• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

Why does it seem like Angry Joe reviews are treated like some big event and get their own thread? Genuinely asking because I guess I'm out of the loop

I don't even know myself, they are people with more subs and views that are doing the same things but don't have their own thread here... it's a complete mystery lol but I enjoy Joe's content too so whatever.

Hugstable

Banned
He's a really big YouTube star I guess. Like PewDiePie with a deeper voice.

I don't think he's at all like PDP. From what I've seen Joe does pretty lengthy and indepth video reviews that usually go over what he dislikes or likes about a game. Sure everyone may not agree with what he's saying, but he does put it work when it comes to his reviews and it's more than just him being angry and stuff. I guess I haven't seen much of PDP videos to judge, but I would say AJ is more than just "PDP with a deeper voice"

Or we could go back and forth with a bunch of holier-than-thou responses that dismiss the other's opinions while offering naught but a scolding and a tone of faux-authority.

I mean, I'm good with that too. I'm also OK with a honest, serious discussion about what this game actually is, but given the general level of discourse on this forum, I doubt anybody would even read it.
With that rationale, why discuss anything on the Internet? I don't care what others do; I'd prefer to have honest level-headed conversation if there are others willing to do the same. You only need one other person to have a good discussion

how can a patch make the gameplay fun?

The gameplay is fun for a lot of people, the main issue is repetitiveness. You add some sense of purpose and variety of mechanism and it could correct one of the main issue.

For instance, if you can construct ala Minecraft and start your own civilization like it was hinted by Sean.

depths20XX

It would be such a huge endeavor I feel like. They don't even have the hooks in to improve upon it.

They clearly had no idea of what ground combat should be.

They clearly don't know how space combat should be.

These things are functioning at base level of "point and shoot with your generic gun".

I suppose one way would be adding more construction elements for guns and adding unique elements to your ship.

They also need to construct an AI system for enemies on planets and in space. What they have feels very bare bones in that regard.

OCD Guy

Totally agree. It would be a sneaky hit down the road.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to what they can come up with.

Well if you don't like the core gameplay, i.e Explore, Fight, Trade and Survive then nothing is going to change that. A patch isn't obviously going to change the formula. Although I don't think the formula is bad on paper, just poorly executed, things like the sentinels aren't really fun to "fight", but they could be made to be.

But it can make improvements to that formula, minor complaints like button bindings, inventory slots, FOV etc are easily fixed.

Also things like variety in general can also be patched in, perhaps more "quests", even more variety, more enemies on certain planets, more NPC's, more story driven interaction with said NPC's (afterall in a recent patch they re-wrote the Atlas Path).

I think you're really downplaying what can be changed in a patch. It might also be worth reading this LINK to get an idea of what things they've changed already. They added new gameplay mechanics, like brake drifting and critical hits to Space combat, added Bounty missions and larger space battles.

If they're already making changes like that I don't think it's unrealistic to imagine them adding even more to do on planets.

I was thinking earlier about complaints regarding the price of the game.

I came across a quote from Sean Murray discussing the future of No Man's Sky and the route they've taken for DLC. Now it's obviously going to be free, he explicitly said that he doesn't want to charge customers for any additional content at all, but I wonder whether that's what's driven the RRP for the game.

Ultimately the game is an ambitious indie game, and rather than price it lower and charge for any DLC they decided the best way forward was the model they've taken.

Thinking about it I actually prefer to pay upfront as it were, and as I've said several times I've got a really good feeling about this game. I can't see Hello Games leaving it to rot.

They've already got some interesting things in the pipeline like being able to build a base, which could put a new dynamic on things, e.g give you a reason to find a great planet, and obviously return to it often (if that's where your base is located).

While the reviews can only take into account what's infront of them, the main complaint is the repetition and feeling of micro management getting in the way. These complaints are easily dealt with in a patch, even the variety can be increased via a patch too.

This is definitely DriveClub all over for me. I'd love to re-visit the threads in 6 months time and compare the reactions.....

The main compelling point of base building is to share it with others though. Or utilize it against a potential dangerous foe. That makes it largely irrelevant in the current game. They'd have to add consistent multiplayer. Add AI behavior and capabilities like invasions. Massive undertakings I just don't see happening.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
IMO base building runs counter to the entire point of this game. Given it revolves around 'do stuff to get shinier, more powerful thing' I would say it'd benefit from perhaps enemy encounters or challenges that reward you with items/loot.

OCD Guy

The main compelling point of base building is to share it with others though. Or utilize it against a potential dangerous foe. That makes it largely irrelevant in the current game. They'd have to add consistent multiplayer. Add AI behavior and capabilities like invasions. Massive undertakings I just don't see happening.

I know what you're saying. But I'd be surprised if they're just going to add the ability to build a base and leave everything the way it is.

But obviously time will tell...

A few people mentioned having early access on the game, I know it didn't happen due to the ties with Sony, but I think it would have benefited greatly from launching on Steam as an early access title and evolved into something special and then released on consoles (or PS4)

IMO base building runs counter to the entire point of this game. Given it revolves around 'do stuff to get shinier, more powerful thing' I would say it'd benefit from perhaps enemy encounters or challenges that reward you with items/loot.

I could see them adding more enemy encounters, afterall they added larger battles in Space, and even Bounty missions, and according to the patch notes increased the frequency of pirates. So again I can totally see them adding more encounters on planets.

It seems like the framework is that of Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. Except you only get money/resources by mining ore. And instead of going day to day to get more resources you go planet to planet. And instead of a cute village and quirky townspeople you've got a strange, uncaring universe and aliens who don't even speak your language.

It doesn't seem like NMS has quite the hook that those games have, but I can understand why people like it and can imagine ways they can make it more widely appealing.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm super on the fence about picking this up. The relaxing nature of it and exploration seems cool, but feels a bit steep at $60 for the limited variety I've been seeing in screenshots. And the weirdness of the messaging from Sean has gone from endearing to irritating.

sn00zer

Workforce Gaming: The First 8 Hours

My friend put in 8 hours before giving it the thumbs up and he has been foaming at the mouth for it for years. Its been pretty clear since day one this was one hell of a niche game, but I always thought the best games were the "love it or hate it " types because they did something different as opposed to doing something the same very well. He felt the same "You will love it IF" seems to be the way to go about it.

depths20XX

Such an odd review in which they make everything about the game sound uninteresting yet still give it an 8/10.

"So what is No Man's Sky about? Exploration. Period. The end. Exploration is the game."

"Everything about No Man's Sky that isn't directly tied into the drive to explore and see new amazing things is shallow and not particularly interesting"

"Your ship gets you to new planets. Your suit lets you explore those planets more easily and effectively on foot. Your multitool helps you mine resources faster and fight off the game's robotic sentinels (more a nuisance than anything else on most worlds) so you can keep the cycle going."

"Then I was warping on to the next world, having named planets and animals that I will likely never go back to see again (but maybe you will, if the game's promised shared-world online services start working the way they're supposed to soon). "

"If these gameplay descriptions sound repetitive that's because No Man's Sky is a repetitive game. Once you've played for 20 hours or so you'll be harvesting the same resources, building the same items, having the same kinds of conversations, and seeing vaguely similar plants and animals with rearranged colors and bits."

Yeah, totally an 8/10

DedValve

Banned
Such an odd review in which they make everything about the game sound uninteresting yet still give it an 8/10.

"So what is No Man's Sky about? Exploration. Period. The end. Exploration is the game."

"Everything about No Man's Sky that isn't directly tied into the drive to explore and see new amazing things is shallow and not particularly interesting"

"Your ship gets you to new planets. Your suit lets you explore those planets more easily and effectively on foot. Your multitool helps you mine resources faster and fight off the game's robotic sentinels (more a nuisance than anything else on most worlds) so you can keep the cycle going."

"Then I was warping on to the next world, having named planets and animals that I will likely never go back to see again (but maybe you will, if the game's promised shared-world online services start working the way they're supposed to soon). "

"If these gameplay descriptions sound repetitive that's because No Man's Sky is a repetitive game. Once you've played for 20 hours or so you'll be harvesting the same resources, building the same items, having the same kinds of conversations, and seeing vaguely similar plants and animals with rearranged colors and bits."

Yeah, totally an 8/10

I mean exploration is a huge part of the game which it is and if it tickles your fancy then of course your going to like it despite its flaws. Thats just how emotion works.

jett

D-Member

Yeah, totally an 8/10

dem baby gloves

Game reviewers need to tap into their inner assholes. Figuratively, I mean.

The gameplay is fun for a lot of people, the main issue is repetitiveness. You add some sense of purpose and variety of mechanism and it could correct one of the main issue.

For instance, if you can construct ala Minecraft and start your own civilization like it was hinted by Sean.

Im inclined to agree. They need to explain what content is coming down the road. It's a very large sandbox, but they need to fill it with sand.

I'm enjoying it for what it is but I also see so much more potential for things in the game. Not sure how realistic any of it is to implement.

cordy

Banned
Man...I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to previews, anything besides E3 gameplay videos, just information, so so glad...

Because I'm absolutely loving this game.

There's just something about it. Whether it's the idea of the game, atmosphere, the pure size of it, the fact it really makes me feel like I'm actually in a starship traveling across space and it's so realistic. I don't know what this game is but I love it. It's exactly how I've always imagined traveling through space to be as a kid. Even the weird sounds you hear, the openness of the planets, everything seems great. Sure, others had different expectations and others had hype but I was never on board with this hype train. While I've always wanted to play it, I was just never in "OMFG THIS IS THE GAME OF THE GENERATION I NEED THIS BAD" mode and what do you know, it's come out far better than I expected.

I'm going to be playing this for a very very long time. Love it.

Man...I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to previews, anything besides E3 gameplay videos, just information, so so glad...

Because I'm absolutely loving this game.

There's just something about it. Whether it's the idea of the game, atmosphere, the pure size of it, the fact it really makes me feel like I'm actually in a starship traveling across space and it's so realistic. I don't know what this game is but I love it. It's exactly how I've always imagined traveling through space to be as a kid. Even the weird sounds you hear, the openness of the planets, everything seems great. Sure, others had different expectations and others had hype but I was never on board with this hype train. While I've always wanted to play it, I was just never in "OMFG THIS IS THE GAME OF THE GENERATION I NEED THIS BAD" mode and what do you know, it's come out far better than I expected.

I'm going to be playing this for a very very long time. Love it.

My only expectation from the game, at all, was being able to take off from a planet and fly into space in real time with no loading. That's it.

Worth 60$ for that alone to me but that's been something I've wanted again for a long time. Not the first game to do it but I enjoy it each and every time.

I like exploring. I like not having a plot. Just want to have more of an impact on the Galaxy or star system.

I mean exploration is a huge part of the game which it is and if it tickles your fancy then of course your going to like it despite its flaws. Thats just how emotion works.

But if the exploration is so shallow (which is what of the main complaints are), then what's the point? You can rename a planet. Great. You can rename that weird creature that God seemingly created while high. Awesome. Aside from that, is there anything meaningful that you can take out of it? It would have been awesome if, like real life, it's a tangible experience where you can see how they actually interact with the environment and the ecosystem but from is reported, even that is near to non-existent. Exploration, for me, is finding something worthwhile that I can discover, not observing something from behind a thick glass.

Are there anything interesting and unique that people have found, aside from the procedurally generated things that are essentially the same with a different coat of paint? Or is this like Skyrim's "Radiant Quests" all over again?

Surfheart

I dont get the whole exploration thing? What are you exploring exactly? There's no glimmering alien cities on the horizon, just a bunch of computer generated fakery.

I guess you need a massive ability to suspend disbelief and pretend that what you are doing is really something else, along with a healthy tolerance for tedium and repetition.

depths20XX

I understand the feeling of exploration but I don't understand how this game does it in a rewarding way. Exploration seems to serve no other purpose than "seeing random things". How does seeing different animals benefit you? A tiny monetary reward?

In games like CIV or Don't Starve you explore and discover things that are very integral to your progression. They have meaning and greatly effect your progression.

In NMS what you explore or discover is largely unimportant to your progression. It's not a challenge of skill, simply a challenge of time spent grinding.

JCH!

Last couple of posts: "I don't understand how people like thing I don't like."

Welcome to difference of taste and opinion, I guess.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I dont get the whole exploration thing? What are you exploring exactly? There's no glimmering alien cities on the horizon, just a bunch of computer generated fakery.

I guess you need a massive ability to suspend disbelief and pretend that what you are doing is really something else, along with a healthy tolerance for tedium and repetition.

That's my biggest issue with the game and always has been. Once again it's the smoke and mirrors that there is actually something worth exploring. I get why it's interesting to some people and that's great, but essentially all your exploring is what they algorithm put together with minor differences to call it "unique"

Oscar

Sorry if it's been asked, but will there be a physical PC release?

This decides if I pull the trigger on Steam tonight, or hold off for dat 20% off at Best Buy in the morning.

depths20XX

Nah, I think a lot of people have explained what they don't like about this game and why they think it's bad.

Sorry if it's been asked, but will there be a physical PC release?

This decides if I pull the trigger on Steam tonight, or hold off for dat 20% off at Best Buy in the morning.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, which is ridiculous considering on console you can get it cheaper and have the ability to sell or trade it.

Nah, if you'll step back and look at the whole thing, you'll realize that the level of backlash this game is getting is proportional to the level of hype it generated upon announcement. The fact that it was announced as a Sony console exclusive added to the hype.

If this was announced as a Steam early access indie game, to be released on multiple platforms, and priced as a mid-tier indie game, I am pretty sure it wouldn't have gotten this amount of heat.

Nah, if you'll step back and look at the whole thing, you'll realize that the level of backlash this game is getting is proportional to the level of hype it generated.

If this was announced as a Steam early access indie game, to be released on multiple platforms, and priced as a mid-tier indie game, I am pretty sure it wouldn't have gotten this amount of heat.
That has really nothing to do with what he said tho hype or not. People acting oblivious to why people like something will always be idiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom