• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLG job posting: unreal + ARM = NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

I's a boring morning.
Let's have fun together in front of our tv monitor.

https://twitter.com/GamingBrown/status/775247852968747008
CsI7cWEWAAAvokQ.jpg

Jackano

Now you've done it.

Job postings, linkedin accounts, etc... are much more viable sources for pieces of intel than so-called "leakers" with unknown sources IMO.
It's closer to the actual things going on inside the studios. I found it more legit to discuss than Eurogamer articles.

Something interesting I noticed on http://www.nintendo.com:

If you click the circle "4" where the sliding images are, you'll see a version of the "There's no PLAY like it" slogan, but with a traditional (notably, not split) D-Pad in place of the ABXY buttons. People were arguing that the presence of the ABXY buttons in the new marketing mean that ABXY buttons will be around for NX; does this mean that the D-Pad will remain not split, by that same token?

Or that new slogan/marketing was an unilateral move from the US teams who don't knew anything at least at that time regarding NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I find it sad and funny that people think that UE4 support on NX is unlikely. Literally the only way it won't have support is if it's an overclocked Wii U, but sure, let's act like it's a silly thing to expect it.

In reality though this does nothing to support the rumors. No matter what GPU is in NX, ARM is almost a 100% guarantee. x86 is completely ruled out. Though, a lot of people here don't really understand ARM and still think that it's inherently much slower than x86 and that porting between the two is a major task.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
PBR? Man Metroid Prime 4 is gonna look super real now.

For real though, I bet Fed Force was a practice run to get them ready to make an actual Prime title

I find it sad and funny that people think that UE4 support on NX is unlikely. Literally the only way it won't have support is if it's an overclocked Wii U, but sure, let's act like it's a silly thing to expect it.

In reality though this does nothing to support the rumors. No matter what GPU is in NX, ARM is almost a 100% guarantee. x86 is completely ruled out. Though, a lot of people here don't really understand ARM and still think that it's inherently much slower than x86 and that porting between the two is a major task.

It's as much about power as it is about interest, but yeah the NX should support modern shader techniques at the very least, even if it won't push as many polygons and stuff. And frankly, 360-era polycounts wouldn't bother me much at all if it had modern shaders and current-gen(ish) tier lighting.

Is the Kevin Pereira/Gamestop thing worth its own thread?

It's presumably something new even if not NX.
Yes I think so. If he said he's rehearsing for something Nintendo related at GameStop Expo it's definitely for something.

For betteror for worse, though, Nintendo presence does not only mean NX.

True. But what is this GameStop Expo exactly? Has Nintendo had their presence there before?

EVH

This is what Nintendo is doing at GameStop Expo.

- YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits & Fleshy Souls (3DS) – Embark on an all-new adventure in Springdale with more than 350 new and returning Yo-kai to discover and befriend—each with a unique look, personality, and Soultimate Move.
- Mario Party Star Rush (3DS) – Think fast and have a blast with a variety of ways to party with Mario™, Toad™, and more, on-the-go or on the couch!
- Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U) – A mystery's afoot on Prism Island and only Mario™ can solve it—by restoring the land's vanishing colors with his new Paint Hammer.
- Disney Magical World 2 (3DS) – Live your dream life on an adventure with beloved Disney characters.
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS) – Travel to the past to save the present as you restore forgotten lands and battle an unknown evil in this classic DRAGON QUEST adventure completely rebuilt from the ground up for the Nintendo 3DS system.

But honestly, with so many journos going on holiday this week, and then this being a perfect time to show them the NX without need to fly to japan, I can believe they have some room there to let them try it.

And then before TGS unveiling of NX and right after that, they let u try it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PBR? Man Metroid Prime 4 is gonna look super real now.

For real though, I bet Fed Force was a practice run to get them ready to make an actual Prime title
Next Prime from NLG to look accordingly : ]

EVH

Next Prime from NLG to look accordingly : ]

How is this relevant about Prime and NLG? Am I missing something?

Honestly, I think NLG does not have the chance to do a Metroid Prime as good as the Retro ones, which sucks a lot, but let's be real, they are not that good as a developer.

blu

How is this relevant about Prime and NLG? Am I missing something?
You missed a joke.

Honestly, I think NLG does not have the chance to do a Metroid Prime as good as the Retro ones, which sucks a lot, but let's be real, they are not that good as a developer.
I fully disagree with you there. NLG are fully capable of matching Retro WRT a full-blown Prime.

Malus

Not sure if this is thread worthy, so I'll post it here:

Kevin Periera (host of Attack of the Show and the recent Nintendo World Championships) tweeted:

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack
Anaheim. Nintendo. GameStop. Let's get cozy.

For those that don't know, the Gamestop Expo starts this Wednesday.

If you look at his SnapChat (AttackSnap), in one of his story snaps he quickly turns the phone camera away from a television screen, saying "you weren't suppose to see that". He also mentions in another snap that he is rehearsing for something Nintendo-related at the expo.

Woke up in the middle of the night and checked the internet to see this. It must be a sign.

People obviously asking on twitter if it's NX related, and he hasn't thrown the wet blanket on the fire yet.

True, but that it's something "we weren't supposed to see" is a very interesting tease.

Here are some screens from that snapchat, but IMO it doesn't look NX related.

https://imgur.com/a/FdH4d

I don't see how you can tell what that is. Let the NX hype burn until its crushed before we know it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IIRC, isn't Gamestop manager's conference at the Expo where OsirisBlack broke the PSNeo news last year?

ggx2ac

This is what I was looking for.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=213233283

Mpl90 said:
Ok, I found that Gamestop Manager's Conference is between 10th and 15th, while the Expo is on 14th. Does anyone know what's the actual date for the conference event itself, when stuff gets talked about and there can be announcements (like the NES 3DS Special Edition / Persona Q 3DS Special Edition 2 years ago)?

http://meeting.gamestop.com/US_Conf/Conf_agenda.htm

Eradicate said:
Nintendo stuff 8-9 AM on Tuesday, September 13. No idea if this is what you were talking about though! I'll look into the expo though and see if anything turns up!

foppy79

Not sure if this is thread worthy, so I'll post it here:

Kevin Periera (host of Attack of the Show and the recent Nintendo World Championships) tweeted:

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack
Anaheim. Nintendo. GameStop. Let's get cozy.

For those that don't know, the Gamestop Expo starts this Wednesday.

If you look at his SnapChat (AttackSnap), in one of his story snaps he quickly turns the phone camera away from a television screen, saying "you weren't suppose to see that". He also mentions in another snap that he is rehearsing for something Nintendo-related at the expo.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

please I'm desperate

Genio88

Lets face it, a September reveal is becoming pretty unlikely now, it's TGS time already and i don't think they'll announce it out from no where, i think they want to have a good event with press and everything, after all Reggie said they have to announce NX explaining what it is better than they did with the previous console, i think we'll hear about the NX announcement fairly in advance, perhaps October is the month, perhaps early next year, after all an announcement about 3 months before the console release wouldn't be that weird

Malus

Lets face it, a September reveal is becoming pretty unlikely now, it's TGS time already and i don't think they'll announce it out from no where, i think they want to have a good event with press and everything, after all Reggie said they have to announce NX explaining what it is better than they did with the previous console, i think we'll hear about the NX announcement fairly in advance, perhaps October is the month, perhaps early next year, after all an announcement about 3 months before the console release wouldn't be that weird

I ain't facing shiiiiiiiet.

Let's get the NX ROLLING.

Or whatever. My head hurts and I can't sleep :(

Hermii

Woke up in the middle of the night and checked the internet to see this. It must be a sign.

People obviously asking on twitter if it's NX related, and he hasn't thrown the wet blanket on the fire yet.

True, but that it's something "we weren't supposed to see" is a very interesting tease.

I don't see how you can tell what that is. Let the NX hype burn until its crushed before we know it.

When he says its Nintendo releated, and something were not supposed to see he must have known what the Internet would assume. So either he is trolling us, or its the NX.

But honestly, with so many journos going on holiday this week, and then this being a perfect time to show them the NX without need to fly to japan, I can believe they have some room there to let them try it.

I know Jose from IGN and Andre (that's his name right?) from GameXplain both said they were going on vacation. Is there anyone else that we know of?

Believe it or not, there are people who still don't believe a word of the Eurogamer rumor and are convinced it's an AMD x86 chip, and this little tidbit helps backup at least the ARM part of Eurogamer's rumor.

So it's not meaningless.

Oh ok, so nobody really well known? Don't think it would be too strange if he was just to present some soon to be launched titles to retail executives.

He's fairly well known in US geek/gamer culture. Attack of the Show ran for like a decade.

blu

An actual bit of 100% valid info re ARM and Unreal PBR -based development by NLG does nothing to support the rumors of TX1 and Unreal on the NX devkits?

Oregano

An actual bit of 100% valid info re ARM and Unreal PBR -based development by NLG does nothing to support the rumors of TX1 and Unreal on the NX devkits?

Isn't the more interesting part(if it's for NX) that Unreal Engine is being used for a Nintendo first part game. That would be pretty big for Epic and something of a change for Nintendo.

Isn't the more interesting part(if it's for NX) that Unreal Engine is being used for a Nintendo first part game. That would be pretty big for Epic and something of a change for Nintendo.
Well, UE3 was supported for Wii U. Nintendo's previous console just didn't have official support for the most current revision on the market.

Nintendo's previous portable didn't have any Unreal support at all AFAIK, though.

Oregano

Well, UE3 was supported for Wii U. Nintendo previous console just didn't have official support for the most current revision on the market.

Nintendo's previous portable didn't have any Unreal support at all AFAIK, though.

Nintendo has never used an external engine though AFAIK, even with their western or external developers.

I think Ubisoft used their branch of Unreal Engine 2 on the 3DS(for Splinter Cell).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Does it actually support Tegra X1, though, or can it be something else?

blu

UE3 got quite some wins on the wiiU around launch (Batman, Mass Effect, etc) but a second-party nintendo studio doing Unreal would be more than a trivial win. Of course it's not clear whether it's actually UE4 that NLG will ship with, or something that just uses UE4's material system.

Does it actually support Tegra X1, though, or can it be something else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgp-qLV8_3U

AntMurda

Federation Force is Nintendo's fault, not theirs. They just made what they were asked to make.

Who's to blame for the unbalanced level design that most people are complaining about? Personally I think the game is okay, but the criticism from many reviewers are about the level design and balance which falls mainly on NLG.

LordRaptor

Wasn't the bird tech demo for wiiu supposedly made by epic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom