• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

Ridley327

It did seem weird that they had worked out co-development deals with Activision (Sing Party) and WB Games (LEGO City Undercover) and helped Ubisoft out with ZombiU and Rayman Legends at kind of the forefront of the early hardcore gamer appeal push, but EA was seemingly left to their own devices. Now, we know that there was something pretty significant in the works.

The question is should we have known, when it was something as tantalizing as this?

NotLiquid

It's interesting how F-Zero as a mainline series is the one that seems to get outsourced the most. Maybe it has to do with how Miyamoto said that if he'd be making one he wouldn't do one unless he had an actual new idea for it. Perhaps that's why they choose to outsource it to developers like Amusement Vision (and in this case would-be Criterion) because they'd have a more fresh take on it.

I'd like to think this explains why there was an F-Zero game of all things in Nintendo Land. Maybe they were banking hard on the Criterion deal to go through and maybe F-Zero was actually on the cards during the Wii U. At least this gives me a little more hope that F-Zero will be the franchise that sees a "revival" on the next console (similarly to how it was Metroid for the GC, Punch-Out for the Wii and Star Fox for Wii U).

Ridley327

Criterion is part of EA.. they are not independent..

so it should be EA who turned Nintendo down.. not Criterion..

ohh 2011... EA didn´t own them back then..

Criterion has been owned by EA since 2004. That's actually a big part of the reason why their very popular middleware engine wound up being abandoned.

Hanmik

Criterion has been owned by EA since 2004. That's actually a big part of the reason why their very popular middleware engine wound up being abandoned.

yeah.. I read the internet wrong.. read 2014 instead.. sorry..

but that makes the whole story seems strange.. It must have been EA who turned them down then .. Criterion should have nothing to say in this matter then.

shiyrley

Banned
223qVox.png

Nintendo....
I honestly expect this to just be a tease for F-Zero X in the N64 virtual console. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

JDSN

Banned
If they are gonna give studios the same $30 of budget they gave to PG to do Star Fox id rather have nothing.

I mean, how serious were they really if they didn't approach other devs? Why not go to Bugbear or Sega (does the same team who made F-Zero GX still exist?) or Sumo Digital or Codemasters or Playground or Lucid instead of/as well as Criterion? I mean, there's always the chance that they did, but the fact that a new F-Zero game isn't happening suggests to me they didn't push very hard for it, if they can't find even one developer who was able to take the project on.

NotLiquid

I mean, how serious were they really if they didn't approach other devs? Why not go to Bugbear or Sega (does the same team who made F-Zero GX still exist?) or Sumo Digital or Codemasters or Playground or Lucid instead of/as well as Criterion? I mean, there's always the chance that they did, but the fact that a new F-Zero game isn't happening suggests to me they didn't push very hard for it, if they can't find even one developer who was able to take the project on.

Amusement Vision (GX development team) doesn't exist anymore. I might be wrong but I think the team merged back into Sega and became the leading dev team for the Yakuza series.

Ridley327

After the restructure Sega did about a decade ago, Amusement Vision ceased to exist and Nagoshi was promoted to being a general manager of development, where he's been the steward for the Yakuza series since. I don't know how much of the staff is still at Sega besides Nagoshi, but given where Sega's at these days, I doubt they're in a position to reshuffle again if requested.

RMI

Banned
After seeing Fast Racing Neo on the tree house stream I kinda don't care about there not being an F-Zero coming to WiiU.

DrArchon

As sad as this is, I'm glad to see someone at Nintendo was at least thinking about a new F-Zero game. Makes me a bit more hopeful about the series future.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
damn!
this at least mean that the series isn't totally dead for Nintendo, but on the other side it's sad they were looking to outsource completely, and too bad seeing Nintendo charm being so weakened that a third party refuse to make one of their IP shine again.

Jethro

Today is the Post E3 Event at NoE in Frankfurt. Somebody should ask around about this issue, although we already know there will be no answers.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know, Criterion's good people, but surely we can agree that there's better developers out there for F-Zero, no?

NotLiquid

Give it to Sumo. They did a great job with that Sonic kart game.

Sumo were already preoccupied with Sonic Racing Transformed during Wii U's lead-up, and after that were hard at work on LBP3 as well as a "genre-defining triple A game" for current-gen consoles.

Sendou

Pretty much any independent racing studio makes more sense than asking a mega publisher.

Not sure what's the problem with asking. If they wanted a F-Zero game it would make sense for them to ask for several pitches from different companies if they felt like they weren't up to it themselves. They might have and they might also have rejected all of them for all we know. The number of games pitched to Nintendo every year must be pretty impressive. Not all of them even make it past the initial gate that is NoE and NoA.

Colombo

I loved the Burnout series and always had a great respect and admiration for Alex Ward and Criterion. I would have loved to see what they could have done with F-Zero, so it's really sad to see it had a chance of actually happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not sure what's the problem with asking. If they wanted a F-Zero game it would make sense for them to ask for several pitches from different companies if they felt like they weren't up to it themselves. They might have and they might also have rejected all of them for all we know. The number of games pitched to Nintendo every year must be pretty impressive. Not all of them even make it past the initial gate that is NoE and NoA.
Sure, but it's like asking Treyarch to make Metroid.

You know the answer before you start.

Criterion has always had games with a fantastic sense of speed, would have been interesting if they got the chance to get f zero fast

I have Fast Racing Neo to look forward to. I'll be ok

That's almost exactly a wipeout game, which is nothing like f zero

just wait for the E3 2016 announcement : f-zero : bounty hunter adventures, a totally cool spinoff with platforming and FPS elements, also 4 player roller hockey minigame
captain falcon will even make an appearance, and there will be a mission with black shadow

And you're a giant demanding baby if you dare to criticize it

A megapublisher is not gonna stop developing one of their IP's so they can give one of their internal studios to create an F-Zero, which outside of the initial deal, they are unlikely to see any money (and a possinble potential damage to their own IP)

Sendou

Sure, but it's like asking Treyarch to make Metroid.

You know the answer before you start.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that there's a lot we don't know about what went behind the scenes with EA and Nintendo and the "unprecedented partnership". We probably never will fully know. So maybe in that light it made complete sense? Worth noting that after Most Wanted Criterion pretty much stopped making Need for Speed and moved onto a new IP. It's not going to be a guaranteed seller. The least F-Zero would have been is guaranteed revenue.

A megapublisher is not gonna stop developing one of their IP's so they can give one of their internal studios to create an F-Zero, which outside of the initial deal, they are unlikely to see any money (and a possinble potential damage to their own IP)

But the choice was not between Need for Speed and F-Zero. The choice was between a new IP and potentially F-Zero (guaranteed revenue like I said above). Ghost Games was formed in 2011. Back then EA had a pretty good idea where to develop the future of their racing IP.

EDIT: Actually nevermind most of my post. Misread the article a bit. If I'm reading this correctly they would have created a pitch while working on Most Wanted and then perhaps continue onto making a full game after Most Wanted was done? Still think it was good for them to ask for a pitch at least. I hope Nintendo doesn't think the next entry for F-Zero from the viewpoint of "who's available" rather than "who would be suitable".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Pretty much any independent racing studio makes more sense than asking a mega publisher.

I still think that giving Shin'en a small development EAD supervisor's groupd would be the smartest idea. An art director, a Lead programmer, a Supervisor, and probably within the next 18 months we'd have a proper Fzero on Wii U (too bad the Wii U will not be on the market anymore LOL )

PetrCobra

One thing I don't understand is that all the people here seem to believe that once turned down by Criterion, Nintendo never asked another developer to make the game. I mean, they clearly wanted it to be made, right?

So, I'm not sure how bigger companies handle it, but I highly doubt Nintendo can just go to any developer and ask 'Hey, can you spend the next 3-4 months to work on a F-Zero pitch that we might totally reject?' and expect developers to jump on that. I know I wouldn't.

If Nintendo pays for the pitch, then why pay for multiple pitches from different developers? That's probably super goddamn costly right from the start and I doubt publishers want to become pregnant with a product before they even know if it'll be any good.

Top Bottom