Japan's Golden Week (a week of holidays and festivals).

DESTRUCTION: Held in September, usually split into two events but last year it was three. Usually headlined by the Intercontinental and NEVER titles.

Power Struggle: Held in November, usually headlined by an Intercontinental title match.

Then, you've got a wide variety of smaller shows, like New Year Dash (held at Korakuen Hall the day after Wrestle Kingdom), and Fantastica Mania (shows co-produced by NJPW and CMLL in Mexico) as well as tours and house shows leading up to the big events under the "Road To *insert name of event here" moniker. Occasionally these shows are aired on TV Asahi, Samurai TV, or on NJPWWorld.com.

New Japan doesn't have a weekly show except for World Pro-Wrestling (held weekly at 3am on TV-Asahi) which shows highlights of previous NJPW events and interviews with NJPW wrestlers. It airs on AXS.TV in the US with subtitled promos and Jim Ross and Josh Barnett calling the matches.

Hopefully that's concise enough, but I'm sure someone will point out if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

Tiger Mask W vs Omega would not occur, only if it happens on the anime, and that would just make Omega the next top heel, or plot twist, Yellow Devil gets unmasked on the next episode and Omega is the one behind the mask!

But this makes no sense. since Yellow Devil is Super
heel
Cena himself, and Omega was just a scrub in the NJPW world 2 years ago, when the stuff with Yellow Devil happened at the beginning of the anime, and he wouldn't be able to beat anyone from NJPW.

Yes...BUT, Yellow Devil could be a reference to Mega Man as a recurring boss character in that series. And do you know who in wrestling is a huge Mega Man fan?

...NO NOT TJP!

I wanna watch this but I am so damn behind on NJPW. I think I stopped right up before the start of the G1 tourney. Anyone got a quick rundown of the marquee stuff I should catch up on first?

Its almost a shame that there's too much WWE going on right now. Wrestling is not something I tend to watch very intently, more of something I have on the background while gaming or whatever. And between RAW, Smackdown, NXT, and the Cruiserweight Classic/205 Live there just hasn't been time for NJPW.

I wanna watch this but I am so damn behind on NJPW. I think I stopped right up before the start of the G1 tourney. Anyone got a quick rundown of the marquee stuff I should catch up on first?

Its almost a shame that there's too much WWE going on right now. Wrestling is not something I tend to watch very intently, more of something I have on the background while gaming or whatever. And between RAW, Smackdown, NXT, and the Cruiserweight Classic/205 Live there just hasn't been time for NJPW.

Recommendation: Stop watching them every week, especially 205 & NXT. Maybe only watch the go home stuff and post event. There is nothing complex in WWE at all.

I would just pick up NJPW again with WK11 to be honest. There wasn't a ton of stuff post G1 worth going out of your watch, maybe Destruction.

Copy/pasting a reddit post I made a few months ago:

New Japan has several events throughout the year. First off, there are the "Big 4" PPVs, usually headlined by IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches...

Wrestle Kingdom: New Japan's biggest event, their Wrestlemania, held annually on January 4th at the Tokyo Dome.
Invasion Attack, their big Spring event, held annually in the Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall), in late March/early April
DOMINION, New Japan's big Summer event, held in June/July, the last two years it has been held in Osaka-Jo Hall.
King of Pro-Wrestling, New Japan's fall anniversary show in October, also held in Sumo Hall.

New Japan also holds several major tournaments/leagues throughout the year.

!

The way that's worked best for me as I got into NJPW in 2016 was to focus on watching the Big 4 and G1, and then casually pick up the randoms throughout the year pending the card. I say this because I realized, and I may be wrong, is there aren't super long drawn out stories like there are in WWE or TNA. Sure there is stuff with LIJ or Omega, but I find it's way easier to just enjoy the matches as the story is better told in the ring than some promo.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's always hard to comprehend how many things Kenny hurts in this gif.

To be honest the fact that any New Japan wrestlers are able to maintain prolonged careers with as stiff as their matches look baffles me.

Grifter

Ibushi's

Why wouldn't he commit to NJPW? If he turned down WWE, where else would he go?

Grifter

New Japan doesn't have a weekly show except for World Pro-Wrestling (held weekly at 3am on TV-Asahi) which shows highlights of previous NJPW events and interviews with NJPW wrestlers. It airs on AXS.TV in the US with subtitled promos and Jim Ross and Josh Barnett calling the matches.

That's sounds like a bummer for the state of puroresu, esp. since the NJPW heavies have been doing cutting edge stuff. Were they on prime time during the 90's boom?

Recommendation: Stop watching them every week, especially 205 & NXT. Maybe only watch the go home stuff and post event. There is nothing complex in WWE at all.

This! I went back to wrestling last year and found that the NJPW show and Lucha Underground were way more compelling. I've since scaled down to just the NJPW show just due to time.

DDT baby. I would wrestle a sex doll for a ton of money too.

His sex doll bumps looked even more crippling than his NJPW work!

Question about NJPW, are most of the events done with English commentary these days or is it still abit hit and miss?

Tempted to finally pull the trigger on.

Heroman

Banned
Question about NJPW, are most of the events done with English commentary these days or is it still abit hit and miss?

Only the big show have English commentary but that might change this year. Also the Japanese commentary is the best.

This year only the biggest shows like WK, the last days of the G1, and King of Pro Wrestling got English commentary. Supposedly in 2017 most of the PPV level shows will have it. Unless NJPWorld grows enormously they won't have it for the house shows.

English commentary can only improve in 2017 if Corino starts working with WWE.

Corino isn't amazing or anything but I'd be willing to bet we miss him in six months or so. Who is RoH / New Japan going to replace him with?

MG310

This year only the biggest shows like WK, the last days of the G1, and King of Pro Wrestling got English commentary. Supposedly in 2017 most of the PPV level shows will have it. Unless NJPWorld grows enormously they won't have it for the house shows.

Corino isn't amazing or anything but I'd be willing to bet we miss him in six months or so. Who is RoH / New Japan going to replace him with?

He's fine as long as he's not calling a Cole or Young Bucks match. I hope the alternative isn't Matt Striker who is equally insurfferable during Bucks matches.

Jamie OD

Why wouldn't he commit to NJPW? If he turned down WWE, where else would he go?

Ibushi marches to the beat of his own drum. Problem is that beat is completely random to us. He didn't like the schedule for doing both New Japan and DDT. He also wants freedom to do whatever he wants which NJPW probably wouldn't allow but DDT did. But he's done everything in DDT so he had to move on from them. It's working out so far, see him calling out WWE's bluff for the CWC for example. WWE wanted him but only if he signed with them. Ibushi refused and WWE eventually relented.

Mafro

I am seriously considered signing up to NJPW World and watching this live.
I'll be doing this tomorrow, just bought a Chromecast last week so I'll be able to watch it easily on my TV too. I'm in the UK so it's on at 8am here and I'm off work which is nice.

Watched WK 9 and 10 over the past few days in preparation.

Big Pro-Wrestling festival kicks off in just under 2 hours on NJPW World, not sure what exact time the matches will be on, but this is what's on offer;

oV6bRIy.jpg

bCmV6Is.jpg

2Vw56Xb.jpg

Looking forward to Oka finally making his proper debut. Henare vs Nakanishi should be fun as well, Henare's been impressing me a lot. Markedly improved in the short time he's been at the dojo.

Big Pro-Wrestling festival kicks off in just under 2 hours on NJPW World, not sure what exact time the matches will be on, but this is what's on offer;

oV6bRIy.jpg

bCmV6Is.jpg

2Vw56Xb.jpg

Looking forward to Oka finally making his proper debut. Henare vs Nakanishi should be fun as well, Henare's been impressing me a lot. Markedly improved in the short time he's been at the dojo.

I know Kanemitsu is injured but do they have an ETA on his return?

Jashobeam

after watching that shitshow Raw I think I might totally skip it from now on and make my mondays njpw day, still watching smackdown and nxt tho.

edit: 24 hours to go, watching G1 Climax 25 Finals, then watching G1 Climax 26 Finals, gotta rewatch Naito vs Omega again for sure.

What are the rest of you guys doing in preparation? I'm gonna plan out what snacks to get lol.

Also whats the best way to watch njpwworld on TV? I was thinking of using PS4 web browser or connecting laptop to tv. My sister has chromecast, would that work better?

janoDX

Also whats the best way to watch njpwworld on TV? I was thinking of using PS4 web browser or connecting laptop to tv. My sister has chromecast, would that work better?

Chromecast.

Also tomorrow I'll prepare by watching WK10 in it's entirety.

Chromecast is the only way to get NJPW on the TV as far as I'm aware other than connecting your laptop to your tv. Console web browsers don't work and there isn't an official app.

All 3 matches from the Big Pro-Wrestling Festival were pretty fun - Oka's got some way to go, but he's obviously got the mat-wrestling side of things down (being an Olympic wrestler and all). I was impressed by Henare, he's a lot more experienced than the other young lions, but has markedly improved since he joined the dojo - Nakanishi continues to be in a good vein of form. Also, Kawato did well in the tag match, he's looking pretty cut and was fired up. No sign of Kanemitsu though, not sure if he's injured, but he hasn't wrestled since November.

Jashobeam

Watching the festival thingy and the promos between the 4 teams going for the NEVER Openweight 6-man tag championships. Kinda wish the Gaijins would take things a little more seriously. I get that the audience doesn't understand them anyways so who gives a fuck but still, seems so unprofessional when they can't even pronounce Los Ingobernables lol.

also Cody Rhodes looks like a mega star over there, like his new theme, hopefully he delivers in his 1st New Japan match.

All 3 matches from the Big Pro-Wrestling Festival were pretty fun - Oka's got some way to go, but he's obviously got the mat-wrestling side of things down (being an Olympic wrestler and all). I was impressed by Henare, he's a lot more experienced than the other young lions, but has markedly improved since he joined the dojo - Nakanishi continues to be in a good vein of form. Also, Kawato did well in the tag match, he's looking pretty cut and was fired up. No sign of Kanemitsu though, not sure if he's injured, but he hasn't wrestled since November.

He had a spinal injury IIRC and was pulled from the World Tag League tour.

Hex

Banned
Did they cancel Juice vs Cody?

Edit: That was mean. I hope Cody has a breakthrough performance tonight, because he hasn't really been good since leaving WWE

There is always a chance that Juice will show up with shorter hair and some actual facial hair along with some kind of personality.
RIght?
Right...?
It will be the battle of the bland.

There is always a chance that Juice will show up with shorter hair and some actual facial hair along with some kind of personality.
RIght?
Right...?
It will be the battle of the bland.

I'm not the biggest fan of him but Juice has been putting in work over there. Definitely a lot better since he debuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom