• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

Trouble

Banned
Some of NMS mechanics seems ripped straight from Out There:
- crafting with atoms and blueprints
- ship's slots that can be used for cargo or upgrade
- learning alien languages

In addition, the fact that all talks about VR have been completely occulted from all the previews is a bit suspicious...

First thing I thought of when they talked about learning alien languages.

I love Out There, so I have no problem with this.

Exile20

Why did you put game in quotes?

Because game can mean literally a game which yes it is but I meant game as in content, things to do etc. Just having a world to explore is not enough for me. That can get stale. If the game strikes your fancy then that is a great.

The person that did the preview seems to feel the same way.

Why did you put game in quotes?

Because everything that doesn't abide by a certain formula clearly isn't a game, duh. Adventure "games", David Cage "games" oh and indie "games" of course.

edit: Exile20 it's clear that the game isn't for you, that's fine. .But don't discredit it's validity as a game.

Because game can mean literally a game which yes it is but I meant game as in content, things to do etc. Just having a world to explore is not enough for me. That can get stale.

That's fine, but making an exploration game is a perfectly valid product. And the 'content' is the infinite universe at hand.

Because game can mean literally a game which yes it is but I meant game as in content, things to do etc. Just having a world to explore is not enough for me. That can get stale. If the game strikes your fancy then that is a great.

Things to do like trading, space combat, being a pirate, fighting robotic space cops and fighting off predators, researching new tech, working with or against factions?

"Just having a world to explore is not enough for me". Good, because there's a lot more to do.

Edit: Takashi Beat.

Bit of a bummer if the PS4 version is 30 fps. Mainly because in previous trailers they have shown the game running at 60fps, and many had hopes this would be PSVR compatible.

Exile20

That's fine, but making an exploration game is a perfectly valid product. And the 'content' is the infinite universe at hand.

Finally is post without the snark. Took a few post.

Now you put content in quotes. Just having a world is not content enough for me. Content means more than just the world for me.

Will wait till release when people get more than 30 min with the game but definitely not say 1.

bombshell

I added these quotes from the PS Blog article.

“Say you were to go into a farming building, and there are some instructions on the wall written in an alien language telling you how to run the machinery. You could make sure you have the necessary language skills to make sense of it, or you could just run up to the console and randomly press buttons. Take the latter approach and the sign could read, ‘DEFINITELY DO NOT PRESS THE RED BUTTON”, and you wouldn’t know it. That’s fun to me!”

“Some of the languages – well, one in particular – is much harder to learn than the others,” Sean adds. “I think it will probably only be possible for people to decipher some of the dialogue by working together online.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...erse-with-lore-language-and-intelligent-life/

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Holy convoluted sentence Batman!

But, just by reading the previews there is definitely more to do than just explore worlds.

I mean it is fine that you think it will be boring, but being derisive of how NMS is not a "game" really hurts any argument you have towards it.

Exile20

But, just by reading the previews there is definitely more to do than just explore worlds.

I mean it is fine that you think it will be boring, but being derisive of how NMS is not a "game" really hurts any argument you have towards it.

Really? You actually typed that?

Anyway, am I miss reading here? Taken from someone who actually played the game
No Man’s Sky has a beautiful galaxy to explore said:
A big argument against No Man’s Sky is going to hinge on the $60 price point and I think in terms of the work that’s gone into it, it’s absolutely worth that price. Aesthetically and technically it’s a massive achievement, and if you like the idea of exploring an infinite galaxy at your own pace then I couldn’t recommend it enough. If you were expecting an actual game under all of that framework though, you might, like me, be entirely disappointed.

Maybe I am completely off. I could admit that but from what I saw it doesn't seem so. Will wait for more.

Elandyll

Banned
Both above and below

Some seas can be very deep, yes, and they can get dark. Maybe you’ll find certain creatures down there, and other things besides – you’ll have a light on your suit that’ll help you see. But these places are likely to be dangerous. One of my favourite things, that never gets old for me, is that feeling when I find some underwater caves. There I am supposed to be testing the game, and suddenly I’m distracted 100 meters deep in a cave discovering new creatures and running out of air.

I was already very sold on the game, but this right here was my only unknown (the seas we've seen until now were super shallow).

I consider myself super-sold right now.

One worry: limited air supply to explore. I hope upgrades eventually render this a minor concern or give plenty of time

Am I miss reading here? Taken from someone who actually played the game

Then we'd tell that person the same thing.

Am I miss reading here? Taken from someone who actually played the game
Okay? That's one person. Did you see the other people that discuss the other things you do in the game besides exploring?

Or does a game need a story and distinct missions/objectives to be an actual game?

Exile20

Okay? That's one person. Did you see the other people that discuss about the other things you do in the game besides exploring?

Or does a game need a story and distinct missions and objectives to be an actual game?

Actually yes for me, I like those things in my game. I know people are stressing on the game in quotes thing but I do like structure. I have played games like that and it didn't keep my attention long at all. That is all.

People seem to love the game so I will not derail it more.

Actually yes for me, I like those things in my game. I know people are stressing on the game in quotes thing but I do like structure. I have played games like that and it didn't keep my attention long at all. That is all.

And that means you can call them techdemos because?

Trouble

Banned
Also not games:
Minecraft
The Long Dark
Stranded Deep
Terraria

These have all been cited by Sean Murray as being inspirations.

Akronis

It's fine that the game doesn't look interesting to you, but questioning whether or not it's a game is kind of a shitty thing to do.

Venom Fox

Banned
No one did tho, everyone read the same first post as me. Anyway I am done here. It is just my opinion.

Thread derailing can get you banned. We know your stance on this game and that a game is only a game if it's got a story.

I think it's time to leave tbh (only saving you from getting banned mate).

Edit: I also don't agree with what you said... this is a game, it's a gamey game, it's the gameiest game you will ever game.

CHC

Are there are any screenshots or footage of NPC interactions? Super interested in that stuff - certainly didn't expect it.

Elandyll

Banned
A ton of the criticism of No Mans Sky (if not most), including the "what do you do in it?" one can be summarized by this:

"NMS is not the game I want it to be, and I don't understand why others are excited by it."

Maybe I am completely off. I could admit that but from what I saw it doesn't seem so. Will wait for more.

This game will not be for everyone. I think, as others have mentioned, it's going to be a very divisive game, where some people glom onto it, while others bounce off it, wanting more structure.

For me a good progression along with interesting gameplay systems is enough, and things like being able to hack into landing pads and craft ship beacons means that there will be more gameplay systems than what we've seen so far.

Venom Fox

Banned
I thought Eurogamer revealed that there was a narrative behind the game? These previews have me excited, even more so than the reveal. Hello Games keep on revealing more and more stuff to do!

But the game does have structure, even if it's not stated. If you want to get to the center of galaxy, you need better ships and equipment. If you want better ships and equipment, you need to go to planets and gather resources and trade and buy (or steal). If you want to be able to get better resources and survive on more dangerous planets to get rarer more valuable resources, you need better tech. To get better tech, you need to outfit yourself properly and get/do X. So when you land on a planet, getting or doing X is your objective.

Just because it's not stated, doesn't mean the game doesn't naturally have structure. Just like if you wanted to be a pirate in E:D, you'd need to follow a general roadmap of doing odd jobs to get better equipment and a better ship, then changing your loadout to attack the ship you've made your target.

If the game specifically told you "Mission 1: Travel to planet X" "Mission 2: Gather 10 of X material". Mission 3: Go to the space station, trade X for a better engine", would your concerns be assuaged?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I did really type that, yes.

You are just taking one person's opinion that matches with your own perceived notion of this game and ignoring all the others. Really, the game is not for everyone, just like The Witness.

Has there been any PC footage yet? Any confirmation on Vive VR support?

I preordered a vive and am trying to only buy games that have or will have VR support for the time being. My wallet is giving me the silent treatment.

Also not games:
Minecraft
The Long Dark
Stranded Deep
Terraria

These have all been cited by Sean Murray as being inspirations.

I've always been a little jealous of people who are able to get into games like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm glad I'll have my own version of that soon enough.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There's probably quite a bit of "game" here. People acting like this is some kind of walking simulator.

I don't put too much stock into the 30 minute previews, the first 30 minutes I played of Evolve or Star Wars Battlefront I thought "this is amazing." But after the first few hours I saw cracks. Even so, a 30 minute impression is better than the 0 minute impression most people here have.

Will this be a 6/10 or a 10/10? I have no idea, but I'm open to trying this game out and giving it a fair shake.

I've always been a little jealous of people who are able to get into games like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm glad I'll have my own version of that soon enough.
Didn't like Terraria that much, but I was surprised how much I liked Minecraft.

The thing to do IMO is to set your own mini goals. Going to build a home. Going to explore north, need to be back before dark. Going to go spelunking, need to make sure I have food, equipment, and can set up base camps underground. Etc., etc. I never played it just to create, always have a purpose, even if it's just "I'm going to explore in that direction today"

Exile20

But the game does have structure, even if it's not stated. If you want to get to the center of galaxy, you need better ships and equipment. If you want better ships and equipment, you need to go to planets and gather resources and trade and buy (or steal). If you want to be able to get better resources and survive on more dangerous planets to get rarer more valuable resources, you need better tech. To get better tech, you need to outfit yourself properly and get/do X. So when you land on a planet, getting or doing X is your objective.

Just because it's not stated, doesn't mean the game doesn't naturally have structure. Just like if you wanted to be a pirate in E:D, you'd need to follow a general roadmap of doing odd jobs to get better equipment and a better ship, then changing your loadout to attack the ship you've made your target.

If the game specifically told you "Mission 1: Travel to planet X" "Mission 2: Gather 10 of X material". Mission 3: Go to the space station, trade X for a better engine", would your concerns be assuaged?

That guy Venom Fox is calling a ban for me so tell me if I am truly derailing the thread because everyone is focused on me and people seem to love the game, tell me.

Anyway your post proves my point. If I want to do this, if I want to do that. Personally ye those types of games don't last long pass the awe of the world unfortunately. It might seem simple but I am just not the kind of guy to get lost in a world like that. It doesn't have to be exactly stage 1, 2, 3, etc.

I apologize for the game vs techdemo and mean no disrespect to the devs, it looks like a lot of work. I used the quote from the guy who used the words, actual game and framework.

Will keep an open mind when the game is actually released but I am not preordering.

Trouble

Banned
Didn't like Terraria that much, but I was surprised how much I liked Minecraft.

Personally, the thing to do is to set your own mini goals. Going to build a home. Going to explore north, need to be back before dark. Going to go spelunking, need to make sure I have food, equipment, and can set up base camps underground. Etc., etc. I never played it just to create, always have a purpose, even if it's just "I'm going to explore in that direction today"

Minecraft did eventually add an (entirely optional) endgame goal of sorts with the ender dragon. So NMS is actually launching with more of an endgame goal than Minecraft did.

I found it interesting that one of the previews mentions NPCs being able to give you access to missions. I'd always assumed that there'd be an over-arching narrative, but that the progression would be very much determined by the player choosing tasks in a more free-form manner, namely upgrading the ship and the like, to get to the centre of the universe.

It feels like there's a lot of info out there, but for everything we learn there are more questions.

spookyfish

Exploring space, space stations, landing on, exploring and taking off from gorgeous alien worlds as I try to survive and make my way to the center of the galaxy. I can't really expect more than that. It should be hours and hours of mystery, beauty, danger and fun.

As someone who just enjoyed driving around Vice City/San Andreas/Wherever with the radio on, I can't wait for this either. Pure exploration sounds like my cup of tea.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Look at Dark Souls. Is "ring the bell" any more of a direction than "get to the centre of the universe?" Does dark souls have cut scenes, mission items, levels?

Dark Souls is pretty much, go where you want, search for upgrades, get stronger, explore, reach objective. No one is telling you where to go, what to do, and you only have some vague direction, and no one is telling you explicitly about the world and what the goals are.

You're a hollow. What is that exactly? You have to ring a bell. Why?

We've seen obelisks and beacons in NMS. I imagine it's like Dark Souls. If you want to read the inventory descriptions in Dark Souls, you can, and you'll learn about the world, but if you choose not to, then Dark Souls isn't much of a "game" because it doesn't have a "point" if you look at it from the outside.

Jabba

Banned
That guy Venom Fox is calling a ban for me so tell me if I am truly derailing the thread because everyone is focused on me and people seem to love the game, tell me.

Anyway your post proves my point. If I want to do this, if I want to do that. Personally ye those types of games don't last long pass the awe of the world unfortunately. It might seem simple but I am just not the kind of guy to get lost in a world like that. It doesn't have to be exactly stage 1, 2, 3, etc.

I apologize for the game vs techdemo and mean no disrespect to the devs, it looks like a lot of work. I used the quote from the guy who used the words, actual game and framework.

Will keep an open mind when the game is actually released but I am not preordering.

Venom didn't call for a ban, at least I didn't see it, he said derailing threads is bannable. Two different things. In his genuine concern of losing another member, s/he suggested you leaving the thread as to avoid a ban.
I could be wrong in the way I read things though. If so, apologies to all parties.

OT

I can't wait for this. Have also daydreamed of games like this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ps4 - relax with the sound turned up and explore from the sofa

PC - maybe more likely to get VR support (?) and likely prettier.

Hmm. This does feel like a Ps4 game a bit. If I'm sinking hours into it my wife will get annoys if I'm hiding away in the spare room.

How does learning a language work in this game?

Does finding lore monuments "unlock" alien words in your actual Dialogue Texts in-game, making sentences more decipherable the more monuments you find?

Or do you have to actually write down and/or memorize the words all on your own and constantly refer to your own notes to translate language interactions?

DedValve

Banned
At work, trying to sneak these interviews where I can.

Do they mention the variety a single planet can have? I know that its going for psuedo realism in that 9/10 planets are barren and just like real life planets are usually just "x" planet (pluto being ice planet for example) but for planets with life will we have forests on one side but maybe an arctic on the other?

At work, trying to sneak these interviews where I can.

Do they mention the variety a single planet can have? I know that its going for psuedo realism in that 9/10 planets are barren and just like real life planets are usually just "x" planet (pluto being ice planet for example) but for planets with life will we have forests on one side but maybe an arctic on the other?

I'm curious about this too.

Do planets have hemispheres? Seasons?

Do they have arctic poles and tropical equators?

Do planets have moons?

Top Bottom