• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wensih

I'm in the same boat. Though I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be, I don't feel like dropping $60 for the game now but rather wait for the eventual price drop and probable updates.

The problem is that I know that this will be $30-$40 by November holiday sales, so even though I'm really pumped and tempted to buy now, I'm going to wait to get it sognificantly cheaper, same with the last guardian which I've been waiting for since 8th grade.

El Topo

Feels like they, as many before them (see e.g. Spore), bit off more than they could chew. A bit of a shame, but I'm sure I'll check the game out at some point and have some fun with it.

keenerz

rejection of criticism is not a healthy way to go about life. While the game does certain basic things, It definitely has some major flaws that can't be ignored. I said this way back in the beginning but these genre of games definitely caters to a certain type of people.

Brashnir

I've had the stream on in the background for the last half hour and all he's been doing is mining gold.

It's not just his stream, though.

Every stream I turn on is just someone pointing a laser at rocks. =/

That's what the game is.

It's a clicker in space.

The irony of this post coming from the secretary of defense for SFV.

I still play and love that game. It has a lot of complex gameplay. Just started learning Nash last week and it's like a new game. Having a great time.

No man's sky is like a lot of flash and little substance.

Street fighter 5 is like a lot of substance and little flash.

Will be interesting to see if the no man's sky ot is even half as busy as the sf5 ot is 5 months later. I highly doubt it.

Ferrio

Banned
At least that other person is shooting back

I don't know what kind of tactics or strategy you need to mine rocks, but cool comparison

It's an apt comparison for 2 reason:

1. The game is a survival game, resource collecting is going to be a *huge* part just like Minecraft or any of those other games. To be surprised that a majority people are doing that is silly. Just like I shouldn't be surprised everyone is just shooting something in OW.

2. Your statement has no context. If you strip out everything to it's basis it's going to all sound exactly the same, just like what I said with Overwatch. Now we both can a bit more descriptive and I can tell you who they're playing, what map, etc. As well you can tell me what they're mining, where they're mining and how hostile it is, and what their current goal involving that mining is. Or we can both just play stupid and pretend that none of that information matters to convey what's actually happening.

depths20XX

It always hilarious when people try to compare this to a multiplayer game, completely missing the point of what makes multiplayer games interesting and what makes NMS completely devoid of content.

DR2K

Banned
Has anyone found this guy

no_man_s_sky_killmepls_by_digi_matrix-d9zq2dp.gif

I did. I fed it and it led me to treasure.

Kacho

I've had the stream on in the background for the last half hour and all he's been doing is mining gold.

It's not just his stream, though.

Every stream I turn on is just someone pointing a laser at rocks. =/

It's kinda sad really. You do one thing repeatedly so you can go to another planet and do it again x 18 quadrillion. I saw someone call this a video ass video game but I still think that's being too generous.

Froli

So far the game has less to offer while watching all this on twitch. Even the streamers agree it doesn't deserve the $60 price tag. It lacks so many elements to be entertaining.

But if ever a (soulslike?) MP is implemented, with the base building/giantships, more enemy/npc factions are added, that will make the game pretty solid.

pots555

The planet I am currently on is alive with wildlife and vegetation. Their is so much water that are also full of life.

Current temperature: -79. Something's not right here.

Dad

Why does it seem like Angry Joe reviews are treated like some big event and get their own thread? Genuinely asking because I guess I'm out of the loop

I think even adding some competent ground based combat encounters that are procedural would go a long way to fixing this game for me.

Like it could literally play like an average ps2 fps game and I would be ok with it.

Come across a group of 8 space pirates that are defending some materials, etc.

Something like the far cry 2 outposts would even be welcome.

It always hilarious when people try to compare this to a multiplayer game, completely missing the point of what makes multiplayer games interesting and what makes NMS completely devoid of content.

Second time this page I'm seeing this sentiment. Where are people getting this idea that there's no content or gameplay now?

Second time this page I'm seeing this sentiment. Where are people getting this idea that there's no content or gameplay now?

It's the one consistent criticism this game is getting. A boring gameplay loop that does nothing mechanically interesting whatsoever.

The gameplay is just patched together enough to even justify not watching the game be played.

Why does it seem like Angry Joe reviews are treated like some big event and get their own thread? Genuinely asking because I guess I'm out of the loop

Me personally, and THIS IS AN OPINION(in case some were confused) is that he tends to rate games based on his perceived value. Whether the game is worth the $30-60 asking price and whether it delivers on it's goals set out by the developer. He puts a lot of time and energy in creating lengthy(usually 15mins+) videos explaining his reasoning for rating things the way he does. People get so caught up on the "Angry Joe" moniker that they can't see the forest for the trees and dismiss his well reasoned points quite a bit.

I don't alway agree with him. He loved MGSV, where as I didn't. BUT he also never played any of the others in the series so had no foundation to build an opinion based on previous games like I did. If I had just gone into MGSV without playing the previous games I'm sure I would have loved it as much as he did as the game does so much right.

Not sure why he gets his own thread. But I'm glad he does. Those that don't like it, can just not click on it.

Zzzzz Yeah it's obvious, that doesn't negate using proper English to describe your opinion and not come off as an absolutist. The shit posting is real.

Jesus Christ dude, get over yourself. So if I had written IMO you wouldn't have thrown such a hissy fit? Being an english major, you sure must hate it here on Neogaf.

Zzzzz Yeah it's obvious, that doesn't negate using proper English to describe your opinion and not come off as an absolutist. The shit posting is real.

woo thanks man for a second there i thought the game was in fact actually a dud like a lot of the reviews have been saying.

qcf x2

I still play and love that game. It has a lot of complex gameplay. Just started learning Nash last week and it's like a new game. Having a great time.

No man's sky is like a lot of flash and little substance.

Street fighter 5 is like a lot of substance and little flash.

Will be interesting to see if the no man's sky ot is even half as busy as the sf5 ot is 5 months later. I highly doubt it.

When SFV came out it didn't work, it didn't have features we were told it would, it basically had nothing functional except versus and training. So people said it massively underdelivered and said they would wait until it hit the bargain bin like you said about NMS. Meanwhile many people bought and enjoyed (to varying extents) SFV and many people bought and are enjoying NMS (to varying extents). I guess you are saying that because one is a complex 2D fighter and the other isn't, one gets an eternal pass from you. That's fine if that's what your qualifications are; opinions and all that. I'm just surprised that somebody who doesn't care about lack of content in a SF game cares about lack of gameplay complexity in an adventure game.

Secondly, SFV thread is busy because of enthusiasts, it's not indicative of anything else (imo). NMS threads will be busy for a good while because of updates and mods at the absolute worst.

Thirdly, apart from everything else it seems like you're still at least somewhat interested in the game and there's nothing wrong w/ being financially responsible. So maybe waiting for you is the right move, by the time it hits $40 it will probably look a lot different. For me it's worth the $60 as is (though far from being without flaws) and I'm going to eagerly anticipate updates and mods.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I like how the center of the galaxy contains
exactly more of the same
. Kind of a brutal irony, that.
Maybe it's an allegory about the ennui of the daily grind. Work endlessly, fail to connect with others all doing the same thing, see pretty things, then get more of the fucking same. Lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Neither is press button, hit stuff or hold button, move forward

But I guess nothing is the height of gameplay design when you simplify that much

Reminds me of...

Diablo 2 *click click click click click click* joke from back in the day.

Yet I set alarms for Magic Find, lol.

I want to say one thing that is my biggest peeve with this game and how people are talking about it:

Hello Games has not made a universe.
They have made what LOOKS like a universe, but there is no interaction between anything.
The AI, the environments, the races, nothing does anything. Everything sits there or walks in place.
If you literally just sit there and look at something, nothing will ever happen.
The player is the ONLY thing that does anything in this game and his/her impact on the universe are tiny and have no actual impact.

It is not a universe, it just looks like one.

Even Elite Dangerous has a so called "background simulation".
In No Man Sky, nothing is connected to anything.

This is pretty much how I feel. It's sterile when it comes to its representation of life. The environments are breathtaking, but the things that make it compelling aren't there for me.

Also I want to confirm. This is Sean essentially in all the interviews where he's asked about multiplayer, laughing nervously. Then his worst fears came to pass when the astronomically slim chances of two players meeting happened.

the-smile-man-willen-dafoe-creepy.gif

Daemul

Because unlike most Youtube reviews, his videos aren't just 5 min long quick talking points with barely any depth or detail.

ironcreed

Banned
At least that other person is shooting back

I don't know what kind of tactics, strategy, or on-the-fly decision making you need to mine rocks, but cool comparison

Space pirates sure as hell shoot back, lol. They even come out of nowhere, scan your your ship and take you out with ease if you have some good cargo.

by all means, please enlighten me on the immense depth of NMS's game design.
I mean, sure if you'd rather have an back-and-forth of hyberbolic responses that shift between extremes of zero content and immense depth rather that actually discussing the gameplay in any meaningful constructive fashion

depths20XX

Regarding the gameplay element.

Think if you were dropped in Minecraft and you had just a pick axe and you could explore as far as the eye can see. The only thing you can do though is collect things and refill your energy so you can collect more things. You constantly see new areas but the objective is always the same. Collect the same things so you can collect more of the same things.

"Can I create new things that have an impact or show up in the world?"

"No, you can uh, name stuff though."

This is like the lowest of low gameplay loops. Loot games thrive on this but typically involve more interesting elements like unique builds or level progression and combat that involves some element of skill.

NMS clearly went all tech, "Look how we can make quadbillion planets". Except they forgot what makes a game fun. A random jumble of things farted out that you have no desire to even stay on a planet longer than it takes you to get the resources to go to the next planet.

Sevenfold

Maybe it's an allegory about the ennui of the daily grind. Work endlessly, fail to connect with others all doing the same thing, see pretty things, then get more of the fucking same. Lol.
Spend your earnings on a slightly better thing, you may be on to something.

Brashnir

I mean, sure if you'd rather have an back-and-forth of hyberbolic responses that shift between extremes of zero content and immense depth rather that actually discussing the gameplay in any meaningful constructive fashion

Or we could go back and forth with a bunch of holier-than-thou responses that dismiss the other's opinions while offering naught but a scolding and a tone of faux-authority.

I mean, I'm good with that too. I'm also OK with a honest, serious discussion about what this game actually is, but given the general level of discourse on this forum, I doubt anybody would even read it.

OCD Guy

I was thinking earlier about complaints regarding the price of the game.

I came across a quote from Sean Murray discussing the future of No Man's Sky and the route they've taken for DLC. Now it's obviously going to be free, he explicitly said that he doesn't want to charge customers for any additional content at all, but I wonder whether that's what's driven the RRP for the game.

Ultimately the game is an ambitious indie game, and rather than price it lower and charge for any DLC they decided the best way forward was the model they've taken.

Thinking about it I actually prefer to pay upfront as it were, and as I've said several times I've got a really good feeling about this game. I can't see Hello Games leaving it to rot.

They've already got some interesting things in the pipeline like being able to build a base, which could put a new dynamic on things, e.g give you a reason to find a great planet, and obviously return to it often (if that's where your base is located).

While the reviews can only take into account what's infront of them, the main complaint is the repetition and feeling of micro management getting in the way. These complaints are easily dealt with in a patch, even the variety can be increased via a patch too.

This is definitely DriveClub all over for me. I'd love to re-visit the threads in 6 months time and compare the reactions.....

I was thinking earlier about complaints regarding the price of the game.

I came across a quote from Sean Murray discussing the future of No Man's Sky and the route they've taken for DLC. Now it's obviously going to be free, he explicitly said that he doesn't want to charge customers for any additional content at all, but I wonder whether that's what's driven the RRP for the game.

Ultimately the game is an ambitious indie game, and rather than price it lower and charge for any DLC they decided the best way forward was the model they've taken.

Thinking about it I actually prefer to pay upfront as it were, and as I've said several times I've got a really good feeling about this game. I can't see Hello Games leaving it to rot.

They've already got some interesting things in the pipeline like being able to build a base, which could put a new dynamic on things, e.g give you a reason to find a great planet, and obviously return to it often (if that's where your base is located).

While the reviews can only take into account what's infront of them, the main complaint is the repetition and feeling of micro management getting in the way. These complaints are easily dealt with in a patch, even the variety can be increased via a patch too.

This is definitely DriveClub all over for me. I'd love to re-visit the threads in 6 months time and compare the reactions.....

Totally agree. It would be a sneaky hit down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom