• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

So many words just to talk something bad into something good. Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

Sooo there's absolutely no room for subjectivity in reviews? That kinds defeats the purpose for a lot of people.

Fbh

So some like it, others really liked it and others either didn't like it or weren't fully convinced.

No idea why this results are making some people in some places of the internet go crazy. Did they really expect this to get a metascore of 9.5?

Cfer

Neo Member
"Then again, No Man’s Sky is exactly as described by the eccentric Sean Murray"

What's eccentric about Sean Murray? Stop blowing hot air up this dudes ass.

killroy87

Id be fine with this if it was like $30-40. Right now oogling at pretty planets just isnt enough to justify a $60 price tag for me.

I look at things a bit differently. $60 or $40 wouldn't change how much fun I'm having, and wouldn't make me look at the game differently. I'm not disappointed at the lack of content becaus eI feel ripped off, I'm disappointed at the lack of content because it doesn't capitalize on its potential, and has an exacerbated negative effect because of how much exploration the game wants you to do.

I'd sum it this way:

Amazing Experience,
Average Videogame

My bullet points would be:
Great Concept
Beautiful Visuals
Awful Gameplay
Subpar Videogame

If I had to put a score on it, I'd rate it a 5.5 or 6/10 tops. A really great concept and noble idea that got carried away with itself and the 'videogame' part was left somewhere in the dust far below its lofty ideas.

I don't know if they're really going to work on this still when it's doing this poor critically and a lot of the community is feeling very sour on it.

really

I should have probably explained more! What I meant was when all the systems are working together (planet exploration, mining, and space combat) Had a fun encounter with 5 pirates that involved going down to a mountainous planet, ducking through close to the ground, and realizing that I had no resources to heal my shields. I ended up flying back into space and mined some asteroids that I knew had iron in them. Fixed my shields with barely any health left and took the last two pirates chasing me out. What I should have said when the game is at it's best. The soundtrack blaring at the same time was also a nice part of the whole experience.

A review site saying this game isn't for everyone and giving it a 9 (with that execuse I can give any game 9 and say it isn't for everyone)
You do realize that a score is a representation of how much that individual person enjoyed (or not) a game? It's not telling you how much you will enjoy a game

Odrion

Banned
Like I can't see anything short of a significant free expansion pack to drive sales, and Hello Games need to keep their lights on.

We'll see Joe Danger 3 in a year.

napata

For the Spore comparisons, Spore actually got an 84 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spore/critic-reviews

I do think it's a good example of how reviewer perspective has changed over the years though. 2008 was around the peak of reviewers feeling really good about just about everything.

These days, instead of Killzone 2 getting a 91 and Spore getting an 84, Killzone: Shadow Fall gets a 73 and No Man's Sky gets a 69.

This is a bad example because unlike Shadow Fall Killzone 2 was actually a good game. You make it sound like both are of similar quality and the difference in score is only a product of reviewers being harder on games nowadays.

I actually think 73 is still way too high of a score for Shadow Fall.

A review site saying this game isn't for everyone and giving it a 9 (with that execuse I can give any game 9 and say it isn't for everyone)

Absolutely not.

Heard of the fucking Dark Souls series? Not for everyone at ALL but damn are they good.

Like I can't see anything short of a significant free expansion pack to drive sales, and Hello Games need to keep their lights on.

You do realize this game is gonna sell like crazy right?

You do realize that a score is a representation of how much that individual person enjoyed (or not) a game? It's not telling you how much you will enjoy a game

This guy gets it.

like i can't see anything short of a significant free expansion pack to drive sales, and hello games need to keep their lights on.

I still think it will sell regardless of reviews. They are a small studio selling a $60 game. A few hundred thousand copies should be more than enough to keep the lights on.

I don't think most consumers bother checking metacritic

Odrion

Banned
This is a bad example because unlike Shadow Fall Killzone 2 was actually a good game. You make it sound like both are of similar quality and the difference in score is a product of reviewers being harder on games nowadays.

I actually think 73 is still way too high of a score for Shadow Fall.

Yeah Shadow Fall was a pile of trash while Killzone 2 was rad as all hell for a FPSer in 2008. Goddamn that multiplayer mode.

I really agree with this guy but I really enjoy the game. I think in the end if I still see variety I'll keep going, probably like he says to try and top out my tool/ship. I don't know if more systems that are typically present in these games would keep me in the game longer, but it would probably have helped it with the typical gamer. I'm very interested to find out about the design decisions for the easy navigation, I was a little shocked too you could just point and click to a destination, at first I thought you had to at least time the button release.

Realyn

What, does this make sense to anyone on earth?

I do not find the last 3 Call of Duty games very enjoyable, I would rate them 3/10 or thereabouts.

They are extremely well made games and that is a 'fact'.

Not sure what's your point either. So, they are extremely well made games you would score 3/10 in a review because you personally don't enjoy them? Sounds like the video game media should sign you right up.

So some like it, others really liked it and others either didn't like it or weren't fully convinced.

No idea why this results are making some people in some places of the internet go crazy. Did they really expect this to get a metascore of 9.5?

There were segments of the Internet that got themselves waaaaaay too hyped for this game and had unreasonable expectations for it. So yeah there was a chunk that probably expected mostly 9s and 10s. I mean some of these people made death threats when Kotaku reported a simple delay.

But most were far more reasonable

Five step guide to enjoying No Man's Sky:
1. Get it on PC.
2. Download Cheat Engine.
3. Use Cheat Engine to remove anything related to inventory management and resource gathering so you can focus on looking for cool ass aliens.
4. ???
5. Profit.
that's a great idea. Hope my PC can run it.

Odrion

Banned
I've seen reviewers give games a score based on how they think the general public would like it. Patrick Klepek loved Dragon's Dogma and gave it a 3/5 because he thought people would be put off by a lot of it's mechanics.
Huh? If i had to guess NMS sold/is selling crazy well.
I mean, this past week I'm sure it's selling well. But I'm willing to bet that the reviews and word of mouth is going to cut off the "legs" of this game's post release sales.

Not sure what's your point either. So, they are extremely well made games you would score 3/10 in a review because you personally don't enjoy them? Sounds like the video game media should sign you right up.
It doesn't matter if a game is the most well made game in the history of the medium; if someone didn't enjoy it, the review should reflect that

A review isn't a technical assessment

Tuck

Hm, quite a spread though definitely seems to skew more negative. Thats too bad.

I do hope I'll get to try the game one day to form my own opinion, but they sort of lost me. I was really excited three years ago, but now (even before the reviews), not so much.

Ferrio

Banned
Scores aren't really all that surprising after playing it. A procedurally generated survival game with FTL/OutThere elements was always going to be a hard sell as an AAA title.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Yeah 7/10 seems about right to me. Its a cool game, and when it clicks with me its brilliant. However, I end up feeling like the game is like 5% exploration and 95% inventory management. I wish I would have got it on PC since an infinite inventory would probably make this a 9/10 for me.

Mad Max was fantastic. Better than any Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed (after Brotherhood). High-five

image.php

lol ;P

I need to stop going into review threads. The hyperbole alone (usually negative) is giving me a migraine from all the eye-rolling. No, seriously. I'm getting an actual headache reading garbage postings like this.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused by people in the thread treating a 6 or 7 out of 10 average as if its an unplayable mess. It's an average score and frankly, right now its an average game. So it sounds about right.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This pretty much lines up with my expectations. I would have liked to get into this game but I'm not dropping 60 on something so supposedly average. Oh well.

The Hermit

This game is tottally my cuo of tea

- I loved the exploration of both Xenoblade
- I have over 120hrs on both Endless Ocean

Is there anything that I might not like with this one?

Kssio_Aug

I agree. I understand what the IGN guy meant: he enjoyed it a lot, but he can see it may not appeal to many others.

In the other hand, I disagree with the posts somewhat stating it's the kind of a game you "either love or hate".

I mean there's a lot of 6/7 scores, wich means there are many reviwers that neither hated or loved it, they just thought its an very avarage game, totally the middle ground.

DrBo42

After playing the ps4 version game is definitely a 5 or 6/10 and far too expensive for what's offered IMO. Gameplay is just far too shallow.

Servbot24

Banned
Man... I got made fun of so often for thinking this game would be shallow.

Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

The hell is this o_O

Huggers

This game is tottally my cuo of tea

- I loved the exploration of both Xenoblade
- I have over 120hrs on both Endless Ocean

Is there anything that I might not like with this one?

I would go and grab it asap. I have become completely obsessed with it. It's not perfect but I'm so in awe and excited by the whole game it's hard for me to notice it's imperfections

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
For the Spore comparisons, Spore actually got an 84 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spore/critic-reviews

I do think it's a good example of how reviewer perspective has changed over the years though. 2008 was around the peak of reviewers feeling really good about just about everything.

These days, instead of Killzone 2 getting a 91 and Spore getting an 84, Killzone: Shadow Fall gets a 73 and No Man's Sky gets a 69.

Killzone 2 was way better than Shadow Fal

The hype train on that thing was colossal and honestly, it was a little delusionial to think that a team of 15 devs could create an infinite universe that would provide endless varied content that didn't get repetitive and best in genre gameplay. It's already an incredible feat that such a small team managed the whole procedurally generated universe thingy.

Hopefully, now that the game is out and money starts pouring in, they will be able to continue working on expanding upon the current foundation, making the gameplay more meaningful for long time players... That said, I think not making this game multiplayer-oriented was a huge mistake... I mean, games like minecraft thrive due to player created worlds, and to me procedurally generated universes needs to give multiple players the abilitry to durably affect and "build" man made structures in them... How far would have Minecraft gotten without the ability to alter and modify the gameworld , I wonder ?

The lack of multiplayer means it will always remain a mostly solitary "explore empty wortlds" type of game... Whereas I'm sure the game would have actually been more rewarding with some multiplayer focus and the ability to create player owned cities and such on said planets... It's one thing to discover a random planet, but shaping it into a huge outpost where you and your friends hang out is where the true fun would have been.

Hopefully the game can evolve as time passes.

Top Bottom