• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Shenmue

Banned
He's right though.

No he's not. I dislike the "_____ is right though" responses we always get. If you believe this point out where he's right.

His tweets show such a basic 5th grader understanding of exclusivity, which he's holding onto for dear life to prove he's still right.

He's moved the goalposts because by now most people have forgotten what his article really said. In those tweets he's focused entirely on profits as if that was his only assertion in the article. Remember he said that this deal would help the game sell more copies. No he's not right about that at all.

Nameless

Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/675362367669145600

Of all the hills to die on...why not just say "I was wrong", make a crow eating joke and move on?

jayu26

He's right though.
They are making PC and PS4 versions. Did they really offset anything? Like it was mentioned before, the answer to his question is obviously yes. However in the context of Tomb Raider deal he has been wrong from the get go. The man is just looking for an easy out.

But.. they are going to have to pay for it eventually and the sales potential is presumably lower than a uniform multiplatform launch?

I don't get why he's holding onto this flame. Is it a case of being so wrapped into a preset narrative that you try to find any logic that might fit it?

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong smart people on this site), but when you are talking about multiplatform titles, aren't the costs of concurrent development on PS4 and XB1 much lower to the point of being minimal in the overall scheme of things (budget, design, coding, etc.) than last gen when the PS3 and XB360 had such different architecture? It would seem to me that the losses from only releasing on one platform far exceed the benefit of developing only for one this generation due to the similarities between XB1 and PS4. Or am I completely wrong on that?

dugdug

Banned
Kuchera just tweeted this. Surely this is referencing ROTTR, right? If so, shouldn't he have asked that question before posting his opinion piece?

KqqzKVR.png

Something else to take away from this tweet is a response from Pat Guarino. His profile says he used to work at Crystal Dynamics, and, he says there that Nixxes has been doing PC and Sony versions of Tomb Raider games since TR: Legend. (I don't know how to screen cap tweets like that, but, here's the link: https://twitter.com/Patorama/status/675363861495582720 )

Is that something that was already known? Would that mean Nixxes did both the PS3 and PS4 versions of the reboot?

RedAssedApe

Banned

KqqzKVR.png

not sure why he is trying to double down on this. just admit you were wrong and move on. likes the attention i guess despite his use of the word "shaming"

its not even about profitability of ROTR at this point. its about damaging the brand and future earning potential of the franchise. people are just going to remember "ROTR bombed" and to a lesser extent...yeah there were some backdoor shady deals that might have made SE some money in the present.

Something else to take away from this tweet is a response from Pat Guarino. His profile says he used to work at Crystal Dynamics, and, he says there that Nixxes has been doing PC and Sony versions of Tomb Raider games since TR: Legend. (I don't know how to screen cap tweets like that, but, here's the link: https://twitter.com/Patorama/status/675363861495582720 )

Is that something that was already known? Would that mean Nixxes did both the PS3 and PS4 versions of the reboot?

they did ROTR 360 and TR (PC/360) and TR:DE (PS4).

allan-bh

No he's not. I dislike the "_____ is right though" responses we always get. If you believe this point out where he's right.

His tweets show such a basic 5th grader understanding of exclusivity, which he's holding onto for dear life to prove he's still right.

He's moved the goalposts because by now most people have forgotten what his article really said. In those tweets he's focused entirely on profits as if that was his only assertion in the article. Remember he said that this deal would help the game sell more copies. No he's not right about that at all.

About the tweet he's right. I'm not talking about the article (I didn't even read), if he said that would lead to more copies sold, obviously he's crazy.

They are making PC and PS4 versions. Did they really offset anything? Like it was mentioned before, the answer to his question is obviously yes. However in the context of Tomb Raider deal he has been wrong from the get go. The man is just looking for an easy out.

I think that the PS4 and PC versions were being developed at the same time as the XB1 version and got shelved for a time after MS wrote the big check.

sense

not sure why he is trying to double down on this. just admit you were wrong and move on. likes the attention i guess despite his use of the word "shaming"

its not even about profitability of ROTR at this point. its about damaging the brand and future earning potential of the franchise. people are just going to remember "ROTR bombed" and to a lesser extent...yeah there were some backdoor shady deals that might have made SE some money in the present.

they did ROTR 360 and TR (PC/360) and TR:DE (PS4).

he is cut from the same cloth as arthur geis. never admit you are wrong!!

Nameless

http://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

Yet from there, we end up here: The reboot sold more than than 8.5 million units, a franchise record. It also set a Tomb Raider record for launch day sales, and first-month sales. "Tomb Raider ignited and expanded the fan base, pushing the series to a new level. The game’s incredible sales success reflects the passionate response of players,” Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher said in a statement. "Our studio is proud of what we accomplished with the game."

Totally sounds like a sequel would've been impossible/improbable without MS' help.

Toki767

Fucking Christ. As a "journalist" he should know that's blatantly wrong about ROTR's development. Otherwise he is straight up suggesting full out lies to cover up how wrong he is.

To be fair, he's not an actual journalist.

All he does is write opinion pieces.

I love ROTTR. It's probably my GOTY. I hope it has a long life, gets a good pop with PS/PC and goes on to sell more than the reboot. But to see Kuchera do this to himself over this title is just so stinking weird to watch.

75/25 split is too big. I doubt 360 version sold 50k.

I don't know about that... you still have a ton of 360 only owners out there who need games to play and gifts for parents to give their kids... what was really out for the 360 this holiday? Halo and Fallout were both current gen only (XB1/PS4) games. So, with the tens of millions of 360-only owners in the US, it isn't plausible that it was a 75/25 split?

Bioshocker

Lets stop taking unsourced posts with flimsy "information" at face value shall we? Statements without a reputable source have no place in a NPD thread.

So I stand firm with that Crystal Dynamics probably didn't request their game to be an Xbox holiday exclusive. Lol.

Damn I doubt they made enough money to justify the port.

Why did Microsoft want a 360 sku for TR?

It probably would have been fine with a smarter release strategy. Maybe not as good as they would have hoped, but it suffers from SE's silly release strategy just like the XBO version.

I love ROTTR. It's probably my GOTY. I hope it has a long life, gets a good pop with PS/PC and goes on to sell more than the reboot. But to see Kuchera do this to himself over this title is just so stinking weird to watch.

Nah nothing should shock people after how the media was leading up to this gen .

Top Bottom