• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

freefornow

Gold Member
This may have been asked and answered in other NPD threads, but are revenue $ totals shared for each software title in the top 20?

Interested to see the Splat/Crash numbers considering full price title vs $40 title.

aBarreras

Out of curiosity, just from a category revenue comparison perspective, are loot shooters/shooter MMOs a la Destiny/The Division/Borderlands counted as shooters or RPGs?

Similarly, is Diablo categorized as an action game or an RPG?

equipments and stats?

RPG

Gurish

So was it true that XB1 was under 100K (or just slightly above 100K) like some people suggested after the leak?

13ruce

Banned
CbZSyId.jpg

Splatoon is killin it naice!
Also Crash doing so well is very cool too!
And Switch doing so well is very nice.
The Wii U was a disaster and seeing a Nintendo Home Console doing well again is very good.

Khezu

Cool for Splatoon.

I wish I liked shooters, the art style and presentation are so good.

Still even if it's not for me, I'm happy to see it do well.

I am so out of touch as a gamer now.
What the hell are people doing in GTA online for 2yrs straight that would be considered fun that people still buy an outdated product?
Then again, I fell asleep waiting at the loading screen. I believe my game is still loading from years ago.
Did they fix this issue yet?

Is it outdated though? What has replaced it?

It's actually kind of shocking that with its insane success, there's almost nothing else like it on the market.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
lol you don't need an NPD guy to tell you these kind of games have no leg.

Heh thats true. I'll just have to take solace in the fact that its already Atlus' best selling title ever while selling at full price.

Still hasnt seen any price drops anywhere either.

Nyoro SF

Breath of the Wild is really crazy here in North America. This game is going to have quite the lasting legacy.

Of course not in comparison with the eternal monster GTAV.

Banned
Splatoon 2 retail outsold retail plus digital combined for most of the games in the top 20. Holy shit. I wonder what the actual sales number with digital is right now? A million?

I am so out of touch as a gamer now.
What the hell are people doing in GTA online for 2yrs straight that would be considered fun that people still buy an outdated product?
Then again, I fell asleep waiting at the loading screen. I believe my game is still loading from years ago.
Did they fix this issue yet?

Your hot take aside, GTA Online has been getting free content updates since practically its inception and letting players create their own missions/races/whatever also keeps them coming back.

phanphare

Banned
I remember back when Splatoon being top 5 in NPD and holding for the next month were legit surprises

now it's sitting in that top spot like it ain't no thang

what a time to be a squid

specdot

The Zodiac Age charting so well just goes to show that Final Fantasy XII was ahead of its time. I'm glad a new audience is enjoying it. Not saying that it didn't sell well back then. Now finish up that VII Remake [part 1 lol] Square.

Sadist

Man Nintendo kicking some serious butt. Really good to see. Hope Nintendo keeps it up.

Hopefully third parties will take note.

I'm really surprised about Splatoon 2. I always expected it to sell well, but at this rate it could easily outsell Breath of the Wild.

DxD

Banned
Is it outdated though? What has replaced it?

It has been 2 years since I last touched it. Is that not considered an outdated product now? You have zelda, horizon, nioh, etc to play this year while newer game like Destiny 2 is around the corner.

NSESN

I remember back when Splatoon being top 5 in NPD and holding for the next month were legit surprises

now it's sitting in that top spot like it ain't no thang

what a time to be a squid
Splatoon went from a new IP that some thought would bomb to Nintendo biggest IP since Animal Crossing.

Eolz

Wait, does that mean that Arms is selling better than Tekken? Latter too front loaded?

edit: also great for Switch and Splatoon, will be better when Nintendo gets better with production.

jrDev

If the leak are accurate, might be less than 100k....
What leak?

Go Splatoon!! Never played the first and am addicted to this one a getting better with each play.
It's great to see both the Nintendo Switch and Splatoon 2 take the number one spot. Hopefully, Xenoblade 2 sees success in America as well.
That's kind of guaranteed I think, or it will be the best selling in the franchise (if it reviews decently). WiiU's sales was dragging down a lot of potential sales for so much software.

I think they mean in the sense of units sold in North America. In which case, there's good odds of that. Globally it's gotta be somewhere in the 2-3 million range, and I'd wager the upper end of that.
May be close to 4 million shipped by the end of the quarter with the way Splatoon 2 is selling.

Asd202

Splatoon 2 retail outsold retail plus digital combined for most of the games in the top 20. Holy shit. I wonder what the actual sales number with digital is right now? A million?

In US? It should around half of that probobly less as it did 330k at retail.

What leak?

Go Splatoon!! Never played the first and am addicted to this one a getting better with each play.

Check the preditions thread.

Out of curiosity, just from a category revenue comparison perspective, are loot shooter RPGs/shooter MMORPGs a la Destiny/The Division/Borderlands counted as shooters or RPGs?

Similarly, is Diablo categorized as an action game or an RPG?

Destiny - Shooter Super Genre, 1st Person Shooter Genre
The Division - Shooter Super Genre, Squad Based Combat Genre
Borderlands 2 - Shooter Super Genre, 1st Person Shooter Genre
Diablo 3 - Role-Playing Super Genre, RPG Genre

With so much genre bleed these days, doing distinct classifications is far from a perfect science.

If the leak are accurate, might be less than 100k....

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

If i wish hard enough will my dreams come true?

Mine haven't.

This pretty much invalidates NPD IMO.

eyeroll.gif

I think they mean in the sense of units sold in North America. In which case, there's good odds of that. Globally it's gotta be somewhere in the 2-3 million range, and I'd wager the upper end of that.

It's nowhere near a million in US. Leak gave us 332k figure for Splatoon 2 retail this month.

ethomaz

Banned
It did 332k and there is a high chance Crash did more.

Top Bottom