• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Iwata's feet are going to be held to the fire- they will not get close to their shipment projections.

Call of Duty: 9 mainline games in 8 years.
Animal Crossing: 4 mainline games in 12 years.

So what? It doesn't change the fact that they're sequels. And are rarely if ever hugely different than prior titles. Hell, the top 10 for Japan probably has 2 Pokemon games in the top 10. That's right, two games that are 99.9 percent exactly the same in the top 10. Lament the US list all you want, it's similar the world over.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
There's always going to be blockbusters. Do you honestly think The Artist outgrossed The Avengers anywhere in the world?

No, I don't think that. Never said I did. I am expressing my disappointment in this. That is all. I am fully aware of what garners more media attention and what doesn't.

-17.6 percent isnt bad for 360, since recent drops had been about 25% year over year.

but less than 700k for ps3 is really bad. ouch. idc report lol.

i guess the 50 dollar off promotion helped. most promotions ms does do usually work out.

wii u isn't surprising, getting harder and harder to defend that system's sales.

We don't know the Wii U number, could be fine (600K) could be not fine (less than 450K) could be disaster (less than 300K), but we do know it wasn't great (not more than 600K).

That said, regardless of what they end up being for December, they are going to be nasty from now until probably August (because that's how Nintendo rolls).

EDIT: 460K puts it right on the cusp of not good, but again, not a disaster.

schuelma

460k?

I can call that bad with Schuelma's seal of approval!

You sure can!

Terrible number.

Just for some perspective, Japan, a much smaller market, is at 700K sold in about 3 weeks less.

Seda

This part of the PR wasn't posted:

• New Super Mario Bros. U has now sold more than 580,000 units, an attach rate of more than 65 percent.
  • Nintendo 3DS sold more than 1.25 million units in December and has crossed 7.7 million units sold life to date.
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 became the fourth Nintendo 3DS title to surpass 1 million units sold in the U.S., and has now sold more than 1.45 million units life to date.
  • Nintendo 3DS continues to outpace the historic sales rate of Nintendo DS.
  • Wii sold nearly 475,000 units and crossed 40.8 million units sold life to date.
  • Ubisoft’s Just Dance 3 became the 10th Wii title to sell more than 5 million units life to date.
  • Nintendo DS sold nearly 470,000 units and crossed 53 million units sold life to date.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We don't know the Wii U number, could be fine (600K) could be not fine (less than 450K) could be disaster (less than 300K), but we do know it wasn't great (not more than 600K).

That said, regardless of what they end up being for December, they are going to be nasty from now until probably August (because that's how Nintendo rolls).

Um, read above.

LiK

huh

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/289521520454279169

Rm302.png

Note that Just Dance 4 sold better on Wii U than PS3. So it cuts lots of different directions.
Yeah, it makes sense seeing as Just Dance was established on the Wii platform.
From NOA: Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks
So there it is.
It certainly seems so. *strokes bulge*
Is that a vita in your pants or are you just happy to see some positive vita news? I'd assume it's the latter. ;)
This part of the PR wasn't posted:
They're not even outselling the Wii? Ouch

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is the order in which the SKUs are mentioned reflective of the sales of each one relative to the other?
Yes, the order in the list is decreasing order of sales.

Someone confirmed that at one point, I think...
That was me. I asked NPD directly. And, they confirmed its in decreasing order of sales.

NPD has repeatedly said that the order of the consoles isn't reflective of their relative sales.

Despite this, they seem to make an added effort to make it seem like a plausible ordering in terms of relative sales.
Wrong.

Having seen many numbers since they started doing this, they're definitely, for sure reflective of sales order by platform.
Right.

So is the Vita version.

I find it almost impossible to believe that the Wii U version of multiplatform games are getting outsold by the Vita. That just seems completely nuts.

edit: ah okay so its not in order? even though it seems like it is? weird but makes sense.
It is in order.

Sheesh. :)

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL 360 tripled Wii U's numbers. That's just nuts. A system in it's launch period shouldn't be getting TRIPLED by its competitor unless the demand overran the supply, which it didn't. Third party numbers must be completely atrocious, where's creamsugar at?

And LOL at the revenue line by Nintendo. They didn't bother mentioning the overall attach rate, they just flat out said "Mario attach rate." From now on Nintendo will just be using a Mario to Console attach ratio in their press releases.

gaming_noob

460K in December means sub 200k numbers per month from now until the next holiday. How long until Durango outsells this? December 2013?

schuelma

So we have the following for Wii U sales:

UK= Mega bomba

U.S- bomba

Japan- meh, not a bomba yet.

Anywhere else?

PhantomR

Banned
1.25 million 3DS systems sold? VERY impressive.

Despite all the "pressure" from tablets and phones, 3DS is still going on very strong. Good to see.

Top Bottom