• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

Holy crap that seems insanely low.

It was down 50% from Black Ops 3.

Mory Dunz

So, not sure why media hasn't jumped on the top 10 lists we provided. Not sure if tabs were a challenge or something. In any case, I'll put these here.

VwrlcCX.jpg

Pokken is number 2 on Wii U charts?

What? Surprising imo

It's defintely outsold TP HD by virtue of legs.
Anyone want to leak it's LTD....? 300-500k?

Wow @ Nintendo in the handheld chart. No third party there, lol.

I mean, Pokemon gobbles up 5 spots and then Star Rush is a new release so that's 6 spots. Not much room lol. I see your point though.

FFXV is the top Japanese game, holy dang. That is SUPER good, and well-deserved. I feel like only the combined Sun and Moon could contest that, do we have combined figures for those?

Uh, contest, yeah.
Pokemon did 4.21m without digital.
FFXV was estimated at 1.51m without digital. Pokemon is still pokemon heh
EDIT: unless you only mean december. If then I dunno pokemon.

I guess the split SKUs are confusing people. OP mentions it's the highest sine 2007, but didn't mention the 4.21m iirc. It could be put there.

ethomaz

Banned
Look at Minecraft Wii u version
Published by Microsoft and no digital sales. That's why I asked mat if they missed an asterix on FH3
But Minecraft Wii U is tracked by Nintendo in Wii U Shop... not MS.

Edit - Minecraft Wii U is not published by MS.

But Minecraft Wii U is tracked by Nintendo in Wii U Shop... not MS.
The publisher is providing the data. Not the platform holder. You don't share your customers data with another party

Well sure the data is technically tracked by the platform holder and sent to the publisher. But they decide to share that with the NPD group or not

crinale

I think I said same thing again about a year ago but association football really is popular in the U.S. now. Time has changed..

xabbott

Any news about MS, Sony and Nintendo starting to provide digital sales anytime soon?

I wonder why they are against it at the first place

I don't think its that they are against it but who would that information help? I assume a store wants to know what people are buying at similar stores to know what to stock/order. With digital items I think retailers can just generate a code even if they don't have the physical card in stock. Or just sell you currency for the digital store in question.

FelipeMGM

Minecraft Wii U is not published by MS... the PS versions not by MS too.

Yes it is

The PS is not, but the Wii U version is

I don't think its that they are against it but who would that information help? I assume a store wants to know what people are buying at similar stores to know what to stock/order. With digital items I think retailers can just generate a code even if they don't have the physical card in stock. Or just sell you currency for the digital store in question.

Why not tho? Everybody else is providing...

TLG at 300k would be great. Would've expected 150-200k and 250 max.

TF2 had a bump in Nov but it launched at 180k on both. It's also under TLG of course and its December but I'm sceptical 9th and 10th PS4 only chart is that high and of course 10th could be much lower than the others.

Xb1 and Ps4 sales in the us for those who want to know the famous "gaps"

2013 - launch period
XB1: 1.82M
PS4: 2m
gap: 0.18M (10%)

2014 - huge xbox one holiday sales
XB1: 4.37M
PS4: 4.69M
gap: 0.32M (7.5%)

2015 - huge holiday sales for ps4 and strong overall year
XB1: 4.93M (up 13%)
PS4: 5.72M (up 22%)
gap: 0.79M (16%)

December 2016
XB1: 1,511K (up 10%)
PS4: 1,558K (down 1%)

2016H2 - launch of Xbox One S
XB1: 3.62M (down 1%)
PS4: 3.51M (down 16%)
Gap: -0.11M (-3%)

2016 - close holiday sales, very strong Q1 for ps4
XB1: 4.73M (down 4%)
Ps4: 5.09M (down 11%)
gap: 0.36M (7.5%)

LTD
XB1: 15.85M
PS4: 17.5M
gap: 1.65M (10.5%)

Edit:
Console sku breakdown

Nov + Dec
Ps4 Total 2,668k
Ps4 Pro 480k (18%)

November
Ps4 Total: 1,100k
Ps4 Pro: 243k (22%)

December
Ps4 Total: 1,568k
Ps4 Slim: 1,200k (76.5%)
Ps4 Pro: 238k (15%)
Ps4: 130k (8.5%)

Xb1 Total : 1,511k
Xb1 S: >1,209k (>80%)
Xb1: <302k (<20%)

So...Jez Corden of Windows Central was right again. This is two months in a row now that he's been correct with his reporting of NPD numbers. Well actually, I guess he wasn't perfect this time, as he reported the PS4 sales at 1568K, 10K more than these numbers show, unless there was a typo on someones part.

Tyaren

Wait a sec... Final Fantasy XV sold more copies than a mega hit like Uncharted 4 and it actually sold more in like 1 month than Uncharted 4 in 8 months.

Wait a sec... Final Fantasy XV sold more copies than a mega hit like Uncharted 4 and it actually sold more in like 1 month than Uncharted 4 in 8 months.

1. Bundles don't count (which constituted a lot of UC4's sales)
2. FFXV is on two platforms compared to UC4's one.

So...Jez Corden of Windows Central was right again. This is two months in a row now that he's been correct with his reporting of NPD numbers. Well actually, I guess he wasn't perfect this time, as he reported the PS4 sales at 1568K, 10K more than these numbers show, unless there was a typo on someones part.
Those numbers are (partially) from windows central. I'm no insider with direct access to npd numbers. And I made a typo. So i fixed the 1568k number. Thanks for letting me know

Exactly... not MS.

Activision owns Blizzard but Blizzard publish their own games... Mojang AB publish Minecraft on Wii U at least in US.

So does rockstar for take-two, what is the point?

ethomaz

Banned
Well it lacks U4 bundles and digital.

And the ranking is by revenue... not units.

Busaiku

Uh, contest, yeah.
It was 2.7 million in November, so it really could go either way.

Will this be something going forward or just a December special?

Going forward. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to expand the available information out there.

You can't make that comparison with the available information.

Don't you guys miss an *** there on Forza Horizon 3? Or did microsoft start to provide digital sales to the NPD Group? That would be huge news.
On the other hand Minecraft for WiiU has the asterix!?

Shoot. That's an error. Oops. Good catch though.

Busaiku

To add some further context for Pokémon Sun/Moon; X/Y was at 4.11 million with digital through July 2014. That would be 10 months.
Sun/Moon is apparently at 4.21 million in 2 months, without digital.

Mory Dunz

To add some further context for Pokémon Sun/Moon; X/Y was at 4.11 million with digital through July 2014. That would be 10 months.
Sun/Moon is apparently at 4.21 million in 2 months, without digital.

dang, the stars aligned I guess.

I'm curious about Color Splash and Pokken. If the upper bounds of the top wii u game is absurdly low, then maybe Pokken's legs aren't that impressive. It's still above games like Splatoon, Smash, though.

Uh, contest, yeah.

I guess the split SKUs are confusing people. OP mentions it's the highest sine 2007, but didn't mention the 4.21m iirc. It could be put there.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for, thanks. I figured Pokemon would be on top. Crazy how well both games did.

Ninman

The 3DS sales are somewhat impressive, if Nintendo focus all their development teams to the switch, like is supposed to, they might have success, but the Switch NEEDS a price cut anyway.

Hastati

Really happy about FFXV, loved the world and characters they created despite the game's problems.

Hopefully its success will have a trickle down effect and encourage more jrpg development.

Actually, how can we qualify this success in terms of expectations and the JP market? Is it enough to encourage SE to take more risks and maybe other JP developers to keep making games even if their market completely shrinks? I don't see Japan moving away from the mobile trend anytime soon.

Sterok

Any estimates on Mario Maker? After its overperformance in Japan and Super Mario Run, I wonder if it managed to push decent numbers.

Welfare

Going forward. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to expand the available information out there.

That is great news! I think the next best addition would be a units chart in addition to the current revenue charts, but as of now this more info than what we had even before the switch to revenue.

Top Bottom