• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (TGAs)

KePoW

Banned
Yes, let's stop holding people accountable for their own self-induced ignorance. What a beautiful world that would be. If you aren't interested enough to type a few words into a search engine, then you have no right to complain that they haven't gone out of their way to email you specifically.

What's the difference between typing words in a search engine, versus asking on GAF?

If anything, I'd rather discuss it on GAF

Gaz_RB

Anyway in advance I'm hiring for my No Man's Sky exploration crew. NeoGAF crew are dedicated to human expansion in the universe and we fear no dark corner of our galaxy.

FLY WITH ME SPACE DUDES

I'm so in. I was just thinking about how great the community will be after a year of exploration. There will be all these cool planets found that people will use as landmarks as they move through the galaxy. Gonna be really interesting.

Ok well that's cool, but can we see it?

To me combat is the most important part of video games, not the world generation. (but the worlds in NMS do look pretty cool so far)
That's a fair request, though I will say that a video game doesn't need combat to be a game. I know you stated that as your own opinion, I'm just sharing my own as well. Hope the combat is good enough for those who want it.

To see the new gameplay trailer? wtf? why wouldn't I be here? How the fuck would I know its not interesting until I watch the trailer.

Well, your reaction of 'boring' doesn't really contribute anything. It would help if you went into more depth, as it just comes across as shitposting.

But anyway, you said that you weren't interested in the game before this trailer. Normally, one doesn't go to threads about shit that they don't like and post a shitty one-word reaction.

Hoje0308

Banned
No they didn't. All the trailers they have shown have been the same thing. If a lot of people have to look up shit by the 3rd trailer than the developer pr is doing a bad job. What games have you known that people still had question like what is this game about by the 3rdd trailer?

There's this thing called reading that you can do if the trailer interests you. You're on the internet right now and I've just told you where you can find the information, yet you persist. If you pay attention, you can see quite clearly what some of the objectives and mechanics are. But, that requires a little observation and thought. I guess the trailers should have been designed to spell everything out for you in bombastic sentences with bold letters and lots of exclamation points.
Your point about trailer statistics is just nonsense. Pay attention and you won't be so lost.

The fact that they're STILL not showing actual compelling gameplay at this point rings all kinds of alarm bells in my head. You can't ride on the "beautiful planets with nothing to do on them other than walk" bandwagon forever. Clearly it seems they have nothing more to show and what we're seeing right now is the complete NMS experience. If not, then they're completely oblivious to what keeps a player engaged and this doesn't bode well for their game if they can't get people to keep being interested in it beyond the original premise reveal. For all we know, the gameplay could be as fun and engaging as Sonic 06's was, only on prettier randomly generated nonsense.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm so in. I was just thinking about how great the community will be after a year of exploration. There will be all these cool planets found that people will use as landmarks as they move through the galaxy. Gonna be really interesting.

To put into perspective how massive the game is, though, if the entire United States of America - every single person - started exploring No Man's Sky universe from the day it releases until the end of your life, we would not have even explored 1% of the universe by the time every one of the people in the country died.

It's gonna be just endless stories about the nutso shit people discover. Their procedural algorithm is supposedly incredible and creates some of the best diversity of a game like this seen.

mstevens

Guys, man. The trailer DOES showcase the mechanics.

Here is exactly how it works

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

So I'm assuming it's perma death?

Gaz_RB

To put into perspective how massive the game is, though, if the entire United States of America - every single person - started exploring No Man's Sky universe from the day it releases until the end of your life, we would not have even explored 1% of the universe by the time every one of the people in the country died.

It's gonna be just endless stories about the nutso shit people discover. Their procedural algorithm is supposedly incredible and creates some of the best diversity of a game like this seen.

Holy shit. I didn't realize they were going that large. Amazing.

Hoje0308

Banned
The fact that they're STILL not showing actual compelling gameplay at this point rings all kinds of alarm bells in my head. You can't ride on the "beautiful planets with nothing to do on them other than walk" bandwagon forever. Clearly it seems they have nothing more to show and what we're seeing right now is the complete NMS experience. If not, then they're completely oblivious to what keeps a player engaged and this doesn't bode well for their game if they can't get people to keep being interested in it beyond the original premise reveal. For all we know, the gameplay could be as fun and engaging as Sonic 06's was, only on prettier randomly generated nonsense.

The fact that you're unwilling to acknowledge the fact that the proper unveil tomorrow is ringing alarm bells to me. Also, who the hell are you to say that what they've shown isn't compelling to someone else? What I've seen so far is enough for me and what I've read is just making the wait more unbearable.

The fact that you're unwilling to acknowledge the fact that the proper unveil tomorrow is ringing alarm bells to me. Also, who the hell are you to say that what they've shown isn't compelling to someone else? What I've seen so far is enough for me and what I've read is just making the wait more unbearable.

Yeah, the game with just exploring a vast galaxy and documenting stuff is hugely compelling to me. Everything else is just icing on top.

Game4life

Banned
NMS needs an objectives map like this

assassins-creed-unity-icons.jpg

Then I think many people will feel at ease.

Yeah counter genuine complaints with another extreme scenario. I guess asking for how combat, resource collecting works in a trailer is too much. From now on I will get excited for another trailer where the player walks in a colored planet for two minutes and gets on a spaceship and keeps flying to another planet with 65 days of static playing in the background.

BlazeVoi

Banned
Alright. So I got a couple of answers. Some quite rude, others not so rude.

The reason I said " is it like Minecraft" is because it seems to share the collection, exploration, and survival elements. I love minecraft, which doesnt have a set 'goal' either, so there is no reason to call me a child, or that I want to be spoonfed.

I still want to see combat in its entirety. Something isnt right...

The one thing they haven't shown and I agree they should is how it'll work on foot in combat against robots. Are we going to have an arsenal of guns? In this they still need to reveal a little information yet about how that works.
The developer did say he is annoyed how so many sci fi games have typical weapons like an assault rifle. He said he wants NMS to be more about shooting lasers and other fancy stuff of the sort.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'd be into the NeoGAF space exploration crew if we had a focus on logging animals and plant life. That's what I'm into man. Space biologist.

I hope the endgame involves more direct contact with your friends. I've no problem going through the solitary experience they have planned for the campaign (if you can call it that), but would like to have more options once I've made it to the center of the galaxy.

No, but there's heavy punishments if you die. If you die while onfoot or in a ship, you lose everything that you were carrying at that time. You can get to stations where you can save that stuff, but you've got to make it to them first.

I hope the endgame involves more direct contact with your friends. I've no problem going through the solitary experience they have planned for the campaign (if you can call it that), but would like to have more options once I've made it to the center of the galaxy.

well the preview said that you can see friends in the map and message them or something like that. so eventually you might be able to meet up

If your ship gets destroyed in space, you eject from it in an escape pod and land on the nearest planet and lose whatever you had in your ship.

If you die on a planet, you lose what you are carrying and spawn back at your ship.

If you die on a planet and you don't have a ship... Well I dunno

Hoje0308

Banned
well the preview said that you can see friends in the map and message them or something like that. so eventually you might be able to meet up

Yeah, I'm just worried that the resource management aspect will make it tough to go off and do your own thing for a bit then regroup with friends.

Sylent01

...It's gonna be just endless stories about the nutso shit people discover. Their procedural algorithm is supposedly incredible and creates some of the best diversity of a game like this seen.

I'm very glad the 'share' feature is happening on ps4 so I'll be able to see what craziness everyone else is encountering- guess I'll need to set up a YT account to share mine.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What's the difference between typing words in a search engine, versus asking on GAF?
A search engine doesn't get irritated with the same question being asked over and over after it's already been answered multiple times in the past.

And taking that initiative to search on one's own for some very basic info helps distinguish those genuinely interested in the subject at hand from those who probably aren't.

kyser73

Sign me up for the Neogaf Exploration Team Captain Amir0x.

I think future NMS threads will see me deploying the ignore function. Some of the comments on here, coming from supposed gaming enthusiasts, are the height of laziness.

sorry brotha, you know I got love for ya, but shit sounds like something you put on in the background and pay half attention to. Fly some randomly assembled level, probably have some not-very-satisfying combat with the enemy types they repeat for 40 hours randomly, fly to another world maybe...there's that dragon thing from Space Harrier I guess...portal to another random world where everything is blue instead of greeen now...maybe some UbiSoft crafting resources...alright

like something you play for a little bit in-between more mechanically interesting games or maybe you don't feel like playing anything so "fuck it no man's sky I guess"

You're killing me, JC.

This game is like peeking into the window of a house that might possibly contain one of my dream games. One person, one ship, and the mysteries of a wide open expansive galaxy all around you with seamless planetary exploration....If I can't stay positive about this I might as well just give up videogames. I've been hyped for MUCH less ambitious titles with much less information out there. The deep gameplay footage will come eventually.

It might not be for you though, that's fine. Hell, it might not even be a good game come release but I'm still hyped for now. The ambition alone excites me.

noah111

Still Alive
Guys, man. The trailer DOES showcase the mechanics.

Here is exactly how it works

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.
Thanks for this. But can you elaborate on the bolded points / where you got that from?

So the idea of a GAF exploration crew got me thinking - that'd be like exploring the galaxy together and sharing notes to "study" the wild life while not actually physically exploring together. So, what other cool things could we do as a community whilst still for the most part playing on our own? One thing I immediately thought, but am 99.9% won't be possible, is going around finding cool species and collecting them, only to put them against each other arena style and broadcast it to the internet. I mean I know our ships have a cargo capacity, but you probably aren't able to store animals. Also not sure if animals would naturally attack each other. But if the game is successful enough maybe some updates could make such stuff possible.

ryan299

I want to play this game so badly but does anybody else this is turning into Watch Dogs? Like the game just needs to come out already. I hope they go dark for a while

I mean from a marketing perspective. Obviously the game is nothing like watch dogs. But people were excited for watch dogs but they just kept showing it until the point where people were like 'we don't want to see it anymore just release it'.

That's how I feel about No Man's Sky right now. Just give me a release date and come out already lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It's weird because what they've shown so far is THE reason I want to play it. I guess this game isn't for you.

vpance

Yeah counter genuine complaints with another extreme scenario. I guess asking for how combat, resource collecting works in a trailer is too much. From now on I will get excited for another trailer where the player walks in a colored planet for two minutes and gets on a spaceship and keeps flying to another planet with 65 days of static playing in the background.

No one is asking you to get excited. But I and many others will give them the benefit of the doubt that gameplay exists, mostly because we're reasonable and partly because we read some interviews talking about it. Maybe they just don't have time to make a tutorial like gameplay trailer. Good thing there's tons of info out there though.

I don't get the Watch Dogs comparison... I get the Spore comparison, but ultimately this does not fall within the same situation as Spore.

Thanks for this. But can you elaborate on the bolded points / where you got that from?

The recent Game Informer article. You can't build anything like minecraft status, so the home base thing may be a bit misleading, but you can just explore on one planet for a long time if you want. They are big enough so even with just doing that, you wont run out of places to explore.

Elaborating the bolded parts.
1) Great secrets are secret.
2) Make a planet your home base simply by storing stuff at an outpost because if you die you lose everything on hand.
3) I'm guessing players won't have a chevron over their head, and there will be NPC ships and characters.

This is all from scattered interviews, not sure which ones he actually pulled from.

Nafai1123

Banned
Sogood.gif

To those who say "what's the game about?" there was a thread just a couple days ago about the GameInformer article that goes into the gameplay. My guess is we'll see some actual gameplay tomorrow at PSX

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
zakislam said:
"All footage captured in real time".
Since noone has mentioned this yet - this footage is also 60fps (not stable, but I am not sure if that's just my laptop and 60hz video playback problems).
I've never seen that being mentioned as a target before - so I just found it curious.

No one is asking you to get excited. But I and many others will give them the benefit of the doubt that gameplay exists, mostly because we're reasonable and partly because we read some interviews talking about it. Maybe they just don't have time to make a tutorial like gameplay trailer. Good thing there's tons of info out there though.

They probably wont have tat type of trailer.

They make it a point how games nowadays show off too much info about the content prior to release and it takes away the mystery players have when they first start it up, like how it was in earlier eras. They said they are holding back a lot about the game because they want us to be surprised and feel like a baby within the game's universe.

They also specifically mentioned tutorials a few times since the announcements and how this game wont hold your hand in any kind of way. So I doubt they'd have a "tutorial" trailer, but they could change their minds I guess.

legacyzero

Banned
I can't contain the hype anymore. I just can't.

This segment put me over the edge. I really need help GAF.

why is there a metal gear in there

"The Molevolent Force"

Keeps the peace and quiet in the galaxy. You start actin a fool, they'll be there to keep your ass in check.

Top Bottom