• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Truant

They weren't kidding when they said the on-disc version wasn't what they wanted people to play. The massive improvements in shadows and pop in would be worth it alone.

Draper

That is literally what Sean Murray has said he wants if the game is successful. He said he would love to continue supporting No Man's Sky if it was successful. I don't think there's any doubt it will be, so you can book it that Hello Games will be adding a LOT more content, and for free. That was another point. He doesn't want DLC, he wants to just add things.

Alright, guess I'll keep my LE on order.

Radio

Sounds great. The one addition I'm hoping for are Earth-like planets with multiple biomes. I know they said each planet only has one biome to encourage moving on to other planets, but with the planned addition of base building, maybe they've changed their minds.

BigDug13

That is literally what Sean Murray has said he wants if the game is successful. He said he would love to continue supporting No Man's Sky if it was successful. I don't think there's any doubt it will be, so you can book it that Hello Games will be adding a LOT more content, and for free. That was another point. He doesn't want DLC, he wants to just add things.

Truly Minecraft survival mode in space, right down to the free content updates on the regular.

abundant

It's been talked about in the spoiler thread, but a running theory I have is that in order to get it out for an August release, they had to submit a core-feature finished build to get it Certified, whilst these changes have been in the works before that.

Like if they waited for these features to be finished before they submitted the game for certification, then it would've come out September >_>;

Yeah, after looking over the patch notes + watching the leaked streams, this seems to be the case.

MilesTeg

Banned
That is a hell of an update and clearly changes the game quite abit. Really looking forward to seeing how they expand the game over time.

With the new feature that lets you see star systems that have been explored by other players, there seems to be hope that maybe some day they add real multiplayer features. Conquering galaxies in a faction would be awesome.

styl3s

Truly Minecraft survival mode in space, right down to the free content updates on the regular.
Not only that imagine the insane mods people are going to make on PC like they did with Minecraft.

I going to spend an insane amount of time playing this game.

jmaine_ph

I am confident true multiplayer will come to this game eventually. Makes sense why this game would be $60 if all the DLC and updates are free.

Reviewers will have a problem with this. IMHO it's great, and they've been very open with this.

But I can see how a reviewer wouldn't like being unable to score the game on day one.

ironcreed

Banned
SPACE BARS MAN :D

Time to get my Space drank on.

tumblr_md0r16PB231rpu5ulo1_400.gif

daveo42

Banned
Holy hell this is a massive, galaxy-sized update for the game. Seems like a good deal of the pre-release issues are being fixed day 1. Sean was right in that the game on launch would be different than what we've seen already in alot of ways.

#seanwasright

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This continues to be the most fascinating game of 2016 that I just have no interest in playing

Giant procedural galaxy should be my bag, but I just can't bring myself to care about another crafting loop

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Reviewers will have a problem with this. IMHO it's great, and they've been very open with this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they have a problem with improvements, and try and be cynical over it, then fuck them, seriously, lol. They are being petty as shit then.

It sounds like they have a real commitment to continue supporting the game and increasing its depth and scale. I hope they are able to stay with it for sometime.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Was this done in only a month?

If they managed all this in a month I'd wonder why the game took so long to come out =3

Seems to be a case of printing the core game on disc for verification and patching rest of the game in at release when it was done.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A bunch of this stuff was almost certainly like 70% complete when they had to submit the final build for manufacturing, so they probably stuck an old build on and knew this patch would be necessary.

Everything in the patch notes sound great. I'm curious what the Path stuff is.

My guess is it's kind of determining difficulty, as it were, as well as how things are generated when you discover them. So if I choose a Survivalist path, it's going to be more difficult than an Explorer path. This is all just wild speculation though.

Especially ones that wanted to rush to get a review out. Will be interesting to see what sites go ahead and rush to publish something since these notes for what a majority of people will experience are out ahead of the embargo.

I have to say it's kind of a sad state of affairs when before a game is even released we are looking forward to patch 1.03.

You could also choose to look at the amount of work put in since disc was sent to print as an encouraging sign that bodes well for post release fixes and support

But I can see how a reviewer wouldn't like being unable to score the game on day one.

They will get over it.

Its obvious why they had the embargo go until release date. If "reviewers" would have reviewed the game last week, well, that isn't the game we are getting anyway. That review would be obsolete.

Probably why he's spoiling the patch notes early. To make it known that reviewing the game in its current state will be a waste.

Especially ones that wanted to rush to get a review out. Will be interesting to see what sites go ahead and rush to publish something since these notes for what a majority of people will experience are out ahead of the embargo.

They will get over it.

Its obvious why they had the embargo go until release date. If "reviewers" would have reviewed the game last week, well, that isn't the game we are getting anyway. That review would be obsolete.

Posting the patch notes early was a smart move.

Seiniyta

Was this done in only a month?

Most likely a lot of features were in the work for much longer, but they felt not confident adding them in the disc version either for performance, stability or it was simply not quite ready yet functionality wise.

Of course, doesn't mean big features can't be done in a month just that it's more likely a lot of those were already in the pipeline in various stages of developement.

Top Bottom