• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

Electret

Amazing performance for FFXV, on both systems. Really impressive!

Console sales breakdown

Might as well post the SKU breakdowns, if you don't mind.

I'm wondering what's going on with Gears considering FH3 was on the list for best Xb1 sellers in Dec and it wasn't. Crazy to see that.

Disappointing indeed. Disappointing debut in its opening month, so I guess there wasn't much WoM propping it up in latter months. Franchise might be due for a switchup. In comparison, Halo is down but still good for AAA games in general, and FH3 has been a pleasant surprise.

FF sales growth for month 1 NPD:

Final Fantasy XII - 896K (2006)

Final Fantasy XIII - 1.326 Million (2010)

Final Fantasy XV - 1.5 Million physical..likely >1.8 Million including digital (2016)

I'm wondering what's going on with Gears considering FH3 was on the list for best Xb1 sellers in Dec and it wasn't. Crazy to see that.

Wakeup call for MS. Churning out barely iterative franchise games results in decay and lack of excitement over time if those series aren't substantially refreshed. I haven't played it, but it seems pretty by the numbers. Great game if you're into that, but I think a huge number of fans just moved on due to lack of interest. MS needs to be willing to retire games. Uncharted 4 went out in its prime and ND will be better for it.

Gears either needs to be re-invented, ala God of War, or better yet, they need to take the core strengths of what makes Gears of War good and apply it to a similar, but different, new IP -- similar to what Naughty Dog did with TLOU.

Every year, we always get the line "Is this the year Call of Duty falls?"

And nope. Even with that massive hate campaign against it, it still comes out on top. I love it.

You should note, that the ranking is revenue based and not just units. The $79 version made a huge chunk of cod sales this year.

Also BF1 origin and xbox one bundle sales are not counted in the ranking ;)

Might as well post the SKU breakdowns, if you don't mind.
Done

Duxxy3

Wakeup call for MS.

Gears either needs to be re-invented, ala God of War, or better yet, they need to take the core strengths of what makes Gears of War good and apply it to a similar, but different, new IP -- similar to what Naughty Dog did with TLOU.

Ugh, god no. Looks awful.

FelipeMGM

Final Fantasy XV on the top 10 for the year surprises me, nice to know its doing really well

I expected a Pokémon there tbh (Im sure that adding the two SKU's would put them there)

allan-bh

Every year, we always get the line "Is this the year Call of Duty falls?"

And nope. Even with that massive hate campaign against it, it still comes out on top. I love it.

Keep in mind that the ranking is based on revenue and CoD has a $80 Legacy Edition that probably attracted much more people than a special edition normally does. Also, this don't include bundle, and last year the CoD bundle was launched very late.

It's possible that Infinite Warfare isn't the number 1 game based on total units sold.

xabbott

I know it's just the US but whenever I see the top games of the year all the concerns I see in gaming forums, subreddits, and social media seem extremely insignificant. I mean in terms of yearly franchise fatigue, how important first party titles are, and how Final Fantasy was going to bomb.

Outside of those I'm surprised Overwatch is that far below The Division. I mean I know it probably has a large number of digital owners but still.

Icolin

Banned

How does it look awful? It still has the boss battles that we've come to expect from the series, but adds in non linear elements, and a bigger focus on story. Plus it continues from God of War 3, which is another big positive for me, as a fan of the previous entries and the lore of the series.

It's all subjective, but I think it looks great, and like RE7, I'm okay with the fact that the gameplay style is different; we've had upwards of 5 games in that particular style, so I'm okay with SSM changing it up.

Electret

Wakeup call for MS. Churning out barely iterative franchise games results in decay and lack of excitement over time if those series aren't substantially refreshed. I haven't played it, but it seems pretty by the numbers. Great game if you're into that, but I think a huge number of fans just moved on due to lack of interest. MS needs to be willing to retire games. Uncharted 4 went out in its prime and ND will be better for it.

I just beat the campaign, and you're not wrong. A really, really solid and well-produced game. But in no way fresh or inventive. Super predictable linear narrative and encounter design, with a pedestrian story. In itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing as there isn't another game quite like it. But if you're looking to expand the franchise - or merely maintain numbers of past entries - something's gotta give.

Danke!

18% share for Pro across Nov in Dec seems reasonable for price-sensitive months.

Regarding the OG Xbox share - it would seem reasonable to think this SKU was driven greatly by low price. Anecdotally it seemed OG bundles were substantially cheaper than anything else. I think there was a 3 game bundle with Gears ultimate that was around $230. I wonder how that might bode for subsequent months.

Meowster

FF sales growth for month 1 NPD:

Final Fantasy XII - 896K (2006)

Final Fantasy XIII - 1.326 Million (2010)

Final Fantasy XV - 1.5 Million physical..likely >1.8 Million including digital (2016)
So people *are* here for new Final Fantasy games... just not spin offs or sequels.

vaporeon

I know it's just the US but whenever I see the top games of the year all the concerns I see in gaming forums, subreddits, and social media seem extremely insignificant. I mean in terms of yearly franchise fatigue, how important first party titles are, and how Final Fantasy was going to bomb.

Outside of those I'm surprised Overwatch is that far below The Division. I mean I know it probably has a large number of digital owners but still.
Today you learned that the vast majority of consumers actually do not go online to complain about video games all day!

GHG

In your opinion but it looks to be one of the most anticipated titles for this/next year. The changes look to be key for the continuation of the franchise.

If MS continue to churn out the same old gears every 2/3 years then the franchise will die a slow death. It was fresh when the first one arrived but now its tired and old, people have moved on.

So people *are* here for new Final Fantasy games... just not spin offs or sequels.

Yup. I still thik the brand as a whole would be rejuvenated if SE scaled back on ALL spin offs. Like eliminated any and all effort on them (okay maybe the mobile ones are too popular to not do this)...but crap like FF explorers we can do without.

Then put all those people to work in teams to get mainline FF's out 3 years apart from one another. This would ensure a smooth pipeline...and would mean teams can learn, grow and not be moved around loads like what happened in the past 15 years.

Duxxy3

You should note, that the ranking is revenue based and not just units. The $79 version made a huge chunk of cod sales this year.

Also BF1 origin and xbox one bundle sales are not counted in the ranking ;)

Done

Uhhhh... does that mean that BF1 sold more units (when including all sales, including bundles) than IW?

So, not sure why media hasn't jumped on the top 10 lists we provided. Not sure if tabs were a challenge or something. In any case, I'll put these here.

VwrlcCX.jpg

Yup. I still thik the brand as a whole would be rejuvenated if SE scaled back on ALL spin offs. Like eliminated any and all effort on them (okay maybe the mobile ones are too popular to not do this)...but crap like FF explorers we can do without.

Then put all those people to work in teams to get mainline FF's out 3 years apart from one another. This would ensure a smooth pipeline...and would mean teams can learn, grow and not be moved around loads like what happened in the past 15 years.

Agree a FF every 2 to 3 years would be great .
Since they have the FFVIIR this would be the perfect time to that .
SE really need to get there pipeline and big IPs coming out faster .

So, not sure why media hasn't jumped on the top 10 lists we provided. Not sure if tabs were a challenge or something. In any case, I'll put these here.

*image*

so... looking at that list, it seems like the platform split of FFXV isn't nearly as bad as everyone thought it would be?

I mean it's the 3rd game on the Xbox list.

Uhhhh... does that mean that BF1 sold more units (when including all sales, including bundles) than IW?

Even UC4 could've sold more on a unit base as an exclusive

The Ps4 Slim bundle sold 1.2 million in December alone and likely above 2m for the full year.
The bundle was released in September. And the opening month was around 125k if I remember correctly.

But UC4 was already bundled in the limited edition original ps4 back in May.

Bundle sales are enormous these gen

CoD:IW sold around 2.4m units at retail in November

FelipeMGM

VwrlcCX.jpg

Any news about MS, Sony and Nintendo starting to provide digital sales anytime soon?

I wonder why they are against it at the first place

Icolin

Banned

I'd like it if they had 2 or 3 different mainline FF teams all focusing on different styles, or even different settings (a FFVII-esque sci fi setting, and a FFT/FF9/FF6 traditional fantasy setting). One team could make an action RPG styled game, ala FFXV or FFVIIR, and another team that could make a traditional turn based styled game.

I was hoping this was the year for BF to beat CoD. Anyway congrats to both.
Also, I am very pleased to see FF selling well on Xbox, its my favorite of the year. I hope VII and upcoming titles in the series to be on the console aswell.

Very admirable placing for The Last Guardian on the PS4 chart. Does the math from earlier check out? It would place the game at around 300k sales on the NPD chart.

Don't you guys miss an *** there on Forza Horizon 3? Or did microsoft start to provide digital sales to the NPD Group? That would be huge news.
On the other hand Minecraft for WiiU has the asterix!?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Go go Call of Duty: Battlestar Galactica! Such a cool campaign.

Any word on how Shantae Half-Genie Hero did?

Duxxy3

Even UC4 could've sold more on a unit base as an exclusive

The Ps4 Slim bundle sold 1.2 million in December alone and likely above 2m for the full year.
The bundle was released in September. And the opening month was around 125k if I remember correctly.

But UC4 was already bundled in the limited edition back in May.

Bundle sales are enormous these gen

CoD:IW sold around 2.4m units in November

Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

Holy crap that seems insanely low.

Surprised to see Watch Dogs 2 there. I thought the reception was lukewarm.

Also, yay for FF XV. Big budget JRPGs still have a future in the west.

Top Bottom