• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

The fact that I've already put in over twelve hours (with a single play session clocking in at 8 hours), I'm happy with it. I would have given it an 8. Maybe. I go through long stints of play until I'm absolutely bored and feel like I never want to play again, but then it's all I can think about doing when I'm at work.

Putosaure

I still can't wait to download it in a few hours on PC.

I love to get lost and watch surreal scenery, so I hope I'll like it.

My impression from going through the reviews to pull quotes is that it's essentially a Day 1 Early Access game like a dozens of survival titles you see on Steam.

Where I feel this runs aground is that it's a $60 full release instead of being sold digitally in Early Access for $20-$40 like most of those are.

Starbound was very problematic at the start of its Early Access, but 2.8 years later it came out with a 1.0 version that's reviewing very well.

At least hype generated sales + price should give Hello some cushion to continue working on the game. Unless they owe Sony for a marketing advance or something.

In a year, with mod and developer support this could turn into something close to the original vision. But for now the state it's in is a reality of 80% effort and work put into the engine and making it run and 20% effort for making it a game that's fun.

That said I still look forward to playing each night but I can foresee that expiring sooner than I hoped for. Such a shame since this was a game I had been greatly anticipating since it's announcement.

knew this was spore 2.0 from day one. they promised way too much from the beginning, people were bound to be disappointed.

What? The main question asked about this game even up to release was always, "What do you actually do?" Promising way too much and being too vague about what you do are kind of mutually exclusive concepts.

Even the high score reviews seem down on the game while trying to extoll its virtues. A lot of, "this is neat, but...". That Playstation Lifestyle review is embarrassing dedicating sections to telling off consumers for not being satisfied with what the game ended up shipping with.

Septic360

Banned
I am in absolutely awe of the game, I believe it would be a landmark achievement for any studio to have developed this game and its near infinite universe. I can understand the polarising reviews as modern gamers tend to need hand holding a lot and it can be to big adjustment for lots of gamers to have no clear goals.

I also believe that reviews need to change to reflect modern gaming, a 1 - 10 scale for works for some games but games such as Overwatch, Destiny, Team Fortress 2 and NMS are long term services that potentially change month to month with new additions and updates.

giphy.gif

edit- OMG its you from N4G! Ahah!

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

This is amazing. Hey man! Hope you're good :)

Looks good, 71 isnt bad and the reasons some people hate it are not a huge turn off for me. Guess I will find out tonight if i like it.

everyone do yourself a favor and watch the dunkey review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM&ab_channel=videogamedunkey

I had given my impressions enough already in the previous thread, but this review, sans it's initial loud antics, spot-on mirrors my experience with it.

Since the big question was what you do in this game, you do what was advertised, that much is true. The problem I have is that while everything they promised is indeed there (I think?), all the systems and interactions feel extremely stilted, shallow and amateurish. The flying and shooting mechanics especially feel extremely poor and paper-thin and no I wasn't expecting Killzone 2 gunplay or some shit obviously. I wasn't really expecting anything in specific and still felt surprised at how weak the systems were.

By the way. Just to look back to some of the earlier confusion throughout the years.

"What do you actually do in No Man's sky?" was the most asked question by people. And it never got properly answered. (Vague hints were given) It seems that the answer is "Not that much at all." You go from planet to planet and collect resources. That is basically it. You have simple combat and crafting on top of that.

taoofjord

I truly don't see how anyone could have expected much more than what we got. The bottom line is this:

• Procedural generation isn't new. It creates some interesting assets but more often than not, things rarely feel unique after a while and you'll never have the considered touch of something that's hand crafted.

• A small team of developers can only do so much, no matter how talented they are. Wherever they don't focus on suffers and with a game as ambitious as this, it's always should have been clear that the individual mechanics would never impress as much as other games that focus on a smaller set.

• The game will continue to grow from here. As such, it will only continue to get more interesting, more features, and more polish. This should be considered in the reviews. Just like anyone would if they were reviewing Minecraft back in the day. Whether you think the $60 price tag is justified or not (I believe it is), you can expect a lot of free updates down the road.

Personally, I think the game is okay. There's some really unfortunate design decisions, and a lack of "sandbox fun" that I expect Hello Games will improve on.

EGM1966

Divisive as expected. The good/great reviews are aligned with what I'm looking for and the lower reviews are complaining about a game I wasn't expecting it to be which is also fine as they don't concern me as a result.

Just need to get some solid PC context and I'm good to go.

Shame HG got caught up in the strange transition of NMS from smbitious indie/early access centric title to AAA Spotlight and struggled to cope as a result.

Price is also a factor as the game feels like it's going to grow over time and likely change which would have ruffled less feathers at a lower price point. If be interested to know if HG and Sony always felt it should be a top price title or made than decision based on hype and interest?

The game was too ambitious for its own good. If they halved the amount of planets you can explore, I think it would've reflected better on the overall product.

Brhoom

Banned
A review site saying this game isn't for everyone and giving it a 9 (with that execuse I can give any game 9 and say it isn't for everyone)

Seems to be a very divisive game both with critics and people I've talked to.

I still for sure want to play it but not until several patches / new features are added.

sense

not sure there is any reason to get upset. it is not like people expected 9's and 10's going in. so looks like it is not for everyone

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the 7 / 70% range is appropriate for this game. Will work for some, not for others. Everyone, everyone acknowledges the flaws. It only comes down to whether you like the experience despite those flaws.

Briarios

I absolutely love it ... haven't been addicted to a game in this way for a long time. But, I get why there would be people that aren't into it. I'd easily give it a high 9, but it's easy to understand how someone not into it would dismiss it as a bad game.

I'm enjoying the game a ton, but I think scores are exactly where they should be. It's definitely not a game for everyone. Not saying anyone is wrong or right, but it does cater to a certain crowd.

giphy.gif

knew this was spore 2.0 from day one. they promised way too much from the beginning, people were bound to be disappointed.

As someone who played both, it's a very different situation. Both are shallow in areas but No Man's Sky mostly delivers on its main promise - which is exploring a massive procedural universe. The main issues are that the supporting systems are not incredibly deep or diverse. By and large the game arrived exactly as it was presented, the problem is that people expected/wanted more.

Spore failed on pretty much everything it promised, and even some stuff it didn't.

Mula

"There's a famous quote from mountaineer George Mallory, when he was asked why he would want to climb Mount Everest: "Because it's there." If that answer strikes you as profound and beautiful, go buy No Man's Sky. If it seems dumb and unsatisfying, go play something else."

The answer strikes me as profound and beautiful, but it really doesn't feel the same applying it to a [apparently] shallow game such as NMS. I mean, it's not fair to Mount Everest or any beautiful and majestical nature creation.

This should be in the OT

Nzyme32

My impression from going through the reviews to pull quotes is that it's essentially a Day 1 Early Access game like a dozens of survival titles you see on Steam.

Where I feel this runs aground is that it's a $60 full release instead of being sold digitally in Early Access for $20-$40 like most of those are.

Starbound was very problematic at the start of its Early Access, but 2.8 years later it came out with a 1.0 version that's reviewing very well.

Spot on.

Glad I took the time to try the game with a friends PS4 copy before the Steam version came out . She has decided to sell hers and I cancelled my pre-order, where I assumed I could simply try the two hours prior to come to a decision on sticking or refunding. However, 2 hours wouldn't have been enough as I found. After 7 hours, despite adoring exploration games, it was clear that this game was devoid of inspiration, joy of discovery through variety / nuance, knowledge / lore depth / meaningfulness, emotive worlds creatures and alike. And then there is the abysmal sheer grind of the gameplay and flat survival mechanics of crafting. It's joyless; and for someone who adores exploration games, extremely saddening.

I'm sure they could develop it further and add content to make it so much more, but right now it isn't worth £39.99 or even £15.

I'm really enjoying the portrayal of those who don't enjoy it as "people who need their hand held." Lol
Yup after thousands of hours of play in procedural Survival games, rogue likes and milsims like arma I don't think you could describe me as someone who needs a guided experience.

0racle

The game was too ambitious for its own good. If they halved the amount of planets you can explore, I think it would've reflected better on the overall product.

It's just a number once you have assets made. They didn't spend time getting 18 quintillion planets, is just a mathematical result.

Plum

I would say this is true. A lot of shit is being thrown at it from the audience watching streams but those really don't convey the sense of wonder/exploration/scale that the player can experience.

Yeah, but you need to put up $60 to experience it which is a lot of money for most people. I think the significant barrier to entry for a game with fewer game mechanics than your regular DayZ/Minecraft Early Access game on Steam is way too high.

Unknown?

A review site saying this game isn't for everyone and giving it a 9 (with that execuse I can give any game 9 and say it isn't for everyone)

It's their opinion that it's a 9. If you're using that logic I guess The Last of Us and GTAV should have been rated a 6 because not everyone likes them?

This game would've been a perfect candidate for Early Access style development to get player feedback. In the end it may have helped iron out a portion of the flaws, especially with such a small team.

Top Bottom