• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

AP90

1.) Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PS4, Vita)
2.) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3.) Minecraft (360, PS3 ,Xbox One, PS4)
4.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5.) Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour (PS4, Xbox One)
6.) The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
7.) Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
8.) Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
9.) FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
10.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Wow for the bolded ones above.

Toxa

you can't beat dat bundle

11903906_1665827673631478_2143848611062069781_n.jpg

Usobuko

Banned
The gap looks impressive on raw number but increasingly miniscule in actual term comparing to the growing ltd of both consoles. I expect Sony would start shifting a gear, taking advantage of ps plus and ps now.

GoW 3 sales is good enough for a port at that price. It probably helps to be a future candidate for ps+ games too.

Kusagari

God of War sales aren't surprising to me.

I doubt Gears does anywhere near as bad. Multiplayer is a reason for fans to actually drop the cash on it again.

allan-bh

God of War sales aren't surprising to me.

I doubt Gears does anywhere near as bad. Multiplayer is a reason for fans to actually drop the cash on it again.

God of War 3 is one of the the worst remasters that I've ever seen. (In the sense of being very similar to PS3 version).

Gears Ultimate will do so much better and not just because multiplayer, it's almost like a remake, they remade a lot of things.

Loudninja

God of War 3 is one of the the worst remasters that I've ever seen. (In the sense of being very similar to PS3 version).

Gears Ultimate will do so much better and not just because multiplayer, it's almost like a remake, they remade a lot of thing.
Eh its the same as the other GOW remasters.

They locked the framerate which was no where near 60 on the PS3.

Swass

GoW 3 sales is good enough for a port at that price. It probably helps to be a future candidate for ps+ games too.

Sure thing, and one they don't have to pay for.. I always assumed that's why they did the port in the first place as it wasn't anything anyone was asking for and wasn't a very good package to boot.

Javin98

Banned
Damn, so the PS4 sold 218K in July. Still a decent number, but I overshot my predictions. :(

Edit:
Anyone here besides me think that it's possible XB1 has to compete with a 1 million gap in October?

They'll probably manage to reduce it by more than half again like last year. The Cycle will continue
This depends on many factors, honestly. With the BB promotion going on currently and bundles later this month, the XB1 has a good chance of winning August, though the PS4 might still be ahead. It's hard to tell as of now. But more importantly, Sony is very likely to drop the price before the holiday season. The question is when. I'm still predicting a price drop to $299 at TGS next month. If my predictions are right, then September could greatly favour the PS4 in sales, with MGSV and the TTK bundle coming out in September as well. I think the PS4 has a really good chance of winning the holiday season this time around. If Sony announces bundles for COD BO3 and Battlefront, the PS4 will do amazingly well in November. Either way, both consoles will do extremely well this holiday season.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Gears Ultimate will do so much better and not just because multiplayer, it's almost like a remake, they remade a lot of things.

It's exactly what a remaster should be, they upped the resolution to 1080p and locked the framerate at 60 as opposed to 720p/40 fps on PS3. What were you expecting? If you want a bad remaster go and look at Prototype or Silent Hill.

Gears is a full-on remake, there's no sense in comparing the two.

Donny

I just got my Xbox One after being a PS + PC gamer only.
pls tell me I did the right thing gaf...

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what games to get since I've got the MCC and am still going through the previous Gears of War games on the 360. Anyone care to share what games I should get on the Xbox One?

allan-bh

It's exactly what a remaster should be, they upped the resolution to 1080p and locked the framerate at 60 as opposed to 720p/40 fps on PS3. Exactly what were you expecting.

Gears is a full-on remake, there's no sense in comparing the two.

Several remasters were improved much more than GoW 3 in this gen so I don't know what you talking about.

And Gears it's not a remake in the strict sense of the word.

truth411

I don’t like to get into the argument of what wins what and what matters more than what, but the overall picture of Xbox’s line-up compared to PS4’s line-up is more nuanced than just what you laid down.

Xbox has a stronger fall line-up for the mainstream audience, with Halo & Tomb Raider being the headlining games. But when it comes to Gears and Forza, I think it’s debatable that on Sony’s exclusives side, they have enough of their own to match it pound-for-pound. Uncharted Collection is more than a match for Gears Ultimate, and considering a large percentage of PS4 owners never owned a PS3, it is an appealing package. Forza is a big game, but racing sims in US isn’t a terribly huge market, and it’s got a weaker appeal in the US market compared to the European regions. However, PS4’s other “exclusives” are pretty niche too (Until Dawn, Tearaway, Disgaea 5, Tales of Zestiria, DQ Heroes, SAO) and imo the lot of them combined, more than matches the draw of Forza.

So, my scenario assumes that the ‘advantages’ of Gears/Forza are matched by Uncharted + every other niche exclusive. That puts only Halo 5 and Tomb Raider as the big anchors for Xbox’s fall vs Sony’s.

And yes, those 2 games are huge. But that’s where Sony’s CoD/Battlefront/AssCreed/Destiny marketing & the inclination of MGSV on the Playstation side over the Xbox side come into play. IF, and I say IF, executed well, then I could imagine a scenario where the advantage of 2 huge exclusives, could be matched by 4 huge multiplat marketing deals + 1 big game that’s historically leaning more to the Playstation side over the Xbox side. (MGS)

I don’t think Sony will win the holidays. But I do think they have the resources, even without Uncharted 4/SFV/Ratchet & Clank this holiday season, to match Xbox's sales, or at least, not lose anywhere close to how badly they got #rekt last November.

Honestly, it’s all on the execution. For example, I think Sony largely wasted their GTAV bundle marketing last year by making it super limited, only introducing it on BF, when they should’ve introduced it as early as possible. Whereas MS’s bundle strategy last year, with 2 AssCreed games bundled together, launching as early into the holiday as possible with as much stock as they could ship was excellent.
Great post.

Damn, so the PS4 sold 218K in July. Still a decent number, but I overshot my predictions. :(

Edit:
This depends on many factors, honestly. With the BB promotion going on currently and bundles later this month, the XB1 has a good chance of winning August, though the PS4 might still be ahead. It's hard to tell as of now. But more importantly, Sony is very likely to drop the price before the holiday season. The question is when. I'm still predicting a price drop to $299 at TGS next month. If my predictions are right, then September could greatly favour the PS4 in sales, with MGSV and the TTK bundle coming out in September as well. I think the PS4 has a really good chance of winning the holiday season this time around. If Sony announces bundles for COD BO3 and Battlefront, the PS4 will do amazingly well in November. Either way, both consoles will do extremely well this holiday season.

Why drop the price 100 bucks when PS4 is smashing Nintendo and Xbox worldwide?
(Yeah I know this is an NPD thread). Sony want to keep margins up.

They're gonna go with value bundles to ride out Christmas.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Several remasters were improved much more than GoW 3 in this gen so I don't know what you talking about.

And Gears it's not a remake in the strict sense of the word.

So some remasters are better? How does that make GoW3 a bad remaster?

And Gears is using a new engine and all new assets, in what way is it not a remake?

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what games to get since I've got the MCC and am still going through the previous Gears of War games on the 360. Anyone care to share what games I should get on the Xbox One?

You should check out Sunset Overdrive and Ori. Also Forza Horizon 2 if you like racing games, and Rare Replay is always a nice add in.

allan-bh

So some remasters are better? How does that make GoW3 a bad remaster?

And Gears is using a new engine and all new assets, in what way is it not a remake?

I think it's a poor remaster very similar to PS3 version.

About Gears, it's not a new engine, they remain with UE 3, and remake is when the game code is rewritten from the scratch, there's not the case with Gears Ultimate.

Javin98

Banned

Well, Sony has a history of having the first price drop being a $100 price drop, so I think the same will apply for the PS4. Yes, I'm aware that Sony wants to keep margins up, but keep in mind that Sony also forecasts lower revenues for this year, so I would say a price cut is inevitable. The question is a price drop to $349 or $299. Personally, I'm predicting $299, but after Gopher's post, I see $349 being possible. Also, the limited edition TTK bundle is priced at $399, so I think we'll see a price cut next month.

Destiny doing work,

The real taken will be the Number 1 spot in September

The Taken King by itself won't be in retail, just the retail bundle with the original game and other expansions. I don't imagine that special edition will outsell MGSV on 5 platforms.

Markitron

I think it's a poor remaster very similar to PS3 version.

About Gears, it's not a new engine, they remain with UE 3, and remake is when the game code is rewritten from the scratch, there's not the case with Gears Ultimate.

In what way should it be different? I'm not really sure what your getting at, what is it you want?

I'm no expert on game engines, but the version of UE3 used in the original is completely different than the one used in the Ultimate edition. It's not an up-res of the old game, it has completely rebuilt assets. It's a full-on remake in every way.

Aaron D.

5.) Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour (PS4, Xbox One)

- Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's first month sales exceeded Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 by "close to 70%"

That's a crying shame.

The buzz over Rory PGA got me yearning to play a golf game but I'm primarily a PC guy who doesn't own new-gen consoles. So I opted instead for a used copy of Tiger PGA 14 on 360.

Even with the online server-features shut down Tiger 14 is gd amazing. Like 100% landing on my 2015 GOTY list amazing.

Hearing how bare-bone and janky Rory PGA turned out, it's a shame to see it outselling Tiger 14 and consequently giving EA zero incentive to up their golf game. It just makes me shake my head.

watdaeff4

Yes, I'm aware that Sony wants to keep margins up, but keep in mind that Sony also forecasts lower revenues for this year, so I would say a price cut is inevitable.
Did they predict lower revenues or lower profits? I thought it was lower profit

Big difference and the answer would sway what I think is going to happen.

watdaeff4

The Taken King by itself won't be in retail, just the retail bundle with the original game and other expansions. I don't imagine that special edition will outsell MGSV on 5 platforms.

Agree.

I wonder more how Mad Max will do as it seems interesting but coming out the same month as MGS, TTK, Forza and so close to Madden, Gears, etc. could kill it. I think if it would have come out in the summer it would have been big on the charts

Javin98

Banned
Did they predict lower revenues or lower profits? I thought it was lower profit

Big difference and the answer would sway what I think is going to happen.
Shit, now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I've never been really good at revenues and profits :p

Here is a chart comparing PS4's sales to last year.

1uLusd7.jpg

PS4 HW January-July 2014: 1,762k
PS4 HW January-July 2015: 1,784k

PS4 HW YOY: + 01%

PS4 was up YoY 3/7 months this year, and overall is just about flat YoY.

Well, Sony has a history of having the first price drop being a $100 price drop, so I think the same will apply for the PS4. Yes, I'm aware that Sony wants to keep margins up, but keep in mind that Sony also forecasts lower revenues for this year, so I would say a price cut is inevitable. The question is a price drop to $349 or $299. Personally, I'm predicting $299, but after Gopher's post, I see $349 being possible. Also, the limited edition TTK bundle is priced at $399, so I think we'll see a price cut next month.

When Sony eventually cut the price they wont faff about and go with a $50 cut.
They'll at least go whole hog at $100 but this will be next year.

Sony anticipating lower revenues (though I think it was profits they mentioned) isn't completely dependent on a lower priced PS4.

Could be the shit ton of marketing deals, promotion and bundling worldwide bringing up costs.

I also saw Gopher's post which seemed to explain how Sony treat low margin products.

Elandyll

Banned

Because it's about expanding the userbase, not just being #1 on a monthly list for PR purposes.

Holidays are all about price of entry, not just perceived value, so I definitely see them going down $50 between October and November, if not more.

blakep267

Agree.

I wonder more how Mad Max will do as it seems interesting but coming out the same month as MGS, TTK, Forza and so close to Madden, Gears, etc. could kill it. I think if it would have come out in the summer it would have been big on the charts
I don't know if it will Bomb but it won't do great IMO. Unless it catches great word of mouth like shadow of mordor

watdaeff4

Sony anticipating lower revenues (though I think it was profits they mentioned) isn't completely dependent on a lower priced PS4.

Could be the shit ton of marketing deals, promotion and bundling worldwide bringing up costs.

I
Revenues are directly correlated with a PS4 price point. Profits are tied to it and the things you mention later. Hence my earlier question. If they are saying lower revenues a price drop of some significance is coming. But IIRC they said profit, and while some have the mindset that EA, Activision, etc is asking Sony to market, I think that's silly, Sony is paying $ for those deals. As much as MS would have to pay? Likely not but they are still paying good $ for them and hence cutting into the profit margins

Javin98

Banned
When Sony eventually cut the price they wont faff about and go with a $50 cut.
They'll at least go whole hog at $100 but this will be next year.

I also saw Gopher's post which seemed to explain how Sony treat low margin products.
Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Sony won't drop the price at all this year. The PS4 has been in the market for 21 months without a price cut, the longest of any PlayStation console. I highly doubt that Sony won't drop the price before the PS4 is in the market for 2 years. Also, we have signs that point towards a price drop besides the lower profits. The PS4 just got a revision that is believed to be significantly cheaper to manufacture. I think even a $400 Battlefront bundle will have a hard time competing with the XB1 this holiday season, especially if Microsoft announces bundles of great value. But the main reason of price drops is not to outsell the competition, but to increase the install base, which is why I see a price drop happening before this holiday season.

Jabba

Banned

If you have real interest in buying what they have on offer past and upcoming, of course you did the right thing.

watdaeff4

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Sony won't drop the price at all this year. The PS4 has been in the market for 21 months without a price cut, the longest of any PlayStation console. I highly doubt that Sony won't drop the price before the PS4 is in the market for 2 years. Also, we have signs that point towards a price drop besides the lower profits. The PS4 just got a revision that is believed to be significantly cheaper to manufacture. I think even a $400 Battlefront bundle will have a hard time competing with the XB1 this holiday season, especially if Microsoft announces bundles of great value. But the main reason of price drops is not to outsell the competition, but to increase the install base, which is why I see a price drop happening before this holiday season.

I think a 399 battlefront bundle will be very competitive unless XB1 goes down to $299. Would it beat XB 1 if they had deals like last year, maybe not but it would hold up better than the Black Friday bundle Sony had last year. Star Wars is huge and PS4 is still the preferred console in the U.S. Combine those two and it will sell.

watdaeff4

Gears is not a remake but IMO it's a lot more appealing for my $ than the other GoW remaster is.

One I preordered the other I doubt I get unless it is a PS+ game

stryke

The value proposition isn't very good but if it's the "worst remaster" you've ever seen, you've probably haven't seen very many then.

Top Bottom