• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

I'm an exclusive PC gamer with several dozen hours of PUBG played and ... I don't get it.

I understand the hook. I've definitely gleaned enjoyment from the game and the group narratives it vomits up. But I cannot get past its innumerable flaws, the sheer level of jank. It controls horribly. The netcode is wretched. The presentation is awful. Everything is tacky and crude and incomplete, and progress is painfully slow considering the money they're taking down.

I got what I needed from it and burned out fast, and it would take a lot for it to get to a place where I could be happier with it; as it is, I keep fantasizing about how good it would be if a AAA developer and publisher were brave enough to make a cruel battle royale game where everything was polished to a fine edge.

JDB

Banned
I have to admit, I played 400 hours just to be part of the conversation.
Logging on now to be part of the 1m peak population ^_^
It controls horribly. The netcode is wretched.
I mean, opinions and all that I suppose, but I feel like you're being a bit dramatic. Aside from jumping around I don't see any particularly big issues with the controls. It's slower than your usual shooter game. Doesn't mean it's janky. Netcode is a bit inconsistent (especially at the start of matches), but generally it's alright.

Hylian7

No, played with children for two months and then they move onto the next game.

See also: DayZ, H1Z1.

PUBG has lasted a lot longer than that.

People played DayZ for quite a while, and the closest it's gotten to "dying off", was maybe a couple of years ago. Seeing as the mod and standalone had a few years, that's more than just a fad. People were just frustrated (understandably) with DayZ Standalone's development.

H1Z1, the Just Survive bit kind of died off, but the King of the Kill mode really hung around, until PUBG came to eat it's lunch.

Does it matter what the ratio is? It's not about the numbers obviously, it's about the mods giving off the impression that they will favour some streamer over the accused snipers and/or harasser. Being accused because some streamer said so? Fuck that noise.

Jesus Christ think for yourself. Do some research my god.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't get how people can put up with the brutal wave and trough of this game to get it this popular. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but it is unforgiving.

I just feel rediculously guilty repeatedly throwing 20 minutes away to looting with the result to never even pull the trigger or see an enemy.

I'm not special, I'm sure others go through the same bad nights. How they cope with throwing away time like that I dont know. It drove me nuts so I had to quit.

Vipu

Banned
I'm an exclusive PC gamer with several dozen hours of PUBG played and ... I don't get it.

I understand the hook. I've definitely gleaned enjoyment from the game and the group narratives it vomits up. But I cannot get past its innumerable flaws, the sheer level of jank. It controls horribly. The netcode is wretched. The presentation is awful. Everything is tacky and crude and incomplete, and progress is painfully slow considering the money they're taking down.

I got what I needed from it and burned out fast, and it would take a lot for it to get to a place where I could be happier with it; as it is, I keep fantasizing about how good it would be if a AAA developer and publisher were brave enough to make a cruel battle royale game where everything was polished to a fine edge.

First you have to realize AAA devs will never make good version of PUBG, they will only make simpler and easier version with DLC and other crap.

Vipu

Banned
I just don't get how people can put up with the brutal wave and trough of this game to get it this popular. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but it is unforgiving.

I just feel rediculously guilty repeatedly throwing 20 minutes away to looting with the result to never even pull the trigger or see an enemy.

I'm not special, I'm sure others go through the same bad nights. How they cope with throwing away time like that I dont know. It drove me nuts so I had to quit.

Its your playstyle then, if you drop to more populated areas you can have instant action.
Seems like you dropped to most distant location just to loot that 20min.

Wardancer

Neo Member

People tend to realise that they need to practise shooting so they make sure to drop near other people, not necessarily the school or military base since thats just a RNG clusterfuck but you drop near those places that typically has 4-8 people and fight it out.

People also really, really like the shooting mechanics (Im one of them) because they feel super satisfying and rewards good aim and tactics so even if you only get 1 or 2 good fights in a game that is enough to carry it into the next round.

It also helps to play with friends, i would have stopped playing a long time ago if all I was doing was solos but I basically only play squads and duos and it is extremely rewarding.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

If you see gaming, or losing at a game, as throwing away time then you made the right decision. PUBG isn't for people who cannot handle not winning at everything.

The one thing I hope AAA devs and publishers take from PUBG isn't Battle Royale = success but that they can give players a bit more credit. The stakes can be higher, a multiplayer game can be unforgiving and being less forgiving and having the higher stakes results in highs that will hook your players better than shitty progression systems, weapon/perk unlocks and all the other RPGlite elements they currently use. Let the satisfaction of overcoming the challenge be the hook.

patapuf

The one thing I hope AAA devs and publishers take from PUBG isn't Battle Royale = success but that they can give players a bit more credit. The stakes can be higher, a multiplayer game can be unforgiving and being less forgiving and having the higher stakes results in highs that will hook your players better than shitty progression systems, weapon/perk unlocks and all the other RPGlite elements they currently use. Let the satisfaction of overcoming the challenge be the hook.

Yep, this is what i hope as well.

PUBG also has one advantage other games with longer matches, like MOBAS or a CS competitive match, don't.

If you loose, you can immediately restart a match. There is no long stretch of time where you have to finish a match you know you will loose. And quitting early doesn't screw over anyone.

Thanks to that, PUBG can avoid a lot of the toxicity other comptetive games have to deal with.

It is a lot more fun to treat the game like a crazy 5 minute deathmatch where you end up with a ton of loot if you kill everyone, and get right back into the battle if you die. I almost always drop into the busiest areas.

jeffc919

Frustrating losses like this make the rush of winning that much greater.

creatchee

You should reexamine why you play games - I don't say that in any sort of disparaging way either. Playing games for purely competitive reasons and wanting to win on an even battleground is completely okay. But at that point, you have to divorce that with "fun" and "wasted time" because you are looking for competition and fulfillment of desire/drive of victory, which is different.

The thing about that is this: in a solo game, you have (assuming all players are equal in skill) a 1 in 100 (1%) chance of winning. In duos, it's 1 in 50 (2%) and in squads it's 1 in 25 (4%). Those aren't good odds. Now obviously skill and RNG on loot will alter your odds, but as a baseline, you shouldn't expect to win most of your matches unless you are a truly gifted player - and even then, your MMR will put you with other similarly talented players.

The point being, don't expect to win.

If you see gaming, or losing at a game, as throwing away time then you made the right decision. PUBG isn't for people who cannot handle not winning at everything.

This. One thousand times this. Some of my friends are of the "I'm not winning so this isn't fun" variety - and that's for any game. It's a mental issue rather than an issue with the game and is probably indicative of some greater problem in their lives than a stupid video game.

That's an interesting way to look at it. 99 out of 100 players in a PUBG server lose the game. It is the absolute antithesis of the "everyone who participates is a winner" school of thought and/or game design that is kind of prevalent these days.

I do have some level of understanding for people who don't "get" the game because it's really hard to describe the feeling of being in the last circle with just 4-6 people alive. That sort of tension has to be experienced for yourself to understand what makes this game so special.

Although I'm pretty sure most people shitting on the game in this thread have never even played it, let alone got close to winning.

Vipu

Banned
Lol

I though that was DotA 2.

Anyway, I checked some videos and was not impressed.

Maybe it because I barely have free time to play on PC anymore (._.)

Video just shows you about what kind of stuff it is, if you dont like shooters at all then sure, everyone doesnt like it.

But if you like shooters and it didnt impress then you have to play it yourself to really understand it.

longdi

Banned
Yep, this is what i hope as well.

PUBG also has one advantage other games with longer matches, like MOBAS or a CS competitive match, don't.

If you loose, you can immediately restart a match. There is no long stretch of time where you have to finish a match you know you will loose. And quitting early doesn't screw over anyone.

Thanks to that, PUBG can avoid a lot of the toxicity other comptetive games have to deal with.

I hated that about BF.
But i expect the next BF will have a br game mode, which imo is a nice middle ground between BF and PUBG.

Poppy

i play duos most of the time and honestly it isnt that big a deal if we win or lose, we just chat and stuff in the meantime anyway

that being said we won last night HO YEAH

I don’t know if I would say the game “sucks” but it has several major flaws that I consider fundamental and too much to overlook for me personally. A few of them could be overcome with time and effort, but some of them will always be there barring a core redesign.

I understand why people like the game, but it’s fascinating to see what aspects of it people have been willing to give a pass to in order to get the good parts.
It's not about giving something a pass. All games, all media, work like this. A weighing of strengths and weaknesses, and judging whether the strengths outweigh the flaws. It's how divisive works and cult classics exists

MUnited83

For you.
I don’t know if I would say the game “sucks” but it has several major flaws that I consider fundamental and too much to overlook for me personally. A few of them could be overcome with time and effort, but some of them will always be there barring a core redesign.

I understand why people like the game, but it’s fascinating to see what aspects of it people have been willing to give a pass to in order to get the good parts.

Honestly it completely upends a lot of what major games are doing, and even though I may not like PUBG itself, I’m eager to see how it causes shifts in the industry.

I'm curious. What are these "flaws" and "aspects people have been willing to give a pass"?

Logging on now to be part of the 1m peak population ^_^

I mean, opinions and all that I suppose, but I feel like you're being a bit dramatic. Aside from jumping around I don't see any particularly big issues with the controls. It's slower than your usual shooter game. Doesn't mean it's janky. Netcode is a bit inconsistent (especially at the start of matches), but generally it's alright.
Everything in the game is laggy and floaty. Every action. Every movement. The first-person mode is a bad first-person mode. Hitreg is bad. Parachuting and landing feels inconsistent. Driving is clunky. Even freelooking while running feels more awkward than it should. The looting and equip screen in general is unbelievably lazy and entry-level. All of this is exacerbated by a framerate that is only consistent in its inconsistency and netcode that makes simple actions feels like rolling dice. Only some of these have things have improved over the last many months and only incrementally.

Nothing in the game feels satisfying to do except shooting, sometimes, when armor and hitreg and latency don't make it seem like your shots are't working fully. Which is often.

Honestly, PUBG's biggest feat to me is that it's obviously so much fun for so many to experience in spite of literally everything else about it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's how I feel too, technically it's pretty bad from top to bottom but it's extremely fun and addictive. Normally I would drop and refund a game in this state but PUBG kept me hooked despite its countless flaws. I honestly don't see it being finished properly by their proposed release window, it's just nowhere near done IMO. I've been playing FPP and it just feels off, the fluidity just isn't there and the hitreg is so inconsistent. Overall the game is just janky as hell, but I can't stop playing it.

JDB

Banned
Everything in the game is laggy and floaty. Every action. Every movement. The first-person mode is a bad first-person mode. Hitreg is bad. Parachuting and landing feels inconsistent. Driving is clunky. Even freelooking while running feels more awkward than it should. The looting and equip screen in general is unbelievably lazy and entry-level. All of this is exacerbated by a framerate that is only consistent in its inconsistency and netcode that makes simple actions feels like rolling dice. Only some of these have things have improved over the last many months and only incrementally.

Nothing in the game feels satisfying to do except shooting, sometimes, when armor and hitreg and latency don't make it seem like your shots are't working fully. Which is often.

Honestly, PUBG's biggest feat to me is that it's obviously so much fun for so many to experience in spite of literally everything else about it.
Agree to disagree I guess. Playing early access games made me numb to most of the stuff people refer to as "jank". I barely see it anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious. What are these "flaws" and "aspects people have been willing to give a pass"?

. Awful audio, the sound mix is all over the place with some sounds being too quiet and others being insanely loud, it's impossible to strike a happy medium where you can hear everything you need to without being deafened by the red zone, vehicles, plane, rain etc. Plus the directional audio is poor.

. Poor servers which cause micro freezing, the game will hitch for a second often, when I'm playing squads I'll call these hitches out and everyone else experiences them at the exact same time, so it's not hardware related.

. Horrible performance, my PC is capable of running every game on the market at 60-144fps on a mix of high/ultra, maybe the odd setting to medium in very demanding games but in PUBG I'm playing with everything on very low and I still drop under 60fps in certain areas, plus the game looks really bad on these settings.

. Every time I open my inventory the game lags, I've seen this happen to countless streamers with top of the line hardware so it's not just me.

. So much is done client side, this makes for a very inconsistent experience, especially with smokes (thinking you're covered when you're not) and bullet reg.

. I don't suffer with it but the no texture bug is still rampant for many people.

. Lots of clunky animations, for example landing at the start of game, trying to jump over stuff (will be fixed with vaulting but it's still a problem now), your gun pushing up when you're next to a window even if it's open. Plus shooting stuff that looks to be under your weapon, for example you're looking over a small wall shooting but your bullets are hitting the wall, even though your gun is clearly way above it.

. Vehicles, they still flip, blow up and kill you in very odd ways.

Off the top of my head, there's probably plenty more issues. I love the game but denying it's a mess is just delusional IMO. I think they need a year to fix everything, not a few months.

Vipu

Banned
We will see that in next patch we get --^
Maybe when they get this much time polish the patch etc they will fix those things 1 by 1

Top Bottom