• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is interesting;

'In several informal Q&As that followed, Anashel, the lead puppetmaster of Alice & Smith, confirmed that the remaining cassette tapes and glyphs are still in play. He also implied that although Waking Titan had concluded, the Citizen Science Division will still have a role to play. The ETARC forums will be changed to act as a forum for the Citizen Science Division, and will be kept online. Links to the informal Q&As can be found here. '

Alice and Smith ran the ARG

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So did the ARG end or did just this part of it end? Seems like it didn't really result in anything being revealed other than a screenshot and them telling us to wait for a statement about what's coming next, am I missing something?

JoeBoy101

I keep wanting to play the game but keep holding off for whatever ARG holds. At this point if ARG leads to nothing but a "Happy 1 year anniversary" I would be fine.

I just want to play!

Right there with you. I really want to get started again, but want the update to drop first.

wetflame said:
So did the ARG end or did just this part of it end?

Part of it. It seems like a message from Sean Murray will be coming 'soon' and that will likely pin down better what we can expect in terms of update and/or timing.

But who knows? Officially, they have been VERY quiet. The only information we got is through the ARG.

So did the ARG end or did just this part of it end? Seems like it didn't really result in anything being revealed other than a screenshot and them telling us to wait for a statement about what's coming next, am I missing something?

I think the ARG did not end (as evidene we still have 6 glyphs, and a bunch of loose ends left), but they sent the email last night telling us to expect something today, because there was a lot of turmoil in the chat. I'm guessing this marks a transition to a more passive phase of the ARG.

I'm personally hoping that they roll out the update sometime this week, and the remaining puzzles are hidden in the game.

I own game and enjoy it but to say it was missing a few features is just wrong. It is not the game the Sean went on tv saying it was.
Also wasnt saying you just pointing out how some will defend Hello Games. I remember the excuses people posted in the OT.
I could care less about multiplayer. I also want warp to another galaxy to be more then just a loading screen like originally stated.
I would say it was missing a few features is fair enough, I mean I'm sure there are a lot of small things too but the main things that are always brought up are:

Multiplayer
Sandworms/huge animals
Planet rotation

All the other things people routinely complain about are mainly aspects of the game that they just don't like and not missing features.

That's why I think even if the game came out with all the features originally advertised you would still have just as many people complaining about the game. Instead of the focus being mainly on Sean 'lying' it would instead just be that the game was shit and overhyped. The missing features really wouldn't change the core game, I mean multiplayer would add something but the core game would be the same.

Your point about people defending hello games no matter what feels extremely disingenuous. I have always found the games defenders to be the rational and grounded responses to the game, compared to the haters who are mostly full of unnecessary hyperbole and venom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6sdemz/amazing_discovery/

Pretty cool find that might mean something. Apparently playerIDs in the ARG (or something im not sure) only have the characters 1-9 and A-F and you can match those to the glyphs. Portals might be some connecting feature.
I'm wondering if the portals will allow you to jump into a friends game together or both of you to a new universe.

That way it's not full blown multiplayer and can be a little easier to manage for a small team.
not a dev so maybe it makes no difference

Moreche

I think the portal will allow us to visit any planet but for me that's uninteresting. I need a more compelling reason to visit other planets.
I have come to accept that NMS is not for me anymore as it'll never be the game I want it to be.

I think the portal will allow us to visit any planet but for me that's uninteresting. I need a more compelling reason to visit other planets.
I have come to accept that NMS is not for me anymore as it'll never be the game I want it to be.

Maybe... wait for patch notes before being a downer? They're teasing something big here, why be pre-disappointed?

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Your point about people defending hello games no matter what feels extremely disingenuous. I have always found the games defenders to be the rational and grounded responses to the game, compared to the haters who are mostly full of unnecessary hyperbole and venom.
Look at the E3 video that is still on the data file on the disk. Tons of stuff not in the game. Never stating that stuff was removed from the game. Heck he went on Colbert talking about the game before release and talked about stuff that ultimately would not be in the game.

Also about people defending the game, hell I remember people stating we should cut hello games slack for the lies because game development is hard.
I think we got off topic enough.

Damn double post. Shows I should be working instead of posting from my phone.

Also about people defending the game, hell I remember people stating we should cut hello games slack for the lies because game development is hard.

How is this not a sound argument? Small, less advertised features got cut because game development is what it is. That is not lying. That happens all the time in other studios.

"Multiplayer" missing is something that I can agree on in this regard, especially since it was tried out but HG evaded explaining it.

As others have said, I'm personally hoping for some kind of graphical upgrade for the planets and animals we encounter, some more alien style ambient sound effects would be nice also, and simply more reason to travel from one place to another.

Personally multiplayer is at the bottom of my list mainly due to having a very small chance I'd actually convince any of my friends to boot the game back up again and play it.

Fingers crossed really.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
How is this not a sound argument? Small, less advertised features got cut because game development is what it is. That is not lying. That happens all the time in other studios.

"Multiplayer" missing is something that I can agree on in this regard, especially since it was tried out but HG evaded explaining it.
Small things missing.....

Planet rotatation
No creature acts like they do in the videos
Warp is just a loading screen
Video made it seem like you could have a wing man.
You can meet other people just extremely rare
And many more to lazy and don't care enough to look up the list
Maybe small to you, but important to some.
This is my last post on this in this thread.

Cth

It should have been a nobrainer from the start since all multiplayer requires PS+ and it was always known it would not require PS+ to play.

Anyways, plenty of other threads to dig up if people want to keep digging up the past. Looking forward to finding out what's in store for the next update.

UCBooties

As others have said, I'm personally hoping for some kind of graphical upgrade for the planets and animals we encounter, some more alien style ambient sound effects would be nice also, and simply more reason to travel from one place to another.

Personally multiplayer is at the bottom of my list mainly due to having a very small chance I'd actually convince any of my friends to boot the game back up again and play it.

Fingers crossed really.

Yeah, I'd like to see improved planetary generation with more weather variation, more architecture, possibly settlements or points of interest. One trailer showed a crashed freighter and I'd love to see something like that eventually in the game.

I also want meaningful factions improved flight. More to do in space would be nice...

Small things missing.....

Planet rotatation - Yes, one of the bigger things
No creature acts like they do in the videos - They do, not sure what you mean
Warp is just a loading screen - What's supposed to happen travelling through empty space?
Video made it seem like you could have a wing man. - No.
You can meet other people just extremely rare - Addressed already

But alas, we again have reached a point where it's derailing the thread.

Yeah, I'd like to see improved planetary generation with more weather variation, more architecture, possibly settlements or points of interest. One trailer showed a crashed freighter and I'd love to see something like that eventually in the game.

I also want meaningful factions improved flight. More to do in space would be nice...

Something like an inter-system bounty hunt system would do wonders for replay-ability.

As limited as the ship combat is I'd totally be down to recruit some AI wingmen (The AI ship flying tech is already there, just your allies do 0 damage for some reason), and go around the galaxy fighting pirates.

You could even add some proc-gen to the missions to keep them fresh, sometimes you're ambushed at the destination, sometimes you find a super tough ship, sometimes you have to protect a freighter on its way to a safe zone, etc.

Moreche

I still remember that first E3 video and how much off the mark this game is.
The trailer made the planet surface look like there was this whole ecosystem of creatures living together and yet it's nothing like that.
But I blame myself for that because that's how I personally saw the trailer and HG never really told us what was happening.
I would prefer a honest book detailing what really happened rather than any more additions to the game because I just can't see it being the game I thought it would be.
I get the feeling that their dreams were bigger than what was possible.

Can al this "they lied" shit stay out of this thread please?
Every time the thread updates I think there's news, only to be met with this same old bullshit.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Can al this "they lied" shit stay out of this thread please?
Every time the thread updates I think there's news, only to be met with this same old bullshit.

Wish this was a sticky. Makes a great ignore list filter though.

So is it true that the HelloGamesTube YouTube channel banner was updated? I looked as recently as yesterday and while the image looks different, I can't say for sure that it is.

Saganator

Ugh, I keep seeing this thread at the top and click to see if there was an update, but nope, just someone's opinion on the game. Wish someone would bump the OT so people can shit that one up instead of this one.

jond76

Banned
Wish this was a sticky. Makes a great ignore list filter though.

So is it true that the HelloGamesTube YouTube channel banner was updated? I looked as recently as yesterday and while the image looks different, I can't say for sure that it is.

Yes the banner was updated. But just to a previously seen concept art.

I'm wondering if the portals will allow you to jump into a friends game together or both of you to a new universe.

That way it's not full blown multiplayer and can be a little easier to manage for a small team.
not a dev so maybe it makes no difference

The "ghosts" multiplayer would be perfect.

You can see other characters just like you see other spaceships or races, but you can't really interact with them.

Though, I was going to say no PvP, but seeing a spaceship from another player and not being able to shoot at it would cut immersion, I guess.

Anyway, if they can keep it simple regarding MP (if there is anything at all regarding MP lol) it's better. No need to be a full fledge MMO

Gusy

To be fair, I have put at least 200 hours on NMS, which means I like it a lot despite its flaws. The thing that bothers me the most is that they broke all possible immersiveness in the game with questionable (in my opinion) design choices.

They claim a galaxy-sized playground, but by separating the ¨Solar system box¨ from the rest of the ¨galaxy¨ it immediately breaks immersion. The galaxy map is nothing more than a glorified randomizer of the ¨Solar system box¨. It generates little colored dots that represents different values for the box. It plays with the concept of distance between stars, but its just a numerical value, there's not a visual representation of distance.

Then those flaws are magnified inside the solar system box. The immersion is broken even further because now you are actually playing. The biggest offenders are the planets themselves. They consist of textured spheres that swap the texture with the terrain generator when you are close enough. I really think that the transition from outer space to atmosphere should be much smoother than it is right now. The planets right now might as well be place-holder sprites. All they do is visually indicate where the terrain generator starts.. and maybe the kind of terrain, weather, etc. to expect.

Then they restrict you to the box and don't allow you to ¨get out¨ of it by flying. The sun is nothing more than a placeholder light source. They don't let me crash into it. I think It really doesn't matter if that adds anything gameplay-wise, but those details are super super important to allow your mind to really get lost in that universe. Then you have the hand-holdy flight model of your ship inside planets. Can't get close to the ground, can't crash into terrain, stars in the sky are a skybox.... All those things end up hurting the game in my opinion.

Sean says that he's not making Elite..but come on! There's an obvious middle ground, a sweet spot between Elite realism and whatever NMS tries to be.

I'm not even getting into the procedural generation and lack of assets variability in each planet..

If only NMS and Space Engine made love and had a baby...

Portals, sweet! New ships, awesome! 4th race, nifty!

This is all sounding great.

If they also add in the ability to warp your entire base from one planet to the next, I'll be super pumped when this update arrives.

Septimius

I haven't played the game in a literal year, and I started playing again to catch up on the updates before the august update comes. I have high hopes for it. The base building is a really welcome addition to the game. It gives you that home to venture out from. It really makes the pacing of the game. Before, your ship was that home, but it was a sorry excuse for one. There would be no place to return to with the spoils of your adventures. Given how useless the quest to reach the center of the universe is, I stopped playing once I got all the upgrades and a big enough ship. I jumped towards the center for some hours, then stopped playing altogether. Coming back, I've spent way too many hours the last week building a base, doing all the quest lines of the people in your base. Having done them all, I'm kind of saddened to see that it all kind of was for its own purpose. Now that my base is built, the only thing it is lacking is a trade portal, and I can just get ships to land if I want. Again I sit there with a feeling of "now what?"

Coming back, I've come to forgive NMS for some of its mistakes. Having a base, I kind of enjoy the planets not rotating. It means I know that on this moon, the planet will always be just there on the horizon where I want it. It would, of course, be something completely awesome to have actual working orbits, with the view changing, but whatever. I've come to realize that the planets have no alignment or rhyme or reason. I lament that the view of a planet gives absolutely no indication from space how the planet is actually going to be, though.

I hope they continue to add the play loop. The base building was a nice addition, but it's no good goal, especially when it's so restricted to size. If I could keep building forever, I'd have something to engage me to get more resources. Now I'm farming the winter plant to get enough plants to make a buttload of money fast, so I can get a freighter.

I'd be surprised if the video or whatever it is of Sean Murray will be released after he's in bed in the UK. You'd figure he'd want to judge the reaction of it by people.

I'm gonng say we'll see something in the next 3 hours or so. Based on absolutely nothing.

JoeBoy101

I would prefer a honest book detailing what really happened rather than any more additions to the game because I just can't see it being the game I thought it would be.

What the shit?!?

This is some deluded craziness here. You would rather have some post-mortem on the game's development instead of the game being expanded and improved upon what it was on release because it will never meet your pre-release expectations?

Also posting to fake out the thread watchers. :p

Jeremy

Now that would be interesting... marketing and promotion for Sean Murray's unannounced upcoming novel, "I Should Have Done It: The Story of No Man's Sky".

I received the mail at 03:35 BST, which links in with other people.
The new mail could be scheduled to be sent out, don't think 'SM' has to be there to click send, so can be after bedtime if he is in the UK.

Thanks. Seems like kind of a strange drop considering the UK time.

The ARG company, Alice & Smith, that sends out the Old Gods emails and runs the whole Waking Titan ARG is based in Montreal, CA, which is EST.

So, EST times makes sense. They probably do a lot of stuff when Hello Games are asleep or not even paying attention.

Sean probably told them earlier in the day to end Waking Titan and tell everyone he'd be releasing his own memo. The emails probably went out when Sean was fast asleep. It would have been 3:30AM in the morning UK time.

I think it'll be around Midnight in the UK to line up w/ the anniversary of the game. Here's hoping the patch is up midnight EST, or tomorrow during the day.

Top Bottom