• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLG job posting: unreal + ARM = NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
PBR? Man Metroid Prime 4 is gonna look super real now.

For real though, I bet Fed Force was a practice run to get them ready to make an actual Prime title

It's as much about power as it is about interest, but yeah the NX should support modern shader techniques at the very least, even if it won't push as many polygons and stuff. And frankly, 360-era polycounts wouldn't bother me much at all if it had modern shaders and current-gen(ish) tier lighting.

With engine support, it really isn't all that much about power. There are phones whis are weaker than Wii U, but support UE4 because they have the modern tech needed to be able to do so. I also don't see any reason why Epic would refuse to support UE4 on NX. That would just be saying "no" to money for reason. With a modern Nvidia GPU, UE4 is the best fit for NX, unlike with Wii U where its ancient GPU had a featureset more in-line with UE3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here are some screens from that snapchat, but IMO it doesn't look NX related.

https://imgur.com/a/FdH4d

Does Master Chopper rings a bell for anyone?

Watching the video on SnapChat, it seems to be a live-action show with "Score 1,000" on the top right corner of the screen and a "You've unlocked Master Chopper!". Also, a + 1,000 around the left bottom corner appears.

There is something right at the beginning of the video, a yellow bar. Can't catch it, though. I suppose we need that frame.

What the heck is going on

Lutherian

Watching the video on SnapChat, it seems to be a live-action show with "Score 1,000" on the top right corner of the screen and a "You've unlocked Master Chopper!". Also, a + 1,000 around the left bottom corner appears.

There is something right at the beginning of the video, a yellow bar. Can't catch it, though. I suppose we need that frame.

Makes me think of Project H.A.M.M.E.R. 'cause of the dude with a big hammer.

Here's another still from the snapchat that I found on reddit:

yqO7S1X.png

Honestly it looks a lot like Sandor Clegane from Game of Thrones, so if you say it looks like a live-action show then maybe they're making a Game of Thrones mock trailer?

I recall a scene from this past season where he does a lot of chopping, so I think this makes the most sense. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Nintendo.

Edit: Yeah this looks very much like they took a scene from Game of Thrones and overlaid some scores and achievements to make fun of modern gaming. Seems like a silly video they're planning to use for who knows what.

Oregano

Wasn't the bird tech demo for wiiu supposedly made by epic?

Don't think so, that was just speculation based on a tweet.

Honestly it looks a lot like Sandor Clegane from Game of Thrones, so if you say it looks like a live-action show then maybe they're making a Game of Thrones mock trailer?

I recall a scene from this past season where he does a lot of chopping, so I think this makes the most sense. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Nintendo.

Omfg Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are making a Game of Thrones game based on Fire Emblem!

Joking but it's and weirdly good fit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
UE3 got quite some wins on the wiiU around launch (Batman, Mass Effect, etc) but a second-party nintendo studio doing Unreal would be more than a trivial win. Of course it's not clear whether it's actually UE4 that NLG will ship with, or something that just uses UE4's material system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgp-qLV8_3U

The video is fine and all, but what I was asking was does it HAVE to be an X1 if ARM is involved? What about a Pascal-based custom chip like NateDrake is confident about?

Omfg Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are making a Game of Thrones game based on Fire Emblem!

Joking but it's and weirdly good fit.

That would indeed be awesome but don't expect anything Nintendo related at all from that video. I really doubt it has to do with Nintendo.

His snapchat overall likely does have to do with Nintendo, and maybe NX (we can hope) but that particular video on the screen is very likely just an unrelated unreleased trailer or something, probably just a mock trailer for something at the expo.

ggx2ac

The video is fine and all, but what I was asking was does it HAVE to be an X1 if ARM is involved? What about a Pascal-based custom chip like NateDrake is confident about?

ARM is the CPU architecture, it doesn't affect the GPU of the X1 or Parker(Pascal-Based) in anyway. (A weird way of putting it)
It supports that a Tegra device is being used for NX because Tegra uses ARM CPUs and is supported by Unreal Engine 4.

The other side of this is that supposedly the GPU could be a DMP M3000 but looking at the vague press release for that, it's only feature mentioned is that it can do deferred shading 'like' Unreal Engine 4 as an example. I didn't find anything in it about Physically Based Rendering. (PBR)

MuchoMalo

Banned

I don't think he's saying that it has to be the X1. It would need to be Pascal-based to be as powerful as the one used for that demo anyway.

So there is something Nintendo related coming with Kevin since he said he's rehearsing for something. The rehearsing part is key. What's he rehearsing for?

And the snapchat he did probably wasn't related to what he's doing with Nintendo?

thefro

So there is something Nintendo related coming with Kevin since he said he's rehearsing for something. The rehearsing part is key. What's he rehearsing for?

And the snapchat he did probably wasn't related to what he's doing with Nintendo?

Looking at his twitter, he hosted whatever Nintendo did in 2015 at the Gamestop conference as well.

So he may just be doing that again.

ggx2ac

I uploaded that Kevin Pereira Snap to youtube

https://youtu.be/32LyRLUli4g

I'll probably delete it later. Doesn't seem NX related to me. Like some kind of ad if I were to guess.

That is most definitely Sandor Clegane from this past season of Game of Thrones. Thanks for uploading it!

Yes, this video seemingly has nothing to do with Nintendo. Nothing to see here.

Edit: Although I'm hearing NES Zelda music in the background... Might not be from the screen he's showing in the video though, who knows.

Edit: Yeah this looks very much like they took a scene from Game of Thrones and overlaid some scores and achievements to make fun of modern gaming. Seems like a silly video they're planning to use for who knows what.

This looks like what Mega64 would do. Historically, collaborations between Mega64 and Nintendo are used for E3 announcement. For reference, here are the videos for E32014 and E32015.

So, what does it mean? I would say it is an announcement video for Nintendo Space World 2016 dedicated to NX.

Edit:
Believe

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I uploaded that Kevin Pereira Snap to youtube

https://youtu.be/32LyRLUli4g

I'll probably delete it later. Doesn't seem NX related to me. Like some kind of ad if I were to guess.

Now that I notice it, at the beginning there's also a "Press __ to start". But what is to press is unclear. I mean, at a first glance, it totally looks like one of the Wii/Wii U + - buttons (I mean, it's a round button at least, just like + and - are round buttons).

This looks like what Mega64 would do. Historically, collaborations between Mega64 and Nintendo are used for E3 announcement. For reference, here are the videos for E32014 and E32015.

So, what does it mean? I would say it is an announcement video for Nintendo Space World 2016 dedicated to NX.

Would Nintendo (or Mega64 on behalf of Nintendo) use a video of a guy chopping off someone else's head in an announcement video? I kinda doubt that, but who knows.

Edit:
Okay, I am almost positive that this is a silly video which uses Game of Thrones footage to "mock" current gaming trends like achievements, or "press A to win" and it's likely just a little joke video for the Gamestop conference or some event happening there. I really don't think it has to do with Nintendo, specifically because of a guy being beheaded and because using licensed footage from an HBO show doesn't seem like something Nintendo would want to do.

Back to NLG speculation!

ggx2ac

That is most definitely Sandor Clegane from this past season of Game of Thrones. Thanks for uploading it!

Yes, this video seemingly has nothing to do with Nintendo. Nothing to see here.

Edit: Although I'm hearing NES Zelda music in the background... Might not be from the screen he's showing in the video though, who knows.

Maybe it's related to Zelda BotW because Link can chop trees?

Someone else speculated it could be a Mega64 video.

Then of course Kevin tags the photo with, Nintendo, Anaheim, etc for that GameStop expo/conference...

It could be a lot of nothing. Like an ad for Zelda but not for NX lol

MuchoMalo

Banned
We're going to know if there's anything involving NX this week withing the hour, so there's not much point in speculating on that.

Would Nintendo (or Mega64 on behalf of Nintendo) use a video of a guy chopping off someone else's head in an announcement video? I kinda doubt that, but who knows.

I typed the reply before watching the actual video. Now that I watched the video. Looks a bit gore... (I haven't watched GOT)

No. Nintendo won't allow something like this. But I am intrigued to know what this is.

There's Zelda music? I didn't catch it. Hopefully whatever it is we'll find out today or tomorrow. If it's some promo Mega64 type of video with Kevin to announce the NX reveal date would be the best scenario.

Now that I notice it, at the beginning there's also a "Press __ to start". But what is to press is unclear. I mean, at a first glance, it totally looks like one of the Wii/Wii U + - buttons (I mean, it's a round button at least, just like + and - are round buttons).

I think it's actually "Press __ to chop" and that yellow bar is some kind of power meter.

Hard to make anything out with the quality lol

There's Zelda music? I didn't catch it. Hopefully whatever it is we'll find out today or tomorrow. If it's some promo Mega64 type of video with Kevin to announce the NX reveal date would be the best scenario.

Don't expect it to be anything related to Nintendo. There is live action beheading, and Game of Thrones footage which Nintendo would likely have had to pay for (they don't like doing that).

Hermii

Not reaching, not at all, the NX reveal is basically confirmed at this point.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
These threads should be banned until the NX is actually revealed.

I want to see it as much as the next fan but these threads are getting sad and ridiculous.

DrWong

I want to see it as much as the next fan but these threads are getting sad and ridiculous.
Oh! The usual "kill dem all nx threads!" post. You're the other face of the coin :]

Why should they be banned? There is a topic here. Nobody should be hurt by people having a discussion.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why should they be banned? There is a topic here. Nobody should be hurt by people having a discussion.

Because there's nothing to discuss unless rampant and wild speculation counts? Soon people will whip themselves into a frenzy believing a reveal is coming in the next hour.

ckfy63a

We're going to know if there's anything involving NX this week withing the hour, so there's not much point in speculating on that.

You seem to be ruling out the possibility of a reveal within the hour more or less this time tomorrow. Considering Nintendo usually makes announcements for Directs on Tuesday, any particular reason why?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I think you understood wrongly the TOS. You don't have to read all the threads.

yeah lol. the other got closed yesterday and the next day they find a new one to shit up with endless drivel and pointless speculation based on no evidence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
yeah lol. the other got closed yesterday and the next day they find a new one to shit up with endless drivel and pointless speculation based on no evidence.

Complaining about a thread's existence is not the best thing to do either. No matter how right you think you are.

Jackano

By the way, was Bill Trinen always a ducks supporter? (Tweet from a day ago.)

https://twitter.com/trintran/status/774861194091954176
Yes. Which ducks, idk. Maybe he's a fan of Ser Rolly Duckfield too.

That Kevin Pereira thing is a non-sense regarding this topic. Looks like a trailer for the gamestop event with a lot of things mixed together.
All I can imagine Nintendo-related stuff out there are the NES mini, the new Zelda amiibos, maybe some Pokémon stuff.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Within the hour? Due to what?

Because now is around when Direct- and event-related announcements are made by Nintendo.

You seem to be ruling out the possibility of a reveal within the hour more or less this time tomorrow. Considering Nintendo usually makes announcements for Directs on Tuesday, any particular reason why?

Because then the Direct would have to be on Thursday or Friday, and that's not happening due to TGS. Besides, the only reason to show something this week is so that Japanese third-parties can show games at TGS, and if Nintendo can't make pre-TGS there's no reason to bother. They'd rather wait until later in the month than to rush it. I suppose that they could announce an event tomorrow, but said event would come 1.5-3 weeks later.

What happened to the last thread? Why was it locked?

I assume it's because mods got tired of the OT stuff and people kept asking for it to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom