• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

I was sold on the concept before they even mentioned NPCs, learning languages, interactions, hacking, etc, so all the news from today's previews is just icing. Though the more layered the experience is, the better. Even more excited now after actually seeing the harsh environments.

I can't believe people still can't wrap their heads around an exploration game. If all the info we have available about NMS right now still isn't enough, maybe it's time to realize this game is not for you. And that's fine, not every game should be for everyone.

Mathieran

Banned
At work, trying to sneak these interviews where I can.

Do they mention the variety a single planet can have? I know that its going for psuedo realism in that 9/10 planets are barren and just like real life planets are usually just "x" planet (pluto being ice planet for example) but for planets with life will we have forests on one side but maybe an arctic on the other?

I'm pretty sure each planet only has one biome, but I could be wrong.

DigtialT

I hope the language thing isn't just a bar you fill, and when it fills you get the next level in that language and the only thing that changes is new items in the shop.

I can't wait for this. Have also daydreamed of games like this.
It's like seeing all my favorite sc-fi comic art brought to virtual life
black-science-temple.jpg
Prophet042INK002_003.jpg

I hope the language thing isn't just a bar you fill, and when it fills you get the next level in that language and the only thing that changes is new items in the shop.
How does learning a language work in this game?

Does finding lore monuments "unlock" alien words in your actual Dialogue Texts in-game, making sentences more decipherable the more monuments you find?

Or do you have to actually write down and/or memorize the words all on your own and constantly refer to your own notes to translate language interactions?
I'm hoping it'll be like Out There, where once you learn what a word means, the translated word will show up in text instead of the alien language.

But the PS Blog makes it sound more complex than that
“It depends how much you’re seeking it out. Even if it’s all you do, you’re definitely talking hours and hours of play to learn a language. But I think most players will never become fluent, unless it’s specifically something they’re seeking out"
“Some of the languages – well, one in particular – is much harder to learn than the others,” Sean adds. “I think it will probably only be possible for people to decipher some of the dialogue by working together online.

I'm curious about this too.

Do planets have hemispheres? Seasons?

Do they have arctic poles and tropical equators?

Do planets have moons?

Planets have moons. Though I'm not sure if they will revolve around the planets or not. They are certainly 100x closer than they would be in real life, to make traversal quicker and to give us more interesting, more alien skyboxes.

Planets do NOT have biomes, unless that changed recently. This part is more science fantasy, like Star Wars. The Ice planet, the desert planet, etc. Unknown if planets will have polar caps, but unlikely given the lack of biomes. Seasons? Don't believe so, but there will be weather, some that we're used to, some more fantastical and alien (and likely dangerous).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

So we just got information on content we didn't even know was in the game and you're already hoping 'it isn't' something? Can't we even have a few minutes of excitement before we start over analysing it?

It's starting to sound more like a fleshed out game now.

1. Need to find monuments to "learn" languages.
2. Need to learn languages to interact with NPCs.
3. NPCs can trade with you and offer you missions for rewards. (oh look, questing; purpose; work!)
4. NPCs can assist you and/or you can assist them in battles to build reputation.
5. Better reputation = better trades and more opportunities for upgrades to progress along through the game.

Oh look, we're finally getting information on WHAT YOU DO in the game!

Why did it take so long? The game launches in 3 months!

DigtialT

So we just got information on content we didn't even know was in the game and you're already hoping 'it isn't' something? Can't we even have a few minutes of excitement before we start over analyzing it?

No? Why would I wait to analyze info if it confuses me?

3. NPCs can trade with you and offer you missions for rewards. (oh look, questing; purpose; work!)
4. NPCs can assist you and/or you can assist them in battles to build reputation.
5. Better reputation = better trades and more opportunities for upgrades to progress along through the game.

The NPC info is new, but we've know everything else that the previews have talked about for months now.

Mathieran

Banned
Right now to me the only concern seems like is the feel of shooting/combat. Definitely not a deal breaker by any means, but would be a little disappointing if it wasn't very good.

But on the plus side, seems like combat can be largely avoided. I'm planning on being a scientist/explorer. I wouldn't mind having a second character that is more like a space pirate though, if the combat is good. I also wonder if being kind of a hybrid of scientist/pirate/resource miner is viable.

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
My guess is that language learning will be like Out There: at first alien language is sentences with meaningless words and as you interact with aliens and alien artifacts, some words in the sentences are translated, allowing you to understand the questions

3. NPCs can trade with you and offer you missions for rewards. (oh look, questing; purpose)

Because it wasn't done yet? They're a small team, it seems likely they didn't want to announce it until they knew they could make it work. And adding in NPCs with their own languages sounds like it would be a big undertaking. Questing is brand new, and something they had originally said wouldn't be in the game. It's possible feedback led to that inclusion.

Faction Reputation we've known about for quite a while.

DigtialT

My guess is that language learning will be like Out There: at first alien language is sentences with meaningless words and as you interact with aliens and alien artifacts, some words in the sentences are translated, allowing you to understand the questions

That sounds great, I hope that is how it is implemented.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No? Why would I wait to analyze info if it confuses me?

Some people respond by being happy they've got new information, others seem to find new information just more reasons to worry. If I said I was going to give you £5, you probably wouldn't immediately hope it wasn't going to be in £1 coins, you'd be happy you were getting £5. Let's see how it works and get more information before we start the possible negative/positive forum tug of war.

ghibli99

Personally, I think it's a smart way to go about it. Talk about all the things in the game too early and folks will likely lose interest because you've already revealed everything. These features are interesting to me, but not mindblowing... yet. I really do hope this game delivers. It was one of my top picks 2 E3s ago.

Joystick

Bit of a bummer if the PS4 version is 30 fps. Mainly because in previous trailers they have shown the game running at 60fps, and many had hopes this would be PSVR compatible.

That doesn't mean that it's not PSVR compatible. DRIVECLUB, for example, is 30fps but they have been demoing it at 60fps on PSVR. They just need to cut back on some graphical features.

DedValve

Banned

Ummm we've known about the "gamey" (even though if it was just exploration it would still be just as much a game as anything else) features for a while. There's even a post that was made long before this that put it all together.

So, do PS4 players inhabit the same galaxy or universe as PC players?

Or perhaps there is a PS4 galaxy and a PC galaxy IN the same universe?

Will we one day meet?

DigtialT

I understand what you mean but No Man's Sky deserve at least one day of us just accepting information without somehow turning it into a debate.

I don't understand what about my comment made it a debate, I was talking about my hopes for the game. And what do you mean "deserves" a day with scrutiny? No game gets that luxury, why would NMS be the exception?

spannicus

How will they get this to work with PSVR if its running at 30fps, thought PSVR needed 90fps? How are they gonna pull this off?

RiverKwai

How will they get this to work with PSVR if its running at 30fps, thought PSVR needed 90fps? How are they gonna pull this off?

It hasn't been announced for PSVR yet. Right now it's just a regular game.

A lot of people are just hoping they can get it up to 60fps (which is the actual threshold of PSVR) and that they announce it's compatibility later.

Mathieran

Banned
This is the game that would get me to buy PSVR day one, but it does seem very unlikely. Gonna keep my fingers crossed though.

spannicus

It hasn't been announced for PSVR yet. Right now it's just a regular game.

A lot of people are just hoping they can get it up to 60fps (which is the actual threshold of PSVR) and that they announce it's compatibility later.

As stated above. DriveClub is a 30fps game that has been demonstrated on PSVR.
I get that just wondering how they will downsize this game to pull off what they did with drive club. Hopefully it does make it to psvr just wondering what will we have to give up to get it.

Can't wait to encounter a black hole. I wonder if you can go all Interstellar and travel into one...

Or if the devs cut loose closer to the center of the galaxy and have like giant celestial space beasts traveling through the void

Trouble

Banned
Can't wait to encounter a black hole. I wonder if you can go all Interstellar and travel into one...

Or if the devs cut loose closer to the center of the galaxy and have like giant celestial space beasts traveling through the void

I will knock on all the bookcases.

I get that just wondering how they will downsize this game to pull off what they did with drive club. Hopefully it does make it to psvr just wondering what will we have to give up to get it.

If the game doesn't run at 60fps, then they'd have to reduce visual fidelity even further and decrease the terrain generation even further (pop-in) to get it to that point. But hopefully it will launch at 60fps.

RiverKwai

The game is still months out, right now what the devs are likely doing is optimizing for PS4. It's possible that they'll have the game running more stable and higher frame rate when it releases. If it comes out and it's still 30fps? That's when there will be questions.

If they needed to, I'd imagine downsizing will probably mean decresing the LOD.

I've had enough getting frustrated at playing competitive MP games the last while. I just want to explore this game and soak up all the different scenery and catalog the different speices and stuff. Just relax and enjoy it. All the other stuff you can do is just icing on the cake for me. Its going to be a really cool OT seeing all the different planets and animals other gaffers have discovered.

CHC

Not to be annoying but no is answering so I'll ask again:

Are there any screenshots / footage of the NPCs and interaction? That stuff sounds really cool!

Akronis

I've had enough getting frustrated at playing competitive MP games the last while. I just want to explore this game and soak up all the different scenery and catalog the different speices and stuff. Just relax and enjoy it. All the other stuff you can do is just icing on the cake for me. Its going to be a really cool OT seeing all the different planets and animals other gaffers have discovered.

It'll be "multiplayer" in that everyone will be sharing their experiences. More social multiplayer.

This is totally going to be an amazing relaxation game as well.

Carn82

PS VR has three display modes:
120Hz rendering (input), 120Hz display
60Hz rendering (input), 120Hz display.
90Hz rendering (input), 90Hz display.

If Hello Games can render the game at 60FPS; it should work with PS VR. but the 60/120hz mode isnt optimal because the temporal reprojection-stuff will create some issues in certain types of games (if I understood correctly).

bombshell

Not to be annoying but no is answering so I'll ask again:

Are there any screenshots / footage of the NPCs and interaction? That stuff sounds really cool!

I don't think there's any footage of that today, only descriptions.

It was possibly shown off to the press in private.

Sounds like it's gonna be a bit too open for me to enjoy... Then again I liked walking for miles in Minecraft survival mode more than anything else. If I hear about the planets being interesting and varied then I'll probably jump in.

I'm excited to find out how this game will ultimately be received here. It will be very interesting to see the aggregate GAF opinion a couple weeks after launch.

GhaleonEB

Didn't like Terraria that much, but I was surprised how much I liked Minecraft.

The thing to do IMO is to set your own mini goals. Going to build a home. Going to explore north, need to be back before dark. Going to go spelunking, need to make sure I have food, equipment, and can set up base camps underground. Etc., etc. I never played it just to create, always have a purpose, even if it's just "I'm going to explore in that direction today"

This is how Minecraft got it hooks into me. I'd played it a few times and never got into it. Then I gave it another go and found myself huddled in a small cave at night, as rain poured down, building a wall to keep monsters out so I could hang on until morning and find a place to build my house. From then on every day was a small goal or quest of my making. (Up to and including, let's excavate this entire underground fortress.)

That's how I'll be playing NMS, as well.

Reading the previews now, I'm really digging some of the systems that were not announced yet. Hacking terminal to steal a ship from the spaceport. Learning the language of a planet to interact with the NPC's. Blueprint trading.

Good stuff.

Jaagen

A little bit dissappointed by the tearing in the videos I've seen, but apart from the the game looks great. The style is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to playing it. Hopefully it is a decent PC port.

Top Bottom