• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

Darryl

Banned
Lmao I can already visualize the "F-Zero U announced (F2P)" thread. Would be comedic gold.

Personally trust Nintendo enough with DLC to not be outraged at the onset. Although it would be hilarious. The "oh fuxk no I'm not buying amiibos".

Nanashrew

Banned
This really sucks. It's rare that Nintendo actually went to a western publisher and developer studio when they almost never do. Not to mention that Nintendo operates in seeking talents. Nintendo going to them for collaborative and IP sharing efforts means that Nintendo thought you and your studio are the best at what you do and they trust you in making a great game with their IP.

I hope they seek out Sumo Digital though because they are great as well and I believe they could nail F-Zero.

After Mario Kart 8 (and it's obviously capable engine), i doubt they'd even need an external partner any more.
I think pretty much everything about Mario Kart 8 lends itself to a new F-Zero coming eventually - the only argument being whether the F-Zero fan-service within is just a bone, or a real taste of things to come.

Terrell

Yay, the other big Nintendo franchise that's "dead" isn't actually dead.
My surprise level is at 0. I'm happy for the people that legit believed it was never coming back, though.

Zubz

Banned
I'm actually really impressed that Nintendo was considering a new F-Zero at all. A Criterion collaboration would have been awful, and it's pretty disappointing to hear that it fell through. Part of me hopes that they've been working with a new company to have something ready for the NX launch, but at this point, I'd bet good money that the NX's big launch titles will be some combination of an up-ported Zelda U, a small-but-serviceable Metroid, a new Mario, and/or an up-ported version of an already-released Wii U game (My money's on "Super Smash Bros. for NX" as the strongest contender).

If they do anything like that, F-Zero's going to just get lost in the storm. But then again, the Wii U/every iteration of the DS had a weak launch, so maybe F-Zero'll just be up against Nintendo Land 2 and'll actually do really well for a new system? I can only hope it'll sell, at least; I feel dirty for not helping with GX's sinfully-low sales.

And of course, I'm in the camp that thinks Sumo should be working on it.

GenG3000

Glad it didn't happen. F-ZERO needs to be made by Japanese who know about arcade finesse.

EAD 1 should be the one doing it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
lol. They were literally the first studio I thought of for this (although Criterion of old would have been nice). I hope Nintendo is paying attention.

For those talking about Sega.
Amusement Vision, the Sega division that handled F-Zero GX, as well as the good Super Monkey Ball games and a bunch of other nice games, is now defunct, so unfortunately Nintendo would have no reason to go back to Sega for a sequel.

Well, I mean, sort of. They got folded into Sega and given a different name (New Entertainment Research & Development, aka Team Yakuza). They also gained a few developers from Smilebit and sent a few developers to Smilebit (under Smilebit's new post-reintegration name, Sports Research & Development).

Here's a flowchart I made of Sega's internal development team movements and naming schemes:

qAFMBrS.jpg

criterionhelaf.png

slQOCki.png

Source: https://twitter.com/crashedalex/status/613384655367241728

+++

Have some context about the someone else's IP vs. NFS thing:
Criterion Takes Over Entire Need For Speed Series

---

NoE likely on behalf of NCL, mind you.
Confirmed by Criterion's Alex Ward. This was in 2011, when they were working on NFS Most Wanted (U <3).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._u_f-zero_created_by_burnout_studio_criterion

Shoutouts to What do you think the chances are for an F zero game for the Wii U?

Mostly unrelated, just coincidential timing:

http://instagram.com/p/4RQTzrTLRB: F-Zero on the cover of Retro Gamer
Ward did leave EA because being relegated to work on handmedowns fucking sucks.

Zubz

Banned
Glad it didn't happen. F-ZERO needs to be made by Japanese who know about arcade finesse.

EAD 1 should be the one doing it.

I dunno. It seems pretty narrow-minded to think that, especially because, as far as racing games go, Western companies like Criterion and Sumo have been pretty fantastic, "arcade finesse" or not.

Plus, AV crushed it with GX; if I trust any Japanese company with the IP, it's SEGA, at this point. No offense to Nintendo, I just felt that GX was fantastic.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Your chart is missing the staff merging from United Game Artists into Sonic Team. But I've still saved this for later.

I tried to focus on the core Sega teams. I didn't include others Sega purchased like Creative Assembly, for example. But I'll keep that in mind.

I'm glad my chart is useful enough for you to save! You may notice that I have no link between DD1 and AM3, even though it would make sense ... I haven't yet found anything saying definitively that DD1 turned into AM3, though.

kinn

The main man Nagoshi (sorry if I've butcher the name) is still at Sega. Wasn't he the main creative force behind F-zero gx? I remember reading his column in Edge. Such a cool dude.

Isn't he like the only one left from the "old guard" Sega days? He still has clout to deside what games to make right? Or is even he locked down to making only Yakuza games?

Top Bottom