• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

Gbraga

Man, Last Guardian making it into the top 10 feels great! What does that usually mean, as far as number go? Will we ever have an answer, or only if Sony talks about it?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't know why people expect the next game to not be open world or at least a form of it.

I'm interested in seeing how Remake is now and what direction that takes.

I'm not.

If the same team that made XV is doing the Remake then they can keep it.

Not happening, sounds like they will just keep releasing DLC and expansions.

Unless there plans changes.

Just a joke haha.

I'm glad it sold well. I love the world. Throw in a structured story and it would have been an even more amazing game. I guess that what happens with the crossover from versus to xv.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So how long till this turns into a salt thread?

No salt here. All the game needs is a director's cut and it's fine. The gameplay is great but the story has editing/pacing issues that weren't as apparent in other FF mainline games. Making your playerbase dependent on a movie and anime series-prequel isn't a good way to do storytelling and should be taken as a lesson for the future.

BumRush

Pretty happy for SE right now. They're turning the ship around, which is something I honestly didn't think was going to happen.

kswiston

Holy shit wrap it up Japan. FFXVI to feature Captain America and Iron Patriot breaking bad in an open world adventure with a cover of Champagne Supernova as the theme song.

Haha. That would actually sell well. But change the song to The Boys are Back in Town. This isnt the UK!

Koozek

bdxRlau.gif

Meowster

OP might want to add it did well on Xbox too according to this:
This is... interesting. I assumed it was being left to bomb quietly on the Xbox One. Glad to see there is support for it there. Sounds like that's better than what XIII got. Hope that means good news for the series in the future (and Kingdom Hearts).

Amirnol

Whether you liked the game or not, this is only a good thing for the future of the franchise as well as other JRPGs. Can we just be unanimously happy for once?

RedSwirl

Isn't XV the first mainline FF game to launch in North America at the same time as Japan? That might have something to do with it.

Square Enix already said it themselves.

Final fantasy for the West and Dragonquest for Japan. That's where these games dominate while they are floundering elsewhere. Though considering that Final Fantasy was a huge seller in Japan this should concern Square as they can't make a game that caters to their domestic and international market equally well. They'll have to experiment with new IPs to get it right.

I think that's a matter of platform just as much as appeal of the game itself. The biggest thing holding back XV in Japan is probably the fact that it's a PS4 game and not a Vita game or mobile game. It's why DQXI is also coming out on 3DS. For a franchise as much about bleeding-edge production values as Final Fantasy has been since VII, that presents an almost existential problem.

This problem is part of the reason Nintendo made the Switch -- to try to have one platform and maybe in some cases one game that really does appeal to the west and Japan at the same time. I think in the end it's going to end up appealing more to Japan.

Considering it is the second or 3rd best selling game of the year in Japan and likely will be PS4's top selling game for eternity....no?

FF 15 LTD sales are like 1/4 of series peak in Japan. There are less people that care about the franchise than ever before. Meanwhile, the US is seeing renewed interest.

Considering it is the second or 3rd best selling game of the year in Japan and likely will be PS4's top selling game for eternity....no?

In US it did record launch for the series. In Japan it had the lowest single-player FF debut since Final Fantasy V‘s SNES release in 1992. It will also have the worst total sales in japan since Final Fantasy II (760,000 units).

SE just can't pass FFXV-2 after this.

I'm not really sure what they could do with a FFXV-2. A prequel might make more sense. Hilariously, Noctis replacing Lightning's role in the hot mess god/goddess plots of XIII-2 and LR would actually link up better to FFXV's ending than Lightning's abrupt role did with FFXIII's ending.

pablito

I felt the game severly lacking, but I'm still happy that it's selling. I didn't hate what they were going for, and would like to see more FF in the future. Also any incentive to fill out FFXV is fine with me. Looking forward to its updates.

FF 15 LTD sales are like 1/4 of series peak in Japan. There are less people that care about the franchise than ever before. Meanwhile, the US is seeing renewed interest.

In US it did record launch for the series. In Japan it had the lowest single-player FF debut since Final Fantasy V‘s SNES release in 1992. It will also have the worst total sales in japan since Final Fantasy II (760,000 units).

And the console market in US & Japan are comparable in popularity atm? They're not.

I get his point but the game is still a success in Japan for 2016.

RedSwirl

Holy shit wrap it up Japan. FFXVI to feature Captain America and Iron Patriot breaking bad in an open world adventure with a cover of Champagne Supernova as the theme song.

Wouldn't be surprised if an FFXVI that stayed on console pulled an RE7, and went ahead and just hired American writers for the story.

poodaddy

Great news for the franchise in general, and hopefully it means good things about a potential pc port down the road.

Village

FF16
To star the guy that looked kinda like an ff character from that one cod story gif

notaskwid

Seems to be in line with the overall software sales for consoles in Japan, nearly every series is down from previous entries on consoles, the only one up that comes to mind is Persona.

Isn't XV the first mainline FF game to launch in North America at the same time as Japan? That might have something to do with it.

I think that's a matter of platform just as much as appeal of the game itself. The biggest thing holding back XV in Japan is probably the fact that it's a PS4 game and not a Vita game or mobile game. It's why DQXI is also coming out on 3DS. For a franchise as much about bleeding-edge production values as Final Fantasy has been since VII, that presents an almost existential problem.

This problem is part of the reason Nintendo made the Switch -- to try to have one platform and maybe in some cases one game that really does appeal to the west and Japan at the same time. I think in the end it's going to end up appealing more to Japan.

The platform did not hold back FFXV in Japan .
FFXIII sold 900k more on a smaller PS3 user base .
Japan just don't like the game as much as the rest of the world .

Also mainline FF save from mobile for now .

Toki767

I guess XBox gamers will buy big JRPG's.

KH3 might not bomb there :p

I suspect while the US platform split will make Xbox seem viable for JRPGs, when those numbers get added to the worldwide platform split, it'll definitely be under 20% Xbox sales.

Top Bottom