• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

So we're looking at:

Wii U: 460k
Wii + 3DS + NDS: 2.19m

So is the DS beasting or the 3DS?

Wii probably also did 400k + (going by november) and i would guess NDS making up a good chunk of the remaining 1.4 mill aswell

edit: well thats why i don't make predictions lol

MrDaravon

dat spin from Nintendo, goddamn son. 460k is baaaaaaaad.

Oh shit the Wii sold more than the Wii U in December? Jesus Christ. That is also a pretty crazy attach rate for NSMB U though.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Are people adding the 460k Wii U units before or after including the Wii units sold?

They said it was $30 mil more than what the Wii sold, right?

EDIT: Oh no wait, I didn't read the whole thing. It was 460k.

Bad news bears for Nintendo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From NOA: Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks

That's possibly the weakest damage limitation PR piece I've ever read.

When box is taking about taking $1.27bn, Nintendo are trumpeting a mere $30m increase in net sales from a console significantly more expensive?

Wii U: 460K [The Wii launch was 604K]

bomb.

holy crap

Nintendo must be freaking the fuck out

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. this isn't just any month. Its the xmas holiday sales.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
460k is pretty bad, unless WiiU hits an upswing from positive word of mouth through casuals, it is going to have a longggggg six months ahead of it with the current software schedule.

Dabanton

Wow... what led the sharp drop for PS3? No big hitter games in Nov/Dec?

Probably that and having an ugly new machine.

I also still don't understand who at Sony thought that having PSASBR as your big 'core' game was a smart idea.

That game was destined to bomb.

I thought I was lowballing when I guessed Wii U would do 550k in December. Pachter said it was going to be 750k. Utter flop for Nintendo considering there was nothing constrained about the Wii U(other than demand). Can one man be an ambassador twice? I hope I get a special hat.

So we're looking at:

Wii + 3DS + NDS: 2.19m

So is the DS beasting or the 3DS?

Apparently the 3DS.

Full Nintendo figures:

3DS: 1250k
Wii: 475k
NDS: 470k

More people buying Wiis than Wii Us. Consumer confusion, or people just not wanting to fork over $250+?

Miles X

1.25 million 3DS systems sold? VERY impressive.

Despite all the "pressure" from tablets and phones, 3DS is still going on very strong. Good to see.

Second holiday season, should be seeing growth before a third year peak, expect it dropped 350k yoy, not that great tbh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
WiiU looking dead in the west, maybe it can carve out a Japanese only life. Our american cousins chart the path blazed by the UK's total indifference to this clearly unlaunchworthy console!

Or theres always a chance some Nintendogs/Brain Training hype explosion can save the day like with the DS.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The main problem for the Wii U is still the Wii, I bet the Wii sales are above the Wii U.

AzaK

Wii U did worse than PS3 first December?
It did? Ow.

460K in December means sub 200k numbers per month from now until the next holiday. How long until Durango outsells this? December 2013?
Is that guesswork or the pattern of things? If the latter, that's not good. Nintendo will have to start handing out GCN stickers for our Wii Us :)

The main problem for the Wii U is still the Wii, I bet the Wii sales are above the Wii U.
Well it's be hard to compete on price if you're wanting a basic console that's for sure. However Wii U should be doing better with solid marketting and games.

gdt

The joy some people get from something underperforming always puzzles me.

image.php

see5harp

No, I don't think that. Never said I did. I am expressing my disappointment in this. That is all. I am fully aware of what garners more media attention and what doesn't.

By saying Americans though, you imply that it is different elsewhere. I can understand your frustration with seeing the same names over and over but it's the same sorta landscape in every region if you are looking at a top 10 list.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
December 2006 NPD for comparison:

Nintendo DS - 1600K
Wii - 604,200
360 - 1100K
PS2 - 1500K
PS3 - 490,700
PSP - 953,200

So what? It doesn't change the fact that they're sequels. And are rarely if ever hugely different than prior titles. Hell, the top 10 for Japan probably has 2 Pokemon games in the top 10. That's right, two games that are 99.9 percent exactly the same in the top 10. Lament the US list all you want, it's similar the world over.

I'm complaining at all. The difference is that the US chart has 90% of games that are yearly entries. Call of Duty, Madden, Assassin's Creed, Just Dance, Fifa, etc. YEARLY releases. Japanese chart is different. It has also less exploited IPs, and new IPs (Fantasy Life is the last one, for example).

Bad numbers for Wii U and I'm doubtful they are going to lower the price this time around. I wonder what they'll do now... announcing more games is probably the only thing that can help them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I do think it is an issue, but one that could have been minimized with a better price point and competent marketing.

460K is fucking awful for a non supply constrained console in December.
This. I wonder if Nintendo avoided giving out additional numbers because they didn't want to divulge how badly the Wii outsold the Wii U last month.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Apparently they did give out Wii/3DS numbers - just wasn't in the OP.

Top Bottom