• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Auctopus

So it's an "okay" game. Sadly, as this was hyped to Omicron Persei 8 and back, it might as well be a 1/10 to some people.

I've not bought the game yet. I'm playing it on PC and it isn't out until today anyway but I really wanted to see the reviews before I dive in. I think I align with what Eurogamer said the most. Ultimately I think it's a worthy thing to experience and talk about so I'll probably get it in the coming days. I love the polarizing review scores; it'll be interesting at least!

Polarized sounds right.

I 100% see and agree with all of the criticism. I am not a fan of crafting/exploration/procedural games like Terraria or Minecraft. But weirdly I keep putting in multiple hours-long sessions into No Man's Sky. By all rights I shouldn't be enjoying it, but I do. I can't really put my finger on why.

I said it in another thread, but I think the gameplay loop is more like Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley than Terraria or Minecraft.

Very divisive game. As expected. I'm personally enjoying the crap out of it. Sure, many of the world's can feel similar, but as the same time I'll find a fucking crazy ass world that's totally unique. I'm really enjoying the gameplay loop.

Its an even bigger time trap then Civilization. I played 8 hours on release day without even realizing, didn't even eat lunch.

Whompa02

all over the map but nothing unexpected.

Wasn't really hot on this game after the first few trailers. The first few trailers looked wonderful but the more the actual game was shown the less interesting it all looked.

Oh well. Maybe a game of this scale needed some more manpower and less 60 dollar price tag.

Plum

I'm 10 hours in and loving it, but the reviews don't surprise me at all.

Put it this way... It's a pretty terrible videogame, but as Eurogamer says, it's also "a unique work of engineering art to lose yourself in", and on that score it's a triumph and a masterpiece.

The thing is you've got to ask yourself whether that's worth $60? Procedural Universe and animal generation is nothing new so NMS's uniqueness have to come from the actual "game" part of it which, apart from the great art-style, isn't great and definitely isn't unique.

bennibop

I am in absolutely awe of the game, I believe it would be a landmark achievement for any studio to have developed this game and its near infinite universe. I can understand the polarising reviews as modern gamers tend to need hand holding a lot and it can be to big adjustment for lots of gamers to have no clear goals.

I also believe that reviews need to change to reflect modern gaming, a 1 - 10 scale for works for some games but games such as Overwatch, Destiny, Team Fortress 2 and NMS are long term services that potentially change month to month with new additions and updates.

I'm in agreement with the higher spectrum of scores on this one. If you're the type to wander and explore in videogames, then this game is for you.

So it's an "okay" game. Sadly, as this was hyped to Omicron Persei 8 and back, it might as well be a 1/10 to some people.

That's what hype does to people. They never learn to keep their expectations in check. Especially in this case.

Anth0ny

giphy.gif

knew this was spore 2.0 from day one. they promised way too much from the beginning, people were bound to be disappointed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My impression from going through the reviews to pull quotes is that it's essentially a Day 1 Early Access game like a dozens of survival titles you see on Steam.

Where I feel this runs aground is that it's a $60 full release instead of being sold digitally in Early Access for $20-$40 like most of those are.

Starbound was very problematic at the start of its Early Access, but 2.8 years later it came out with a 1.0 version that's reviewing very well.

I don't see much polarization. Some outlets are giving it 9s, but the big majority is giving the game average to low numbers. A game getting multiple 10s and 5s all over the place would be "polarizing", not this one.

Zojirushi

Oh man what?! I thought diversity in planets was was gonna be this game's biggest strength :(

I hate that feeling you get early on in a Bethesda game when you can immediately categorize every cave into style A, B, C or D.

I don't think critical scores will be much of a problem for this game (in terms of sales etc).

The creator admitted himself it will be divisive.

The biggest battle it faces is keeping those who have invested engaged with the environment through updates and improvements.

A game getting straight 7/10s tells a different story to one getting 4/5s and 8/9s. Such a unique release!

It's not really an "okay" game. The survival mechanics, the shooting, the item management, everything mechanics wise about the title is fairly poorly done.

Your enjoyment hinges on whether you can minimize/ignore those elements in favor of wandering around planets. That's why it's polarizing. Either you can ignore a very large series of problems or you cant.

The excuse is the day one patch, and it's a pretty good one, it changed a lot.
Seems like it wasn't enough to sway some people.
And I don't think we should be ok with a retail $60 game being unfinished either.
I imagine publishers would love to hold back reviews for certain titles, let's not give them excuses

Kssio_Aug

"There's a famous quote from mountaineer George Mallory, when he was asked why he would want to climb Mount Everest: "Because it's there." If that answer strikes you as profound and beautiful, go buy No Man's Sky. If it seems dumb and unsatisfying, go play something else."

The answer strikes me as profound and beautiful, but it really doesn't feel the same applying it to a [apparently] shallow game such as NMS. I mean, it's not fair to Mount Everest or any beautiful and majestical nature creation.

DDoS them all to hell! /jk

I honestly quite quickly realized that there seemed too little space combat, or only rudimentary space combat in previews and never really thought the scavanging on the planetary surfaces would keep me entertained. And I don't care about Eve Online-ish trading.

On the other hand. How did I enjoy Elite so much in the 80s?!

Maybe I'll get it heavily discounted, 15ish bucks or something.

Wingus

To me, the reviews confirm my fears. The criticism I hear is exactly what I hoped wouldn't end up happening. Very simplistic gameplay loop, little planetary variety, bad combat and limited interaction with the world around you.

Basically ocean wide but puddle deep.

This is my exact stance on the game as well.

I'll be holding off on getting this until a price drop. It looks pretty and I'm still interested in trying it out (no demo means I can't even do that), but not for full price it's going for.

All over the place as expected.
I barely have free time since I'm working and in school full time. This game is exactly what I needed. I get to have a beer, zone out and explore some crazy worlds with no real goal.
On the other hand, people who like their hand being held, having an end goal in sight, having a purpose or just having meaty and complex gameplay won't like this.
I love this game but neither of us are wrong.

Kaversmed

I can live with these reviews. I am currently enjoying the hell out of this game but I can understand why some would give it a 5/10.

Five step guide to enjoying No Man's Sky:

1. Get it on PC.

2. Download Cheat Engine.

3. Use Cheat Engine to remove anything related to inventory management and resource gathering so you can focus on looking for cool ass aliens.

4. ???

5. Profit.

That was actually my plan, the constant mining for stuff already looks very annoying in videos I have seen, I can imagine it takes away from the exploring because it has to be constantly on your mind. I'm probably waiting for a pricedrop with this game.

Asd202

I feel like this game was hurt from all the AAA marketing exposure. If it launched as an indie game at a lower price I think reviewers would have been easier on it.

giphy.gif

knew this was spore 2.0 from day one. they promised way too much from the beginning, people were bound to be disappointed.

I don't think they promised anything they didn't deliver on(aside from multiplayer). The blame here rests squarely on the hype train crowd who made their own assumptions as to what the game would be. Though Hello Games should get some flak for being so vague at times, I guess.

Holy. That Jim sterling review. It's exactly what a lot of us very reasonably figured this game would be. Peeps here gonna blow a gasket when they read that haha. All the years of thread arguing and denial and the game is exactly what I thought it would be.

That said, I've played about 2 or 3 hours and I'm ready to go back for more. They definitely delivered on most of their promises(multiplayer lol) but at the end of the day the experience seems shallow. The randomization is both cool and a drag. Once I've seen a few bird squirrels and lizard dogs it kind of sinks in that the lack of interestingly designed creatures is hurting the experience. Honestly, being able to encounter other players would elevate it from an average survival crafter to something special. Here's hoping it's still in the game, somehow.

This is nothing at all close to being a spore 2.0.

It's a bunch of technologically impressive creation tools with an underwhelming game attached. Just like spore, some people see enough value in marveling at the creature generators to forgive a lot of problems.

They're decently similar.

c0Zm1c

The Videogamer review quote really needs the last paragraph as well:
But, for that first ten hours or so, for that sliver of space-time where all of it is new, it’s quite brilliant. The design decisions you can point to as flaws are always at least understandable. It’s full of great ideas and great moments, regardless of how long it takes for you to get fed up of them. So while it’s difficult to give it a glowing recommendation, it’s impossible to hate. On balance, it succeeds – for just long enough to be worth going in.

Tagyhag

My impression from going through the reviews to pull quotes is that it's essentially a Day 1 Early Access game like a dozens of survival titles you see on Steam.

Where I feel this runs aground is that it's a $60 full release instead of being sold digitally in Early Access for $20-$40 like most of those are.

Starbound was very problematic at the start of its Early Access, but 2.8 years later it came out with a 1.0 version that's reviewing very well.

I'm interested to see what they add post-launch. They'd talked about all that extra content in the past.

I wonder if A. ALL of it will be free, or some free some paid. And B. If it'll just be basic new content and not actual gameplay changing additions to make the game way more deeper.

So far all we know about are the bases and the big ships. It'd be interesting if they started to add more variables for planets.

Seems like it wasn't enough to sway some people.
And I don't think we should be ok with a retail $60 game being unfinished either.
I imagine publishers would love to hold back reviews for certain titles, let's not give them excuses

Hey I agree, but at least this time they weren't just holding it for shits and giggles.

Remember when Naughty Dog thought The Last of Us was going to be hugely divisive and the scores would be all over the place?

This is probably what Hello Games was thinking, but in this case they were right.

Koh

I'm glad I tried it, because these reviews would have scared me off.

It's easily with my money, but I would be cautious about recommending it to others. You have to be driven by a specific set of motivators to enjoy it.

All in all, I think the reviews capture this, but the aggregate scores don't.

Sjefen

Wow scores all over the place, will probably dive inn when after they have released a ton of updates. I want to be a space pirat

sueil

This is what I was predicting months ago and it's my impression from watching streams as well. I'm waiting for my pc version to unlock and see if I like it. Starbound 1.0 did turn out real good in the end.

Top Bottom