• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Take preorders on E3 and release a week later? It's highly possible if they go the Apple release route.

There is this event going on well before E3:

sony-2016-playstation-vr-pressevent-gdc.png

RibMan

Super positive previews. It's sounding more and more like the real deal. Watching the Four Questions video from Giantbomb has me wondering what else the devs haven't revealed. I'm hoping we can play as bounty hunters and go after people with high wanted levels. Space police, basically. Also, I really can't wait to see the final wanted system in action. Is it interplanetary or does it go away once you can 'hide' on another planet -- sort of like how the system works in GTA i.e. hide out in a dark alley?

Finally! Info about the gameplay that I can get hyped by. Sounds great, like a good mix of all the past space exploration/trade/adventure games.

CHC

No, they only released a handful of new screenshots and one gameplay video.

I don't think there's any footage of that today, only descriptions.

It was possibly shown off to the press in private.

Ah too bad. But thanks. Looking forward to seeing that stuff, I certainly was not expecting those elements and I hope they're as cool as they sound.

I haven't followed everything with this game so I am not sure if this has been answered yet. Did he say if it was possible to play completely pacifist? I want to try playing with no gun and no weapons. Just trading and exploring. I am beyond stoked for this game.

Have they talked more about the Sentinels? We've only seen the drone type and the biped type.
I haven't heard anything. Im guessing the Sentinels are probably trying to stop you from reaching the center of the galaxy/universe and they change their appearance and get tougher as you get closer.

tr00per

I've been hyped for this game since the beginning.
My only question is have they really anticipated the amount of people that will be playing this?

What I mean is it would be terrible if we got to the center in just a few weeks. Will the systems still work with that many people? I really believe in their evolving vision of the game and it would be a shame for it not to turn out that way

And will the servers and the game be able to handle the player load? I mean this game has a lot of buzz and I know some people will probably pass on it because they don't think indie games should be full price (whatever) but it's happened to big AAA games too (mcc, Driveclub l, twisted metal, etc).

I am really looking forward to this. Will probably get day one on PC.

How come this is not coming to Xbox one anyway? Or am I not allowed to ask that?

Anyone else never plan on going to the center of the universe? This is a game that I never want to be hard. I mainly just want to relax, explore, collect things, slowly upgrade my ship, and then maybe inch closer every now and then.

I am really looking forward to this. Will probably get day one on PC.

How come this is not coming to Xbox one anyway? Or am I not allowed to ask that?

Sony probably paid up or provided more resources to keep it off of other platforms. No big deal, though. We're seeing the same thing with a few ID@Xbox games like Ashen and Cuphead and we're likely getting better games in the end.

The Chef

Sony probably paid up or provided more resources to keep it off of other platforms. No big deal, though. We're seeing the same thing with a few ID@Xbox games like Ashen and Cuphead and we're likely getting better games in the end.

I'm sorry what do you mean getting better games? Are you saying the X1 is getting better games?

ahh cool I can't decide if I want pc or the comfy big screen ps4, or both :D I was under the impression Sony didn't really pay to keep games off other platforms but this game was a great catch, looks amazing

Danlord

Have they talked more about the Sentinels? We've only seen the drone type and the biped type.

Not that I've seen, but I'm curious if there's going to be underwater Sentinels, protecting the sea creatures and such underwater, that'd be interesting.

The wildlife glimpsed here is great. The giant sandworm makes me wonder if there would be the potential for kaiju-sized creatures

zICT0Qp.gif

Not that I've seen, but I'm curious if there's going to be underwater Sentinels, protecting the sea creatures and such underwater, that'd be interesting.

I just hope the sentinels don't become completely overwhelming like the GTA cops do.

There should be some sort of safe-haven to hide in to lower our "wanted level".

If I want to conduct a planet-wide species genocide, I should be able to!

Well, mostly.

I'm sorry.

Not really.

spannicus

If the game doesn't run at 60fps, then they'd have to reduce visual fidelity even further and decrease the terrain generation even further (pop-in) to get it to that point. But hopefully it will launch at 60fps.

The game is still months out, right now what the devs are likely doing is optimizing for PS4. It's possible that they'll have the game running more stable and higher frame rate when it releases. If it comes out and it's still 30fps? That's when there will be questions.

If they needed to, I'd imagine downsizing will probably mean decresing the LOD.

PS VR has three display modes:
120Hz rendering (input), 120Hz display
60Hz rendering (input), 120Hz display.
90Hz rendering (input), 90Hz display.

If Hello Games can render the game at 60FPS; it should work with PS VR. but the 60/120hz mode isnt optimal because the temporal reprojection-stuff will create some issues in certain types of games (if I understood correctly).
Good stuff. Lets do it

I'm sorry what do you mean getting better games? Are you saying the X1 is getting better games?

No I'm saying the developers getting the extra resources for going console exclusive can make better games with those resources. "We're" was referring to all gamers and not just Xbox gamers. Sorry for the confusion.

ahh cool I can't decide if I want pc or the comfy big screen ps4, or both :D I was under the impression Sony didn't really pay to keep games off other platforms but this game was a great catch, looks amazing

I'm not saying they paid to keep it off of other platforms in this case. Hello Games actually took a blow when their studio was flooded so I imagine they needed funding to continue working on the game and make it as good as it could be. Sony in this case provides that money and gets an exclusive in the process.

Senoculum

It seems to offer a lot more than I initially gave it credit for. It sounds exciting, but I fear another Fallout 4 scenario where after the 40th hour, people will realize they've been doing the same thing over and over and will quickly abandon high praise.

I need to see how they've set up their UI, because having a looooong list of travelled solar systems is going to be annoying as heck. And as people will learn, halfway on their quest to the centre of the universe, the abandonment of structures and establishments may leave a sour taste.

I really hope they've figured it out.

LoveCake

I have been interested in this since it was revealed, I'm very un-decided on getting this though, it seems that to get the best out of it the player is going to have to invest a huge amount of time playing, not that this is a bad thing, but is there going to be enough to hold the players interest.

Hmmm

Why don't they just put out the full 30 min demo? Maybe saving it for e3 I guess...

At least with steam I can try it for two hours and return it if I don't like it.

It seems to offer a lot more than I initially gave it credit for. It sounds exciting, but I fear another Fallout 4 scenario where after the 40th hour, people will realize they've been doing the same thing over and over and will quickly abandon high praise.

I need to see how they've set up their UI, because having a looooong list of travelled solar systems is going to be annoying as heck. And as people will learn, halfway on their quest to the centre of the universe, the abandonment of structures and establishments may leave a sour taste.

I really hope they've figured it out.
What structures and establishments? There's no building in this

Calcium

Banned
It's great to see so many positive impressions. I've already preordered, can't wait to get my hands on this one.

The Game Informer preview is really good

In the immediate term, the gameplay loop focuses on staying alive long enough to continue your journey. Remember that -163 degrees Celsius planet? Well, you have a shield technology that slowly falls away as you explore the planet. To recharge it, you need more resources. But there are challenges inherent to finding them; as it’s not as simple as just picking some plant. You probably need a better weapon, and on this planet there are NPCs that you could trade with, if you could speak to them. If you find artifacts out in the world, or even just chit-chat with the various life forms throughout the universe, you can learn their languages and increase your ability to trade or purchase items.

In other cases, you may run across a refinery that has a locked door. You could hack that door if you have the right technology, but a good old fashioned gun will blow the entrance wide open. Whenever you attack anything on a planet or in space for that matter, you raise your wanted level
, much like in Grand Theft Auto. If you’re on a planet when that happens, it draws the attention of the sentinels, a self-replicating robot army. That means if you blow that door open, you need to get inside, download the plans for a new technology, and then get out of range and off the planet before the sentinels overpower you.

In my time with the game, I spent a lot of time wandering the surface of Bulari V, scanning animals and looking for resources. I built a grenade that could deform the world, which is useful for finding caves, but all I managed to do was dig a hole. I recharged my shield numerous times, one time in a bit of a panic. Bringing up the item creation interface doesn’t pause the game, which means you may sometimes be racing to complete the job as the cold of the planet tries to kill you. I managed to fight off death in time, and I also found a lot of artifacts and learned a lot of alien words, an experience I found oddly engaging.

After some time planetside, I hopped in my space ship and headed into orbit. I could have entered the space station, as they do have interiors. Instead, I decided to rob a space freighter and run to a far-off planet before the vastly more powerful fleet destroyed me. On this new planet I tried to avoid most of the indigenous creatures, but of course, one of them had to come after me; creatures become particularly aggressive at night. I shot and killed it with the mentality of kill or be killed. This brought the sentinels, who arrived to check out the situation. They didn’t attack because I didn’t start it, but they decided to follow me around for a bit while I explored the planet. Their presence certainly made the decision to blow something up a lot more difficult.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...ing-the-galaxy-firsthand-in-no-man-s-sky.aspx

It's very cool that the AI is smart enough to not punish you for self defense. I know there are other games that have wanted levels and even if you try to defense yourself your wanted level will increase.

I really hope they're not working on VR right now and are instead just optimizing the engine and ironing our bugs. I was hoping the delay wasn't for anything PSVR related, but some of the statements Sean has been saying makes me a bit more doubtful. I'd rather them be working on making the game itself better at this point rather than getting it to work on VR, but I know I may be in the minority on that.

The Game Informer preview is really good

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...ing-the-galaxy-firsthand-in-no-man-s-sky.aspx

It's very cool that the AI is smart enough to not punish you for self defense. I know there are other games that have wanted levels and even if you try to defense yourself your wanted level will increase.
I wonder if you can use that to your advantage. Do we know if there are humanoid/alien faction enemies to fight on land? Maybe if you're in battle with a group, you can let a predator attack you to draw the sentinels to your position and then maybe they'd attack the faction that's attacking you

Seems like every article I read has a little bit of doubt in it about the long term interest of the game:

I enjoyed my time with No Man’s Sky, but I will admit the controls are a little clumsy at times (though the team assured me they are still being perfected). I’m not sure how long I will want to explore these beautiful worlds searching and fighting for resources, but in my short time I couldn’t look away. I want to reach the center of the universe. I want to see what that vast sea of stars holds. It’s now up to Hello Games to find the balance between challenge and resource management so that the gameplay is as engaging as the amazing universe when it ships on June 21.

Glad I'm not the only one who shares this same concern.

Still looking forward to it though.

I didn't expect there actually being 3D modeled NPCs in there, discovering new words and topics and getting responses from these aliens, so it's all really a wonderful surprise to me. I'm getting sweet Protostar vibes from it all, and it's pretty exciting for me.

Also the previews looked at least slightly more tight visually, very thick grass, a very nice looking and quite different spaceship, more functional UI, most panels on the ship's cockpit now actually show something useful etc.

It's a shame there's no footage of the NPC interaction, but on the other hand I'm glad some of that will still be hidden 'till launch.

Though I wouldn't get excited so much again about this game, but here I am. :)

I got it. I was just making a joke because it sounded like Adam Jensen and I like the thought of Adam Jensen saying peanut butter.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've only read the Giant Bomb preview, but it made my heart sink a little more every paragraph. Maybe I'll be able to find a hook in it that I enjoy but hearing it's a resource management survival game was a severe disappointment.

I've only read the Giant Bomb preview, but it made my heart sink a little more every paragraph. Maybe I'll be able to find a hook in it that I enjoy but hearing it's a resource management survival game was a severe disappointment.
It's a survival game if you go to a planet that's inhospitable like the icy one they were one. But it's also a space combat/space sim-ish game with factions and means to be a trader or pirate or fighter and so on

Anyone else never plan on going to the center of the universe? This is a game that I never want to be hard. I mainly just want to relax, explore, collect things, slowly upgrade my ship, and then maybe inch closer every now and then.

I bought Minecraft when it first came out in 2009, I still play it weekly and I have yet to finish the game. I find it relaxing just to explore.

I can't wait to do that on a universe scale. I won't be able to stop myself from journeying to the Centre though

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's a survival game if you go to a planet that's inhospitable like the icy one they were one. But it's also a space combat/space sim-ish game with factions and means to be a trader or pirate or fighter and so on

That's where I'm hoping I'll find some gameplay hooks for me. I love space sims and action/combat games of that nature, but the idea of visiting all these fantastical places and then just Minecraft gathering resources on them breaks my heart. We will see. I'm trying to keep the vibes positive.

Top Bottom