• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

sora87

I'd prefer a game with pre-rendered backgrounds like FF9, but I'd be there day one for a 2D old school Square game too. We need more of the good stuff.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I'd prefer a game with pre-rendered backgrounds like FF9, but I'd be there day one for a 2D old school Square game too. We need more of the good stuff.

Man, I hope Resident Evil Remake Remaster (Remaster Remake... whatever the hell it is) helps bring back pre-rendered backgrounds.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The best we can hope for is SE embarks on Child of light~like project.(similar in philosophy not copying the style per se) It was released on all platforms and was very polished.

If ubi can do it then SE can with their new studio.

Not everything needs to be AAA or made by 600 people to be great, profitable or polished.

Bevlieve it or not, at major publishers and that many platforms, games like that can still cost like $10MM or so.

I could see Sqex doing it - these types of projects are great for employee retention and brand affinity - but I wonder if current Sqex would only green light if mobile-led with a lot of those monetization strategy as part of the multiplatform release. That would be their less-risky approach, though I imagine it would be hard to get all that talent involved if it was dictated by management in a way that affects their design.

Hopefully they get the right people in on the pitch! Haha

Would be amazing if indeed everyone did get back together. But why would Uematsu care about it being 2D?

I still think, regardless of it's presentation, 2D can do things 3D struggles to accomplish. Both have their strengths and limitations. 2D might not be able to immerse a player in realistic world or tell a story in a extremely cinematic fashion, but you also are bound to rendering everything in 3D(all dimensions, all details). You can make the worlds larger and not be afraid of how you plan on doing that within the scope of what your 3D graphics engine will allow. You can actually make another game that spans the world's ENTIRETY, not just a section or region. Hell, like I said, you can have WORLDS(as in plural), like older FFs had more than one "world map" consisting of explorable space. Hell, FFVII was the last to do something like that(you had the overworld map and the underwater map). FFVI(considering Uematsu name dropped it) featured two different world maps. Other games in the series also had multiple maps(FFIII-FFV all had THREE different world maps to explore). I'd kill for a large ass JRPG full of many towns to explore, many people to meet, smaller events occurring("This town is being ravaged by a band of thieves, let's help them out!" or "The guy we need to talk to's daughter went exploring this 'haunted house' in the far end of town, so let's rescue her so he could help us!") "on your way", multiple worlds to traverse and a quest that's larger than life! EVEN if it's in 2D fashion.

It's not just nostalgia for me, but I do believe there are things 3D JRPGs will NEVER be able to replicate(out of logic) that 2D can do really well(unless you got team willing to sink millions and millions into creating an epic ass, MASSIVE 3D JRPG with lots of fully 3D explorable towns, dungeons, quests that span an entire planet, but who's going to waste money on THAT?).

And yes, I'd love Uematsu's proposed idea. FFVI team, together, making a 2D RPG... yum!

Chaos17

Mobile game? Mobile game.

Why this sound so true ?

209_s.jpg

Lowenbrau

Neo Member
Ugh. I remember SE talking about the future of mobile gaming. This will probably be mobile. Sadface

I want more games like the one made for Wii, can't remember it's title. But it was a throwback to old ff rpgs.

I really need to go on a classics spree with my emulators.

However, in terms of the game itself, mobile or otherwise I bet it'll be epic. Old team making a classic, and SE might make it cross platform

I wonder what a 2D JRPG with AAA budget would be like. The sheer amount of content and polish in the game would be crazy, probably even its downfall.

I know this is not that though, I was just wondering. I hope Uematsu gets what he wants, dude did more than enough to deserve it (and I hope the team is okay with joining again), he seems to be on SE's good side, so the chance is there I guess.

My immediate reaction is that I would pitch 100$ as soon as they put up a Kickstarter, but there's a lot to worry about.

Do those people still got it?
Is it going to appeal to the old-school fans, will it try to rope in as many folks as possible?
Will it be fun?

But yea. I love FF6. One of the best games ever made in my opinion.

orioto

Good Art™
Don't even care, it can be a mobile game all day if it's the FF6 team.

I'm playing a Sakagushi/Uematsu game right now on my tablet, it's quiet good.

The amount of fantasy in this thread.. i'd like to believe to..

_Again, nobody has any idea of what "2D FFVI and rpg" means in Uematsu's mind. The guy (and i looooove him) could really well remake all his musics into j-pop folk ballade for all i know.. He's complex and varied!

_This fantasy that a 2D game would allow more content.. really ? If anything it would cost a tone and allow less content, did you follow the KOF evolution ? And what about the sweet idea that FFVI graphics are kinda cheap to produce now. It cost a lot back then.

If i had to chose i'd go for a PSX style pre-rendered background. That would still be "moden" and pretty to most people, while being portable on most devices.

But again, i mean.. FFVI is about the tone, the mood, the scenario, the audacity of it's terrible sadness.. i'm not sure that's what everyone has in mind. That team has been reunited partially many times already, to give really different results. I remember FFIX being already "a return to FFVI team" in magazines, but it's (while good) pretty different right..

_This fantasy that a 2D game would allow more content.. really ? If anything it would cost a tone and allow less content, did you follow the KOF evolution ? And what about the sweet idea that FFVI graphics are kinda cheap to produce now. It cost a lot back then.

It wouldn't allow MORE content, but a more of a different type of content that 3D games struggle to include(because of expenses, 3D rendering and size). And I don't think that's a fantasy, but falls under cold, hard logic. Of course, this is not diminishing the effort, saying it's EASIER. No, to create a work of art in 2D is hard regardless, and takes time. Nobody's disputing this. However, it would probably take more time(and a larger team of programmers) to tackle that same artwork, but rendering it in 3D, and in a realistic fashion. Not lets take a town as example. 2D in a similar vein of the old FFs(lets use FFVI, since Uematsu brought it up), the towns are stylized, but still have life to them(rivers flow, water wheels turn, NPCs walk around), now think of it in 3D(but not FFVI-styled, but modern 3D, as in "realism realism REALISM").

Just speaking, and this is personal taste, I'd love a 2D game if it meant they could make a large world with fully explorable towns and the classic shit that, nowadays, developers shudder to think about because it would either put them in the red or they just cannot squeeze that much content in 3D games at all. There are limitations to both(2D and 3D). While nowadays, cinematic-style has gone up, for a change, I wouldn't mind NOT being able to have a game without stylized cut-scenes just to have an older type of experience. Of course, in the dreamer's dream, I'd love a fully 3D RPG world that spans an entire planet, with many towns and quests that rival the larger, older RPGs of yesteryear. That would be amazing. FFXV might try to do that, but I really don't think something like that will EVER be accomplished unless there is some magical way programmers can come up with making such content cheap and efficient. I'm not holding my breath in my lilfe time.

Top Bottom