• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

Looks like Breath of the Wild has a much stronger association with the console in the west -
at the very least NA - than Japan.

Hey Mat. Don't have have a very interesting question, but was wondering

How do you think Mario and Rabbids is going to do? Charming looking game buts it's a Strategy game and don't know if that would have a big effect.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm here to contribute the monthly tradition of asking what is the new Tom Clancy Game about and how come I don't see anyone talking about it yet it sales so well.

Splatoon is a beast franchise
1499355306183.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey Mat. Don't have have a very interesting question, but was wondering

How do you think Mario and Rabbids is going to do? Charming looking game buts it's a Strategy game and don't know if that would have a big effect.

You would be correct that strategy games have historically struggled on consoles.

Loudninja

- Though Horizon Zero Dawn has slipped off the overall charts, Piscatella says that it contributed to a resurgence of role-playing games. Along with titles like Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, the RPG year-to-date sales have grown over 50 percent year-over-year.
So awesome.

deleted

This right here is such a fantastic sentence:

- "The launch of Splatoon 2 on the Nintendo Switch, and month 2 sales of Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy drove software gains"

Never expected to see something like that again. A Nintendo 3rd person shooter and a 90s mascot remaster drove the industry this month.

The Zodiac Age top 5 is a great result, especially since there isn't much value in that Remaster at all unlike the Crash Trilogy -- which by the way is still doing amazingly.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nice to see ARMS still in there.

Other than that, Splatoon 2 is a huge success and Crash Bandicoot is a monster.

And JRPGs are selling.

I'm happy.

mreddie

This right here is such a fantastic sentence:

- "The launch of Splatoon 2 on the Nintendo Switch, and month 2 sales of Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy drove software gains"

Never expected to see something like that again. A Nintendo 3rd person shooter and a 90s mascot remaster drove the industry this month.

Nintendo and Crash on top of the sales charts.

giphy.gif

Ridley327

It's rare that I don't see a new Switch go out with at least BotW at our store. It's going to be "that game" a new owner gets for at least a couple of years.

Awesome to see Splatoon 2 top the charts. It seems safe to say that it's the next big thing for Nintendo and they've been doing a good job on capitalizing on its hype.

- Though Horizon Zero Dawn has slipped off the overall charts, Piscatella says that it contributed to a resurgence of role-playing games. Along with titles like Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, the RPG year-to-date sales have grown over 50 percent year-over-year.

why would a game that's not a RPG contribute to resurgence of RPGs?

It's crazy looking back at the reception when Splatoon 1 was first shown off, and devs must be shooting themselves in the foot seeing a port of SF2 up there

So happy to see Splatoon 2 top charts. Game is the tits.

Nintendo has come a long way since the Wii U debacle and I am loving that they are back on top. Switch is an amazing console.

Does it have better legs or the difference between #17 and #20 is so slim that it doesn't really change anything ?

The difference in revs in the lower part of the chart is very slim.

Not a dumb question at all!

Strategy games have been tough on console. But, if one is going to break that mold and sell at outlier levels, it's this one.

To be honest, I just don't know.

why would a game that's not a RPG contribute to resurgence of RPGs?

It's classified as an RPG. letitgo.gif

DxD

Banned
I am so out of touch as a gamer now.
What the hell are people doing in GTA online for 2yrs straight that would be considered fun that people still buy an outdated product?
Then again, I fell asleep waiting at the loading screen. I believe my game is still loading from years ago.
Did they fix this issue yet?

mreddie

What the hell are people doing in GTA online for 2yrs straight that would be considered fun that people still buy an outdated product?
Then again, I fell asleep waiting at the loading screen. I believe my game is still loading from years ago.

Current gen port, online adds new things.

Yjynx

Anyone still remember about how people predicted the doom of the industry few years ago.....

Do we get top 3 HW?

Edit: Crash nice legs...

aBarreras

i dont even like GTA but how the fuck is GTAV an "outdated" product? what the hell

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's classified as an RPG. letitgo.gif

Out of curiosity, just from a category revenue comparison perspective, are loot shooter RPGs/shooter MMORPGs a la Destiny/The Division/Borderlands counted as shooters or RPGs?

Similarly, is Diablo categorized as an action game or an RPG?

gogojira

I'm no analyst but software is moving on Switch, the game has Mario in its name, and it has a very mainstream aesthetic. I'm gonna guess Mario + Rabbids will sell really well.

I'm curious how BotW compares to GTAV on an individual SKU basis right now. Obviously it doesn't stand much of a chance against GTAV on a multiplatform basis, but I do wonder if we're seeing a similar "it's the game almost everyone buys with their new Switch" effect that we see with GTAV and new PS4/Xbox One owners.

Top Bottom