• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Kalor

Those scores seem right considering it will be a divisive game. The game has a number of problems which are reflected here but I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the Spore comparisons, Spore actually got an 84 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spore/critic-reviews

I do think it's a good example of how reviewer perspective has changed over the years though. 2008 was around the peak of reviewers feeling really good about just about everything.

These days, instead of Killzone 2 getting a 91 and Spore getting an 84, Killzone: Shadow Fall gets a 73 and No Man's Sky gets a 69.

"Every bit as good as Star Fox Zero!"™
not-like-this.gif

Well I mean 'fun' is subjective here. So if we think both achieved what they promised then it's really just down to what people find enjoyable.

I mean, the game elements of No Man's aren't why anyone enjoys the game, unless you're about to start defending the poor shooting, space combat, clunky survival elements, etc. The reason people like No Man's is because they can ignore the interactive bits and just wander around open worlds.

I don't think it's a stretch to call No Man's a poorly playing video game. It just has positives despite that.

All over the place, as I expected.

It's certainly a flawed game, and it really feels like they tried so hard to put 'gamey' elements in place with the survival mechanics and resource gathering that it trips over itself, but when it stops putting hurdles in your way for a few minutes and just lets you exist in its universe, there's nothing else really like it, and I'm personally finding it hugely enjoyable and compelling by and large.

I just hope Hello games really takes the critiscism on board from these reviews, and continues to update the game and hopefully improve its experience for those that enjoy its fundamentals enough to stick around.

WhyMe6

From my time with the game, the polarised opinions presented across the reviews are as expected and deserved. Generally, it seems both the criticism and praise this is receiving is on the mark.

The game feels like they took one of my favourite aspects of Mass Effect 1, the planet exploration and the sense of place the atmosphere provided the player with, and expanded it hugely. That's all I expected and, for me, it's absolutely wonderful and beautiful.

Played quite a bit and it's about a 6. The scores will be different for many but an average spot for it is a 6 I say. It's just missing anything of quality, it's a time waster.

Realyn

I don't really get stuff like this from page one:
One of the most polarising games of all time?

Seems if the game clicks for a person, it's absolutely amazing. If it doesn't, it's a hollow -- albeit beautiful -- experience

the quote from the IGN Spain review seems spot-on, this game isn't for everyone but the people that it clicks for will love it

The polarizing reviews are more interesting the the average number it spits out. It's not a game where you can look at Metacritic and move on. It's too divisive for that which makes this game extra interesting in a way.

So many words just to talk something bad into something good. Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

I'm happy for people who are enjoying it. I don't agree with the price tag and rather see it as an early access game, but that's me. I'm probably playing games who are bad and boring to other people. But to be honest II can't wait for the twenty thousand trillion planets, the devs are so much smarter than we are, it's more interesting because it's bad stuff to go away.

For the Spore comparisons, Spore actually got an 84 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spore/critic-reviews

I do think it's a good example of how reviewer perspective has changed over the years though. 2008 was around the peak of reviewers feeling really good about just about everything.

These days, instead of Killzone 2 getting a 91 and Spore getting an 84, Killzone: Shadow Fall gets a 73 and No Man's Sky gets a 69.

I feel like there is more to do in Spore. A lot more potential for someone to latch onto a mechanic and enjoy it.

KJRS_1993

This is the huge problem when you have a game that relies so much on procedural generation. You can have what is effectively a limitless number of planets, but they can only add so many features before you see the same thing over and over and over - and then the quantity of levels is pointless. Example is Warframe which, even though it theoretically has an unlimited number of levels, they aren't particularly exciting after you've played two or three of them. (and that game has the benefit of multiplayer as well).

That being said, I do see this game growing into potentially something like Destiny. The base game is a little rough but after numerous quality of life improvements and content patches it could grow into something excellent. I might consider picking the game up then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel like there is more to do in Spore. A lot more potential for someone to latch onto a mechanic and enjoy it.

Plausibly yes, but I guess my sentiment is more that I'd probably expect something in the mid to high 70s instead of as favorable as a score set as it got back then.

Huggers

A review site saying this game isn't for everyone and giving it a 9 (with that execuse I can give any game 9 and say it isn't for everyone)

This doesn't make sense. They can say it's not for everyone but it is for this reviewer - 9/10. A review is an opinion. It isn't supposed to be a sweeping generalised view of the masses

Oof.

I can say with full confidence it's one of my favorite games of all-time right now. We'll see if the magic disappears but the best moment I had was the last time I played (12 hr mark)

Looks like this is the years poorly rated exclusive.

And you know, luckily it is. It's a game hanging on how you make it, and what you take away from it. It's fine that these people didn't like it, because...well...they didn't like it. It's still gonna sell a CRAZY amount, and a lot of the people that bought it will love it.

Now, if it was Uncharted 4 or Gears 4 that got bad reviews than yeah, I'd be upset.

GK_Gats

So many words just to talk something bad into something good. Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

I'm happy for people who are enjoying it. I don't agree with the price tag and rather see it as an early access game, but that's me. I'm probably playing games who are bad and boring to other people. But to be honest II can't wait for the twenty thousand trillion planets, the devs are so much smarter than we are, it's more interesting because it's bad stuff to go away.

Congratulations, you just invented universal taste.

SwolBro

Banned

i'm not sure what you expect though and facts in a "review'? you can have something that looks good as "facts" on paper but the experience of playing it is complete junk.

People should really base their purchasing decisions on a number of factors rather than what some critics say.

I've seen videos of the game, read reviews from both sides of the isle, and concluded the game is not for me and i'm not spending money on it.

People basing their purchase decision on just reviews is downright silly to me.

Having fun with it! Solid 7/10 in terms of gameplay; very average. 8.5/10 when everything is working and the game is at it's best!

EDIT: An example of a fun time I had and what I consider the game being at it's "best": ...When all the systems are working together (planet exploration, mining, and space combat) Had a fun encounter with 5 pirates that involved going down to a mountainous planet, ducking through close to the ground, and realizing that I had no resources to heal my shields. I ended up flying back into space and mined some asteroids that I knew had iron in them. Fixed my shields with barely any health left and took the last two pirates chasing me out. What I should have said when the game is at it's best. The soundtrack blaring at the same time was also a nice part of the whole experience.

Odrion

Banned
I don't know if they're really going to work on this still when it's doing this poor critically and a lot of the community is feeling very sour on it.
Having fun with it! Solid 7/10 in terms of gameplay; very average. 8.5/10 when everything is working and the game is at it's funnest!
really

Elandyll

Banned
Game totally clicked for me, as I expected it would, but there is no denying there are some rough spots or that (again, as expected) it won't be for everyone.

Scores reflect that I think, with a bunch of 4-5's and another bunch of 8-9's.

Best advice is probably to find a reviewer you tend to align with and see what he/she thinks.

My personal pros and cons:

Pros:
- Amazing scope. Have played for three days so far and barely made a scratch inside a scratch (visited 8 planets across 2 systems), and not 2 experiences were the same
- Great graphic design, specially where tech is involved (equipment, outposts, ships, stations...)
- Great sound design
- Great score
- The procedural landscapes and planet generation works. Caves, weird ruins, crashed ships, strange beasts...
- Some (many) planets look amazing and have very interesting scenery
- Loving the module system to customize your suit/ Gun (multi tool) and ship.
- Love the ship design, and getting a bigger ship with more space is always a nice incentive
- The survival aspect is both a threat and not overbearing, as you can take refuge in caves, outposts but also your ship.
- Loving collecting alien languages and the occasional math puzzle
- Walk pace -is- slow, but running (weirdly R3 bound) works and the jet pack, which requires no fuel, is great.
- It enflames your imagination almost like no game before, at least if you are.a fan of sci fi exploration

Cons:
- bit of a cumbersome UI for inventory. I got used to it rapidly
- Ships should not need fuel for impulse or takeoff. The reason for that is that it mandates the presence of easily found and harvestable fuel both on planets and in space (unless risking becoming stranded), and thus it becomes a grinding loop with little risk (it has to be available nearby) or reward (its always available, but you have to mine it)
- space combat is ruthless and in a basic ship you basically have no chance. Having 4-7 ships pounding at you and shredding your shields like paper in 3 hits is sobering. It would be nice having a system estimating your chance of success and allowing you an escape route (pirates can prevent you from using a Pulse Jump to get out of reach)
- The "tutorial period" is nice, but should probably be a tad clearer about the Atlas, and the 2 routes offered to you (Atlas/ Core).
- You bump into needing Chips and Passes V1 early on, with little to no hint as to how to get them. Chips are easy (You can craft it), but Passes... still waiting (and dont want to spoiler it).
- Some planets look quite rough due to the procedural nature, particularly if no flora.
- Exploration of planets would be more encouraged if it didn't cost 25% of your pulse fuel everytime you take off. This being said, fuel is generally widely available (which sends me back to my earlier critique). A land vehicule would be nice, but I do understand the possible challenges in coding (terrain can give way to huge cave openings where a vehicule would possibly get stuck).

Its strange, because people had a huge question since seeing it: "What do you do?" And ultimately it seems like there isnt much to do apart from exploring and upgrading.

That's exactly what a review is. What makes graphics good? Fidelity or aesthetic? Atmosphere or photorealism? Expectations differ between every person, and so on.

I'm 10 hours in and loving it, but the reviews don't surprise me at all.

Put it this way... It's a pretty terrible videogame, but as Eurogamer says, it's also "a unique work of engineering art to lose yourself in", and on that score it's a triumph and a masterpiece.

Id be fine with this if it was like $30-40. Right now oogling at pretty planets just isnt enough to justify a $60 price tag for me.

I don't know if they're really going to work on this still when it's doing this poor critically and a lot of the community is feeling very sour on it.

I mean, they sort of have to if only to save face. Minecraft launched years ago with a lot more features and at a third of the price, if they don't at least catch up in some way people are going to call them scam artists.

Saw that coming. I actually thought it would/will review a LOT worse.

I'm personally loving that game but i went in thinking of this as space minecraft minus the building. Low expectations.

As others have said it's a technical marvel but not really a good game.

Enjoying the shit out of it for now though!

LKSmash

This has all the makings of a post 6-9 months from now asking how the game is doing and everyone saying it's gotten a lot better since launch.

This is definitely a love it or hate it kind of game. I'm about 5 hours in and enjoying it, but I am already observing the lack in variety on some of the planets. But the exploration is still fun and I'm still running into things I haven't seen before. But the "wander around and maybe you'll see something cool" gameplay certainly isn't for everyone.

6/10 or 7/10 sounds about right for this game. Which is a decent score IMO.

If Hello follows through with some of the features they've mentioned, it'll change the game dramatically. So I'd recommend most people wait it out for more content to be introduced and the price to drop. Or if money is no object go get it, it's still a fun game.

Oof.

I can say with full confidence it's one of my favorite games of all-time right now. We'll see if the magic disappears but the best moment I had was the last time I played (12 hr mark)

And you know, luckily it is. It's a game hanging on how you make it, and what you take away from it. It's fine that these people didn't like it, because...well...they didn't like it. It's still gonna sell a CRAZY amount, and a lot of the people that bought it will love it.

Now, if it was Uncharted 4 or Gears 4 that got bad reviews than yeah, I'd be upset.
You should try any Xenoblade game, especially X.

Odrion

Banned
I mean, they sort of have to if only to save face. Minecraft launched years ago with a lot more features and at a third of the price, if they don't at least catch up in some way people are going to call them scam artists.
eh, the damage to hello game's reputation is already done. and people will eventually move on and not care whether or not it'll get support. and so will hello games.

Lucifon

I think it was a mistake to bring this game into triple A status and price point. Should have been a $30 downloadable indie game which I'm sure was the original plan.
This. The scale on paper sounds like a $60 game. But the gameplay itself and depth of said gameplay is absolutely not what I'd consider a $60 game.

The positives and negatives in the reviews are exactly how I feel. The scale of moving from space to planets is amazing. The size of the areas is also awesome. But there's just not much to do. There's nothing interesting in 90+% of the planets. There's no exciting discovery when there's nothing really TO discover over than "can I find a screwed randomly generated thing"

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I hate giving scores, but I think 70/100 is pretty fair, and I'm in love with the game.

It's not for everyone. Not every game is for everyone. Not every game is going to have every feature you adore about games. I learned a long time ago to walk away from games that weren't doing it for me. Just recently, I deleted Stein's Gate from my Vita, because I just wasn't feeling it. I love visual novels, but after about 3 or 4 chapters, I realized that it wasn't doing it for me story or character wise, so I dropped it. Nothing wrong with that.

With No Man's Sky, the genre, setting, and visual aesthetic are what initially roped me in. Now, after having spent about 10 or so hours with the finished game, I can definitely say that I love the game. It's repetitive and grindy, but that urge to explore and discover new stuff and upgrade my suit, ship, and multitool, and learn languages still has me engaged. I used to think that Demon's Souls wouldn't be my type of game, but I gave it a shot and ended up falling in love with the Souls series, with Bloodborne being my favorite of that style of game. I know a LOT of people that don't like Souls games, but instead of trying to force my love of the series onto them, I just let them enjoy what they enjoy, and pass on.

Personally, I think a 7/10 is a pretty good score. The game is rough around the edges, and has a lot of little niggles that I'd love to see ironed out, but I'm surprised at how much more to it there is than I thought. The Atlas Path is pretty vital for people that don't want to just go into the game blind, and want a little bit more guidance or some kind of other objectives to pursue. When I review games, I use a "Buy/Rent/Pass" system in my final verdict. I want to spend more time with the game, and I will tonight and this weekend, but my 10+ hour verdict would be:

Buy - If you are a fan of exploration, beautiful music art design, and a really satisfying sense of discovery. If you ever wanted to just hop in a space ship and explore the stars, this is a very cathartic title for that. There's just something really enjoyable about cresting a hill and seeing a beautiful, alien landscape, or a massive ocean with mountains in the distance, and starships flying by overhead.

Rent - If you want more meat in your games as far as quest lines, story, and aren't a fan of having to work to unearth some of the more satisfying upgrades/tools/ships. If you're curious but don't want to buy right away, or the $60 price tag is a deterrent.

Pass - If you want a multi-player experience and deep and complex gameplay systems, sprawling alien civilizations, and a more hand crafted experience. Also, if procedural generation isn't your cup of tea. If you haven't been impressed by what you've seen of the game so far, chances are it's not for you. It is exactly as the trailers have made it look. Exactly. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to the individual.

Paz

Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

What, does this make sense to anyone on earth?

I do not find the last 3 Call of Duty games very enjoyable, I would rate them 3/10 or thereabouts.

They are extremely well made produced and that is a 'fact', but I still find them unenjoyable despite their technical achievements and quality.

Top Bottom