• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Nintendo is one of my favorite publishers, and I have to say, how they handled themselves this holiday season is crushingly disappointing.

The industry needs a healthy Nintendo doing Nintendo things. NIN software share is still quite good, and their ASPs are fantastic compared to rest of industry. Just need to get that HW going again. Hopefully NX...

Nintendo is one of my favorite publishers, and I have to say, how they handled themselves this holiday season is crushingly disappointing.

The only Nintendo game I have fallen in love with this holiday season is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I have sunk hundreds of hours into since its release.

And this is reflected by a string of disappointing sales performances in various titles in Nintendo of America's holiday lineup.

In the November 2015 U.S. Games Sales Industry report, Nintendo the publisher suffered from a 61% decline in retail software sales, now representing less than 6% of the total software market.

One of my most favorite Nintendo IPs was Mario Tennis. I absolutely adored the GameCube, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance iterations.

But I didn't even bother to purchase Mario Tennis Ultra Smash because of how soulless it felt. And this seems to be reflected in consumer sentiment.

Way back in November 2004, the Nintendo GameCube's "Mario Power Tennis" sold 98.1K copies.

Now in November 2015, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash couldn't even sell half of that 100K figure.

And even Animal Crossing has regressed significantly. In November 2008 Animal Crossing: City Folk sold 196.4K on its launch according to NPD Group data.

But 'Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival' is far below that benchmark. A solid amount below even half of that 200K figure.

And back in the day, people thought City Folk was a flop.

Luckily, it seems that these two titles were made cheaply and seem to act as spinoffs to pad out the Wii U library before NX releases, so poor performances under the 6-figure mark in the holiday season won't have too much financial impact on the company.

And there is always digital. But still.

I feel like we're all part of a Turing test experiment.

DieH@rd

Banned
All NDP_Mulcair info we got:

NPD Nov 2014
Advanced Warfare - 4.269M
Advanced Warfare bundled copies included - 4.66M

NPD Nov 2015
Blops3 - 4.607M
Blops3 bundled copies included - 4.89M
[that means 283K PS4 bundles sold]

NPD Nov 2015
Fallout 4 bundled copies included - 2.54M
[probably stronger digital sales]

NPD Nov 2011
Skyrim bundled copies included - 2.833M

NPD Nov 2015
Star Wars: Battlefront - 1.725M
Star Wars: Battlefront bundled copies included - 2.1M
[that means 375K Battlefront bundles sold in Nov]

So, using all of his info we get:

375K Battlefront bundles sold in Nov
283K Blops3 bundles sold in Nov
1539M PS4s sold in Nov

1539-375-283 = [up to] 881K Uncharted Collection bundles sold in Nov
XEKZvqe.jpg

hawk2025

Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

lol

Yes, yes.

Surely putting Nixxes on a 360 port was more efficient than having them work on the PC and PS4 versions right away!

N.Domixis

Banned

NPD Nov 2014

NPD Nov 2015
Blops3 - 4.607M

NPD Nov 2015

NPD Nov 2011

NPD Nov 2015

1539M PS4s sold in Nov

XEKZvqe.jpg
third parties marketing deals are paying off. Unfortunatley for ms cod, destiny,and star wars are multi year partnerships.

Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

That's a terrible leading question with very obvious answer. Of course it is less expensive, but with a company the scale of CD they have the ability to do a PS4 version without increasing costs dramatically. The better question he and other journos should have been asking is what is the opportunity costs of not doing a PS4 version and did that offset cost of developing a ps4 version?

Hindsight is 20/20 and the deal to make ROTR Xbox only for a time looks like a bad deal now. Well to everyone but Ben it seems.

The only Nintendo game I have fallen in love with this holiday season is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I have sunk hundreds of hours into since its release.

And this is reflected by a string of disappointing sales performances in various titles in Nintendo of America's holiday lineup.

In the November 2015 U.S. Games Sales Industry report, Nintendo the publisher suffered from a 61% yearly decline in retail software sales, now representing less than 6% of the total software market.

One of my most favorite Nintendo IPs was Mario Tennis. I absolutely adored the GameCube, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance iterations.

But I didn't even bother to purchase Mario Tennis Ultra Smash because of how soulless it felt. And this seems to be reflected in consumer sentiment.

Way back in November 2004, the Nintendo GameCube's "Mario Power Tennis" sold 98.1K copies in its launch.

Now in November 2015, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash couldn't even sell half of that 100K figure.

And even Animal Crossing has regressed significantly. In November 2008 Animal Crossing: City Folk sold 196.4K on its launch according to NPD Group data.

But 'Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival' is far below that benchmark. A solid amount below even half of that 200K figure.

Luckily, it seems that these two titles were made cheaply and seem to act as spinoffs to pad out the Wii U library before NX releases, so poor performances under the 6-figure mark in the holiday season won't have too much financial impact on the company.

and people think NX can afford to wait till 2017 lol...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hindsight is 20/20 and the deal to make ROTR Xbox only for a time looks like a bad deal now. Well to everyone but Ben it seems.
There were people arguing in the exclusivity announcement thread that argued it was a bad financial move from the start.

I wasn't one of them but that point was argued since day 1.

allan-bh

I'm not surprised, this Animal Crossing isn't a proper AC like City Folk, so less than 100k is what should sell.

noshten

What is it with the hate on the halo franchise...people frame it as against 343i now, but i remember the same stuff when bungie ran the franchise

I'm just quoting lyrics

In the November 2015 U.S. Games Sales Industry report, Nintendo the publisher suffered from a 61% yearly decline in retail software sales, now representing less than 6% of the total software market.

Way back in November 2004, the Nintendo GameCube's "Mario Power Tennis" sold 98.1K copies in its launch.

Did SMM and Splatoon(w Bundle) outsell these holiday juggernauts?

I'm not surprised, this Animal Crossing isn't a proper AC like City Folk, so less than 100k is what should sell.

One would think, given the success of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, that the Animal Crossing name would have more recognition.

New Leaf sold 381.2K in its June debut, for example. It seemed like the franchise was in a positive upswing.

So when I saw the performance of Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival as so low I was surprised. Looks like the poor reviews really hurt its sales potential.

jayu26

There were people arguing in the exclusivity announcement thread that argued it was a bad financial move from the start.

I argued that from say day one. It was the wrong game to do it with for both MS and SE. Mass Effect or Fallout would have been another story, but then again EA and Bethesda have smart people running their businesses...

So was Rise of the Tomb Raider over or under 200K?

Cause everyone says around.

I think it's pretty much 200k dead on.

I too thought it didn't make much business sense unless the money was huge. However, even if the money was big there is no way it can be seen as a good deal now. I mean they invested in a outsourced 360 port. No sense.

allan-bh

One would think, given the success of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, that the Animal Crossing name would have more recognition.

New Leaf sold 381.2K in its June debut, for example. It seemed like the franchise was in a positive upswing.

So when I saw the performance of Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival as so low I was surprised. Looks like the poor reviews really hurt its sales potential.

Yeah, Animal Crossing is a very big name, but looking at City Folk first month and Wii U install base, I suppose Amiibo Festival could not go better.

ps: Could you do a favor of check these numbers again?

NPD Nov 2014

creamsugar said last year that bundle sales was 200k, so maybe he was wrong, I don't know.

hawk2025

That's a terrible leading question with very obvious answer. Of course it is less expensive, but with a company the scale of CD they have the ability to do a PS4 version without increasing costs dramatically. The better question he and other journos should have been asking is what is the opportunity costs of not doing a PS4 version and did that offset cost of developing a ps4 version?

Forget CD working on it, just have Nixxes do their thing in two easier platforms instead of the 360.

I don't think this is a case of hindsight being 20/20, by the way. A large number of people called the disaster coming the minute it was announced.

bombshell

Sorry for the repeated inquiry, but since you're here now and in case you missed my post on the previous page, are you able to tell how much the PS4 version of Call of Duty Black Ops III sold compared to the Xbox One version, when including bundles?

NPD Nov 2014

NPD Nov 2015
Blops3 - 4.607M

NPD Nov 2015

NPD Nov 2011

NPD Nov 2015
[that means 375K Battlefront bundles sold in Nov]

1539M PS4s sold in Nov

XEKZvqe.jpg
If accurate, then damn. Uncharted putting in work!

Yeah this is the biggest news to me. Incredible. Was there a huge sale or something?

It was on sale for $20 for ps4 but not sure if it was on sale for Wii. I'm not surprised though a casual game on a casual console with the biggest install base that didn't have the competition of the heavy holiday AAA games.

I don't follow the Wii but I assume Fallout, COD BO3 and Battlefront isn't on that console right?

I don't think this is a case of hindsight being 20/20, by the way. A large number of people called the disaster coming the minute it was announced.
Yeah, RoTR was initially pitched to go up against Uncharted 4 and the PS4 was already leading back then. It wasn't unreasonable to think the game might not do so hot at the time, specially with the sales split on TRDE

Forget CD working on it, just have Nixxes do their thing in two easier platforms instead of the 360.

My hindsight comment was poorly worded. I meant hindsight is 20/20 from MS and SE's perspective. While all of us thought it was a bad idea, they likely genuinely believed in it.

Top Bottom