• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

PtM

Banned
criterionhelaf.png

slQOCki.png

Source: https://twitter.com/crashedalex/status/613384655367241728

+++

Have some context about the someone else's IP vs. NFS thing:
Ghost Games taking NFS over from Criterion
What about Criterion?

---

NoE likely on behalf of NCL, mind you.
Confirmed by Criterion's Alex Ward. This was in 2011, when they were working on NFS Most Wanted (U <3).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._u_f-zero_created_by_burnout_studio_criterion

Shoutouts to What do you think the chances are for an F zero game for the Wii U?

Yeah, heard this myself a couple months back. Essentially their demands for an E3 demo were waaaaaay too time-constrained, and obviously Most Wanted shot down any plans. Not that EA would have necessarily approved anyway.

It all sounded a bit pie-in-the-sky on Nintendo's behalf, but it's nice to know they were at one point still thinking about the series.

Mostly unrelated, just coincidential timing:
223qVox.png

Nintendo....

http://instagram.com/p/4RQTzrTLRB: F-Zero on the cover of Retro Gamer

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh, what might have been :/

Yeah, heard this myself a couple months back. Essentially their demands for an E3 demo were waaaaaay too time-constrained, and obviously Most Wanted shot down any plans. Not that EA would have necessarily approved anyway.

It all sounded a bit pie-in-the-sky on Nintendo's behalf, but it's nice to know they were at one point still thinking about the series.

Sendou

So... They will ask again? Right?

I think that ship has sailed. Since then two Criterion's co-founders have left the studio, they have cut the number of staff members and we have even heard comments about them not working on racing games anymore.

A fucking Need For Speed game over F-Zero?

EA has owned them since 2004. Probably wanted to prioritize their own IP over Nintendo's.

MicH

WHAT

This story fills me with sadness, BUT it gives me hope as Nintendo are/were still considering making a new F-Zero game!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Double whammy of sadness.

We have no F-Zero game on WiiU and Criterion is a shell of its former glory.

FUCK.

So... They will ask again? Right?

Current Criterion is tiny and too busy making Extreme Sports: The Game.

The rest of em became Ghost Games and are too busy making Need For Speed

Nintendo is too busy making Metroid Prime: 3DS Shootbang Nobody Asked For This Edition

F-Zero has no home.

Jackano

NoE? Doesn't makes sense. Sounds like maybe an NoE guy had a discussion with them in some context but it's not like NoE have any power to decide on that kind of thing.
Even NoA got his software dev decisions blown by Iwata.

ps3ud0

I dont get why Nintendo didnt just pick up Studio Liverpool when Sony got rid of them. They would have done F-Zero justice IMO

I cant see how Criterion would have been able to assist, though I guess EA at the time was still going to support the Wii U.

ps3ud0 8)

just wait for the E3 2016 announcement : f-zero : bounty hunter adventures, a totally cool spinoff with platforming and FPS elements, also 4 player roller hockey minigame
captain falcon will even make an appearance, and there will be a mission with black shadow

223qVox.png

Nintendo....
what in the flying fuck

LordCiego

Well, at least it means they try sometimes to reach some western developers.

They have to try to do it more because if they dont we end in a situation like the one we have now, and its only going to be worst in the Future with the NX.

Platinum can only work on so many games Nintendo.

spanks

F-Zero, Road Rash vs Burnout... Stop breaking my heart, Criterion!

Seriously though, what an uncharacteristically smart idea from Nintendo. Maybe they can get Alex & Fiona's new studio on it?

Top Bottom