• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

pswii60

Honestly, I had no idea this game was so popular and I know absolutely nothing about it.

Can someone explain to me what has made this game so popular? As someone who hasn't played it, it just looks like another bog standard multiplayer shooter, but obviously there's something special about it. I'm intrigued given that I'll be picking up an X later this year.

CSGO isn't really dying. It's peak numbers have dropped since it's all time high (850k) but average players has stayed the same.

In April 2016 it had avg player of 375k with a peak of 850k
In Aug 2017 it has avg player of 375k with a peak of 576k

Notice how in Februrary 2017 the game was above 400k average?

Next month guess which game came out, and which game has been dropping players ever since? I'll let you guess.

Next month guess which game came out, and which game has been dropping players ever since? I'll let you guess.

What exactly do you want them to do? PUBG is a phenomenon. Nothing can stop this train. I'm sure Valve are pretty happy with that 30% and having the first and third most popular games on Steam.

Trace

Banned
Honestly, I had no idea this game was so popular and I know absolutely nothing about it.

Can someone explain to me what has made this game so popular? As someone who hasn't played it, it just looks like another bog standard multiplayer shooter, but obviously there's something special about it. I'm intrigued given that I'll be picking up an X later this year.

I seriously need a "What is PUBG" post or something for the number of times I've seen this. Basically it's a battle royale game, you start with 100 people in a plane that flies over a giant island. You pick your spot to parachute down out of the plane, with nothing with you. You need to scavenge for backpacks/armor/meds/weapons/ammo throughout the island while everyone is trying to kill each other, and there is a large circle that denotes the "safe area" that shrinks over time. If you're outside that area you take damage, with the later circles doing more and more damage to the point where you can't heal through them. Eventually you end up with tiny circles and a few players left, last man (or squad) standing is the winner.

The map looks like this for anyone wondering.

Map.jpg

Yeah it lost 15k avg the following month, gained back 5k players, lost 20k then gained, 6k

The game isn't dying. With how well PUBG is doing, if CSGO was dying I would imagine it would have lost more than 25k players. The fluctuation just means that people are taking breaks then coming back. Mighjt be because of PUBG or because the game has been out for 5 years so eventually you get burned out and need/want to play something else for a bit.

For the record, Dota 2 has lost almost 100k avg players over that time span.

RIP Valve. Might as well just make Half-Life 3 at this point and go out with a bang cuz you're dead.

We can start off with the fact that it looks nothing like any other multiplayer shooter? The only games similar to it are mods from the guy who made PUBG.

pswii60

I seriously need a "What is PUBG" post or something for the number of times I've seen this. Basically it's a battle royale game, you start with 100 people in a plane that flies over a giant island. You pick your spot to parachute down out of the plane, with nothing with you. You need to scavenge for backpacks/armor/meds/weapons/ammo throughout the island while everyone is trying to kill each other, and there is a large circle that denotes the "safe area" that shrinks over time. If you're outside that area you take damage, with the later circles doing more and more damage to the point where you can't heal through them. Eventually you end up with tiny circles and a few players left, last man (or squad) standing is the winner.

The map looks like this for anyone wondering.
Thanks! That actually sounds really unique and the type of game that really needs a large player base to work well. So it sounds like it has all come together perfectly.

jtb

Banned
I really really wish I could have fun at this game. (Mainly because I can't refund it) I just don't get it.

rocK`

Banned
Yeah it lost 15k avg the following month, gained back 5k players, lost 20k then gained, 6k

The game isn't dying. With how well PUBG is doing, if CSGO was dying I would imagine it would have lost more than 25k players. The fluctuation just means that people are taking breaks then coming back. Mighjt be because of PUBG or because the game has been out for 5 years so eventually you get burned out and need/want to play something else for a bit.

For the record, Dota 2 has lost almost 100k avg players over that time span.

RIP Valve. Might as well just make Half-Life 3 at this point and go out with a bang cuz you're dead.

We can start off with the fact that it looks nothing like any other multiplayer shooter? The only games similar to it are mods from the guy who made PUBG.

haha what? queue laughing gifs. valve is entirely here to stay. thats like calling amazon out for not developing anything unique when their presence is mostly a platform.

haha what? queue laughing gifs. valve is entirely here to stay. thats like calling amazon out for not developing anything unique when their presence is mostly a platform.

That was sarcasm m8.

Like 3 sentence before that, I'm explaining to him why I don't feel that CSGO is dying.

Can you use a controller with this game yet? Last I checked it was still M+KB and I'm not good enough for that shit.

Yes, I've been using a DS4 + XB1 controller for a while now.

I had to temporarily use my mouse to shoot a guy far away hahaha

kabel

Thanks! That actually sounds really unique and the type of game that really needs a large player base to work well. So it sounds like it has all come together perfectly.

What makes me wonder is that the Ubisofts and EAs ignored the ArmA 2 BR Mod, the ArmA 3 BR Mod and the H1Z1 BR Mod(KotK as we know today). They didn't even try to make a BR game. After PUBG I can only imagine what goes through their heads now...

I mean. Imagine a BR game on Frostbite Engine with actual polish and stable servers.
I love PUBG but the game is clunky and has shit performance.

MUnited83

For you.
Why should they care about their own game declining in popularity? Really?

Yea they make a small % of all PUBG sales and market transactions but they make a much higher % off of CS:GO sales and market transactions. But yea, who cares if our own game is dying?!

But game isn't dying. Not even remotely.

Growth is incredible. Wonder if it has hit the inflection point of growth yet, seems it hasnt. I havent played it, and likely wont, but I certainly respect what they are doing.

What makes me wonder is that the Ubisofts and EAs ignored the ArmA 2 BR Mod, the ArmA 3 BR Mod and the H1Z1 BR Mod(KotK as we know today). They didn't even try to make a BR game. After PUBG I can only imagine what goes through their heads now...

I mean. Imagine a BR game on Frostbite Engine with actual polish and stable servers.
I love PUBG but the game is clunky and has shit performance.

Console gaming isn't about risks. With the money that goes into AAA gaming it isn't worth it. Look at the complaints people have about PUBG. "It looks janky" "bad graphics"

For this game to have taken off on consoles it would have needed Uncharted level animations while looking as good as Horizon Zero Dawn.

Really don't understand... game idea is pretty fun but it's horribly horribly executed. PC gamers are weird.

I don't think it's horribly executed at all it does what it's suppose to do and it's not even finished, yet - if you guys think this number is astronomical wait until official release.

My gf has wanted to watch The Hunger Games recently so as I'm watching it with her, I've wondered, what do people think about a BR game having unknown elements/animals in the world as well?

PUBG kind of has the element thing with the circles and red zones, but what if you play like EVERMORE and instead of just laying in the bushes for 30 minutes, you have pack of wolves come up on you.

Just wondering what the genre can do from here to improve, or what a potential competitor can do to differentiate themselves. Maybe make a more "hardcore" version of BR by having you need to eat/stay hydrated. Though I guess at that point it becomes more a survival game like Rust..

Based on? I don't think this game will be on any console this year though.

i said 2018 not 2017
just an educated guess.

Xbox One release is targeted as late 2017, but could also be delayed to Q1 if not ready
and up to 1 year later as worst case scenario for Ps4 seems plausible.

but you're right of course.
right now, nobody knows anything certain. not even the developer. you just can plan a fix release date far into the future for those kind of games.

They will announce it a few weeks before actual release is my bet

I'm amused that Valve seems to not give a shit about their own shooter being overtaken by an early access shooter. This is the latest patch notes:
They aren't really 1:1 experiences. PUBG probably has siphoned some users away from CSGO but PUBG seems way more accessible and wider reaching than Counter-Strike.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
So well deserved. Incredible game, solos vs teams are both awesome very different experiences.

One of my favorite games of all time already. Just can't wait to see where it goes.

Also so glad I can handle a little jank in order to enjoy transcendent gaming experiences. I legitimately feel bad for those of you who can't. Trust me, it's not the million people playing the amazing super addicting game that are missing out.

EndersAres

Neo Member
It's a great game. Especially since there hasn't been any great multiplayer games in a while on PC. The drought is almost over but I wonder if the games coming out in the near future will quench the thirst of multiplayer folks. I don't think destiny or call of duty will last very long in the pvp departments. Nothing on the horizon as far as I can see. Battlegrounds could be dominant for quite some time and that's fine with me. I also wish all this valve/steam shit would stop bleeding into every thread on the forum.

haozz

I don't get it. I'd rather play CS. PUBG doesn't appeal to me because the probability of winning seems low. Randomness seems to predominate in the beginning of each game.

I've always been a small squad, CoD type multiplayer gamer rather than a player of big Battlefield-style games.

Top Bottom