• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

I think "Waking Titan" is over, but remember we don't know how to open the portals. There are 6 glyphs remaining, I don't think we're just going to leave them be. I think they'll let us play the update for a while to figure out whats new then start things up again.

Not sure why they wouldn't end with a trailer though, feels like a mistake.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think "Waking Titan" is over, but remember we don't know how to open the portals. There are 6 glyphs remaining, I don't think we're just going to leave them be. I think they'll let us play the update for a while to figure out whats new then start things up again.

Not sure why they wouldn't end with a trailer though, feels like a mistake.

I think they ended it prematurely, possibly in response to the vibe of the community basically treating the stream countdown as some end-all scenario. Im really interested to see how the ARG changed or if this was all the plan at the start.

It's amazing how some people have managed to disappoint themselves already even though nothing official has been said.

This. I agree with you totally.

No one said what to expect or if they should expect anything. Something is coming, and it will come on their schedule. Patience people.

I think they ended it prematurely, possibly in response to the vibe of the community basically treating the stream countdown as some end-all scenario. Im really interested to see how the ARG changed or if this was all the plan at the start.

You could be right, but I think this was the plan from the start. If you're going to do it you should stick to your guns all the way to the bitter end if what you think you have in store is good. People would cheer back up after sleeping on it. To me this seems kind of natural as it has now gone out of Atlas Foundation's hands, it's now time to transition into the simulation itself. The strange thing is if that is the plan, then why would they not drop a trailer on the stream? I'm sure they have something ready seeing as worst case this update drops August 30th.

Giganteus

Getting a feeling the ARG was always intended to end at the anniversary but that they also expected everyone to solve it before hand. Maybe they designed some of the puzzles too difficult?
I would be a little surprised. The solutions aren't that hard to find; even if they were, they could push us in the right direction and push us quickly if they had to, so I don't think it's quite over. The glyphs are gonna play a role in the game, so I think we'll get them unlocked. That's my guess.

Ritzboof

i really hope they have more to present than working portals when this update rolls around. more gameplay functionality is great, but i think a larger pool of assets and other shit thatd improve the procedural generation is what the game could really use. theyve proven themselves capable of doing a lot of stuff for one update, so im not all that worried, but i really hope they have something great for us after such an elaborate event

Catphish

I've not been participating in the ARG, and I obviously don't know their ultimate plan or motive but, it seems to me, HG really shouldn't be doing *anything* right now that generates hype or expectation. Considering how that worked out the first time, I think they should just keep working on the game and making solid progress like they have been.

Unless they have something exceptional planned (which would be lovely), this appears to have plenty of potential to blow up in their face or, at the very least, fizzle. And I don't know why they'd risk either at this point.

Cincaid

So living in Europe (and working today) I missed last night's stream, but from what I can tell the status right now is:

• The stream ended with Loop16 (Emily) thanking everyone for the time, and showing a new in-game screenshot showing what looks like a portal
  • An email was sent out, stating "Waking Titan is done"
  • 10,000 physical Atlas Pass 4 will be sent out randomly to participants of the ARG, not yet confirmed who the lucky winners are
  • Same email said "SM" (Sean Murray?) will send out a new memo within the next 24 hours
  • There are still 6 inactive glyphs remaining on wakingtitan.com
  • ETARC forums are migrating and will form the new Citizen Science Division forums

All of this is suggesting that the ARG is not over, but right now we're all just waiting for that SM memo to explain more? Did I miss anything?

So living in Europe (and working today) I missed last night's stream, but from what I can tell the status right now is:

• The stream ended with Loop16 (Emily) thanking everyone for the time, and showing a new in-game screenshot showing what looks like a portal
  • 10,000 physical Atlas Pass 4 will be sent out randomly to participants of the ARG, not yet confirmed who the lucky winners are
  • Same email said "SM" (Sean Murray?) will send out a new memo within the next 24 hours
  • ETARC forums are migrating and will form the new Citizen Science Division forums

All of this is suggesting that the ARG is not over, but right now we're all just waiting for that SM memo to explain more? Did I miss anything?

I think this might mark the transition from the part of the ARG made by A&S to the one produced in-house by HG. I think they might be moving off of the A&S servers onto HG's hence the need for the migration.

c0Zm1c

With portals becoming active I hope the eventual update makes them more prevalent, or at least easier to find. In 84 hours on the PC version, and even longer on the PS4 version, I've only ever encountered one of them!

Lots of stuff on that one card.

DuCmAVs.jpg

needs more COOPER COOPER

kami_sama

Thanks for the recap! I saw the email when I woke up and was wondering what happened in the end.
Also, I am not holding my breath (I only got into waking titan at the very end) but I hope I get one of those passes :p

jiiikoo

Banned
Thanks for the recap! I saw the email when I woke up and was wondering what happened in the end.
Also, I am not holding my breath (I only got into waking titan at the very end) but I hope I get one of those passes :p
Same here! Got in to it when the escape room thing happened a week ago. Not holding my breath though :(

JP

I'm expecting this to continue in the game itself in some way now that they've set up the back story. Hopefully, the game will be updated over the next couple of days due to the anniversary and we'll find that the puzzles, the story will continue inside the actual game.

It just feels like it's been leading up to that for me and with the anniversary happening this week, that just seems to tidy things up.

I'm starting to get creeped out by a certain amount of people who seem to believe this is all real :D

You do realise that Emily is an actress, right? She's not actually a super AI who has taken over the actual world? She didn't actually predict any of that stuff because she can see into the future, but because it's a game, and an old as the hills magic trick.

I know what you're thinking, "no fun allowed", but what if we do see her again, but in game as part of the narrative?

And I've always been more interested in the glyphs themselves, than what they open. There are birds and insects in there, and what look like cities and spiral galaxies.

I'm starting to get creeped out by a certain amount of people who seem to believe this is all real :D

You do realise that Emily is an actress, right? She's not actually a super AI who has taken over the actual world? She didn't actually predict any of that stuff because she can see into the future, but because it's a game, and an old as the hills magic trick.

I know what you're thinking, "no fun allowed", but what if we do see her again, but in game as part of the narrative?

And I've always been more interested in the glyphs themselves, than what they open. There are birds and insects in there, and what look like cities and spiral galaxies.
Does anyone actually believe this?

I think you may simply be confusing people talking about the ARG within the context of the narrative its driving and people actually thinking its real.

SomTervo

People are just excited about the lore. I haven't been following the ARG at all and I'm not interested but people get immersed in stuff like this just like they do in any fictional universe. It's fine. They're not children.

8byte

Banned

I haven't seen a single person in this thread that fits your description.

bloomorte

I've been following it on Reddit and I'm surprised that there's not so many haters here. I hope this update makes up for all they've been through.

somme

Wish the game really had such deep canyons and tall, dense jungles, oh well.

I have seen very deep canyons since the first big update when they reset the universe. I haven't seen foliage that dense though. I'd take dense forests over hundreds of animals though.

Really curious what they have up their sleeve. Have been playing a lot again recently with the new updates. Building a base and driving around with the vehicles is neat, but what No Man's Sky really needs is an endgame. Because right now there isn't really a reason to bother with all that stuff.

Planets also need an overhaul. The terrain always starts repeating very, very soon. It kinda destroys immersion. They also need continents and rivers.

There is massive potential so I'm hopeful.

SomTervo

Really curious what they have up their sleeve. Have been playing a lot again recently with the new updates. Building a base and driving around with the vehicles is neat, but what No Man's Sky really needs is an endgame. Because right now there isn't really a reason to bother with all that stuff.

Planets also need an overhaul. The terrain always starts repeating very, very soon. It kinda destroys immersion. They also need continents and rivers.

There is massive potential so I'm hopeful.

I wouldn't say the terrain starts repeating, but the assets definitely get familiar quickly. Neither flora nor fauna have THAT many permutations.

Lom1lo

I hope this update brings more stuff to do, love the game but its a bit boring. And fixing the performance problems would be nice. Cant play this on high at 1080p (i5 4460 & RX480 8GB), seems wrong.

Maybe it will..

I have seen very deep canyons since the first big update when they reset the universe. I haven't seen foliage that dense though. I'd take dense forests over hundreds of animals though.

I've seen canyons like these:

But that's not even remotely close to the scale depicted in that concept art (not saying games have to look exactly like their concept art though).

The engine just isn't quite cut out to pull off that kind of scale (with reasonable performance, that is) and still manage to generate it on time, with low memory requirements etc. I'm sure we'll still see some interesting things with the terrain in the future, but I don't think we'll be able to have the kind of scale and view distance seen in, for example, Ghost Recon: Wildlands (but that game has the advantage of not being procedurally generated).

I've seen canyons like these:

But that's not even remotely close to the scale depicted in that concept art (not saying games have to look exactly like their concept art though).

The engine just isn't quite cut out to pull off that kind of scale (with reasonable performance, that is) and still manage to generate it on time, with low memory requirements etc. I'm sure we'll still see some interesting things with the terrain in the future, but I don't think we'll be able to have the kind of scale and view distance seen in, for example, Ghost Recon: Wildlands (but that game has the advantage of not being procedurally generated).

Who knows if they've been able to implement that cloud compute tech they were talking about a while ago? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

gossi

Update incoming later today?

Hold on to your butts

The ARG's final email said there would be a statement from SM (Sean Murray?) today.

I just checked, the last major update statement was posted on their website at exactly 11:30pm UK time. They use Wordpress, which supports timed publishing. That's 7 hours 25 minutes from this post.

They pre-announce updates.

kami_sama

Yes, the ARG's final email said there would be a statement from SM (Sean Murray?) today.

I just checked, the last major update statement was posted on their website at exactly 11:30pm UK time. They use Wordpress, which supports timed publishing. That's 7 hours 25 minutes from this post.

So the post will be released at 00:30 cest?

gossi

Late to the party... has PSVR support been ruled out?

Or are we convinced it is a multiplayer patch?

The game struggles to reach 30fps on PS4 lots of the time, so how it would run on PSVR (which needs 60-90fps) I don't know. They've not suggested VR in press, OTR or in the ARG.

Top Bottom