• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

MilesTeg

Banned
No reason this couldn't hit every platform out there honestly. It's a pretty good investment imo. Make it for PS3/PS4/360/Xbone/3DS/Vita/Wii U/Mobile.

krossj

Perfect scenario - Square reinstates Sakaguchi, Amano and Uematsu for one more game and they call it FF XVI. I know it will not happen but who knows Square might change one day..

3ds game please..

chinese-lady-going-crazy-o.gif

seizure-o.gif

I'd love for something like this to exist. Carpetbomb us with iOS/Steam/Windows Store/Android/PSN/XBL/Nintendo Network release all on the same day.

All over my face (and chest)

The result was Blue Dragon, one of the most disappointingly mediocre JRPGs I have ever played.
That was the very first Mitwalker game and Akira Toryama is a retired mercenary now, his heart just wasn't there for it.

It doesn't help that Microsoft was throwing money at it but wanted it done and dealt with by December 2006. Everyone was struggling with new engines thus doing a game as big as this in the beginning of the generation wasn't easy. Bare in mind Final Fantasy XIII took 3 extra years (December 2009 in Japan) and it's not even anything to write home about.

Looking back it's obvious seeing Lost Odyssey came an year afterwards that Sakaguchi must have been focusing on Lost Odyssey understanding the other was coming out too soon, one year wouldn't be enough for such a great game to be launched otherwise.

He sacrificed one of his children for the other. And of course the Lost Odyssey concept was more of his child than the other one.

Mistwalker's track record is very good if you ask me.

She only seems to work with Monolith though, understandably (being Tetsuya Takahashi's wife).
She's still freelance and we don't know which kind of contract jobs she usually does, they might be non-gaming industry related, she speaks english she could be involved in translations and the like, even if it's for corporate stuff.

Seemingly she was always freelance after leaving Square. She was never on Monolith payroll as a regular employee but she was let go from Xenosaga 2 onwards, did contract work later for Somma Bringer and seems to be working no Xenoblade Chronicles X now.

cireza

I would love to see a 2D old school RPG, with fantastic music, and pixel-art graphics. Which means a low res game, so 3DS looks like the only option.

2D games on 3DS are 400 * 240, which is still a fantastic resolution for 2D. Proof are the 2D games available (on eShop mostly).

Would buy this at a high price.

Fraxin

He moved onto GungHo Online Entertainment in 2010.

We don't need his ass and uninspired drawings.

Call Amano or use Kimihiko Fujisaka from MistwalkerShe freelances, hasn't been on Monolith payroll since the Xenosaga 2 development phase.

When was Kimihiko Fujisaka from Mistwalker? He was the character designer of Drakengard 3.

Andrefpvs

16-bit nostalgia goggles warning.

It's obviously not going to happen, but I would love for this to be Final Fantasy XVI. I don't need next-gen graphics or voice acting to enjoy a good RPG, and it would be interesting to see what could be done with the resources that would otherwise be spent creating visually impressive 3D worlds.

I mean, XIII was very impressive visually, but overall Final Fantasy VI is arguably still the better game.

I'm just curious to know if the pursuit of the latest high technology is what drove back the latest iteration of Final Fantasy.

Khrno

I would love to see a 2D old school RPG, with fantastic music, and pixel-art graphics. Which means a low res game, so 3DS looks like the only option.

2D games on 3DS are 400 * 240, which is still a fantastic resolution for 2D. Proof are the 2D games available (on eShop mostly).

Would buy this at a high price.

I would rather have a 2014 quality game, not some retro-pixel art game.

Vanillaware-like art style quality would be much better (but expensive too sadly)

Harmen

Even if it is an Android/iOS game, I would be interested. I think it is really viable if it is something in the old school style (with some enhancements, like PSP FFIV for example, that was great) that runs well on all phones. And they can release steam/PSN/Live versions as well.

thefro

Terra Battle's making pretty decent bank already. I'm sure Sakaguchi would be up for it if he gets paid cash money (he's probably all for it if Uematsu's talking about it) but he's not desperate for the work right now.

When was Kimihiko Fujisaka from Mistwalker? He was the character designer of Drakengard 3.

He's freelance, but he's worked on every game Sakaguchi's made lately (the Last Story, the surfing game, the tower defense clone, Terra Battle).

Even if it's mobile, I don't care. Gimme.

If it's 2D, no reason why it can't be:
- PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/PS3/Vita/XBox1/360/Wii U/3DS/Android/iOS/Ouya as the platforms.

antibolo

Banned
No thanks. We all know perfectly well that they're going to waste that talent on a f2p mobile game. With horrible fonts, of course.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Perfect scenario - Square reinstates Sakaguchi, Amano and Uematsu for one more game and they call it FF XVI. I know it will not happen but who knows Square might change one day..

I would love it if they were one of a few rotating FF teams. I couldn't ask for more.

Forgot all about that ... odd ... story saying SE was recruiting for a new studio to concentrate on what made them who they are in the first place.

Would be amazing if indeed everyone did get back together. But why would Uematsu care about it being 2D? Dunno

But the thought of it is exciting.

HeelPower

I want Uematsu to come back to FF.No matter what the project ends up being.He seems to have a very good relationship with SE ,Judging by his Distant Worlds concert huge success and how SE constantly support these events worldwide.

Also if they're gonna make another 2D ,and they should, they push 2D to new grounds.They can definitely make more complex art and assets than SNES-level so that we get it on consoles.Child of Light is an example of that.I am sure SE has the talent to push something new and refreshing.

Retreading SNES level graphics isn't that exciting tbh.Already too many games made in that style.Both old and new.

Top Bottom