• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

...uhhh ohhhh...

My fear about the repetitive man line missions is becoming greater and greater here as I play. Purple? Do the Grind....Green? Do the same grind to bring that boss out....Yellow? More Grinding, in the exact same way....Orange mission? Guess...what? Some more grind.

I hope the main story missions can make up for this trend thats starting to pop up here, but perhaps this had a bit to do with the lack of review copies.
wellthereitis.gif

Dang. I was hoping they wouldn't lock away story missions behind any sort of grinding. Is it fun at least or tolerable like Mad Max grinding?

Wait, story missions are locked behind grinding?

Ugh. That shit was awful in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Can't imagine it here.

...uhhh ohhhh...

My fear about the repetitive man line missions is becoming greater and greater here as I play. Purple? Do the Grind....Green? Do the same grind to bring that boss out....Yellow? More Grinding, in the exact same way....Orange mission? Guess...what? Some more grind.

I hope the main story missions can make up for this trend thats starting to pop up here, but perhaps this had a bit to do with the lack of review copies.

Don't worry put another six hours in and it gets less repetitive.

Looks like I'm skipping this.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
...uhhh ohhhh...

Okay...so basically, it's like every other open world game? Mad Max, AC, FC, MGSV, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, etc.....seriously, every open world game is exactly the same.

And in general, every game is repetitive. The question is - are you enjoying what you're doing to keep doing it over and over?

SJRB

Gold Member
...uhhh ohhhh...

I was kinda worried this would happen. That preview video they released was very clear on the whole mechanic of "grind missions until boss unlocks" stuff. I was hoping they'd at least make it interesting but apparantly not so much.

Very unfortunate.

Get fucked, Hangar 13. Get proper fucked. Locking a PC game to 30fps in 2016 is absolutely unacceptable. What a load of incompetent trash.

I was looking forward to playing this this weekend, but not anymore. So absolutely pathetic.

L O freaking L

I've played enough of the PC version tonight to confidently say that this will be on my top 10 this year for sure. Looking forward to upping the framerate but the game is totally playable and smooth at it's current capped state. I'm sooooo glad that I'm not in game development so I don't have to read endless trash posts like this about something that I've put my heart and soul into.

Pathetic all right.

Wait, wait, wait.

We need to clarify something here, I'm confused.

Joe is saying you have to grind for main content right? Not that you have to grind for side content? Because former would be horseshit, the latter would be alright.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait, wait, wait.

We need to clarify something here, I'm confused.

Joe is saying you have to grind for main content right? Not that you have to grind for side content? Because former would be horseshit, the latter would be alright.

The basic premise of the game revolves around taking over territories from the other gangs so you expand your power and influence over the city. You basically do that by starting rackets and damaging the other gangs properties until you hit a certain treshhold, after which the boss of that territory "unlocks". you fight him, you win, you take over the territory.

And it seems that every territory has the same objectives, all the time.

Freeman76

Okay...so basically, it's like every other open world game? Mad Max, AC, FC, MGSV, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, etc.....seriously, every open world game is exactly the same.

And in general, every game is repetitive. The question is - are you enjoying what you're doing to keep doing it over and over?

What a ridiculous concept. Have you even played any of the games you listed, becaise this post is flat out wrong.

Sojgat

Not really.

And Mafia 2 was certainly nothing like that.

The basic premise of the game revolves around taking over territories from the other gangs so you expand your power and influence over the city. You basically do that by starting rackets and damaging the other gangs properties until you hit a certain treshhold, after which the boss of that territory "unlocks". you fight him, you win, you take over the territory.

Ugh, I knew that you did that. I didn't think that was going to be the driver for the entirety of the plot.

So like that pink or purple area with all the sleazy sex stuff, you're always going to be doing stuff like destroying stag flicks? Lame.

I really had problems with MGSV and FO4, but grinding wasn't one of them. They had a lot of shitty filler, but I don't remember being forced to do really much, if any of it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
More than 50% of the user reviews on the Steam is negative, probably because of the 30 FPS lock, but it`s not a surprise. Why do developers to this to themself?

harz-marz

L O freaking L

I've played enough of the PC version tonight to confidently say that this will be on my top 10 this year for sure. Looking forward to upping the framerate but the game is totally playable and smooth at it's current capped state. I'm sooooo glad that I'm not in game development so I don't have to read endless trash posts like this about something that I've put my heart and soul into.

Pathetic all right.

Great that you are enjoying it. But when you compare a port like this to one like GOW 4, PC gamers have a right to be peeved. Why spend £1000+ for a console level of performance?

Freeman76

More than 50% of the user reviews on the Steam is negative, probably because of the 30 FPS lock, but it`s not a surprise. Why do developers to this to themself?

I reckon this game will be divisive. The OT kinda reminds of The Division OT, a bit too much gushing after 45 minutes saying its the best shooting/driving/melee in the genre etc, those same people will be putting the game down in a few hours due to being bored of the mission structure or something.

GAF is really bad for blowing shit right out of proportion, probably even more so than STEAM, everything is either 'super amazing' or worse shit ever, very few users are inbetween that.

Damn shame to hear about this modern game design garbage they've added to this series. Mafia 2s story mode was fine. Could have just followed up on that and threw in some basic side missions. That's it.

Not constant grinding to unlock the next story mission :(

Great that you are enjoying it. But when you compare a port like this to one like GOW 4, PC gamers have a right to be peeved. Why spend £1000+ for a console level of performance?

Do you feel that telling a developer to "get proper fucked" because they decide to release a game in a universally stable state rather than gamble on day one PC inconsistencies and instant bad-press is justified? Especially when these same inconsistencies, iin this day and age of hyperbole and instant refund paranoia, can lead lead to huge lost revenue?

They are addressing the concerns in a very timely manner and the game is more than acceptable in its current state. End. of. Story.

Watching Joe, the grind definitely seems like it's coming more to the forefront. It'll be interesting to see what he thinks a few more hours in.
Do you feel that telling a developer to "get rightly fucked" because they decide to release a game in a universally stable state rather than gamble on day one PC inconsistencies and instant bad-press is justified? Especially when these same inconsistencies, iin this day and age of hyperbole and instant refund paranoia, can lead lead to huge lost revenue?

They are addressing the concerns in a very timely manner and the game is more than acceptable in its current state. End. of. Story.
Timing is the typical issue with this kind of thing. If they had just been forthcoming about the game being locked and a patch coming later, say a week ago, or a few days ago, this wouldn't be a problem. As usual, it seems like they tried to slide it in until someone said something.

harz-marz

Do you feel that telling a developer to "get proper fucked" because they decide to release a game in a universally stable state rather than gamble on day one PC inconsistencies and instant bad-press is justified? Especially when these same inconsistencies, iin this day and age of hyperbole and instant refund paranoia, can lead lead to huge lost revenue?

Appreciate your opinion but I disagree. How was GOW able to launch in a stable state with all the options and optimisations it has?

When someone spends money on a fundamentally broken or limited game, they have a right to be annoyed.

I remember one of the major complaints about Mafia 2 was that there was nothing to do other than the main story missions and some Playboy poster collectibles. If what you guys are saying about the grinding is true, seems like they may have thrown in as many filler missions / side activities as they could to overcompensate.

spekkeh

Banned
Appreciate your opinion but I disagree. How was GOW able to launch in a stable state with all the options and optimisations it has?

When someone spends money on a fundamentally broken or limited game, they have a right to be annoyed.
Yes then they have a right to be annoyed.

When can we expect reviews from most major gaming outlets?

I'll probably start my review-in-progress tomorrow.

Nah. The prostitution racket doesn't feel like the union racket for instance. Honestly, the whole territory system feels a lot like Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I was fine with it there and there's more mission variety here. And I'm the kind of guy that's methodical about clearing open-world territory.

Perhaps it'll get worse, but I'm probably.... 10+ hours in?

This is a pretty good game. Definitely some jank here and there and the IQ is soft, but combat and stealth feel good, driving is good on simulation, and the story presentation is top notch.

diamount

Banned
I remember one of the major complaints about Mafia 2 was that there was nothing to do other than the main story missions and some Playboy poster collectibles. If what you guys are saying about the grinding is true, seems like they may have thrown in as many filler missions / side activities as they could to overcompensate.

As long as they remain optional - fine by me. So many games have gated the main story missions by requiring you complete a number of side crap first.

Freeman76

This is why people should never blindly buy a product without knowing if it is going to be what they want. As a consumer, you have control over what you buy and what you are prepared to risk, it falls on you to know your own boundaries and make informed purchases. A game being released with no reviews is a sure sign the devs/publishers have little confidence in their title. That is fair warning for me to wait and see how things pan out, not just blindly buy it because a few random internet people get it early and say how super cool it is after 15 mins of playing it.

If one of your main concerns is that a game is capable of 60FPS on your PC, do your research to make sure the game can reach your expectations before buying it, rather than just buying it anyway assuming something. I do understand that many games arent locked to 30FPS and it as annoying etc, but you could have saved yourself the money really instead of becoming enfuriated and telling people they can fuck themselves, which isnt helping your situation whatsoever. Lesson learned, never blindly buy a game that has had review copies withheld unless you 100% trust the devs who made it.

Shari

Nah. The prostitution racket doesn't feel like the union racket for instance. Honestly, the whole territory system feels a lot like Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I was fine with it there and there's more mission variety here. And I'm the kind of guy that's methodical about clearing open-world territory.

Perhaps it'll get worse, but I'm probably.... 10+ hours in?

This is a pretty good game. Definitely some jank here and there and the IQ is soft, but combat and stealth feel good, driving is good on simulation, and the story presentation is top notch.

Im also the clearing all type and I was concerned about mission variety. I've also liked that aspect of syndicate and I was hoping this would be at least just as good.

Thanks for the impressions.

ekim

What are the impressions on the city design? Is it good?is there a weather system in place and most importantly: is there snow?

AHA-Lambda

...uhhh ohhhh...

So you have to grind to unlock main missions? Like in Mad Max?

Nah, fuck that noise, that's like cardinal sin level of game design for me.

psychotron

...uhhh ohhhh...

Oh boy. I'm ok with grinding if it's fun enough to do until you progress the main story. If it gets really old and it starts seeming like a means to an end.....welp.

How is the framerate while driving? Every video I've seen has looked choppy as hell, but I've seen people say it's alright.

Okay, so I'm 8 hours in on the PC version. I'm having a lot of fun - the gameplay reminds me a lot of Far Cry where you get take over strongpoints with different enemy types at your own pace and in your own style, with room to get creative with approaches, vehicles and weapons.

The stealth mechanics don't feel all that different from something like Far Cry or Watch Dogs - shallow but serviceable and not as immersion-breaking as the gameplay footage made it out to be.

The combat is great, mostly thanks to the feel of the weapons and animations. However, I don't like the very sticky cover system... it's too finicky to move from cover to cover fluidly. Even though the mechanics should allow you do to so on paper, it's hit and miss in actual combat. Having said that, fights are never boring and can be quite challenging when you get overwhelmed.

The framerate lock is baffling but not a huge issue for me - after playing around with the mouse sensitivity (playing without auto-aim) I feel the game controls smoothly and consistently. I still want my higher framerates though. :(

I love the design of the city, it's very varied and smartly laid out with lots of detail. The nighttime can look amazing. However the graphics become very blurry out at a small distance which is especially noticeable in bright sunlight. Not only doesn't it look as crisp as in the trailer footage, the blurriness actually hinders gameplay when you're trying to engage in firefights at a distance - doable but it strains the eyes. Please give me some proper options to tweak this stuff!

Besides muddy graphics, my other issues are:
- Why the hell can't I switch takedowns from lethal to non-lethal on the fly? It's ridiculous to hide that option three menus deep.
- Either I missed something or there's a bug that won't let me pick up grenades. Haven't been able to get a single one off the ground since the tutorial (the icon floats above the pick-up but it's just crossed out.)

The best stuff so far:
- The story and dialogue, in combination with the acting (both animation and voice-wise), is stellar. Damn, it's been such a long time since I played a game with a narrative that feels like it was written by grown-ups and doesn't sound like a third-rate television series. There's a lot of depth poured into the world and the characters and while not all of it is touched on directly but you 'feel' it enough to make the whole story come alive.
- The period music. Fuck yeah.

There really isn't one, since reviewers didn't receive copies pre-launch. I would expect most outlets to have their reviews up early next week.

Damn. Was hoping to get it digitally to play this weekend. But if impressions about its samey gameplay are anything to go by I think I'll wait for reviews.

Carlius

Banned
well i bough tit even though i said i woudlnt...at 1440 the image looks crisp and the 30fps sucks but its not that bad....the voice acting is great i think and loved the first hour so far...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So you have to grind to unlock main missions? Like in Mad Max?

Nah, fuck that noise, that's like cardinal sin level of game design for me.

Yeah that sounds awful, I always skip filler content as it bores me. Having to grind for 2 hours to continue the story is just madness to me.

Yeah that sounds awful, I always skip filler content as it bores me. Having to grind for 2 hours to continue the story is just madness to me.

I understand the criticism here but let's keep it real.

You don't have to grind THAT much - getting to the next story mission takes 2-3 activities and you can choose which ones to do, some are over in a few minutes.

Those poor devs. It's not like they waited until they had everyone's money before admitting that their PC port was sub-par, right? Oh....

Humdinger

is there a weather system in place and most importantly: is there snow?

In New Orleans? Doubt it.

I'm waffling on whether to pick the game up today. I was sold on the basis of story, driving, characters, music, and setting. I'm put off by the comments about repetitive mission structure, though. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

In New Orleans? Doubt it.

I'm waffling on whether to pick the game up today. I was sold on the basis of story, driving, characters, music, and setting. I'm put off by the comments about repetitive mission structure, though. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

If you've held off till now then you might as well wait another couple of days to see how the reviews go and what people say about it as they play further.

Hanmik

This review just popped up on my twitter feed.

http://thisgengaming.com/2016/10/06/mafia-3-review-ps4-a-boring-repetitive-experience/

The Final Verdict

Mafia III had serious potential but was let down by an extremely boring & repetitive storyline that was tough to get through because it felt like I was just doing the same thing over and over again. Issues & bugs are scattered throughout the game, and happened surprisingly early in the game which also negatively impacted the experience. Now Mafia III is far from a complete failure, there is still some fun to be had with this game but it’s not one I will recommend paying full price for.

+ Great setting

+ Amazing soundtrack

– Boring & repetitive missions

– Bugs & other issues

Final Score: 5/10

ldcommando

Banned
Ya thats mine. Sorry lol I told people I would post it but I am sitting here watching the AI.

Some of the others who got it early are posting today as well later I think

Hey man I really like your reviews. I'm still enjoying the game but I agree with you, those technical issues really lessen the experience. Hope they can fix it.

Top Bottom