• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

RyudBoy

It's a damn shame MS fucked up Halo: MCC. I'm sure they would've sold quite a few more consoles if it weren't for the negative word of mouth.

Still though, a well deserved victory. Continue to give us more top notch games like Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive, and less broken titles and your system will sell a bunch.

I'm not so sure - losing out on GTA V sales has gotta sting, and is a bad sign. They put a lot of eggs in that basket. Sony's obviously got to play it safe, but MS was almost in a bad spot and now they're in a position of being able to dictate parity going forward again.

Was GTA not bundle with PS4 if so the sales would not be there.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I am guessing a price drop this year to around $350 for PS4, maybe that with a pack-in for Holidays next year.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and wait on those calling it a 100k difference until I see some pie charts

This reliance on the 100k figure reminds me of the circle jerk with cboats numbers in the November thread.

Either way, don't call it a comeback. By the end of this generation, Microsoft will be king in the US again. Phil Spencer really has turned around the division since inheriting the Don Mattrick cluster.

libregkd

I'm not so sure - losing out on GTA V sales has gotta sting, and is a bad sign. They put a lot of eggs in that basket. Sony's obviously got to play it safe, but MS was almost in a bad spot and now they're in a position of being able to dictate parity going forward again.
Bundles aren't counted in that chart.

Wow at that software lead.

Individual software sale rankings as they stand were a bit more predictable. Only thing that took me aback was that Watch Dogs beat FIFA15 for 2014 sales. Was about to say that Minecraft being behind GTAV was another surprise, but then this is just retail sales and not digital.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sony lost a good opportunity to sell well in the holidays. The XBone is murdering it (or at least did so in the most important time of the year).

Sony chose to make money. They obviously felt the short term loss was not worth it in the long run, made up for with game license fees, subscriptions, etc.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm always uncertain with the WiiU... :p

"Don't worry, it'll have its 3DS moment any time now!"

Ubisoft still built a great fanbase on Nintendo platforms though.

Caise in point: Just Dance Wii outsold all other skus

no maam

Banned
I almost got a 2nd Xbox one for the price and bundles retailers were offering. They did a great job. I didn't win anything, so I'm done kissing their ass. I'm a little bitter that I spent 500$ last year, but that's all on me.

Beboh13

Banned
Judging by the large gap between 360 sales and PS3 sales, it appears more people upgraded from PS3 to PS4 in the last year. I'd expect more and more of those 360 sales to go to XB1. The future looks bright for Xbox.

2thepoint

Well I guess it's MS' turn to win a generation...

And Smash wasn't?

Oh yeah, definitely.

It's not like PS4 is going to outsell Xbox One for the next 9 months again in US, or the rest of the world forever.

Come the holiday, expect the crazy deals to start again.

I don't know anyone in the right mind who would buy an Xbox One now with the price flip-flopping literally month by month.

It shows absolutely no confidence in the product if you constantly have to attach special promotions or price cuts or free trips to the moon for the console to shift off shelves.

arevin01

Has there even been a month where PS4 destiny tops XB1? We're 3 months in and this is quite odd. The PS4 Destiny Console bundle could be argued back then but I don't think that argument can be made here.

I'm staggered that Smash Bros. did as well this year as it did. For a version on the anemic 3DS and dying Wii U to make the annual Top Ten is one hell of a result.

Duxxy3

I know there were bundles, but I am still shocked at how well Destiny sold on the XB1.

Looking at those December software titles you would think that the U.S. is becoming Xbox land again.

360 still doing incredibly well in software. I would imagine that the 360 sold more than any other console in 2014 (probably in 2015 as well).

Bgamer90

Banned
MS made a very smart move if the trend with the multiplat sales continues in America for the rest of the year alongside the cheaper price of the console.

8 out of 9 multiplats in the top 10 selling better on Xbox One than the PS4 when the latter has the higher userbase. Very surprising.

WinterSoldier

Neo Member
Based on those annual software sale numbers we learn 2 things:

1. People buy the same games every single year.

2. Xbox owners love first person shooters.

Top Bottom