• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

Is that revenue list just from retail?

Retail + digital from participant publishers on xbox live, Ps network, eshop and steam.

Publisher that do not (yet) share digital data: Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Bethesda, Valve
Platforms that are not included:
Battle.net, origin, uplay, social club, and key sales via reseller websites.

All information provides as far as I know. If I got something wrong, I would love mat to correct me.

Platform percentage splits are a must.
Probably the very last thing the platform holder want to have shared. Especially digital platform share. No way that happens.

I mean the publisher know the digital platform splits, but they never talk about it, because you don't want to make your business partner uncomfortable.

Mooreberg

Looks like coming out just after Black Friday did not hurt FFXV at all. Then again, FFX came out one week before Christmas and did fine.

GTA V... unbelievable. Has to be one of the best selling retail games of all time at this point.

Toth

Yup. I still thik the brand as a whole would be rejuvenated if SE scaled back on ALL spin offs. Like eliminated any and all effort on them (okay maybe the mobile ones are too popular to not do this)...but crap like FF explorers we can do without.

Then put all those people to work in teams to get mainline FF's out 3 years apart from one another. This would ensure a smooth pipeline...and would mean teams can learn, grow and not be moved around loads like what happened in the past 15 years.

Well, without the burden of redesigning an online FF all over again(successfully I might add), there should be no need for quick asset-reused /cut material sequels to mainline FFs at least. 3 years between titles does sound pretty good. We have FFXII: The Zodaic Age and FFVIIr to look forward to between XV and XVI.

Welfare

I don't think Dead Rising 4 is a bomb at all. DR3 was launch title and debut at ~220K and did an additional 306K in December. 315K plus digital with 4 weeks is fine, I think. How many it shipped would be a better gauge on how it did.

I don't think Dead Rising 4 is a bomb at all. DR3 was launch title and debut at ~220K and did an additional 306K in December. 315K plus digital in just a month is fine, I think.
Yes. I think the debut sales are fine for it and if we add atleast 25% digital to it, we get around 400k, which is a good result for the game.

Dead Rising- 337k [360]
Dead Rising 2- 370K [360, PS3, PC]
Dead Rising 3- 212k [XB1]
Which means the sales have been consistent considering no PS4 version for DR4.

Mess at 3DS growing. �� �� ��
Pokemon Stars coming for Switch/3DS

I don't think Dead Rising 4 is a bomb at all. DR3 was launch title and debut at ~220K and did an additional 306K in December. 315K plus digital with 4 weeks is fine, I think. How many it shipped would be a better gauge on how it did.

Yeah that's not a bomb by franchise norms and MS doesn't include digital for NPD

Toki767

You should take into account that they slashed the price in half like a week or two after the game came out.

Welfare

You should take into account that they slashed the price in half like a week or two after the game came out.
That is also true. It probably sold more than something like FH3 but made less revenue than it. That is a problem and we don't have ASP for software.

Maybe that could be an addition to NPD PR.

wapplew

DR4 unrank in Xbox one sold more than TLG rank 9 in PS4, told you how meaningless rank chart without number.

So what's the estimate on GTA V's LTD sales now?

I love GTA V but come of the fuck on people.
They've been regularly releasing free (and substantial) DLC for GTA Online since it released. The last release was two days ago. They do special themed updates every Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day. The game that GTA Online is now is barely recognisable in comparison to the game it was at launch.

The thing I'm curious about is how big the team that works on the GTAO updates is. Is it substantial, meaning that future Rockstar games don't have the full resources allocated to them that they would otherwise have had? Or is it just a smaller team, and all of this GTA Online shark card revenue is being channeled into the dev budget for future Rockstar games?

jjonez18

Going forward. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to expand the available information out there.

That would be great. Especially for some of the more niche titles and/or exclusives. One of the cool things about PAL charts.

That's a good showing for TLG and DR4. I expected so much worse. Faith renewed in Gravity Rush!

shanafan

Every year, we always get the line "Is this the year Call of Duty falls?"

And nope. Even with that massive hate campaign against it, it still comes out on top. I love it.

One of the most downvoted videos on YouTube.. yet still is the highest selling game of the year.

I love it too.

SURGEdude

Wait a sec... Final Fantasy XV sold more copies than a mega hit like Uncharted 4 and it actually sold more in like 1 month than Uncharted 4 in 8 months.

I'm glad to hear it sold well. I must say I'm surprised though, on Gaf it barely registered in contrast to a UC4 or even Gears.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FF and Japanese AAA games don't sell anymore they said, doomed and worse than FF13 commercially they said

Despite my personal opinion on the game itself, i think we can all agree that this kind of information is good news.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Oh I wouldn't say it bombed.
It's just not grabbing a new audience either.

Though you have to consider install base/attach rate when comparing to 3

Welfare

Final Fantasy XIII: 1,322,100
PS3: 828,200 (63%)
360: 493,900 (37%)

Final Fantasy XV: ~1,573,000
PS4: ~1,180,000 (~75%)
XB1: ~393,000 (~25%)

Top Bottom