• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2017 (We also have platform charts)

Unfortunate Yakuza 0 (or GR2) didn't chart, but Tales of Berseria deserves its spot. It's the best game in the series, in my opinion at least, and is just generally a good game.

yakuza 0 deserved a spot too man..this tales game looks cool though i never knew about it before

Tales of Berseria charted but not Gravity Rush 2? Man, I can shake the feeling that such an amazing and original game bombed completely and thats just sad. Say what you will about either game but its clear which one took more risks and looks higher budget of the two (hint: it wasn't Namco's game).

Also take into consideration that it came out only a year later after the 3ds release which had a somewhat rocky start

BBS came out well into the PSPs life

Yes, the 3ds base was much lower than the PSP one. I'm really curious about the Ps4 numbers for NA now. Maybe It did more than 1.5 and 2.5.

Usobuko

Banned
what were those people smoking? PC versions of many Japanese games do sell decently which is why many japanese pups have them but they don't sell enough to be the primary platform.

I support games getting exposure from every viable platform but just for the note on Yakuza, it's a Japanese brawler games that have no waifu, bishounen, fantasy elements or anime aesthetics.

That's a very hard sell in today's climate.

Raw64life

Dragon Quest VIII way higher than I thought it would be. Would kill to know the number. Or maybe I'm better off not knowing.

RIP Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2. Two games I have interest in but are waiting for a price drop. Apparently a lot of other people have the same idea.

I'll credit Tales being on there to Namco actually consistently supporting the franchise in the west, something that can't really be said for Sega.

prwxv3

I support games getting exposure from every viable platform but just for the note on Yakuza, it's a Japanese brawler games that have no waifu, bishounen, fantasy elements or anime aesthetics.

That's a very hard sell in today's climate.

Yea it still should get a PC port so more people can play it but I am tired of people overestimating PC potential for many Japanese games that just does not match up in reality.

All we have is the 8.7M announcement. We don't know how much of those are from bundles but I imagine they make up a good portion of total sales.

Rememeber U4 was mainly bundled only in the US. Japan certainly didn't and Europe and Latin America are too busy buying PS4s with FIFA to really consider another bundle.

Yea it still should get a PC port so more people can play it but I am tired of people overestimating PC potential for many Japanese games that just does not match up in reality.

Agreed. As a Yakuza fan, I want more people to play it and get those sales. But at the same time, let's not put ourselves under some illusion as to the actual sales potential of the series.

--

Really impressed by how high up KH is. Probably the most unexpected thing for me this month.

How many Switch consoles can Nintendo sell for March in NPD ? BotW software too ?

Switch is probably something like 700-800k allocated for U.S. out of the 2 million shipment.

Toth

Dragon Quest VIII way higher than I thought it would be. Would kill to know the number. Or maybe I'm better off not knowing.

RIP Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2. Two games I have interest in but are waiting for a price drop. Apparently a lot of other people have the same idea.

I'll credit Tales being on there to Namco actually consistently supporting the franchise in the west, something that can't really be said for Sega.

I really, really hope Tales and DQ games do well here.

Kill3r7

Kinda weird seeing Microsoft at the top of th WiiU chart, ahead of all those first party games.

I expect Minecraft will do very well on the Switch as well. Especially if they get it out during the holidays. In other words Minecraft is going to Minecraft.

Gravity Rush 2? Oh...
d

RIP

Unknown?

Willing to bet NiOh is the next game not to chart in February. It was also like Yakuza/Gravity Rush with one or two copies in select stores.

Agreed. As a Yakuza fan, I want more people to play it and get those sales. But at the same time, let's not put ourselves under some illusion as to the actual sales potential of the series.

--

Really impressed by how high up KH is. Probably the most unexpected thing for me this month.
This saddens me. Why did ppl think it wouldn't do well? It always has did ppl think the numerous games ruined the series? Someone help me out here

JPS Kai

Yakuza surely did well enough to sell through most of The Business, right? Perhaps Atlus' forecast was slightly under expectations and they went too conservative with printing physical copies.

I'd like to see how digital preorder numbers were for this.

blakep267

Willing to bet NiOh is the next game not to chart in February. It was also like Yakuza/Gravity Rush with one or two copies in select stores.
Nah Nioh should chart. The games at the bottom of the January list are probably between 100-200k. Nioh should be able to get 9-10 at least

Last March for example, QB was able to chart at 7 and that sold like 105k

Tales of Berseria charted but not Gravity Rush 2? Man, I can shake the feeling that such an amazing and original game bombed completely and thats just sad. Say what you will about either game but its clear which one took more risks and looks higher budget of the two (hint: it wasn't Namco's game).

Give me Berseria everyday over Gravity Rush 2.

Unknown?

Nah Nioh should chart. The games at the bottom of the January list are probably between 100-200k. Nioh should be able to get 9-10 at least
It was horribly undershipped. Day of release all of the Targets around me got 2-3 copies. Same with Best Buy and not all of them even had copies. I can see it doing more digitally but not much more retail. Plus it's not established which also hurts it's chances.

On Demand

Banned
It's possible a game could have charted in the individual unit sales charts. Remember these charts are based on how much money was made, not sold.

A.K.A......doesn't really tell you anything.

DNAbro

nah it'll probably do well

Also duh KH sells well. this shouldn't be shocking for anyone who follows the series.

”The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017,"

Is there another way to become best-selling hardware?

I can sell a billion pieces of hardware at $1, so units without price playing a factor is a pretty bad measure to gauge health of a platform. Spend is a better one as it takes into account both units and pricing.

Does this include handhelds too? Just wondering if that means the NES Classic outsold the 3DS last month.

3DS is a portable, not included in the console charts. This distinction will likely go away in the next year or two, unless a 3DS successor is unveiled.

No one knows, it could mean not much as X1 has had awful January's.

Sure they do.

Nevermind. Just saw the "dollar sales" note.

Pointless.

Nah.

Maybe now that windows website will post numbers.

PS4 came out on top tho.

The industry's dyin', Cloud.

Kind of kidding but not really.

What you have to look at right now is not so much the output (sales results of games) but the inputs (number of big games, frequency of releases, DLC/MTX strategies, etc).

Look at the earnings results from the big publishers. Almost all are thriving, driven by their games as service model titles. The real money is coming from MTX/DLC in support of the larger games.

Fewer blockbuster titles, but those that exist drive significant post-purchase revenues. This spend is not captured in these rankings.

So, not dying, but changing, rapidly.

prwxv3

I can sell a billion pieces of hardware at $1, so units without price playing a factor is a pretty bad measure to gauge health of a platform. Spend is a better one as it takes into account both units and pricing.

3DS is a portable, not included in the console charts.

Sure they do.

Nah.

PS4 came out on top tho.

What you have to look at right now is not so much the output (sales results of games) but the inputs (number of big games, frequency of releases, DLC/MTX strategies, etc).

Look at the earnings results from the big publishers. Almost all are thriving, driven by their games as service model titles. The real money is coming from MTX/DLC in support of the larger games.

Fewer blockbuster titles, but those that exist drive significant post-purchase revenues. This spend is not captured in these rankings.

Thanks for the input bro. And I agree the industry is just changing.

I certainly expect Nioh to chart next month.

I'm not? This is normal every gen, what is your point? Things will go down then we will get a new gen, rinse repeat, what do you expect?

Sure. With Switch and Scorpio on the horizon, the monthly YoY declines for hardware will (almost certainly) stop.

ethomaz

Banned
”The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017,"

Is there another way to become best-selling hardware?
By revenue.

MS said Halo 5 is the best selling game at launch in the franchise... that was revenue not units.

Kill3r7

This saddens me. Why did ppl think it wouldn't do well? It always has did ppl think the numerous games ruined the series? Someone help me out here

EDIT: Nevermind, I had the wrong release dates.

KH 1.5 released in the US in September 2013.

Software
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PS3)
Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360, PS3)
NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Diablo III (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
FIFA 14 (Xbox 360, PS3, Vita)
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3)
Disney Infinity (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, 3DS)
NHL 14 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Minecraft (Xbox 360)
Saints Row IV (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

KH 2.5 December 2014.

Software

The order of the hardware in parenthesis indicates which version of the game sold best.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
NBA 2K15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
Minecraft (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Just Dance 2015 (Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Destiny (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3)
FIFA 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)

What are your expectations for Switch and Scorpio, if you have any?

I expect 2.8m units for Switch this year. High range of error. I also expect 4.8m combined Xbox One units across all versions (including Scorpio) and 4.6m PS4 units across all versions in the year.

I also know that the only sure thing in a forecast in the video game market is that the forecast will be wrong.

Data/Trends.

KH 1.5 March 2013.

Here is a list of the best-selling games in March 2013:
  1. BioShock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)
  2. Tomb Raider (2013) (360, PS3)
  3. Gears of War: Judgment (360)
  4. God of War: Ascension (PS3)
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
  6. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS): 365,000 units (415,000 with eShop)
  7. MLB 13: The Show (PS3, Vita)
  8. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
  9. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, Wii U)
  10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3)

KH 2.5 release date October 2015.

Here is a list of the best-selling games in October 2015:

1. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
  3. The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
  4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
  5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  6. Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
  7. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
  8. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
  9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)

But you got the release month for both of them wrong lol

KH I.5 was September in US iirc.

And KH II.5 was December.

Usobuko

Banned

Thanks for this info!

EDIT: Nevermind, I had the wrong release dates.

KH 1.5 released in the US in September 2013.

Software
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PS3)
Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360, PS3)
NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Diablo III (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
FIFA 14 (Xbox 360, PS3, Vita)
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3)
Disney Infinity (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, 3DS)
NHL 14 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Minecraft (Xbox 360)
Saints Row IV (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

KH 2.5 December 2014.

Software

The order of the hardware in parenthesis indicates which version of the game sold best.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
NBA 2K15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
Minecraft (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Just Dance 2015 (Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Destiny (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3)
FIFA 15 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)
a bunch of collections were the reference points interesting

Top Bottom