• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New Final Fantasy XV Info at E3 2014

I guess Sony saw this coming and sold all SE stocks before the value dropping again?

What does SE even have for 2014, 2015 beside remastered stuff?
LOL...oh man, I guess we shouldn't have bought FFX:RM because SE will now remastered FF13 at this point before releasing a new IP.

Eidos is carrying them, console-wise.

SkylineRKR

I guess Sony saw this coming and sold all SE stocks before the value dropping again?

What does SE even have for 2014, 2015 beside remastered stuff?
LOL...oh man, I guess we shouldn't have bought FFX:RM because SE will now remastered FF13 at this point before releasing a new IP.

I think they did see this. And they also saw where FFXIII was going, ie being a piece of shit anyway.

And FFX HD is one of the best games I played all year. Same went for KH HD. If anything i'd rather have FFXII HD than FFXV.

FFXIV is stellar too though.

Here's a little thought experiment.

May 2006 is when FFXV was announced. For the sake of argument, let's assume that 5 out of the 7 days of the week, a small team of 20 people began working on FFXV for 8 hours a day.

That's 2,080 hours per year, per employee. For all 20 employees, that's 41,600 hours total. But, it's been eight years since the announcement. So, that's 16,640 hours per person, or 332,800 hours of total work for our core team of 20 people. Working on a single game.

Unless I made a mistake with my quick math.

todd360

May 2006 is when FFXV was announced. For the sake of argument, let's assume that 5 out of the 7 days of the week, a small team of 20 people began working on FFXV for 8 hours a day.

That's 2,080 hours per year, per employee. For all 20 employees, that's 41,600 hours total. But, it's been eight years since the announcement. So, that's 16,640 hours per person, or 332,800 hours of total work for our core team of 20 people. Working on a single game.

That is assuming they worked on it at all. It seems to me like they just pushed it under the rug until recently.

TGS seems like a huge fail for big announcements every year. The last time I remember TGS actually having something cool was KH2.

Yeah, seriously. At this point, I have more faith in Square hosting their own private event like 2011 where they can showcase XV than I do in it showing up at TGS.

In fact, that would actually be the only possible scenario which would justify the game missing E3, IMO, since at a private event it wouldn't face any competition from other publishers and it would have the eyes of the whole gaming populace. Not that I expect this to happen, since I don't expect SE to do anything that makes sense at this point.

The fact this company felt it was acceptable to push their signature series to the back burner speaks volumes about their competence as well.

Well, they also had to take away from production time to assist/salvage other big projects, like FFXIII and FFXIV.

They bit off way more than they could chew back in the mid-late 2000's and they are still reeling from it. Horrible, amateurish organization (or lack there-of).

FOR THE PAST 8 YEARS.

image.php

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The fact this company felt it was acceptable to push their signature series to the back burner speaks volumes about their competence as well.
Dont forget that this was originally a spinoff and they were working on FF13 which didnt come out until 2010, not defending, but adding context, the title itself wasent nearly as imporant back then.

MrDenny

I believe it didn't really go into development until around 2011.
Nomura was busy helping with other games, character designing, and directing those kingdom hearts spinoff games.

todd360

Don't forget that this was originally a spin-off and they were working on FF13 which didn't come out until 2010, not defending, but adding context, the title itself wasn't nearly as important back then.

This is very true. The part that is wtf is the fact that they decided to make two sequels for 13 after the negative response to the first game.

DNAbro

Before crisis HD and Advent children HD.

An old pre-iphone game and a movie.

yeah who wouldn't believe that?

EDIT: And people are still falling for that FFXIII collection pic lol

This is very true. The part that is wtf is the fact that they decided to make two sequels for 13 after the negative response to the first game.

Asset re-usage.
S-E spent a lot of money on that cock-up Crystal Tools crap and had to take advantage of it. FFXIII-2 and LR, to my understanding, were fairly cheap developments in comparison to XIII proper. Low risk with the potential for moderate reward.
Also, somehow, Lightning is apparently pretty popular in Japan (I'm no expert).

Somebody should start a twitter campaign at Square Enix to complain about this. Need to publicly shame them into showing us something . It's just beyond ridiculous. Delays is one thing. But not even throwing us a bone? Some of these Japanese developers don't know wtf they are doing.

Spongebob

Banned
SE would have benefited in having FFXV as a PS4 exclusive.

It's become clear that they're unable to develop this game on their own. If they had signed a deal with Sony they would have had support in developing, funding and marketing the game. Most FF sales last-gen came from the PS3 already so there wouldn't have been a big loss there. That's without taking into consideration that the PS4 is looking to be dominant this gen.

todd360

Asset re-usage.
S-E spent a lot of money on that cock-up Crystal Tools crap and had to take advantage of it. FFXIII-2 and LR, to my understanding, were fairly cheap developments in comparison to XIII proper. Low risk with the potential for moderate reward.
Also, somehow, Lightning is apparently pretty popular in Japan (I'm no expert).

Well I am. Let me enlighten you friend.

Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot.I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Final Fantasy 15 for either system, nor will they purchase any other Square Enix games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square Enix has alienated an entire market with this move. Square Enix, publicly apologize and show Final Fantasy 15 at E3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Somebody should start a twitter campaign at Square Enix to complain about this. Need to publicly shame them into showing us something . It's just beyond ridiculous. Delays is one thing. But not even throwing us a bone? Some of these Japanese developers don't know wtf they are doing.

Yeah, someone really should. I know I'd be on board.

todd360

Count me in. Lets shame the f*ck out of them.

Oriel

SE would have benefited in having FFXV as a PS4 exclusive.

It's become clear that they're unable to develop this game on their own. If they had signed a deal with Sony they would have had support in developing, funding and marketing the game. Most FF sales last-gen came from the PS3 already so there wouldn't have been a big loss there. That's without taking into consideration that the PS4 is looking to be dominant this gen.

But would Sony have been willing to moneyhat a fading franchise?

silva1991

Definitely : )

#Enough with fucking lightning and focus FFXV now

Spongebob

Banned

SE don't listen to their fans.

Ravidrath

At some point, the media just need to take off their kid gloves and ask Square Enix straight up - what the fuck is going on over there, and why aren't you firing everybody?

Yoshida made a mostly-new MMO in 2 years, while Nomura has thus far taken more than an entire hardware generation to make a single player game.

Toth

At some point, the media just need to take off their kid gloves and ask Square Enix straight up - what the fuck is going on over there, and why aren't you firing everybody?

Yoshida made a mostly-new MMO in 2 years, while Nomura has thus far taken more than an entire hardware generation to make a single player game.

It is rather odd given how much they had Toriyama and Kitase promote both LR and the FFX/X-2 HD and Yoshida with FF14 (another live letter will be held and they are teasing Shiva heavily despite her not being in the 2.3 patch). I suppose they are falling back on 2014 being the year of XIV.

It is rather odd given how much they had Toriyama and Kitase promote both LR and the FFX/X-2 HD and Yoshida with FF14 (another live letter will be held and they are teasing Shiva heavily despite her not being in the 2.3 patch). I suppose they are falling back on 2014 being the year of XIV.

It seems like its been the year of XIV for three years now.

chrono01

As much as I was hoping FFXV news would be at this year's E3, I kind of expected this. Still, it is disappointing. I'm so desperate for new footage/information, I even watch the "new" trailers whenever they're released that show a whole 2 seconds of new footage [if that].

I need this game, SE. :/

i7svrT20RkTDF.gif

However, show something in-regards to the FFXIV expansion, and I just might forgive you.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Square, why? Even a 2 minute teaser would have been fine.

Crisis Core HD would be awesome, though.

However, show something in-regards to the FFXIV expansion, and I just might forgive you.
This, too. Samurai/Ninja jobs and Ishgard! I hope.

Blader

They didn't actually start developing the game until years after announcing it.

That's one of Square's problems: they make announcements as soon as they have an idea for a game, not after a significant -- or really any -- amount of dev time has already been invested into the project. Consequently, you get hyped up for titles that only exist as thoughts and the most preliminary of concept art and notes, which is everyone waits for years with next to no information ever coming out.

Riposte

I bet The Last Remnant didn't go through development hell. SE should make another one of those in the meanwhile.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Watch them surprise everyone with an FF7 remake announcement.

Top Bottom