• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

Good stuff. As someone who has been playing since NES this one was so much fun. Went in thinking it would be the biggest disappointment ever but even with warts and all it really delivered for me. Can't wait to play through with all DLC.

jackal27

Banned
Glad to hear that it did well. Gives me hope that I'll get to play a mainline Final Fantasy someday that actually gets me excited.

(actually I'm excited for XII HD)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I know XIII ended up being one of the best selling entries in the series (despite the lackluster sales of the sequels). Does XV have any chance of overtaking XIII in total?

Not a chance. XIII has one key ingredient that XV lacks:

Lightning.

Loris146

Cross posting from the other thread :

Final Fantasy XV experienced the best console launch month in the history of the franchise selling 19 percent more new physical units than Final Fantasy XIII in its launch month and 54% more in total dollar revenue including digital full game sales.

FF XIII sold 1.321 ML in March 2010. So FF XV sold 1.572 ML at retail ?

Can someone confirm ?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I only played the intro for a couple of hours yesterday and the cutscenes felt a little disjointed but when the game started with the music and banter between the boys I fell in love.

Despite some flaws, the game has a lot of charm and I already can't wait to spend more time with the boys.

Blobbers

I don't know if I like this. This might encourage them to make FF XVI open world as well when in reality the next entry should just simply be 7 Pitioss-style dungeons back to back along with some emotional story cutscenes thrown in.

Don't follow the money, SE.

Griss

Underserved but good for square enix, and hopefully they do better next time. I suppose they could hardly do worse than the 10 year fiasco this was.

xabbott

Just saw Gears and DR didnt make it into top 10. WOW
I also saw Last Gaurdian made it for ps4. Last guardian did good.

Normally I'd say Gears was old by then but somehow Horizon ended up on Xbox's top 10. So the diversity of the xbox players may just be greater than expected.

~Cross~

I know XIII ended up being one of the best selling entries in the series (despite the lackluster sales of the sequels). Does XV have any chance of overtaking XIII in total?

Depends. There is a very good chance that it will if you account the inevitable "Directors Cut" that'll come out when the DLC and expansion come out. That and the PC version

Kacho

Congrats to the team on salvaging this mess. I hope to pick this up at some point. FF16 should be a return to form for the series.

Made the top 10 in the yearly charts too (at 10th place).

Incredible sales.

FF maintains its relevance.

Lightning did not kill FF confirmed! (hope we can finally put that BS to rest)

Easily. XIII shipped 6.8 millon units WW on PS3/X360 during its lifetime. FF XV has already shipped 6 million units globally. It will outsell XIII.

kennyamr

It may not be the greatest FF game ever... and it may not even be close to hold that title, but in the end it was my second favorite game of the year, after The Last Guardian, so well deserved.

Loved aspects of the game, hated some, but I'm glad it's selling damn well, means will get another one at some point and if they can refine what they did in this it will be amazing.

Flawed as it is, I still loved my time with XV, and I'm happy that despite the history this game has, it got released and is apparently doing very well.

Astral Dog

This is the first mainline Final Fantasy i buy since VI.

While the game is questionable at parts i thought Square Enix deserved my money for actually releasing the damn thing

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Made the top 10 in the yearly charts too (at 10th place).

Incredible sales.

FF maintains its relevance.

Lightning did not kill FF confirmed! (hope we can finally put that BS to rest)

LOL

People are still fuming about her all these years later. What an icon.

Let's see Noctis get his own trilogy. I'm waiting 😂

wildfire

Banned
Worst Japanese launch, best launch overall?

Square Enix already said it themselves.

Final fantasy for the West and Dragonquest for Japan. That's where these games dominate while they are floundering elsewhere. Though considering that Final Fantasy was a huge seller in Japan this should concern Square as they can't make a game that caters to their domestic and international market equally well. They'll have to experiment with new IPs to get it right.

~Cross~

SE just can't pass FFXV-2 after this.

If you count the expansion that they are doing FFXV-2 then sure, they wont pass on it. But SE isn't going to release a full FFXV-2 like it did with the other lightning games. People got exhausted by them in the end and you can probably get more people to get an expansion than another full release.

kromeo

Not commenting at all on the quality of the game but the fact it was open world pretty much guaranteed good sales

Lingitiz

It's a deeply flawed mess of a game, and yet I loved it and am excited for the franchise again. Glad to see it's success.

I wonder if the positive review scores and success of the game will make them think they have to make all FF games open world going forward. While I enjoyed the game it wasn't because of the open world nature of the game. I just hope they don't feel they've backed themselves into a corner.

Mcdohl

OP might want to add it did well on Xbox too according to this:

JLkc.png

duckroll

Holy shit wrap it up Japan. FFXVI to feature Captain America and Iron Patriot breaking bad in an open world adventure with a cover of Champagne Supernova as the theme song.

Boke1879

I don't know why people expect the next game to not be open world or at least a form of it.

I'm interested in seeing how Remake is now and what direction that takes.

synce

To be fair it launched during the holidays and it's been at $40 practically the whole time, while FF13 launched in March and I don't recall it immediately getting a discount but I didn't pay much attention either

Top Bottom