• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLG job posting: unreal + ARM = NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

Yes. Which ducks, idk. Maybe he's a fan of Ser Rolly Duckfield too.

That Kevin Pereira thing is a non-sense regarding this topic. Looks like a trailer for the gamestop event with a lot of things mixed together.
All I can imagine Nintendo-related stuff out there are the NES mini, the new Zelda amiibos, maybe some Pokémon stuff.

I made a mistake don't worry about it. He's mentioned ducks before, it's just to do with Oregon Ducks, a football team. Nothing to do with Anaheim Ducks.

The Kevin Pereira stuff might be nothing too but he did tag the photo with Nintendo, Anaheim and GameStop for some reason.

Because then the Direct would have to be on Thursday or Friday, and that's not happening due to TGS.

Why wouldn't they announce a Direct that they plan on having the next day? Didn't the last 3DS Direct go like that?

I do find the fact that NoA hasn't made a single tweet today interesting, though.

I made a mistake don't worry about it. He's mentioned ducks before, it's just to do with Oregon Ducks, a football team. Nothing to do with Anaheim Ducks.

The Kevin Pereira stuff might be nothing too but he did tag the photo with Nintendo, Anaheim and GameStop for some reason.

I think at most the GameStop thing would be concurrent with a legit announcement in the form of a direct or something.I can't see actual "news" coming from that, but who knows!

Also, Kevin Pereira is really hot. Carry on.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why wouldn't they announce a Direct that they plan on having the next day? Didn't the last 3DS Direct go like that?

I do find the fact that NoA hasn't made a single tweet today interesting, though.

3DS Direct was announced on Tuesday, then happened on Wednesday. Besides that, I think that Nintendo would want more lead time. And the reason they haven't tweeted is that their doors have just opened for the day. Last Monday they didn't tweet at all even.

I wonder if this thread is a good place to explain why ARM is obviously happening, even if the rumors are wrong and AMD is involved.

It doesn't have to be a Direct though. Like I've said they could do a NX reveal announcement with Mega64 and those aren't locked to "well that means it would reveal a day or two later".

This is their next gen system. All bets should be off when it comes to what guidelines they usually follow for Directs in the past. They could announce a Mega64 video tomorrow, for example, and say NX reveal is September 22. They could announce a Nintendo Direct tomorrow and it could say "catch us for the reveal of Nintendo NX on September 22".

ggx2ac

3DS Direct was announced on Tuesday, then happened on Wednesday. Besides that, I think that Nintendo would want more lead time. And the reason they haven't tweeted is that their doors have just opened for the day,

I wonder if this thread is a good place to explain why ARM is obviously happening, even if the rumors are wrong and AMD is involved.

Is AMD still releasing the ARM K12? I tried looking that up and could only find old news from 2015 that it was coming out in 2017.

Edit: Although if I'm not mistaken, that is supposed to be the successor to a Server CPU.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With engine support, it really isn't all that much about power. There are phones whis are weaker than Wii U, but support UE4 because they have the modern tech needed to be able to do so. I also don't see any reason why Epic would refuse to support UE4 on NX. That would just be saying "no" to money for reason. With a modern Nvidia GPU, UE4 is the best fit for NX, unlike with Wii U where its ancient GPU had a featureset more in-line with UE3.

Hah, I made a typo in my post, I had first written "It isn't as much about power" but revised it and screwed it up. I agree with you on that power isn't the main contributor, but rather interest in the platform. But yeah, with a GPU that has modern capabilities it's just a matter of devs scaling the games down, rather than having to do a bunch of work on the engine to make it work on the hardware. I hope we get some PBR goodness on the NX, it's probably one of my favourite additions this gen, PBR and lighting have come a long way.

Retrobox

3DS Direct was announced on Tuesday, then happened on Wednesday. Besides that, I think that Nintendo would want more lead time. And the reason they haven't tweeted is that their doors have just opened for the day. Last Monday they didn't tweet at all even.

Well, why don't you explain to me why ARM is obviously happening and whether that's a good or bad thing?

KingBroly

Banned
I need an NX thread gif using Obi Wan from Star Wars: A New Hope. I feel like there's something there about 'you can strike me down but I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.'

Oregano

After it was pointed out Kevin Pereira presented for Nintendo last year it probably means it's nothing big, maybe SNES edition 3DS announcement at most. Probably should have been spun off to its own thread to avoid this becoming Generic NX thread #67.

As to the original topic does anyone have the quote from investor meetings about being more in tune with the technology everyone else uses?(or something along those lines)

MuchoMalo

Banned
Is AMD still releasing the ARM K12? I tried looking that up and could only find old news from 2015 that it was coming out in 2017.

Edit: Although if I'm not mistaken, that is supposed to be the successor to a Server CPU.

K12 has nothing to with it. One of the three announced design wins is using an ARM CPU. If those three wins ended up being PS4 Pro, Xbone Scorpio, and NX, it would mean that NX would have to be ARM. I've pointed this out to the AMD guys multiple times, but it just gets ignored because their delusions of a PS4 clone with more power and a gimmick must live on.

Hah, I made a typo in my post, I had first written "It isn't as much about power" but revised it and screwed it up. I agree with you on that power isn't the main contributor, but rather interest in the platform. But yeah, with a GPU that has modern capabilities it's just a matter of devs scaling the games down, rather than having to do a bunch of work on the engine to make it work on the hardware. I hope we get some PBR goodness on the NX, it's probably one of my favourite additions this gen, PBR and lighting have come a long way.

We're talking about the engine here, not games. There's no reason whatsoever to believe that NX won't receive official UE4 support from Epic if the hardware has the featureset necessary to run it. Actually getting games and using those features well is another story. PBR would be limited by performance as well.

Nintendo has never used an external engine though AFAIK, even with their western or external developers.

I think Ubisoft used their branch of Unreal Engine 2 on the 3DS(for Splinter Cell).

Going back to this point from eariler:

From what we are hearing about Tegra, Unreal Engine 4 should run very well on it because it can take full advantage of FP16. Tegra's architecture allows it to do 2x the FP16 calculations compared to FP32 (XB1/PS4 doesn't even support FP16 in hardware). It would be funny that Nintendo and Unreal ends up to be that much in sync after all of things that has happened in the past.

Oregano

From what we are hearing about Tegra, Unreal Engine 4 should run very well on it because it can take full advantage of FP16. Tegra's architecture allows it to do 2x the FP16 calculations compared to FP32 (XB1/PS4 doesn't even support FP16 in hardware). It would be funny that Nintendo and Unreal ends up to be that much in sync after all of things that has happened in the past.

That's one of the positives of working with Nvidia I guess. They have a strong relationship with Epic and Unreal Engine has been used more than once to show off Tetra.

I wonder if Nintendo will try to leverage Nvidia's relationships in other ways too. It'd be a good idea to try and get the games that Nvidia ported to the Shield(Doom 3, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Rising, etc.).

It'd be a good idea to try and get the games that Nvidia ported to the Shield([...] Metal Gear Rising, etc.).

On Nintendo? My brain would explode, in a good way.

If we got a Metal Gear Solid V TPP port however, my hype would grow large enough to be considered its own galaxy.

Eolz

That's one of the positives of working with Nvidia I guess. They have a strong relationship with Epic and Unreal Engine has been used more than once to show off Tetra.

I wonder if Nintendo will try to leverage Nvidia's relationships in other ways too. It'd be a good idea to try and get the games that Nvidia ported to the Shield(Doom 3, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Rising, etc.).

With Nintendo costumes in each version? ;)

It doesn't have to be a Direct though. Like I've said they could do a NX reveal announcement with Mega64 and those aren't locked to "well that means it would reveal a day or two later".

This is their next gen system. All bets should be off when it comes to what guidelines they usually follow for Directs in the past. They could announce a Mega64 video tomorrow, for example, and say NX reveal is September 22. They could announce a Nintendo Direct tomorrow and it could say "catch us for the reveal of Nintendo NX on September 22".

Am I missing something, but why mega64? It's not the first time I read this.

Well, we're past 10. I guess that's it for NX news today.
Yep. Everybody set your alarm clocks for tomorrow. Lol :)

Am I missing something, but why mega64? It's not the first time I read this.

It's because Nintendo has worked with them twice to make the announcement videos for Nintendos E3 2014 and 2015-they were great. I could see Nintendo working with them again to make a Nintendo NX reveal announcement date video.

Well, we're past 10. I guess that's it for NX news today.

Yeah, but on September 12, 2005 Nintendo tweeted about it's event at TGS at 11AM EST. So there is still hope.

Kiddin', but that's the type of logic I see here quite often and I love it. Personally, I feel like the Lotta Hart of NX rumors...

maxcriden

Yeah, but on September 12, 2005 Nintendo tweeted about it's event at TGS at 11AM EST. So there is still hope.

Kiddin', but that's the type of logic I see here quite often and I love it. Personally, I feel like the Lotta Hart of NX rumors...

Rösti;216663289 said:
Nintendo of America's September 12 business day has barely begun though. And the Super Mario Run announcement showed that press releases can go out on https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/index.html regardless of time.

Ah, sorry, to clarify, my post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I guess that didn't come across too successfully. I nearly wrote "this year" rather than "today." Thank you for the clarification regardless of my thud of a quip, though.

Oh ok, thank you for the answer!

My pleasure!

This is one of those things that many people will discount, but UE4 games should run pretty similarly to XB1 or PS4 versions simply due to the FP16 computation. It's not secret sauce, it's different types of optimization.

Either way this has me excited and expecting a lot of great Japanese support. DQXI will be mind blowing on NX. And yes, it would be very interesting to see Nintendo first parties (and "second" parties like NLG) using UE4 for games.

Ah, sorry, to clarify, my post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I guess that didn't come across too successfully. I nearly wrote "this year" rather than "today." Thank you for the clarification regardless of my thud of a quip, though.

Hahaha, no I understood. This is such a roller coaster ride - I love it.

Vena

Remember when Monster Games was working on a racing game on Unreal Engine or so ?
Me too.

Monster Games is a poor example. They aren't and never were self-proclaimed exclusive studio (which would imply NLG got under contract of some sort, you don't just come and say "we're only working with X" unless you have a future-proofed security as to that fact). Monster was an asset studio for, effectively, ever. NLG was a third party studio until, post-Dark Moon, they became an exclusive studio. NLG hasn't been out-right acquired but they are probably as close as one can be to that state without outright getting bought up which, in this day and market, isn't surprising. Its expensive to buy an entire studio and maintain it, its not expensive to contract one out for years at a time and drop them if they become a burden.

Also considering the circumstances and information provided here (as well as the rumors on their having a major console project and a minor one (FF, obviously)), then Occam's Razor here is obvious and neither you nor Oregano need to jump through hoops to claim it isn't what it most likely is and means.

That or you can sit here and tell me that they have obviously moved to mobile development because that's the only other place where any of these needed skills would be relevant. Because they most certainly aren't going ARM optimization on PS4/X1/PC.

Rösti;216663289 said:
Nintendo of America's September 12 business day has barely begun though. And the Super Mario Run announcement showed that press releases can go out on https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/index.html regardless of time.

Eh... never say never, but when was the last time they put out a significant PR after 10AM Eastern, absent news from an investor briefing or an external event like E3/Apple?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well, why don't you explain to me why ARM is obviously happening and whether that's a good or bad thing?

I explained in my previous post why it would be ARM even if it's AMD. As for good or bad, it'd say that it's neutral. Being x86 would make porting from other other consoles and PC a little bit more straightforward, but the difference isn't really a big issue since, unlike the IBM processors of Wii U and last-gen, ARM is ubiquitous and the majority of developers have worked with it. Engine support is very good as well. An ARM CPU can't match faster x86 cores like Skylake and Zen, but it can match or even beat the Jagar in current consoles. It's also a lot more power efficient, which Nintendo loves, and it allows Nintendo to easily use one architecture for everything. They can match current console CPUs in a portable, and for a split platform with a semi-shared library they'd be able to easily share the same CPU cores in all form factors. There's not really a notable downside to speak of unless Nintendo wants to put out a Scorpio killer. ARM is the best choice for all of the proposed scenarios on what NX could be,

Anth0ny

Not sure if this is thread worthy, so I'll post it here:

Kevin Periera (host of Attack of the Show and the recent Nintendo World Championships) tweeted:

Kevin Pereira
14h14 hours ago
Kevin Pereira ‏@Attack
Anaheim. Nintendo. GameStop. Let's get cozy.

For those that don't know, the Gamestop Expo starts this Wednesday.

If you look at his SnapChat (AttackSnap), in one of his story snaps he quickly turns the phone camera away from a television screen, saying "you weren't suppose to see that". He also mentions in another snap that he is rehearsing for something Nintendo-related at the expo.

lets do this.

Genio88

Realistically guys, what do we expect? Nintendo to announce this console with a few days of warning in advance? They know they have to present it right to the customers, unlike they did with WiiU, I guess that the reveal event will be something big, with press and everything, something which would take a few weeks of preparation, so the best we could get today/tomorrow etc would be a announcement for this event next month or even later. That's my opinion though, of course I hope that they'll just reveal everything in a Direct today already

Realistically guys, what do we expect? Nintendo to announce this console with a few days of warning in advance? They know they have to present it right to the customers, unlike they did with WiiU, I guess that the reveal event will be something big, with press and everything, something which would take a few weeks of preparation, so the best we could get today/tomorrow etc would be a announcement for this event next month or even later. That's my opinion though, of course I hope that they'll just reveal everything in a Direct today already

Announcement of the announcement, if anything, is what we're expecting.

Odds are decent we'll hear of the Direct tomorrow and it'll air on Wednesday or Thursday.

Most Directs have that three-day window; announce no earlier than Tuesday, air no later than Thursday. Like 75% of them it seems are like that IIRC.

Nzyme32

Why is this so shocking? Seems to constantly be a thing here with any "well known" engine.

ARM was suspecting for a long time and most engines are excellent using ARM including Unity and Unreal on everything from iOS to Android / Linux and more

MuchoMalo

Banned
Odds are decent we'll hear of the Direct tomorrow and it'll air on Wednesday or Thursday.

Most Directs have that three-day window; announce no earlier than Tuesday, air no later than Thursday. Like 75% of them it seems are like that IIRC.

Wednesday has Pokemon info, and Thursday is the start iof TGS. Nothing is happening this week.

cacildo

People are getting desperate

Nintendo refuses to release NX news. Sony and Ms try their best, but everything in the videogame market just sounds depressing

If someone creates another "Games that made you cry" thread on Neogaf its the sign that people will explode at any moment

ckfy63a

Ironically, what you've described in bold "something big, with press and everything, something which would take a few weeks of preparation" is precisely what Nintendo tried to do with its not 1, but 2, failed Wii U E3 reveals. If they have truly learnt their lesson and now believe the Wii U's reveal was part of its damning, then I'd expect a short turnaround between announcement and reveal, if anything.

Wednesday has Pokemon info, and Thursday is the start iof TGS. Nothing is happening this week.

I think it's worth pointing out that TPC launched Pokémon Black and White Versions on March 6, 2011, in North America, not three weeks before the North American launch of the Nintendo 3DS. Moves like this should illustrate the fact that Nintendo and Pokemon make their announcements / releases (mostly) independent of each other. I mean, Pokemon is going to be getting weekly-ish updates until November 22nd at this rate, and I doubt the announcement of the NX reveal is happening after that.

duvjones

Banned
Believe it or not, there are people who still don't believe a word of the Eurogamer rumor and are convinced it's an AMD x86 chip, and this little tidbit helps backup at least the ARM part of Eurogamer's rumor.

So it's not meaningless.
I never really questioned Nintendo looking and using an ARM-based chip. My question is why Nvidia's?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Multiple Directs have been announced in afternoon time EST.

Not saying it will happen, but come on.

ethomaz

Banned
Tegra uses ARM.

I never really questioned Nintendo looking and using an ARM-based chip. My question is why Nvidia's?
Best perf/watt tech for GPUs in the market... best mobile GPU.

There is nothing close to Tegra Patker for the form factor Nintendo wants to use in NX.

Multiple Directs have been announced in afternoon time EST.

Not saying it will happen, but come on.

The past few haven't, even ones that were in the early evening EST. Seems like all the ones for the last year and a half have been announced at 8AM, 9AM, or 10AM EST.

duvjones

Banned
According to SemiAccurate, because nVidia's Tegra team was desperate to get a console design win and sold the chips to Nintendo for cheap.
Given that it is likely that Nintendo isn't looking at a home console at the moment with the NX. That only ads to the question, especially when you consider that one of the Tegra's biggest failing in the market is controlling the chip series' power draw on a mobile devices. It's why don't seem Tegra in cell-phones and tablets much anymore, most companies have looked else where when they are concerned with battery life and Nintendo isn't all that different with it's portables.

Running to nVidia for the worst ARM-chip on the market doesn't make much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom