• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

ElfArmy177

Dear hello games, here is a list of gameplay fixes for you.

1. Add a Pokemon style capture system - makes looking for aliens that much more fun, also allowing them to become pets.

2. Add procedural generated abilities to aliens.

3. Allow procedural generated weapons based off harvested abilities from aliens.

4. Add more "passive wildlife"

5. Allow ability to set up real camps and build bases.

6. Allow 3rd person camera.

7. Forget ps4 and use the steam workshop.... (Sorry)

The game was too ambitious for its own good. If they halved the amount of planets you can explore, I think it would've reflected better on the overall product.

Yes, 9 quintillion planets are much easier to digest than 18 quintillion.

It's not even "halving" the planets that's the problem, it's building a sufficient reason to continue playing once you've exhausted what the game has to offer, which in NMS's case, appears to be "not much."

so are we going to have a bunch of thread title changes like any DC movie with middling reviews gets

"as good as Dead Island: Definitive Edition"

As someone who played both, it's a very different situation. Both are shallow in areas but No Man's Sky mostly delivers on its main promise - which is exploring a massive procedural universe. The main issues are that the supporting systems are not incredibly deep or diverse. By and large the game arrived exactly as it was presented, the problem is that people expected/wanted more.

Spore failed on pretty much everything it promiaed, and even some stuff it didn't.

Spore delivered on its promise of evloving a race of critters up to space travel, it just wasnt a fun game to play in the meantime, similar to no man's sky.

Razorback

I think it was a mistake to bring this game into triple A status and price point. Should have been a $30 downloadable indie game which I'm sure was the original plan.

Looks to be very polarising so far. I don't think this game appeals to me, but I would understand why some will. I was expecting worse scores.

Tigress

Every generation needs a Spore.

How is this spore? Aside from whether we can see each other it pretty much did what the developer said. people building it up in their minds more than it is cannot be helped by the developer (he tried too).

EGOMON

My only hope is to see other capable devs take on this concept and deliver a complete package preferably Sony as they have first hand impression from NMS development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll just generally note that passive aggressively yelling at me for not picking up your favorite YouTuber or reviewer when I pretty obviously went through the reviews I easily found is a very bad way to give me any motivation to include the review you're linking.

I think Karak himself tried PMing the OP of the other thread and might want to say something but maybe one of these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213137982&postcount=3175

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213145818&postcount=3225

Thanks.

farisr

Upon reading some of the common positives/negatives in the reviews, it looks like my assessment of the game before cancelling the preorder was right. I'll pick this up digitally when it's around $20. Definitely not worth the $89 (or $72 after discount that I had it preordered with) to me.

Just doesn't provide enough of the things I look for in a game.

Ha ha ha man this game just brings out the best NeoGAF definitive statements.

"So it's pure garbage. Knew it, was too hyped"

Can't wait to play it, myself. You didn't have to know much about it to know that it was going to be divisive no matter what. It's right up my alley, though, and that's what matters.

Kimaka

Expected as much. I knew once the streams hit that NMS wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. If you're looking for a game with a harsh survival mechanic and a deep crafting system, don't bother with NMS.

As for me, I am loving it. When I played the alpha version of Minecraft, all I did was pick a direction and start exploring. Didn't bother with crafting besides the required house when enemies came. I loved how Minecraft just plopped you into a world and didn't tell you shit. There was a community being built around collectively figuring out how to craft certain items and showing off each others worlds. No Man's Sky is recreating that experience for me while providing leagues of more variety in creatures and environments. I do have some issues with the creature generation (some look too Frankenstein'd together), FOV, bugs, ship controls, but No Man's Sky is meeting my expectations.

How is this spore? Aside from whether we can see each other it pretty much did what the developer said. people building it up in their minds more than it is cannot be helped by the developer (he tried too).

Spore was a set of really cool creation tools with a barebones game attached that people considered intrusive and distracting.

That sounds pretty similar.

Scores seem exactly what I expected. The hype was too big.

Still looking forward to getting started tonight. Cruisin' around the galaxy, hell yes.

Zukkoyaki

What a polarizing game. Honestly though I feel games like this are very good for the industry as a reminder that people are allowed to have different taste and that it's okay to enjoy a game that's widely seen as merely "good" and not "amazing."

inki

VERY polarizing. Watch some game play, does it look fun to you? You'll probably love it. Look boring to you? Then don't play it.

Easy enough.

I'll buy it... eventually. I've got enough games to play right now. I think it looks fun but it's not "I need to drop everything I'm doing to play this now!"

I love what they've been able to do though and I applaud the achievement.

I'm still not sure why they didn't have these procedural planets built around a static branch of planets that could be approached from multiple areas.

Spawn each player in the outer galaxy and funnel them toward one of those outer branches.

STEaMkb

I'll just generally note that passive aggressively yelling at me for not picking up your favorite YouTuber or reviewer when I pretty obviously went through the reviews I easily found is a very bad way to give me any motivation to include the review you're linking.

Personally speaking, I have zero interest in this game and have no intention of ever playing it. But I'm genuinely curious what the benchmark is for YouTube reviews when there is a very, very deep pool to chose from.

I think it would be better if they are spun off into their own little subsection.

Spore delivered on its promise of evloving a race of critters up to space travel, it just wasnt a fun game to play in the meantime, similar to no man's sky.

Well I mean 'fun' is subjective here. So if we think both achieved what they promised then it's really just down to what people find enjoyable.

mokeyjoe

Crazy spread of scores :)

This is what happens when you try to do something different. I approve.

Eurogamer review gets it spot on.

Tobor

I've bought quite a few Steam early access games like this(Subnautica, DayZ, H1Z1...) and No Man's Sky is Much better than all of them, and certainly more polished than all of them.

Is it $30-40 better than them? IMO, yes, It's that much better. It will be worth even more if the promised future support works out.

That said, like all $60 Retail games, the $60 price is a day one price. If you are on the fence, wait a while and you'll get it cheaper.

I wouldn't pay full price for most $60 games.

Top Bottom